Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Sadly so Kizzy.

I made an effort to discuss this in a balanced way rather than just from selective dislike of individual or Party.
Sadly that apears impossible to do.

The more worrying thing about this is, someone pleading guilty to a wrong/crime,who is then given a legal punishment,duly completed too..
Who after 11 years on from that now spent conviction, should according to a few here,never get given work again.

It makes you wonder why we bother with a judicial system of crime and then punishment /rehabilitation.
Perhaps we should just leave it to these armchair kangaroo uncompromising personal courts.
Yes, no, yes, no.

When a punishment is duly completed, it can still carry a reputation and that reputation may or may not cause problems for certain work roles in the future.

An example of that is the care industry. If someone has had a previous conviction for abuse of the elderly, regardless of that conviction being spent, they are not likely to get a job anywhere in the care sector again.

This particular woman deeply regrets what she did. She's paid for her crime and she's probably a very safe candidate to take on but she's got a reputation and that reputation is corruption within politics. That reputation will inevitably raise suspicion in future elections, regardless of how honest or not she is.

The right-wing media aren't going to let this go and her name will be used again and again to blacken the reputation of the Labour party.

Re-employing this woman doesn't sit well with me because of all the siht that comes with it. I want the Labour party to go from strength to strength but things like this don't help.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 AM #27
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Yes, no, yes, no.

When a punishment is duly completed, it can still carry a reputation and that reputation may or may not cause problems for certain work roles in the future.

An example of that is the care industry. If someone has had a previous conviction for abuse of the elderly, regardless of that conviction being spent, they are not likely to get a job anywhere in the care sector again.

This particular woman deeply regrets what she did. She's paid for her crime and she's probably a very safe candidate to take on but she's got a reputation and that reputation is corruption within politics. That reputation will inevitably raise suspicion in future elections, regardless of how honest or not she is.

The right-wing media aren't going to let this go and her name will be used again and again to blacken the reputation of the Labour party.

Re-employing this woman doesn't sit well with me because of all the siht that comes with it. I want the Labour party to go from strength to strength but things like this don't help.
It's the way the left wing media works. It's all a great big pantomime.

Last edited by Livia; 08-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 AM #28
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Closed mind? it's been in the public domain for over a year...

“I foolishly signed council papers to say that I had completed work that I hadn’t, which involved signing the details of whoever occupied the address to be an accurate record — details that were already on the electoral roll.

“I admitted to doing this on 20 forms — which amounted to fraudulently claiming £21.15".

In 2016 Momentum issued a statement about Ms Thompson's criminal past, saying “Marsha-Jane’s conviction is now spent. She has always been open about the conviction, which she still deeply regrets, with her employers.”

This 'expose' is nothing but a clumsy deflection. Is it in the same ball park as the expenses scandal...is that up for discussion?
It certainly exposes his arrogance to me. With all the adoration by some it seems he thinks he is untouchable.

Many of his young fans will ignore it and he knows it. But it’s a gamble as there will also be many that won’t and the opposition and the media will have a field day at election time. But when some people describe you as a ‘God’ you are flying high... in more ways than one.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM #29
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

The god like status chimes as the ravings of a fevered mind brillo, he gave someone a second chance following a misdemeanor 11yrs ago... that's it.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 AM #30
User banned

User banned

Quote:
The god like status chimes as the ravings of a fevered mind brillo, he gave someone a second chance following a misdemeanor 11yrs ago... that's it.
I would re-direct that at those that idolise him that way ... hmm.

You know and we know if it had been May that appointed an election fraudster in the cabinet you would be chomping at the bit.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 AM #31
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

People warrant 2nd chances, this individual was not as part of her punishment, barred from being employed in politics.

Comparing this to care abuse or where physical injury or physical harm has been done to another is not in my view appropriate.

She got community service 11 years ago, now it is down to others in a position to,to either employ her or not.
Whether that is good judgement is another matter.
It's also for time to tell.

Fine if some people will never give anyone another chance for one misdemeanour, that's up to them.
Not everyone has to follow such an extreme line thankfully.

Otherwise re offending could be more bigger an issue.

Even an MP, convicted and even sent to prison for under a year, can then still,if they wish,stand for re election to Parliament.

Last edited by joeysteele; 08-11-2017 at 11:38 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 AM #32

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post

You know and we know if it had been May that appointed an election fraudster in the cabinet you would be chomping at the bit.
Yep,the place would be in an uproar about how 'useless she is' .

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 PM #33
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Wink

Quote:

Actually that's not true.

Anyone giving someone a 2nd chance for one wrong done especially over a decade ago,would get credit from me,whether I liked them or not.

When David Cameron was in bother re Coulson.
I was one who on here stuck up for him standing by a friend.

I said at the start this wasn't Corbyn's wisest move,it's not however a necessarily wrong one.
However alli you possibly want rather than a real serious debate,is a run of Corbyn bashers agreeing with you.

I do my best to avoid your threads, I should have held that counsel of mine and not waste my time thinking there could result any fair or balanced discussion here on this one again.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 PM #34
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Who idolises him? ...

Once again you appear to be fixated on my reactions in this thread, so much so I have the sneaking suspicion that the entire premise for your constant Corbyn related threads is to perpetuate your low level trolling and baiting across SD of late.
You have no interest in the subject at hand other than to seize on the reactions of myself and other members.

