Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM #26
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
No, I don't, REALLY. Says more about your lifestyle than mine if you think drug taking is normal and acceptable.
Why isin't it? We have already normalized two of the most damaging drugs in existence through the magic of legislation.

Do you have difficulty telling the difference bewteen drug abuse and drug use? What's so abhorrent about me smoking a joint and monging out with a stick of pepperoni in front of the telly? I enjoy myself and I hurt nobody in the process.

Most people always have and always will want to alter their conciousness. By virtue of statistics alone it is normal.

Last edited by Stu; 10-02-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM #27
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No, I don't, REALLY. Says more about your lifestyle than mine if you think drug taking is normal and acceptable.
You're so unbelievably docile, clearly cigarettes and tobacco are far more deadly than cannabis is. The only reason you refuse to accept that fact is because of their legal status and becuase you daren't do anything that could possibly disrupt the status quo
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM #28
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Doesnt say anything about my lifestyle at all.

It simply says I am realistic to understand that lots of people do use illegal drugs for recreational purposes.

It also says I am open minded enough to accept that some people will use them, but that doesnt make them bad people.

Why dont you ask your kids if they ever tried them? Watch the look on their faces. That look of horror wont be at the thought of trying drugs, it will be at the thought of admitting it to you.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM #29
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Well we don't really have life here go guess it's possible most will be released at some point in their life (depending on age). I do wonder how many would actually vote though, I doubt it would be the majority. Might as well let them do it, don't think it will change things a whole deal.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM #30
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I am just glad to see that it is possible on issues to have all parties coming together, Europe is a divisive issue in politics but on this the right decision has been made together.

However the battle now is with Europe again and it is for the govt to try to overturn the ruling that prisoners in the UK must have the vote,

However the govt has said this vote is not a binding one on the govt, who will have to assess whether it will defy the European court and so have to pay millions in compensation or still implement votes for some prisoners.

It would though be an absolute disgrace to allow murderers to have the vote, when the people they murdered have by no fault of their own been denied their right not only to vote but live their lives by those who murdered them.

Loss of liberty which is what prison means, means you are segregated from society for the good of society and you should lose all the privileges of being part of that society while in prison.

On this I domn't envy David Cameron's new position,he has MPs of all parties saying he has to defy the European court, if he does he risks losing any cooperation from Europe and still in the end taxpayers will have to pay millions in compensation to prisoners.
If he does nothing and gives the vote to some prisoners, he will be damned there too by his own party and MPs from other parties.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM #31

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am just glad to see that it is possible on issues to have all parties coming together, Europe is a divisive issue in politics but on this the right decision has been made together.

However the battle now is with Europe again and it is for the govt to try to overturn the ruling that prisoners in the UK must have the vote,

However the govt has said this vote is not a binding one on the govt, who will have to assess whether it will defy the European court and so have to pay millions in compensation or still implement votes for some prisoners.

It would though be an absolute disgrace to allow murderers to have the vote, when the people they murdered have by no fault of their own been denied their right not only to vote but live their lives by those who murdered them.

Loss of liberty which is what prison means, means you are segregated from society for the good of society and you should lose all the privileges of being part of that society while in prison.

On this I domn't envy David Cameron's new position,he has MPs of all parties saying he has to defy the European court, if he does he risks losing any cooperation from Europe and still in the end taxpayers will have to pay millions in compensation to prisoners.
If he does nothing and gives the vote to some prisoners, he will be damned there too by his own party and MPs from other parties.
Yes, it's a case of the Government being damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I just hope they stick to their guns.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM #32
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes, it's a case of the Government being damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I just hope they stick to their guns.
Its a tricky one for him but if he can get a new ruling it will be massively to his credit. He can argue he has the whole of the UK parliament behind him on this though,not just his own party. Indeed the vast majority of the UK too, because I think also in a referendum, the voters would vote against giving prisoners the vote too, by a massive margin likely too.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM #33
0_o

0_o

A bit off topic, but about this whole drugs thing...recreational drug taking is a LOT more common than peole think it is.

