Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 14-09-2009, 07:26 PM #51

[rquote=2570496&tid=147617&author=Appearance_Of_A_J unky][rquote=2570484&tid=147617&author=nut]

[/rquote]that would p** me right off i dont want to know about what beans they are eating the have been telling me every day and its only day 34 like ******* will i put up with that for another 59 days sorry talking about the same old sh*t they said yestarday and jeff as just wiped his arse with andrex bog roll is not what i want to see or hear about every time the narrator speaks i dont want to hear him selling me anything I hope they try to save BB not kill it even more than i can be killed FFS doing what you are saying i will turn off and i think most of the die hard fans will do the same IMHO[/rquote]

And BB, because of the nature and the way its shot, would be filled with PP. Just not good.

It will be bad enough in normal tv, why should BB be made worse by it (and I think its fair to say that it would be).

DAY 76

Jeff and Tanya argue about who's sheets are the whitest.

Bobs task is to decide which brand has whiter sheets.

[/rquote]exactly! if they moan they have sh** amount of viewers watching now, god help them if they try and pull that s**t! they will be lucky to get 100 people watching after all how many people sit and watch adds ? most turn over till they finish or go make a cup of tea no one watches adds = no one will watch BB
nut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 07:33 PM #52
Im Not Dead Yet

Im Not Dead Yet

And BB could be one of the worst programs for it,

every appliance
every bit of furniture
every bit of bedding
every food item - would the housemates be given a brand choice in the shopping list?
C4 would get every item for free and then close up on them. After all, the companies would want airtime, and they only care about viewing figures not content.

It would be a nail in BB's coffin....

The opening sequence would be like the scene from Fight Club where everything he owns becomes a catalog item.

Appearance_Of_A_Junky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:00 PM #53
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

I am sure if the government relax the regulations banning product placement they will bring in something to ensure it isnt blatant or as in your face as you seem to think it will be.

All it should be is the fact brand names need no longer be covered and manufacturers like Kellogs could approach TV production companies and ask them to use their products as opposed to others in kitchen shots etc.

I wouldnt worry too much about it as we will have certain forum members taking the opportunity to harangue the Advertising Standards Authority as well as Ofcom and Oftel in order to ensure we dont get brainwashed by product placement.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:04 PM #54
Im Not Dead Yet

Im Not Dead Yet

[rquote=2570593&tid=147617&author=Shasown]I am sure if the government relax the regulations banning product placement they will bring in something to ensure it isnt blatant or as in your face as you seem to think it will be.

All it should be is the fact brand names need no longer be covered and manufacturers like Kellogs could approach TV production companies and ask them to use their products as opposed to others in kitchen shots etc.

I wouldnt worry too much about it as we will have certain forum members taking the opportunity to harangue the Advertising Standards Authority as well as Ofcom and Oftel in order to ensure we dont get brainwashed by product placement.[/rquote]

Oh, I don't think it will be that bad at all, but its just the start. I like being able to watch a TV program without seeing brand names on everything, it was one of the good things about British programming even on the commercial channels.

People turn the adverts over for many reasons - isn't it possible that one of those reasons is they are becoming sick of the constant bombardment we are already getting?

And unfortunately companies will try underhanded tricks, what we might fine them? they get more advertisement on the news and they have already had the influence, its hardly an incentive.

Im not one to phone in and complain, but on a forum I will discuss it, especially when regarding the desperate need to hold onto this concept of a show, even thinking that it will be a good thing just to save BB?
Old 14-09-2009, 08:08 PM #55
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

[rquote=2570602&tid=147617&author=Appearance_Of_A_J unky]

Im not one to phone in and complain, but on a forum I will discuss it, especially when regarding the desperate need to hold onto this concept of a show, even thinking that it will be a good thing just to save BB?[/rquote]

PMSL It wasn't you I was referring to AOAJ, with the complaints thing. And you know it

But yeah I can appreciate your points about it being the start of a slippery slope.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:11 PM #56

[rquote=2570593&tid=147617&author=Shasown]I am sure if the government relax the regulations banning product placement they will bring in something to ensure it isnt blatant or as in your face as you seem to think it will be.