For the record no mater what Corbyn does or does not do May will continue to be useless as well as ineffective as PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
It's the way the left wing media works. It's all a great big pantomime.
Yes well thanks for that intelligent response Livia!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM #36

Quote:
People warrant 2nd chances, this individual was not as part of her punishment, barred from being employed in politics.

Comparing this to care abuse or where physical injury or physical harm has been done to another is not in my view appropriate.

She got community service 11 years ago, now it is down to others in a position to,to either employ her or not.
Whether that is good judgement is another matter.
It's also for time to tell.

Fine if some people will never give anyone another chance for one misdemeanour, that's up to them.
Not everyone has to follow such an extreme line thankfully.

Otherwise re offending could be more bigger an issue.

Even an MP, convicted and even sent to prison for under a year, can then still,if they wish,stand for re election to Parliament.
Abuse of care could be anything. It could be forging a postal vote for someone they support. Most abuse within care isn't physical, its devious and so my example is appropriate.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:37 PM #37

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Quote:
Oh another pointless Corbyn bashing thread.
This is where a thread starts to go downhill.
Joey and DM give balanced and respectful views on a perfectly legitimate thread.
Why can't you? Another case of pushing buttons to derail a thread you don't like.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:38 PM #38
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Abuse of care could be anything. It could be forging a postal vote for someone they support. Most abuse within care isn't physical, its devious and so my example is appropriate.
Sorry but no way would I agree this greed/paper crime and conviction has any credible comparison to any physical crime.
This person wasn't actually caring or even employed in direct care for anyone either.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM #39
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

There is nothing new in any of this really, lessons just never seem to be learned. Who remembers all the fun with Jeffrey Archer, then there was the cash for questions chap, Peter Mandelson, the list is endless. Each one of those came back and held prominent positions after misdemeanors, and guess what, when given another chance, they each messed up again.

Politics is corrupt to the core at all levels. To stamp it out, we would need to get shot of them all.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM #40
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Joey and DM give balanced and respectful views on a perfectly legitimate thread.
Why can't you? Another case of pushing buttons to derail a thread you don't like.
I agree.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 PM #41
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Who idolises him? ...

Once again you appear to be fixated on my reactions in this thread, so much so I have the sneaking suspicion that the entire premise for your constant Corbyn related threads is to perpetuate your low level trolling and baiting across SD of late.
You have no interest in the subject at hand other than to seize on the reactions of myself and other members.

For the record no mater what Corbyn does or does not do May will continue to be useless as well as ineffective as PM.
No surprise you resort to the old and tired baiting and trolling allegations. Your no 1 weapon of annoyance. I reply to your threads for several different reasons, in this case because you are being evasive. Everyone on here knows by now how into the guy you are - he can do no wrong in your eyes. You see him through rose-tinted glasses.

That makes your views on him dubious in my opinion.

Last edited by Brillopad; 08-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:59 PM #42
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

This is your thread not mine, I am a Labour supporter and he is the Labour leader.
I see now that your constant Corbyn related threads are nothing but a rouse to goad me into commenting so you can personally attack me for my political views.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:00 PM #43

Quote:
Sorry but no way would I agree this greed/paper crime and conviction has any credible comparison to any physical crime.
This person wasn't actually caring or even employed in direct care for anyone either.
My point is, abuse of power, to do something deceitful to any person, vulnerable or not, is wrong and rightfully punishable. When that deceitfulness is done within a particular work role, a similar work role at a future date should, imo, not be an option, especially if employing that person could inflict a bad reputation on that company.

Its got nothing to do with compassion or pity and all to do with 'damage limitation'; something most employers take very seriously.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:03 PM #44
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
My point is, abuse of power, to do something deceitful to any person, vulnerable or not, is wrong and rightfully punishable. When that deceitfulness is done within a particular work role, a similar work role at a future date should, imo, not be an option, especially if employing that person could inflict a bad reputation on that company.

Its got nothing to do with compassion or pity and all to do with 'damage limitation'; something most employers take very seriously.
So we're back to the expenses scandal? That was an abuse of public office for monetary gain or fraud as it's more commonly known, that was quite swiftly swept under the carpet for most.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 PM #45

Quote:
So we're back to the expenses scandal? That was an abuse of public office for monetary gain or fraud as it's more commonly known, that was quite swiftly swept under the carpet for most.
Well, I wasn't specifically talking about that but seeing you brought it up, yes, the same applies or should of.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:15 PM #46
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Point being it isn't... Because this is a more targeted attack on Corbyn specifically.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:27 PM #47

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
For goodness sake.

The Leaders have only met and discussed plans on Monday.
Politics is rife with bad appointments in the last few decades and recent past in ALL Parties.
The lot of them.

Be as selective in only singling out one leader and party all you like but don't expect others to consider that fair or the only instance/s.
Its the only 2 ive heard about,i will say when i hear abiut theressa doing the same as i dont follow any party as they are all the bloody same.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:32 PM #48

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But an accountant convicted of fraud and false accounting...would you use the same forgiving stance and give a convicted pedo a job in the local education comittee?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:20 PM #49
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
But an accountant convicted of fraud and false accounting...would you use the same forgiving stance and give a convicted pedo a job in the local education comittee?
What is this, bizarre hypothetical day? LOL
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM #50
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
It was specifically structured to go downhill... Do you think the OP had a balanced debate in mind when creating it? No of course not. I am wise to these now and will be avoiding them in the future.
I thought all the anti Corbyn threads started by the OP had been lumped into one super Corbyn bashing thread anyway? this one must have missed the memo.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
appoints, convicted, corbyn, fraudster, office, parliamentary