Also, it doesnt really harm anyone(except on the rare occasion the person who is chosing to take the drugs) so I dont see why people who take drugs are made out to be evil or something :S

The exception to this, in my eyes, are heroin addicts, but that is only because of an experience when I was younger that kinda made me think all smackheads were vile and should burn in hell :/ (involving a needle, and my 3 year old brother, and a park...not going into any more detail)
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Its a tricky one for him but if he can get a new ruling it will be massively to his credit. He can argue he has the whole of the UK parliament behind him on this though,not just his own party. Indeed the vast majority of the UK too, because I think also in a referendum, the voters would vote against giving prisoners the vote too, by a massive margin likely too.
I think the majority of people would be against the Strasbourg ruling - It's not as if prisoners, once they've served their sentence, remain disenfranchised because that is NOT the case. The only people who are going to benefit either way are the greedy Human Rights lawyers such as Cherie Blair.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM #35
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Yeah coz the majority realise that the ruling comes from the European Court of Human Rights and that has nothing to do with the European Union.

They could go the opposite way and demand ALL prisoners be given the vote and start ordering compensation payouts, larger compensation payouts than expected and with a much longer backdating.

Or he could simply ask them if allowing only prisoners with less than 4 years to go till release will realise their rulings. After all he has now held a parliamentary debate on prisoner voting which was one of their points raised in the original ruling.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
A bit off topic, but about this whole drugs thing...recreational drug taking is a LOT more common than peole think it is.

Also, it doesnt really harm anyone(except on the rare occasion the person who is chosing to take the drugs) so I dont see why people who take drugs are made out to be evil or something :S

The exception to this, in my eyes, are heroin addicts, but that is only because of an experience when I was younger that kinda made me think all smackheads were vile and should burn in hell :/ (involving a needle, and my 3 year old brother, and a park...not going into any more detail)

I have absolutely no problem with anyone shoving whatever drugs into their own bodies so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else, and that includes heroine, cocaine or whatever. I was specifically talking about those drug users who have obviously committed some crime or other as a result of their addiction that has resulted in them being banged up in prison, but I don't really care what the crime is - the whole point of prison is segregation from society and deprivation of certain rights and privileges for the duration of the sentence. Unless prisoners are in prison for life, they are not permanently disenfranchised.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 PM #37
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with anyone shoving whatever drugs into their own bodies so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else, and that includes heroine, cocaine or whatever. I was specifically talking about those drug users who have obviously committed some crime or other as a result of their addiction that has resulted in them being banged up in prison, but I don't really care what the crime is - the whole point of prison is segregation from society and deprivation of certain rights and privileges for the duration of the sentence. Unless prisoners are in prison for life, they are not permanently disenfranchised.
But you can get prison for just posession. You dont necessarily have to do anything to harm others or anything...

I remember freaking out once in newcastle as I had a couple of E on me (holding on to for a mate unfortunately, not mine ) and I saw police
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 PM #38
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
Hardly shows prisoners who will be released during the term of the most recent election that society wants them to reintegrate back eh?

But hey ho lets just line Cherie Blair and Co's pockets for the next few years. Run up millions in legal aid for prisoners to sue or attempt to sue the government for restricting their right to vote.
And there's the rub. No legal body, even the eminent ECHR, could refuse the potential mass litigation goldmine in this mockery of not only our national sovereignty, but also the very principle of human rights.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
But you can get prison for just posession. You dont necessarily have to do anything to harm others or anything...

I remember freaking out once in newcastle as I had a couple of E on me (holding on to for a mate unfortunately, not mine ) and I saw police
Unfortunately, if possession is deemed a crime under UK law, then there are probably consequences if caught, but I doubt a first offence would merit a prison sentence, unless you had a couple of pounds of heroine or something concealed about your person!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 PM #40
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
And there's the rub. No legal body, even the eminent ECHR, could refuse the potential mass litigation goldmine in this mockery of not only our national sovereignty, but also the very principle of human rights.
Exactly the process of claiming the compensation would be even funnier, they apply to the UK court and it would get rubber stamped without even an email to any part of Europe.

I think its a ploy by Cameron to be seen to be standing up to the ECHR, in a few weeks/couple of months it will be quietly announced that prisoners with less than a year or similar time frame will be allowed to vote, minimum back dated payments made to the date of the original ruling.

It is however amusing to note that in the 19th century only criminals sentenced to above 12 months lost the right to vote. Losing the right to vote when incarcerated isnt based on common law.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM #41
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Unfortunately, if possession is deemed a crime under UK law, then there are probably consequences if caught, but I doubt a first offence would merit a prison sentence, unless you had a couple of pounds of heroine or something concealed about your person!
You do realise than in some cases certain citizens of the UK have been sentenced to prison for what are simply debts. I am not talking about committers of fraud or any other crime.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM #42
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
You do realise than in some cases certain citizens of the UK have been sentenced to prison for what are simply debts. I am not talking about committers of fraud or any other crime.
You are right on that, that is another thing that needs sorting out and changing. The guidelines of the Law and sentencing needs total change.
As you say people can be sent to prison,wrongly in my view for as you point out debts.
They should not go to prison at all, or people who haven't a TV licence and other silly small crimes, also the prisons have too many people in with mental health problems,serious ones too,that will only get worse in there.
I would certainly agree that those you mention above should not be given a custodial sentence at all.

