Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Was the Big Man right or wrong to throw the boy off the train?
Right 23 56.10%
Right
23 56.10%
Wrong 18 43.90%
Wrong
18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-12-2011, 01:36 AM #576
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
Wonders if Main senior will be buying Main junior some driving lessons and a car for Christmas!
Nah a scotrail season ticket and a ball gag to be fitted at stations either end of his journey
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 01:39 AM #577
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
Nah a scotrail season ticket and a ball gag to be fitted at stations either end of his journey
With a lifetime guarantee not to be seated anywhere close to punters from Wishaw who won't stand for any nonsense!
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 01:43 AM #578
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
With a lifetime guarantee not to be seated anywhere close to punters from Wishaw who won't stand for any nonsense!
Scotrail might decide to give him his own carriage, a wee doddery bogey thing towed behind the train.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 03:02 AM #579
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
Does the father mean he would assault someone who had assaulted his son, or assault someone who had assaulted another person. Or does he mean he would attempt to prevent someone throwing another person off a train?

Either one would be borderline assault, depending upon the intent behind it, if you see a person committing an assault or in the process of committing an assault, you are allowed to intervene and prevent an assault using the minimum force necessary to achieve that legal aim.

You arent allowed to assault someone else after they have assaulted someone simply to give a bit of payback.

You are though depending upon the severity of the inital assault allowed to use force to restrain the inital assaulter in order to hand them over to the police(citizens arrest). Bearing in mind if the person you restrain complains you may be liable for prosecution for assault or even unlawful arrest.

So yob may be done for fare dodging, he may also lose his place at university. Oh and sometime soon his dad is going to have that father-son talk about foul language (bet he is cacking himself).

Meanwhile Sams dad is lining up lawyers for a compo case and rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of all that lovely free money.

Ticket Inspector is "on leave" and may face disciplinary action

Mr Pollock is on time off and may be prosecuted and possibly lose his job.

Bet they all love the person who videoed this incident and posted it online.

Ban mobile phones with videos on public transport now. Before someone gets seriously hurt. Its only a question of time before someone turns up at a hospital saying "doctor can you remove this phone from my a***?"

BIB

Quote:
Asked what he would have done if he had been a passenger and seen Pollock throwing another student off a train, Mr Main said: ‘I wouldn’t stand for it —his feet wouldn’t have touched the ground.’

Main snr seems to think it's not okay for Pollock to have 'assaulted' his son (or any other student), but it is okay for him (Main Snr) to assault Pollok if he witnessed Pollock doing what he did to another student. That's the way I'm reading it anyway. If so, it is complete and utter double standards from the man shouting about 'assault' in the first instance.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 17-12-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 17-12-2011, 07:17 AM #580
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23638345/

Big Man has been offered a job
Old 17-12-2011, 08:18 AM #581

Arrow Update .....

Was the Big Man right or wrong to throw the boy off the train?

Right 22 55.00%
Wrong 18 45.00%
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 08:34 AM #582
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I am plesed to see that slightly more now agree with the action of Mr Pollock. It is not usually an action I would support,to manhandle someone else but I have said on this thread I think it was justified after the failure of the conductor to act correctly and efficiently himself and to be getting nowhere as to the teenager leaving the trrain at all.

Mr. Pollock didn't just wade in, he asked the official,(the conducter),first, did he want him to get the teenager off the train.

It is not an action I would like to see as generally done on public transport but in this instance, clearly things were going nowhere and so since the teen would 'not' leave the train and was getting abusive in this instance,well I would have smiled at the result after Mr Pollock's intervention.

As for Mr Main snr, well he needs to instil some respect for 'other people' going about their daily business into his son.

Had I acted like this teenager(just still a teenager though), my Dad would have really got at me first for attempting to use something I had no legitimate right to and also for becoming abusive in a public place.
I'd have been marched back to the Rail company to apologise for my behaviour and although he wouldn't have liked someone else manhandling me, speaking to my Dad yesterday he said in that instance,I would have got what I deserved.
I agree with him on that completely in this particular instance.

