Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
That's true but I still think the act would be so abhorrent that it'd be fairly easy for anyone with a conscience not to act on any urges they have. And though only a tiny minority of people will go through life celibate a lot of people still do it, and those who don't may easily go months, maybe even years without having sex. I don't think it's the knowledge that at some point in the future they will have sex that stops people acting on their urges, it's just that they know there's obviously no justification for doing it without consent
It's not just about preventing from acting on urges, it's the fact they would feel guilty just by finding a child attractive in the first place. There would be no reason for someone who is attracted to adults to feel guilty.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 PM #27
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
That's true but I still think the act would be so abhorrent that it'd be fairly easy for anyone with a conscience not to act on any urges they have. And though only a tiny minority of people will go through life celibate a lot of people still do it, and those who don't may easily go months, maybe even years without having sex. I don't think it's the knowledge that at some point in the future they will have sex that stops people acting on their urges, it's just that they know there's obviously no justification for doing it without consent
I would like to think most people will have that chain of thought in their minds if they ever feel the urge to do something and I'm sure they do.

Still for those that go their entire lives not engaging in sex that people like us take for granted as a typical human luxury because the people they are attracted to are grossly underage, they have my deepest condolences.
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM #28
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica‪ View Post
It's not just about preventing from acting on urges, it's the fact they would feel guilty just by finding a child attractive in the first place. There would be no reason for someone who is attracted to adults to feel guilty.
Unless they like fancied Dot Cotton or something
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 PM #29
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well coming to grips with that guilt is something that can happen when people seek help, which like Livia pointed out is available for those that want it
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 PM #30
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I've always wondered how bad it must be for people to realise they are sexually attracted to young children. I'm sure if they had a choice most would much rather pick a different sexuality.

Fair play to those who go through life without acting on those desires. I try to think about it as being a person that can't act on my heterosexuality. It would be a tough life.
This is a very thoughtful and sympathetic view, I totally agree.
It must be hell to repulse yourself and know your feeling and emotions are illegal.
I feel this should be treated like a mental health issue, voluntary chemical castration perhaps to remove the pain of attraction?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM #31

Quote:
Well coming to grips with that guilt is something that can happen when people seek help, which like Livia pointed out is available for those that want it
I was giving an example of an extreme self preventative paedophile. You missed my point completely.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 PM #32
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I was giving an example of an extreme self preventative paedophile. You missed my point completely.
No I didn't and don't bloody facepalm me

Again this comes back to whether paedophilia is innate or learned. If it's the latter and someone doesn't even try to get help in an attempt to 'unlearn' it well then they should feel guilty. It's better to try and confront your urges rather than try and lock yourself away from them.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
voluntary chemical castration perhaps to remove the pain of attraction?
I don't think that would even slightly make a difference, they would still have the ability to abuse via other means. It wouldn't remove the attraction or impulses either.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 PM #34
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I don't think that would even slightly make a difference, they would still have the ability to abuse via other means. It wouldn't remove the attraction or impulses either.
Are you sure about that, How else would they ? why the face palm and the headscratching? Just discuss the topic without the patronising please.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 PM #35
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
No I didn't and don't bloody facepalm me

Again this comes back to whether paedophilia is innate or learned. If it's the latter and someone doesn't even try to get help in an attempt to 'unlearn' it well then they should feel guilty. It's better to try and confront your urges rather than try and lock yourself away from them.
Was your sexuality innate or learned?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 PM #36
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
This is a very thoughtful and sympathetic view, I totally agree.
It must be hell to repulse yourself and know your feeling and emotions are illegal.
I feel this should be treated like a mental health issue, voluntary chemical castration perhaps to remove the pain of attraction?
Just like on most things in the serious debate section I'm no expert and this is all just pure conjecture on my part but Mental health issue is probably the way I would go with it too. I think where I struggle to think of it as a 'sexuality' is because of what separates this from most conventional sexualities like heterosexuality/homosexuality etc. I.e the attraction is to people who are pre-pubescent and therefore not generally having bodies that are ready to engage in sex. Also there is the morality factor too, we rightfully place protection on people up until a certain age where the responsibilities of sexual contact can be explored at a reasonable maturity.

I think so long as society on the whole is ready to openly accept people who put their hands up and say they have these urges or feelings or whatever and want help without the response of 'string the bastards up by the short and curlies ' then we are heading in the right direction.

Not sure where I stand on chemical castration. Not a topic I've really given much thought about tbh Kizz.

