Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:00 PM #226
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That's really not the point, but we're going in circles so I guess this'll have to be another "agree to disagree" thread for me today.
No problem, we can't always agree :

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM #227
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Not really if you have paid for the ticket, if I go to the airport I expect my bag to go through xray, I don't generally don't expect to be patted down particularly when I have removed everything that could set the scanners off, so clearly they go off at random whether you have anything of note on your or not, is it a big deal? not really
Of course it's a choice, if you're going into a club you have the choice of not going to the club if you don't want to be searched, your life won't change for it. Going through metal detectors and such is basically part of the agreement of going to these places. Being randomly stopped on the street and being forced into a mandatory search is not the same thing especially since it's nothing but prejudice deciding who gets chosen or not.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 PM #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
This is where it starts to get really complicated though Kirk. You're right, it IS greed rather than need, but that's not the whole story. Also to claim that there's no link between the wealth levels in an area an crime is simply false; it's not an opinion, the statistics speak for themselves. Lower average income = higher crime in an area, and this has been the case throughout history.

But no its not need. Even if you take drugs out of the equation (need/greed with drugs I guess is a WHOLE other debate), you have to look at the question, why are people so greedy? And the answer for me is, our world is set up for greed. Our world is ALL about consumerism, and many people are just spiritually void... We're constantly hammered with advertising, both overt and subliminal, that says "you need X! You NEED Y! You REALLY REALLY need Z!" - most of it crap that no one actually needs. But that combined with this toxic consumerist idea that "the more flashy stuff you have, the better you are doing in life" creates real issues.

Take people who are down and out and miserable (for a whole HOST of reasons, but often sue to hopelessness) and tell them that they'll feel better if they have more "stuff", and you end up with dejected, morally depleted people who just want to "take stuff".

Again like the other thread... It's not really bleeding heart. I don't want to scoop these little cherubs up and give 'em a hug or anything like that. I just know that logically, the best way to tackle crime is to try to find out why people become criminals in the first place and nip it in the bud, rather than waiting until they're already on the streets carrying weapons and then try to tackle it there. Realistically, by that point its too late,you can stop them hurting someone today but when it comes down to it, that is still a violent PERSON willing to hurt other people for their own gain, and taking a knife away from them doesn't solve that problem.
^ A GREAT post, T.S - and I DO agree with a lot of your points.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 PM #229
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Oh,as long as your hands are warm Michael
I don't need to use my hands
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
search, stop