This has been a good thread,it has stirred up good debate and emotions on all sides of the argument,it will be interesting to see what the final tally of voting leaves the result to be.

Last edited by joeysteele; 17-12-2011 at 08:36 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 09:10 AM #583
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
There's a difference between using violence on a nonviolent person and using violence on a violent person, not that either is particulary commendable
I agree with this.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 17-12-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: removed as second part had already been answered :L
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 09:12 AM #584
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie
75% Trish

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
if you read that article it seems that even his new employers don't think he handled the situation correctly

Quote:
We run a training programme which would help him to develop the correct skills to better handle situations like the one he found himself in

Last edited by fruit_cake; 17-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.
fruit_cake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 09:16 AM #585
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am plesed to see that slightly more now agree with the action of Mr Pollock. It is not usually an action I would support,to manhandle someone else but I have said on this thread I think it was justified after the failure of the conductor to act correctly and efficiently himself and to be getting nowhere as to the teenager leaving the trrain at all.
I will ask you too then joey...if it had been a female, or an elderly person behaving in the way the student did...would you be commending the big mans actions then?

No dodging the question like others have by throwing about stereotypes of 'older people wouldnt act like that' either
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 11:00 AM #586

Exclamation Ticket inspector stabbed on C2C train from Southend to London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16229921

Quote:
A ticket inspector has been stabbed on a C2C train travelling from Essex into London, prompting an investigation by British Transport Police (BTP).

The attack at East Tilbury happened on the 20:20 Southend Victoria to London Fenchurch Street service on Friday.

BTP said the inspector had asked two men without tickets, aged about 18, to leave the train. They got off, but one returned and stabbed him in the back.

The inspector was said to be in a comfortable condition in hospital.

Officers are now looking through CCTV images and are appealing to any passengers on the train who witnessed anything to contact them.

'Severely punished'

One of the suspects wore a black hooded top and the second a grey flat cap and grey top.

The police force said there had been four ticket inspectors on the service at the time of the stabbing and that they worked in pairs.

Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union representing many railway workers, said anyone with any information should contact police urgently.

"Once again it shows the dangers that transport staff face every day and particularly over the Christmas and new year period.

"The perpetrators of this vicious and cowardly assault must be caught and the authorities need to show that those who attack public service workers will be severely punished," he said.
The other side of the coin, eh .....

Last edited by Omah; 17-12-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 17-12-2011, 11:00 AM #587

Vicky

Of course Not
if it was a pissed female
next station with Female Staff and Female Lesbo Police

Note: There is nothing wrong with Lesbos
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 11:10 AM #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post

The other side of the coin, eh .....

I hope they Arrest that Evil Punk

Last edited by arista; 17-12-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 17-12-2011, 03:14 PM #589
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I will ask you too then joey...if it had been a female, or an elderly person behaving in the way the student did...would you be commending the big mans actions then?

No dodging the question like others have by throwing about stereotypes of 'older people wouldnt act like that' either
I didn't see your question. I won't dodge the question - I won't give an opinion on it because that's us back to 'what ifs' situation again.

This story may or may not have had a different outcome if it was a female: but as it isn't - it's the situ we have as is, that we're discussing, not the 'what ifs'.
Old 17-12-2011, 03:21 PM #590
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
I didn't see your question. I won't dodge the question - I won't give an opinion on it because that's us back to 'what ifs' situation again.

This story may or may not have had a different outcome if it was a female: but as it isn't - it's the situ we have as is, that we're discussing, not the 'what ifs'.
This is just question dodging disguised with an excuse.

The real reason you're not answering the question is because you know full well that you can't, as you wouldn't hold the same opinion on this if it were a woman or an elderly person...basically double standards. And you just won't admit to that. You'll deny this and try to shy away from it all you want but it's evident for all to see, you won't answer the question because you'll expose your double standards.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 03:25 PM #591
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

You already did answer Pyramid

Quote:
I will be honest here: if it was anyone giving the conductor verbals the way this guy did: I don't care what age or sex the person is - I still would not have found fault.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 03:36 PM #592
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
You already did answer Pyramid
Thanks MTVN - all the better then. Although my most recent comment does still apply - that isn't what happened anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball
I will be honest here: if it was anyone giving the conductor verbals the way this guy did: I don't care what age or sex the person is - I still would not have found fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
This is just question dodging disguised with an excuse.

