Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 19-08-2009, 03:56 PM #26

i know this is boring!...BUT just checked out the UK demographics and if folk are moaning about BB not being represantative of UK then being representative would mean almost all HMs would have to be white and aged between 30 and 50!

talk of fair 'representation' in a game show is meaningless.
scot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 03:58 PM #27
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Why swear on the cross of Jesus??? It's not like it's a religious forum, you could swear on the quran and I still wouldn't give a fcuk.
InOne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:11 PM #28
Ssshhhhh....

Favourites:
BB14: Callum
BB13: Deana
Ssshhhhh....

Favourites:
BB14: Callum
BB13: Deana

Was it BB4? when Cameron won it?
'Normal' people were in that one.
Boring sooo boring!
RtooDee2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:17 PM #29

Quote:
Originally posted by RtooDee2
Was it BB4? when Cameron won it?
'Normal' people were in that one.
Boring sooo boring!
oh stop touting that tired line BB4 was not boring and Cameron was and is a smashing guy. and he never swore
IsleOfWeather is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:27 PM #30

Favourites (more):
CBB7: Vinnie
X Factor 2009: Miss Frank

Favourites (more):
CBB7: Vinnie
X Factor 2009: Miss Frank

Quote:
Originally posted by IsleOfWeather
around 4% of the UK is "gay" - lots work in media and entertainment so it always seems more.
4%
I Heard it was 1 in 5? So that would make 20%
BGT-FAN! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:29 PM #31

Quote:
Originally posted by BGT-FAN!
Quote:
Originally posted by IsleOfWeather
around 4% of the UK is "gay" - lots work in media and entertainment so it always seems more.
4%
I Heard it was 1 in 5? So that would make 20%

dont think it is anywhere near as 20%...what are you basing that on. I always thought it hovered around the 1 in 30 mark. i.e 3.33%...or there abouts.
scot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:32 PM #32

Quote:
Originally posted by LoadOfDross
This thread is stupid. Why does it always have to be more of the white straight people and less of the minorities. Give me a break. You may not be racist but your ignorant. People should embrace the fact that theres alot of multicultural people this season. Not be like "Where all the white folk?"

Your thinking backwards buddy. If you get mad because some iranian took the last place. And your like wtf he took my spot cuz im white. Then thats messed up

I do apologise Mr Dross, you seem to have misunderstood me. I do embrace the fact that BB put up multicultural characters and people from all sexual orientations. But, one day I might wish to apply myself, and being a straight white guy (which doesn't make me more or less worthy in any way), I fear that I won't have a chance because the odds are lessening for people like me. Don't get me wrong (and don't call me ''buddy'' either), Big Brother 4 was a fukking disaster BECAUSE there weren't enough ethnics and LBGs on it.

Now I can understand (from your syntax) that you have a chip on your shoulder and that you are angry about being bulllied at school in the showers for having a small penis, but please don't think I'm ignorant just because I believe that everybody from ALL persuasions should have their chance.
alphabetgreen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:32 PM #33

I think it would be much better with ordinary folk in the house, instead of wannabees, never wheres.

I would like to see a house full of old un's - they are usually opinionated and once they don't like someone, all hell is let loose.
delta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:37 PM #34

Quote:
Originally posted by delta
I think it would be much better with ordinary folk in the house, instead of wannabees, never wheres.

I would like to see a house full of old un's - they are usually opinionated and once they don't like someone, all hell is let loose.
Yeah, I agree. Imagine having someone like Alf Garnett? The ratings would soar.
Old 19-08-2009, 04:39 PM #35

Quote:
Originally posted by delta

good point...about not having wannabees...but only fame-wh0res really apply for this
BitterFruit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:42 PM #36

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabetgreen
Quote:
This thread is stupid. Why does it always have to be more of the white straight people and less of the minorities. Give me a break. You may not be racist but your ignorant. People should embrace the fact that theres alot of multicultural people this season. Not be like "Where all the white folk?"

Your thinking backwards buddy. If you get mad because some iranian took the last place. And your like wtf he took my spot cuz im white. Then thats messed up

I do apologise Mr Dross, you seem to have misunderstood me. I do embrace the fact that BB put up multicultural characters and people from all sexual orientations. But, one day I might wish to apply myself, and being a straight white guy (which doesn't make me more or less worthy in any way), I fear that I won't have a chance because the odds are lessening for people like me. Don't get me wrong (and don't call me ''buddy'' either), Big Brother 4 was a fukking disaster BECAUSE there weren't enough ethnics and LBGs on it.

