Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-12-2017, 02:44 PM #1
0_o

0_o

Default Matt Damon basically admits sexually assulting people and paying them off?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/201...-sexual-abuse/

I agree with the headline, what a car crash interview, but this part is especially interesting

He said: "Ten years ago, you made a claim against me and I had a big movie coming out, OK? I have $100 million or I have a movie that is personally important to me coming out, and close to the release of that film, you say, 'Matt Damon grabbed my butt and stuck his tongue down my throat.' We would then go to mediation and organize a settlement. I'd go, 'I don’t want this out there... it's going to be overshadowing the opening of this movie. How much money do you want?'

"The lawyers would get together, and they do this cost-benefit analysis, and they'd go, 'Oh, this is what it's worth.' And I look at the number and go, 'OK, I'll pay it, but you can never talk about this again. You're f------ lying about this, but never talk about this again.

I know hes framing it as false accusations (which of course he would) but just the wording of this suggests to me he has paid off a bunch of people who he has assaulted?
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:17 PM #2

Tbf, just the accusations coming out could be damaging with this new Gulty before being proven Innocent trend in modern times so I can see his point. Still a little suspect though.

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:19 PM #3
0_o

0_o

I can see the point he is trying to make, but I also think he has admitted stuff he did not mean to admit, with his wording here
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 19-12-2017, 12:41 PM #4
-

-

I don't think it sounds like him admitting to anything... he's more saying that certain unscrupulous people, who KNOW that a big release is coming up and that even an unfounded accusation could do massive financial damage, will essentially make something up for the purposes of blackmail and rather than fight it, a lot of people will simply pay what they're asking because that amount will be less than any potential box office losses.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:54 PM #5
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

Saying that we should focus on men who aren't sexual predators as well as making a point to differentiate rape and sexual assault is just sketchy, he sounds shook about something lol.

Last edited by armand.kay; 19-12-2017 at 01:39 PM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:58 PM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

id focus on the scumbags trying to make money out of false accusations

all he is doing is using money to get rid of twats quickly
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 01:20 PM #7
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

His best buddies are the Afflecks, this isn't a big surprise if true

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 01:27 PM #8
Banned

Banned

I think he's just trying to explain the process of what used to happen when allegations came out against stars but he explained it in a terrible way.

He really should leave this topic to people who are better at getting their point across, he keeps sticking his foot in his mouth.

Last edited by Tom4784; 19-12-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 01:31 PM #9
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

look at the case in point of that movie being rush re-shot ready for release this month .... With business so competitive these days, one word, or even a sniff of a perception that someone was up to no good, and a film could be doomed. Competitors are nasty ****s, they don't play by "gentleman's" rules, if they see an opportunity to take advantage, they will.

I have no idea if Matt is guilty or innocent, but it would be really nice, if at least one of these allegations made its way to a courtroom rather than being argued in the press

Last edited by bitontheslide; 19-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 01:35 PM #10
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
look at the case in point of that movie being rush re-shot ready for release this month .... With business so competitive these days, one word, or even a sniff of a perception that someone was up to no good, and a film could be doomed. Competitors are nasty ****s, they don't play by "gentleman's" rules, if they see an opportunity to take advantage, they will.

I have no idea if Matt is guilty or innocent, but it would be really nice, if at least one of these allegations made its way to a courtroom rather than being argued in the press
That's the hazards of being a celebrity I guess though nothing is private and people are nosy. I'm not saying it's right but it's true. How would you stop it coming out?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 19-12-2017, 01:40 PM #11
Banned

Banned

I think in every case so far though that's adversely affected someone's career, there's been some sort of proof involved otherwise companies probably wouldn't be able to rip up contracts over false allegations without facing lawsuits down the line.

Weinstein's been corroborated by too many people for it to be realistically a lie, Kevin Spacey admitted it. A fair few abusers have come forward to try to get out in front of it.

I can't really think of a case where someone's been declared guilty by the press without some sort of proof because it would be dangerous for them to do so since they could get done for libel.
Old 19-12-2017, 01:47 PM #12
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I think in every case so far though that's adversely affected someone's career, there's been some sort of proof involved otherwise companies probably wouldn't be able to rip up contracts over false allegations without facing lawsuits down the line.

Weinstein's been corroborated by too many people for it to be realistically a lie, Kevin Spacey admitted it. A fair few abusers have come forward to try to get out in front of it.

I can't really think of a case where someone's been declared guilty by the press without some sort of proof because it would be dangerous for them to do so since they could get done for libel.
I understand what you are saying, and it may well be true. But people can if they want co-ordinate an attack on someone that is completely false. Then people say ... no smoke without fire, and they are guilty before they know it.

If people are guilty, get them in front of a court and prove it, until then they are innocent.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 01:51 PM #13
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
I understand what you are saying, and it may well be true. But people can if they want co-ordinate an attack on someone that is completely false. Then people say ... no smoke without fire, and they are guilty before they know it.

If people are guilty, get them in front of a court and prove it, until then they are innocent.
Libel is a thing.

I can't think of anyone that has been accused by the media yet who hasn't been guilty. Like I said before, most major media outlets won't touch stories that can't be verified.
Old 19-12-2017, 08:20 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Libel is a thing.

I can't think of anyone that has been accused by the media yet who hasn't been guilty. Like I said before, most major media outlets won't touch stories that can't be verified.
I can't remember now where I read it but there was an interesting article on why there are so many more accusations about american celebrities and not so many about british (I know there are generally more of them but ratio wise there's a big difference) and it was basically put down to the First Amendment and freedom of press, and that it's much more difficult to sue for libel in America than it is in the UK, and in America you don't need to have proof to make accusations publicly whereas I think you do over here. Not sure if this is entirely relevant lol but your post reminded me of it, and with your last sentence, although that would very much be the case in the UK, I don't think it is at all in the US.

Edit: I found the article I was talking about...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42070575

It's interesting how different ours and the US's laws are about this sort of thing

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras

Last edited by Jamie89; 19-12-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 11:35 AM #15

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

I didn't read the article ,Who has he allegedly assaulted men ?or women? or maybe both are accusing him .

I'm not a Matt Damon fan but ever since the Harvey Weinstein scandal it's open season on every male in the Hollywood/TV business .

It's guilty to pay off people but sometimes people do that even when they're innocent , why don't you question the so called victims accepting the dirty money , if you'd been sexually harassed why would you accept hush money from the sleeze bag ?? .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 22-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 10:02 AM #16
0_o

0_o

I would absolutely accept hush money from a sleazebag if I needed cash at the time. Reporting to the police gets you nowhere, infact gets you blames a lot of the time..might aswell have one positive thing out of it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23-12-2017, 04:41 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I would absolutely accept hush money from a sleazebag if I needed cash at the time. Reporting to the police gets you nowhere, infact gets you blames a lot of the time..might aswell have one positive thing out of it.
Accepting "hush money" literally makes the victim look guilty . Especially the private pay offs outside court which look suspicious on both sides .

Saying reporting sexual harassment to the police " gets you nowhere" , is the wrong attitude yo have .

Money doesn't solve a thing , if the victim has genuinely been abused / assaulted what Is money going to do!? and the accused is still walking the streets Scott free.

Last edited by GoldHeart; 23-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 23-12-2017, 04:43 PM #18
You know my methods

You know my methods

"matt Damon felt my tits once on set"

Here is $50,000

"Oh yes Thanks, bye"
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 05:06 PM #19
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Accepting "hush money" literally makes the victim look guilty . Especially the private pay offs outside court which look suspicious on both sides .

Saying reporting sexual harassment to the police " gets you nowhere" , is the wrong attitude yo have .

Money doesn't solve a thing , if the victim has genuinely been abused / assaulted what Is money going to do!? and the accused is still walking the streets Scott free.
The victim is blamed anyway. And reporting to the police does get you nowhere.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23-12-2017, 11:09 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
The victim is blamed anyway. And reporting to the police does get you nowhere.
Actually as soon as any man gets accused , instantly the victim is allowed anonymity but the alleged predator has his name thrown across the media and it's always guilty until proven innocent with little evidence . And he's automatically labelled a "pervert" .

I know genuine abuse gets unreported and the police don't always get the right person, and prison sentences for rape is a joke literally 2 years if that !! .

But you have to admit the harassment allegations are out of control, and mud sticks . Even if someone is WRONGLY accused and proven innocent it's still ruined their career and people will always have doubts about them .

All I know is I wouldn't accept money and if you're innocent you shouldn't feel the need to "pay someone off " . This isn't like claiming accident insurance .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 23-12-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 24-12-2017, 12:25 AM #21
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Just to add to that Gold heart, the last thread where a British woman was raped and murdered, the thread was hijacked with people basically saying it was her own fault for getting a cab on her own because apparently if a woman dares to travel on her own after midnight anything that happens is then her fault but men are the victims here.......clearly

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
admits, assulting, basically, damon, matt, paying, people, sexually