The real reason you're not answering the question is because you know full well that you can't, as you wouldn't hold the same opinion on this if it were a woman or an elderly person...basically double standards. And you just won't admit to that. You'll deny this and try to shy away from it all you want but it's evident for all to see, you won't answer the question because you'll expose your double standards.
What was that you were saying Jack - seeing as you missed it as well.
Old 17-12-2011, 03:48 PM #593

Right 22 55.00%
Wrong 18 45.00%

Yes The Big Man was Right

The Pissed Student Punk is Guilty
Old 17-12-2011, 03:59 PM #594
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas_cake View Post
if you read that article it seems that even his new employers don't think he handled the situation correctly
A bit downmarket compared to who the Big Man works with....

Quote:
Alan – a manager with Ł2.3trillion asset management firm BlackRock
Old 17-12-2011, 05:14 PM #595
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

Oh Vicky you do know how to stump me a bit and you do sort of have me there,in fact my answer would have to be no,I wouldn't support that action in that instance, having said that I have often found as a student some females far more vicious and physical than some males.

However, as I say you have me a bit in the corner with that question though, I have been brought up to respect women and also the elderly and as you asked me to not sidestep and say older people wouldn't act like that, my answer would then have to be no, I wouldn't support such action in that scenario you outlined.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 05:20 PM #596
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Oh Vicky you do know how to stump me a bit and you do sort of have me there,in fact my answer would have to be no,I wouldn't support that action in that instance, having said that I have often found as a student some females far more vicious and physical than some males.

However, as I say you have me a bit in the corner with that question though, I have been brought up to respect women and also the elderly and as you asked me to not sidestep and say older people wouldn't act like that, my answer would then have to be no, I wouldn't support such action in that scenario you outlined.

I've seen women with a drink in them being aggressive and foul mouthed - and many of them can be far more vicious & far more scary than even this guy was - if it had been such a woman -it may have required more than just one Big Man to sort her out....... !

Last edited by Pyramid*; 17-12-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 17-12-2011, 05:22 PM #597

Exclamation Bottle of whiskey poured over train conductor

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/21...rain_conductor

Quote:
CCTV images of two suspects wanted over an attack on a railway conductor near Redhill on Wednesday morning (November 30) have been released by police.

The victim, a staff member on a Southern service from London Victoria to Ore in East Sussex, was set upon after asking two men for their tickets at around 6.30am.

They had not paid and refused to leave the train when asked, then swearing at the conductor and threatening to attack him with a whiskey bottle.

One of the men tried to throw a punch at the conductor before the other poured the contents of the bottle over him.

The two men left the train at Redhill, taking the empty bottle with them.

Inspector Jack Ioannou, of the British Transport Police, said: “This pair’s behaviour towards the member of staff, who had quite rightly asked them for their tickets to travel, was completely unacceptable.

“This was a degrading assault on a man who was simply trying to do his job and we’ll do everything we can to track down the pair responsible.”
A conductor's lot is not a happy one when he has to deal with thugs .....

Last edited by Omah; 17-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 17-12-2011, 05:23 PM #598
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
75% Trish

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I've seen women with a drink in them being aggressive and foul mouthed - and many of them can be far more vicious & far more scary than even this guy was - if it had been such a woman -it may have required more than just one Big Man to sort her out....... !
fruit_cake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 05:31 PM #599

Quote:

Yes which proves the Big Man was right
even though it was a Pissed Student Punk
and not like your current story pick of thugs
Old 17-12-2011, 05:39 PM #600
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/21...rain_conductor

Quite - anyone working with Joe Public and is fully customer facing, has to put up with this kind of sh*t - and it ain't right. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas_cake View Post
Don't know what the need for the bored smiley is: it's true - women can be vicious as hell & I'm quite sure you know that.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
19, dodger, fare, leave, passenger, refusing, thrown, train, year