I wouldnt worry too much about it as we will have certain forum members taking the opportunity to harangue the Advertising Standards Authority as well as Ofcom and Oftel in order to ensure we dont get brainwashed by product placement.[/rquote]Iv seen it done in films, but it will not work with BB no one will spend the kind of money C4 will ask to flash they'er product for a few seconds every once in a while and if they over flash products or mention them then even more people will turn off than they have done already!

time to face facts Big Brother is dead after 2010 no one wants it, all this talk about saving the program with add placing is clutching at straws not even LF will save BB The GBP dont care for the show anymore only hard core fans do and this product placing sh*t will kill most of them off.
nut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:13 PM #57
Im Not Dead Yet

Im Not Dead Yet

[rquote=2570616&tid=147617&author=Shasown][rquote=2570602&tid=147617&author=Appearance_Of_A_J unky]

Im not one to phone in and complain, but on a forum I will discuss it, especially when regarding the desperate need to hold onto this concept of a show, even thinking that it will be a good thing just to save BB?[/rquote]

PMSL It wasn't you I was referring to AOAJ, with the complaints thing. And you know it

But yeah I can appreciate your points about it being the start of a slippery slope.[/rquote]

LMAO no, sorry I didn't actually know - though I should of realised.

I was just in rant mode (though I will defend what I have said).

It is a very slippery slope - these big companies have strong lobbists, they can flex their muscles too easily and get away with it (supermarkets and the cost of milk) they donate money to electoral candidates in the hope of favours later on - but they do it for both parties. Its a shame to see this come into this country.

Im too lazy to phone and complain, anyway my soapbox doesn't have a landline.
Old 14-09-2009, 09:51 PM #58
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing,
I will have to wait and see.
Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 01:06 AM #59

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):

[rquote=2569551&tid=147617&author=merv]Why!? PRODUCT PLACEMENT, thats why.
For the first time permission as been given for Television company's to show/advertise products on British Television shows.
For years aired programs have not been allowed to, BB always puts stickers over the products, Tee Shirts slogan, Soaps show products with labels facing away from Camera.
Under new rules, if advertisers pay for the product to be shown they can now do it.
And it's worth Millions to them.
BB as the potential to be in the Big Earners making it very viable to keep it going.
Watch this space.[/rquote]

I'm sure someone mentioned this already but BBUSA has been doing that for many years.
Why it worked:
Guests (as they are called) having lost food challenges and eating peanut butter and jam sandwiches for a week win a McDonalds Order-in and as you can imagine are almost orgasming over how amazing and good it tastes mmmMMM!
Good.
or,
Selected Guests 2 months without television get a special 'premiere showing' of an upcoming movie on a big screen television. Not only do they scream and dance over seeing 'Cop Buddies Pt. 3' but afterwards everyone else asks them about it, talks about it, raves about it.
Good.

The bad:
Guests seen and heard loving Coke and specialty ice-creme are then talking about their herpes ointment while the other talks about how his anus was once bleeding after an older client sodomized him and another is being reported for trying to finger and creep HMs.
I suppose every sponsor who had a product placement in BBUSA 6 was absolutely horrified to associate any products with nearly anyone in that season.
Probably asked BB to put 'digital blurs' for any repeats or box-set DVDs afterwards.

Do they really want Marcus holding a big bright can of lucozade while he eats his own toenail clippings?
How about BB9 Alex threatening to shoot someone and uses her York chocolate bar as if it were the gun 'pow pow'.

I dunno.. I don't have official numbers but it sure did seem like BBUSA really dropped a lot of product placements and I can barely remember any in BB9 for example.
A 'safe' bet though is things like the biggest most beautiful plasma screen television with 'Sony' prominently featured. Its not 'personally associated' with any HM so its a safer bet.

ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 01:17 AM #60
Im Not Dead Yet

Im Not Dead Yet

ElProximo - all your points sound bad though - do we need people orgasming over a crappy burger? We had that with Mohammed last year it wasn't good to see...
Old 15-09-2009, 05:42 AM #61

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[rquote=2571160&tid=147617&author=Appearance_Of_A_J unky]ElProximo - all your points sound bad though - do we need people orgasming over a crappy burger? We had that with Mohammed last year it wasn't good to see...[/rquote]

Heh well I know who came up with the hilarious idea of putting Mo in a room full of food to engorge his gluttony till he was sickened lol!