Now I can understand (from your syntax) that you have a chip on your shoulder and that you are angry about being bulllied at school in the showers for having a small penis, but please don't think I'm ignorant just because I believe that everybody from ALL persuasions should have their chance.
First of all. I don't know what you were going on about in the second part there. I don't have penis

Second of all. Isn't it funny how times have changed. It used to be ethnic people complaining about not having equal chances. now its white people.
LoadOfDross is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:46 PM #37

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Calm down people, the OP just wanted to know,, less hostility towards him! You missunderstood the thread.

Anyways, I'd rather have more normal people in the house as opposed to wannabes and people who want to be the next Jordan ect...., thats why I supported Rachel in BB9 and I supported Tom this year, just normal people from the public who didnt need to act.

Remember launch night, remember everyone was moaning at the fact there was only around 4-5 people that were from the UK originally, people didnt like the fact that there were so many international housemates.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:51 PM #38

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

First of all. I don't know what you were going on about in the second part there. I don't have penis

Second of all. Isn't it funny how times have changed. It used to be ethnic people complaining about not having equal chances. now its white people.

:l augh3:
Old 19-08-2009, 04:55 PM #39

its not about there sexuality or race its about how entertaining they r

y do people always have to bring colour into things
iluvyuusivash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:58 PM #40

Straight, gay, black, white, I don't care , I watch BB to be entertained, but there has been very little worth watching this year, people on here and resorted to listing the 'funny' things h/mates say, very few of which are even mildly amusing!!!
HELLIWONTGO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:12 PM #41

Quote:
Before I go into this discussion, I just want to say that I have always abhorred racism and homophobia, and would never promote such hostility.

However, I'm pretty sure that ethnic minorities in Britain total under less than 10% of the population, much less. And the ratio of straight people to LBGs is even lower.

But how come out of 22 housemates, just 4 people (including Isaac and Tom who were hardly there) were white straight boys, and another 4 people (including Saffia who was hardly there) were straight white girls.

Now, it matters ****** all to me this year because I didn't apply and it's been a pretty good show so far, but I think that if I had failed to get on this year, I would have been a bit miffed.
Let's put some of this in perspective. There are no definitive figures as to the rate of GLBT's in British society. The figure could be as high as 30%. I also question what is "straight". Many of my "one off's" have been alledgedly straight men, who have invariably contacted me again.

I am a Gay man, which accounts for say 1 in 10 of the male population. I may be a Gay man but I am not defined by that. So in fact my Gender accounts for just under 50% of the population. I am literate, which counts for aprox 96% of the population, I own my own home, which accounts for aprox 40% of the population. I have a job, which accounts for aprox 30% of the population.

Do you see what I'm getting at, my sexuality is only 1 aspect of me, so on that basis who I want to go to bed with is not how I am defined.

Homophobia is not just about disrespecting those whose sexuality is different, it's about being against inclusivness, which I have to say, is pretty much what I'm getting from your post.

If you are truly not homophobic, then why do you feel motivated to write as you have done? I'm not writing this to attack you, just to try and motivate you to think over what homophobia really is about.
calyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:27 PM #42

^ Karma

Edit: Awwh, I wrote that before I tried, intending to, but it says there are restrictions or something. Just know that I'm sending you good karma. Haha.
HuxleyPig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:33 PM #43

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Benedict

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Benedict

Dear OP
Why :are you counting?
Hitler starting counting the number of Jews in society and look what happened there
Jesus doesn't count race, ethnicity, sexuality,gender or a million other things so I might humbly suggest you start swearing on something other than his cross.
cassieparis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:34 PM #44

I couldnt care if housemates are gay or straight,black or white but what id rather have is normal housemates as in not glamour models or wannabe famous but dont have any talent,id rather have joe bloggs whose a plumber or works in a office,im sick of all these housemates that are in there to become famous,and as for gay housemates it doesnt matter what there sexuality is but why cant they have someone whose gay but doesnt scream out that they are gay,any gay housemates always have to be what people would say are stereo typical gay but in reality not all gay people are camp or butch.
alchemists1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:38 PM #45

Quote:
Originally posted by calyman
Quote:
Before I go into this discussion, I just want to say that I have always abhorred racism and homophobia, and would never promote such hostility.

However, I'm pretty sure that ethnic minorities in Britain total under less than 10% of the population, much less. And the ratio of straight people to LBGs is even lower.

But how come out of 22 housemates, just 4 people (including Isaac and Tom who were hardly there) were white straight boys, and another 4 people (including Saffia who was hardly there) were straight white girls.

Now, it matters ****** all to me this year because I didn't apply and it's been a pretty good show so far, but I think that if I had failed to get on this year, I would have been a bit miffed.
Let's put some of this in perspective. There are no definitive figures as to the rate of GLBT's in British society. The figure could be as high as 30%. I also question what is "straight". Many of my "one off's" have been alledgedly straight men, who have invariably contacted me again.

I am a Gay man, which accounts for say 1 in 10 of the male population. I may be a Gay man but I am not defined by that. So in fact my Gender accounts for just under 50% of the population. I am literate, which counts for aprox 96% of the population, I own my own home, which accounts for aprox 40% of the population. I have a job, which accounts for aprox 30% of the population.

Do you see what I'm getting at, my sexuality is only 1 aspect of me, so on that basis who I want to go to bed with is not how I am defined.

Homophobia is not just about disrespecting those whose sexuality is different, it's about being against inclusivness, which I have to say, is pretty much what I'm getting from your post.

If you are truly not homophobic, then why do you feel motivated to write as you have done? I'm not writing this to attack you, just to try and motivate you to think over what homophobia really is about.
You've put across a very strong argument that I'm inclined to relent to. However, it would be stronger if the subject of sex was not discussed on Big Brother. However, it is. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it is probably the number one subject that most housemates have conversed about since Big Brother began. AND, I can guarantee that the subject of each applicant's orientation is discussed at the selection process and decisions are made based on that criteria. A good example would be to examine the 'status' (for want of a better word) of each NEW housemate this year (not including Isaac):

One straight white man
One straight ethnic man
One gay white man
One straight white woman
One ethnic straight woman

Now it is obvious from the list above that this is not a ''oh, by the way they happen to be'' group. These people have been chosen with their sexual orientation and ethnicity very much in mind. If this was not the case, and that people were genuinely successful in their applications because of the strength of their personalities, I would agree with you fully.
Old 19-08-2009, 06:28 PM #46

There has been more than just talk of sex and sexuality on BB. It may be so that the BB producers have chosen the housemates on very spurious and stereotypical grounds. If so, they are responsible for promoting ignorance to the viewing public.

I agree with you on the description of presenting BB housemates as interesting individuals rather than the Gay one, or the Indian one, or the posh one etc.

I feel they partly achieved this with Freddy; it took a long time before people could see beyond the posh wannabe tory politician and seen him for the complex and intriguing person he is.

As a viewer, I am glad there is a wide range of minorities within the BB house, I just wish that most of them did not perform according to outdated stereotyping but showed themselves as whole and complete individuals, being more than just the sum of their own particular "stereotype"
calyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 06:32 PM #47

I feel though one of the reasons that BB has dropped in popularity is because there is no-one in the house that a large amount of the viewing public can identify with. I am not against the "representative" format that the show has taken, although I can see the angle that the OP is taking.

From about BB5 onwards the makers seem to have been looking to shock with "wacky" HM's i.e. Marco, Nadia, Pete, Mikey. Of course, they appealed to some people, but I doubt a majority could identify with them. Of course 2 of those I mentioned actually won the show.

Also I noticed that although there have been 9 winners, 7 have been straight, 1 gay man, and 1 transexual. I think that the shows producers are hoping to even the score somewhat by increasing the percentage of gay/straight HM's.
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 06:52 PM #48

I demand to know how many of the housemates have blue eyes, to make sure that brown- and green-eyed people are being fairly represented.
Prole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:43 PM #49

as i have said before when bb started there were no fame hungry wannabees no housemates with agents they were a total bunch of more or less everyday people. Now bb seems to hunt out the extroverts they all have agents I am sure early on in the series I heard one of the girls say there agent was trying to sort out a photo opportunity with ronaldo whereby she was photographed with him in some night club for the papers (something along those lines) and to be honest it has been going downhill for the last few years - just because they are average day to day people doesnt mean they are going to be boring they may be a bit more appreciative about the whole bb experience, instead of seeing it as opportunity for fame and fortune. I do think BB think we need a busty blonde a couple of gays/lesbians a loudmouth etc etc
dbfs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:50 PM #50

Big Sister XI?
PooBay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cross, i'm, jesus, racist, swear