Last edited by joeysteele; 10-02-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 PM #43
Banned

Banned

What-the-actual-flying-f*ck at this topic.

I think it's stupid to take away the vote from prisoners really, there's not a 'Stabby Stabby Kill Kill' Party they can vote for so what's the harm? Like I always say in topics like this, why don't you cut out the middle men and just execute anyone that's ever accused of anything. Hang all the murderers and anyone that's had a lick of drugs that aren't legal or prescribed and heck, why not shoot that kid in the face for not crossing the road properly? Best shoot him now then for him to shoot up crack later on... It's a slippery slope idolised by bloodlusting armchair warriors who are out of touch with today's world and have a sheltered view of life. So i'm with the 'usual suspects' on this one, they're the only ones that have spoken a lick of sense in this topic. The rest is just paranoid ramblings from a person who takes the media's views to heart.

Angus, I've got to ask you some things....What exactly is a liberal bigot? is it like an anti-bigot? Someone that hates on white and straight people? top marks for making me laugh throughout the whole topic. You're such a hoot.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:51 PM #44
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

-votes Stabby Stabby Kill Kill in 2014-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM #45
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
-votes Stabby Stabby Kill Kill in 2014-
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 AM #46

Yes MP's Voted
but it does not change the Law of Europe.

So we know most do not want them having Vote
but the problem is we are Stuck under EU controls

Last edited by arista; 11-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 02:57 AM #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
The vote should be something that all humans should have, it is a right I consider to be universal, I dont think you can pick and choose who deserves to be able to vote and who doesnt. When you do that you elevate one set of humans over another, essentially treating them as subhuman.
I don't think you've thought through what you've just said. Should ten year olds and people in France be allowed to vote in British elections? You say that the vote is a 'universal' 'right' that 'all humans should have', and that we can't 'pick and choose who deserves to be able to vote', so I assume your answer is yes. Am I correct?
CookieDough4000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:24 AM #48

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieDough4000 View Post
I don't think you've thought through what you've just said. Should ten year olds and people in France be allowed to vote in British elections? You say that the vote is a 'universal' 'right' that 'all humans should have', and that we can't 'pick and choose who deserves to be able to vote', so I assume your answer is yes. Am I correct?
Yes, that is exactly what MTVN is saying. Unbelievable isn't it?
New Labour really did a number via the shambolic education system on a whole generation of suckers didn't they?

So glad I kept my kids out of the state system (and no, I didn't pay a penny in school fees, they both won scholarships having inherited their brains from me)

Old 15-02-2011, 08:44 AM #49
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Well Europe sadly will likely not bend an inch on the Human Rights act,also no other country seems to be moaning at it either so its unlikely the govt can get away with not giving at least some prisoners the vote.

It cannot risk the having to pay taxpayers money at this time in compensation to prisoners, all it can hope for is that to give the vote to a certain classification of prisoners can still be withheld while giving it to the rest.

I was glad the MPs voted against this and don't think any prisoner should have the vote,while also conceding that there are a great number of people in prisons who should not be,who should be dealt with in other non-custodial means.

My elation that the MPs voted against giving the vote to prisoners is also matched with disappointment that well under half of our elected MPs even bothered to vote in the debate. I feel that will weaken the govts chances of winning much on this with Europe.

yes, Europe to the person who said I was wrong to say this was a EU issue and that is was only eith the European court of Human Rights,of course the Court has made this ruling but the Human Rights act came from the EU so that is how the govt has to try to get a new deal out of the EU on the Human Rights act for this one but I cannot see it happening.

Hopefully though no major crime committing prisoner will get the vote under any agreement with the Court and the EU in the future.
Old 15-02-2011, 10:46 AM #50
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieDough4000 View Post
Well we have to make a disticntion between adults and children because they are fundamentally different. Children arent allowed the vote because they arent considered to have the ability to make a correct decision, prisoners have it denied just out of a desire for retribution and revenge. Being a prisoner doesnt make you suddenly unable to decide who is best fit to run the government; like Dezzy said it wont suddenly mean the Stabby Stabby Kill Kill party will come into power.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ban, mps, prisoners, vote