Last edited by Kyle; 01-05-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 PM #37

Quote:
Are you sure about that, How else would they ? why the face palm and the headscratching? Just discuss the topic without the patronising please.
Well, with their hands for a start? I'm not trying to patronise anyone, I'm expression my thoughts.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 PM #38
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Was your sexuality innate or learned?
Innate but as I said earlier there is no scientific consensus on whether paedophilia is the same, many experts would dispute that it is an orientation the same as homosexuality or heterosexuality
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 PM #39
User banned

User banned

if they can't help the way they feel and are doing their utmost to not act on their urges I don't see why they should be stigmatised

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 01-05-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 PM #40
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

This article addresses quite a lot of the issues, this is what it has about innate vs learned

Quote:
there is a growing conviction, notably in Canada, that paedophilia should probably be classified as a distinct sexual orientation, like heterosexuality or homosexuality. Two eminent researchers testified to that effect to a Canadian parliamentary commission last year, and the Harvard Mental Health Letter of July 2010 stated baldly that paedophilia "is a sexual orientation" and therefore "unlikely to change".

Child protection agencies and many who work with sex offenders dislike this. "Broadly speaking, in the world of people who work with sex offenders here, [paedophilia] is learned behaviour," says Donald Findlater, director of research and development at the Lucy Faithfull Foundation, a charity dedicated to preventing child sexual abuse, and, before it closed, manager of leading treatment centre the Wolvercote Clinic. "There may be some vulnerabilities that could be genetic, but normally there are some significant events in a person's life, a sexually abusive event, a bullying environment … I believe it is learned, and can be unlearned."

Chris Wilson of Circles UK, which helps released offenders, also rejects the idea that paedophilia is a sexual orientation: "The roots of that desire for sex with a child lie in dysfunctional psychological issues to do with power, control, anger, emotional loneliness, isolation."
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM #41
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Well, with their hands for a start? I'm not trying to patronise anyone, I'm expression my thoughts.
This is serious debates hard to take you serious expressing yourself via emoticons... However, your comment 'with their hands' tells me you're not aware what chemical castration is.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM #42

Quote:
This is serious debates hard to take you serious expressing yourself via emoticons... However, your comment 'with their hands' tells me you're not aware what chemical castration is.
I am perfectly aware of what it means, I was referencing this definition.

It doesn't completely remove the urges, it just seems to reduce the frequency, also it's completely reversible. I just don't think there's any point in it. It's just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 PM #43
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Innate but as I said earlier there is no scientific consensus on whether paedophilia is the same, many experts would dispute that it is an orientation the same as homosexuality or heterosexuality
I don't think there have been enough studies to form a concrete scientific analysis, for some reason the subjects don't feel they can come forward with impunity maybe?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 PM #44
0_o

0_o

Quote:

It doesn't completely remove the urges, it just seems to reduce the frequency, also it's completely reversible. I just don't think there's any point in it. It's just my opinion.
If the person felt unable to leave the house because of how they felt, surely this would be a good option? At least for a trial..if it can numb urges and such.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 PM #45
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Thankyou for the wiki definition, with medication and ongoing support the issue could be managed and controlled in a similar way as say schizophrenics?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 PM #46
Banned

Banned

Quote:
This article addresses quite a lot of the issues, this is what it has about innate vs learned
I don't understand why people would even think about considering it as a sexual orientation, to me orientation refers to the gender you're attracted to whether it's one or both. Peadophillia is a demented fetish and even thinking of considering it anything like a sexual orientation sounds like a justification to me.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM #47
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I don't understand why people would even think about considering it as a sexual orientation, to me orientation refers to the gender you're attracted to whether it's one or both. Peadophillia is a demented fetish and even thinking of considering it anything like a sexual orientation sounds like a justification to me.
It may be just a deviance, who knows. To you it might do, as said how many studies are there?
If they don't act on their urges they are innocent, like a psychopath that hasn't killed anyone yet.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 PM #48
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It may be just a deviance, who knows. To you it might do, as said how many studies are there?
If they don't act on their urges they are innocent, like a psychopath that hasn't killed anyone yet.
Not all Psychopaths kill though, the ones who don't usually wreck lives in some other way.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 PM #49
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
Not all Psychopaths kill though, the ones who don't usually wreck lives in some other way.
And I would think not all pedophiles abuse kids, they might just become reclusive and suicidal?
Who knows, it is a really odd thing to try to imagine isn't it?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 AM #50
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
And I would think not all pedophiles abuse kids, they might just become reclusive and suicidal?
Who knows, it is a really odd thing to try to imagine isn't it?
It's not something I'll give much thought to probably.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
19, interview, paedophile, year