But yeah, when I say 'good' I mean it was good for the sponsor to see half-starved young people squealing and dancing over their cheeseburgers heh,
but,
No it wasn't fun for us the viewers and even worse is that on live-feed they would discuss wanting to get advert contracts with various sponsors.. ..and would later be seen putting on little 'skits' over the products:
The storeroom is opened and glamour-girl clone screams and bounces wildly "OH MA GAHD.. I SO LUVVVVV BREYERS ICE-CREME OH YUMMMYYY!!!!"
Then is sure to be holding the container (label facing cams) and oopsy.. dripping it down her plastic boobs and mentioning the name 4 times lol.
(I am not even exaggerating I swear it).

Another odd thing was seeing the 'McDonalds Task/Prize' and then on the next episode the video from that was then edited into an advert that ran on the program.

I dunno.. I can see them doing it for sure but it might not go over so well with the audience in the UK who has much less tolerance for that sort of thing.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:10 AM #62
Im Not Dead Yet

Im Not Dead Yet

[rquote=2571214&tid=147617&author=ElProximo][rquote=2571160&tid=147617&author=Appearance_Of_A_J unky]ElProximo - all your points sound bad though - do we need people orgasming over a crappy burger? We had that with Mohammed last year it wasn't good to see...[/rquote]

Heh well I know who came up with the hilarious idea of putting Mo in a room full of food to engorge his gluttony till he was sickened lol!

But yeah, when I say 'good' I mean it was good for the sponsor to see half-starved young people squealing and dancing over their cheeseburgers heh,
but,
No it wasn't fun for us the viewers and even worse is that on live-feed they would discuss wanting to get advert contracts with various sponsors.. ..and would later be seen putting on little 'skits' over the products:
The storeroom is opened and glamour-girl clone screams and bounces wildly "OH MA GAHD.. I SO LUVVVVV BREYERS ICE-CREME OH YUMMMYYY!!!!"
Then is sure to be holding the container (label facing cams) and oopsy.. dripping it down her plastic boobs and mentioning the name 4 times lol.
(I am not even exaggerating I swear it).

Another odd thing was seeing the 'McDonalds Task/Prize' and then on the next episode the video from that was then edited into an advert that ran on the program.

I dunno.. I can see them doing it for sure but it might not go over so well with the audience in the UK who has much less tolerance for that sort of thing.
[/rquote]

We have less tolerance now, but in a few years once we are used to it, they will be able to get more blatent than before. Everything has to start somewhere.
Old 15-09-2009, 11:59 PM #63

Just caught up again, I doubt anyone would notice differance, it just means lables would need not be covered.
There would be no need ofdeliberate placeing of items
If anything the current system makes you more curious to what they are drinking for example.
merv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 12:50 AM #64

You're all clutching at straws, it's not about being able to show a can of Coke sitting on the table, BB has run it's course and C4 have come to the decision they dont want to throw good money after bad when the viewing figures are declining and the people are losing interest. The only reason E4 had breaks through the night was because they were contracted to show the Lucozade add a certain number of times per hour, there were no other adverts just promos for upcoming shows. Commercial television is all about ratings, and high ratings attract advertisers. It's only common sense to see that they would rather attract high revenue advertisers rather than grab a few quid from Tesco's by not covering up the brand names on the weekly shopping list. BB is a very costly show to produce which takes up a lot of air time and requires staff to work 24/7 monitoring and editing the live feed and the highlights show. It's not cost effective anymore and that is why it's being axed and why every tv company that has been approached by Endemol has turned it down. Just accept BB11 will be the last ever and don't get false hopes up, it's far more complex than just being able to show a tin of baked beans!
mike888 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 01:34 AM #65

Well Mike we shall have to wait and see.
BB is still very much a big show around the world, as it runs its course? probably in the way it as been run for the last few years.
A bit like having Beans on Toast everyday, it hasn't moved much in it's portrayal of housemates, same ol mish mash.
I notice the head of Channel 4 left on Wednesday.
BB is still channel 4's biggest program, there fatted Cow if you like.
I personaly feel another Broadcaster will take the option and Endomol claim to be in talks with several company's.
Watch this space.
Old 17-09-2009, 01:42 AM #66

BB going out, product placement coming in, Andy Dun.can resigning...........

Oh and by the way.... their, not there.
BigBummer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 01:45 AM #67

Oh and by the way.... their, not there.
Matters not,you read it
Old 17-09-2009, 01:48 AM #68

"BB going out, product placement coming in, Andy Dun.can resigning""
And by the way to you Big Bummer Duncan..... not Dun.can

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags