Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 28-12-2009, 06:28 AM #1

Default Rory's Top 50 Films of the Decade [Entire List Posted]

Alright, so I figured since others have done Top Songs of the Decade, I'll do one about something that I'm passionate about: films. If this thread turns out to be a fail where nobody comments about the films that I post, I'll just end up posting my list. And most of the higher numbered ones I just copied the synopsis and added like a sentence about my opinion on the film onto the end. Don't expect too special of descriptions until about the Top 25!

50. Funny Games U.S. (2007)
"You shouldn't forget the importance of entertainment."

Michael Haneke's shot-for-shot remake of his 1997 film, "Funny Games" comes in at number 50 in my Top Films of the 2000's, exploring how voilence is portrayed in the media and how we consume it. Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, and their son travel to their vacation house, only to find themselves terrorized by two young, articulate serial killers who bet that in 12 hours, all three of them will be ka-put.

49. An Education (2009)
"If people die the moment that they graduate, then surely it's the things we do beforehand that count."

One of the films set to be nominated for a few Oscars this year (especially Mulligan's performance as Jenny), An Education is about a 16-year-old girl whose parents' goal is for her to get into Oxford. She falls for an older man who exposes her to his way of life, causing problems between how she wants to live and how her parents expect her to live.

48. Up (2009)
"You know, most people take a plane, but you're smart because you'll have all your TV and clocks and stuff."

After a lifetime of dreaming of traveling the world, 78-year-old homebody Carl flies away on an unbelievable adventure, with Russell, an 8-year-old Wilderness Explorer, unexpectedly in tow. Together, the unlikely pair embarks on a thrilling odyssey full of jungle beasts and rough terrain. Pixar's movies never cease to amaze, touch, and please me. Up is no different. I laughed, I cried, and I got to watch it in 3D.

47. The Prestige (2006)
"Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call 'The Prestige'."

At the dawn of the 20th century, rival magicians Robert Angier and Alfred Borden endeavor to reveal each other's secrets. Obsessed by the escalating competition, the two illusionists begin to perform increasingly risky tricks, which soon turn deadly. The first (of 3) Christopher Nolan films to appear in my Top 50, The Prestige, which I got confused with The Illusionist that came out around the same time, has a nice twist ending (which I may have spoiled too much, but don't let it stop you from seeing it) that I love.

46. The Departed (2006)
"When I was your age they would say we can become cops, or criminals. Today, what I'm saying to you is this: when you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?"

To take down South Boston's Irish Mafia, the police send in one of their own to infiltrate the underworld, not realizing the syndicate has done likewise in Martin Scorsese's multiple Oscar-winning crime thriller. While an undercover cop curries favor with the mob kingpin, a career criminal rises through the police ranks. But both sides soon discover there's a mole among them. I know it's a remake of Infernal Affairs, which I've seen - but The Departed's atmosphere, cinematography, and overall feel is a lot better.

45. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
"Your life is defined by its opportunities... even the ones you miss."

David Fincher directs this Oscar-nominated tale of Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt) -- a man who was born old and wrinkled but grows younger as the years go by -- with a screenplay adapted from a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The plot throws linear conventions upside down to explore love, loss and memory from the perspective of a character living under incredibly unique -- and unexpectedly difficult -- circumstances. I relate Benjamin Button to Forrest Gump, where you're given the stories of his entire life that'll make you cry at the end (except Forrest Gump didn't make me cry...)

44. Mystic River (2003)
"The reality is we're still 11 year old boys locked in a cellar imagining what our lives would have been if we'd escaped."

Tragedy reunites childhood friends Sean, Dave, and Jimmy when they're linked together in the Boston-based murder investigation of Jimmy's teenage daughter. But while detective Sean works the case, Jimmy launches his own quest for the truth. Really all that I think about with this film is "oh, coincidences". (Yes, I know my little added-on tidbits are getting shorter and shorter, haha)

43. Up in the Air (2009)
"How much does your life weigh?"

Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) racks up major miles flying around the country firing employees on behalf of companies. But he faces losing the job he savors to Natalie Keener (Anna Kendrick) -- and losing the ability to escape emotional ties to anything. A connection he builds with Alex Goran (Vera Farmiga), however, might change his outlook on the future. I had to drag my family to go see this, which they ended up not liking it because of how it ended - but I loved it. Another 2009 film that's set to win a few Oscars.

42. 21 Grams (2003)
"How many lives do we live? How many times do we die? They say we all lose 21 grams... at the exact moment of our death. Everyone. And how much fits into 21 grams? How much is lost? When do we lose 21 grams? How much goes with them?"

A tragic car accident brings together three strangers -- a teacher (Sean Penn) with a weak heart, a former drug addict (Naomi Watts) turned housewife and an ex-con (Benicio Del Toro) who's found Christ -- forcing them to face their darkest fears, reevaluate their lives and seek redemption. A popular trend seems to be the "lives intertwining" (naming a few that aren't on this list are Crash and Babel) but 21 Grams shows how one event impacts many lives. 'Tis good.

41. Collateral (2004)
"Someday? Someday my dream will come? One night you will wake up and discover it never happened. It's all turned around on you. It never will. Suddenly you are old. Didn't happen, and it never will, because you were never going to do it anyway."

Max (Oscar nominee Jamie Foxx) only took a job as a taxi driver to make ends meet. But he's about to have his craziest day yet when he discovers that Vincent (Tom Cruise), who's just paid him a handsome sum to be driven around all night, is a hit man. Max took the money with an eye on getting out of his dead-end job and opening up his own business. But now, it's up to him to keep Vincent's last hit alive. Alright, I'll admit - towards the end it gets a little ridiculous, but overall it's an amazing movie that I owned since it was released on DVD, I just never got around to watching it until earlier this year.

Last edited by Rory; 01-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Rory is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 06:49 AM #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

yay for Button and Mystic River. Didn't care much for the Departed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 07:01 AM #3

Shaun, I have a feeling you'll be the only one to peek in this thread. sad/
Old 28-12-2009, 07:07 AM #4
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

lmfao...think positive. You might get Gary too. ha2

Quote:

Old 28-12-2009, 07:33 AM #5

GETOUT. Dean should pop in, except I only have one Studio Ghibli film on my Top 50.
Old 28-12-2009, 03:14 PM #6
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

The Departed would probably be in my top 3 of the decade, and Collaterral in my top 10. Prestige probably in my top 20 aswell.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 03:16 PM #7
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Favourites:

i haven't seen any of those tbh

credit: fxcknyah @ tumblr
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 03:23 PM #8

Funny Games was amazing! Glad it made your top 50. I don't know anyone else that saw it ha. But Up! should be higher. One of the best pieces of animation ever.

"You best believe I'm in LOVE baby."

Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 03:43 PM #9
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

woop for Mystic River, fantastic movie. I enjoyed Benjamin Button too but found The Departed a bit of a struggle tbh.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 04:25 AM #10

Oh I like how this is getting a small but sure following.

40. WALL·E (2008)
"Earth is amazing! These are called "farms". Humans would put seeds in the ground, pour water on them, and they grow food - like, pizza!"

In a futuristic world, human beings have destroyed Earth and evacuated the planet, leaving the cleanup to an army of robots they've programmed to do their dirty work. Due to a mishap, the dutiful WALL-E is the only one left. But with the arrival of a female probe, the monotony of WALL-E's existence is broken -- and he experiences love for the first time. Pixar's 2nd of 2 films on my Top 50 of the decade, WALL·E was yet another one of the Pixar films to make me tear up. Dammit.

39. Monster (2003)
""Love conquers all." "Every cloud has a silver lining." "Faith can move mountains." "Love will always find a way." "Everything happens for a reason." "Where there is life, there is hope." Oh, well...They gotta tell you somethin'."

Aileen Wuornos (Charlize Theron, in an Oscar-winning performance) faced difficult odds early in life, abusing drugs and becoming a prostitute (and pregnant) by the age of 13. Wuornos moved from Michigan to Florida where she continued to ply her "trade," specializing in a clientele consisting mainly of truck drivers. It was during that time that she began murdering any "John" who tried to rape her. Christina Ricci co-stars in this true story. I didn't even realize it was Charlize Theron until I looked at the credits and was like "WTF?! The girl in the Italian Job was that mess?" but her physical transformation and acting were amazing. See this movie.

38. The Orphanage (2007)
Fueled by fond memories from her childhood, Laura (Belén Rueda) persuades her husband (Fernando Cayo) to help her revamp a seaside orphanage into a facility for disabled children. But soon after the couple moves in, their son, Simón (Roger Príncep), begins exhibiting disturbing behavior. As Laura tries to understand Simón's increasingly malevolent actions, she becomes drawn into the house's terrifying secrets in this unnerving chiller. Finally! The first foreign film on my Top 50. Okay, when I saw this movie it scared the sh*t out of me - it was creepy as hell. I will admit, towards the end it gets a bit weird once you've solved the little puzzle, but still...the images of whatever the hell that thing was that's creeping around still haunts me.

37. Hot Fuzz (2007)
"A great, big, bushy beard! "

A top London cop (Simon Pegg) is ready to die of boredom when his superiors transfer him to a sleepy English village to work alongside a blundering but well-meaning young constable (Nick Frost). But soon enough, the town begins to stir with a series of grisly "accidents." Is foul play afoot in this seemingly idyllic hamlet, where nothing remotely serious ever happens? My friends and I probably quote this movie more than any other on the list. The irony of the lines are hilarious, and I ended up watching it twice when I first saw it (once normally, once with the "fun facts" turned on). I wub this movie.

36. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
"When somebody asks me a question, I tell them the answer."

After coming within one question of winning it all on the Indian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?," 18-year-old Mumbai "slumdog" Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is arrested on suspicion that he cheated his way to the top. While in custody, he regales a jaded inspector (Irfan Khan) with remarkable tales of his life on the streets and the story of the woman (Freida Pinto) he loved and lost. Danny Boyle's first of 2 films on my Top 50, many would probably expect this to be higher because it was produced by Film4 - well I'll say there's only one Film4 production left in the countdown after this. I had to drag my sister to go see it before it started getting all the award buzz and was only in 1 theater in my city, but it was worth it...maybe not worth all the Oscars it stole, but still.

34. (500) Days of Summer (2009)
"Tom, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Next time you look back, I think you should look again. "

When his girlfriend, Summer (Zooey Deschanel), unceremoniously dumps him, greeting-card copywriter and hopeless romantic Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) begins sifting through the year-plus worth of days they spent together, looking for clues to what went awry. As he recalls the good and bad times he spent with the commitment-phobic girl, his heart reawakens to what it cherishes most. This is like the modern day Annie Hall, and I love that movie - even better, though, this has an amazing soundtrack, Zooey Deschanel, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. <3

33. The Fall (2006)
"We're a strange pair, aren't we?"

Set in the 1920s, director Tarsem Singh's visually lush drama stars Lee Pace as paralyzed movie stuntman Roy Walker, who bonds with an imaginative 5-year-old named Alexandria (Catinca Untaru) as they convalesce together in a Los Angeles infirmary. To coax the girl into procuring the cache of morphine he wants from the hospital pharmacy, the suicidal Roy regales Alexandria with an elaborate fantasy about larger-than-life heroes. Being honest, I can't really remember what goes on too much in this - I just remember that the cinematography were amazing, I loved the story at the time, and it's basically The Cell but even more beautiful. A stunning film (with images that will make you go "umg") that I need to go back and watch again.

32. Amores Perros (2000)
"You and your plans. You know what my grandmother used to say? If you want to make God laugh... tell Him your plans."

Alejandro González Iñárritu's internationally acclaimed debut film -- which earned an Oscar nod for Best Foreign Language Film -- recounts three intertwining tales that unfold on the brutal streets of Mexico City. Octavio (Gael García Bernal) has an obsessive crush on his sister-in-law; Daniel (Álvaro Guerrero) dumps his family for a disturbed supermodel; and El Chivo (Emilio Echevarría) cares for a wounded dog while planning an assassination. K, so this is the earlier, more Mexican "lives intertwining" story by the same director as 21 Grams, but this is more moving, sad, and depressing than 21 Grams. Amores Perros moves you, but not to a happier place, but a more somber place.

31. The Dark Knight (2008)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

We all know the plot, so I'm not going to bore you with details. I do consider this the most overrated film of 2008, but it's still my favorite Batman. The cinematography in this one as well is spectacular. Christopher Nolan really knows how to direct a film, and I love love love this film. Blu-Ray makes it a million times better too.
Old 29-12-2009, 04:25 AM #11

oh btw didn't write those.
Old 29-12-2009, 04:29 AM #12
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Hot Fuzz

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 05:06 AM #13
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Hot Fuzz is epic. Also loved (500) Days Of Summer and obviously The Dark Knight was great.

Old 29-12-2009, 05:25 AM #14
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Need to get round to seeing Monster.

Fondness for Hot Fuzz and The Dark Knight, though.

Quote:

Old 29-12-2009, 10:27 PM #15

30. Kill Bill Vol. 1/2 (2003-4)
"Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the limbs you've lost. They belong to me now."

The Bride wakes up after a long coma. The baby that she carried before entering the coma is gone. The only thing on her mind is to have revenge on the assassination team that betrayed her - a team she was once part of. I grouped these two together because they're basically one story together, although I prefer the 1st to the 2nd and I basically wanted more space for other films than to include both of these on my list. I never saw Inglorious Basterds, but Quentin Tarantino is one of my favorite directors. Uma Thurman kicks ass in Kill Bill, shame she did My Super Ex-Girlfriend after this.

29. V for Vendetta (2005)
"Remember, remember the 5th of November."

From the pages of David Lloyd and Alan Moore's groundbreaking graphic novel springs the enigmatic "V" (Hugo Weaving), a masked freedom fighter who's taken up arms against the totalitarian government in a futuristic Britain. Finding an unlikely ally in a young woman named Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman), V urges the citizenry to fight the oppression of the state. I have the biggest crush on Natalie Portman so you'll see I think 1 more movie from her in the list...but the entire movie as a whole is absolutely amazing.

28. 28 Days Later (2002)
"his is what I've seen in the four weeks since infection. People killing people. Which is much what I saw in the four weeks before infection, and the four weeks before that, and before that, and as far back as I care to remember. People killing people. Which to my mind, puts us in a state of normality right now."

wenty-eight days after a killer virus was accidentally unleashed from a British research facility, a small group of London survivors (including Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleeson) are caught in a desperate struggle to protect themselves from the infected. Carried by animals and humans, the virus turns those it infects into homicidal maniacs -- and it's absolutely impossible to contain. This is my favorite zombie movie, and my favorite Danny Boyle film. The sequel wasn't bad either.

27. District 9 (2009)
"Could you go a bit slower with the clicks there, it sounded like you said three years."

When aliens land on Earth, global business conglomerate Multi-National United forces them into rigid containment zones where they are compelled to labor, even as MNU commandeers their otherworldly technology for profit. As tensions build between human and non-human races, a rogue agent leads a resistance movement against MNU's ruthless consolidation of power. One of my favorite sci-fi films of the decade, District 9 was surprisingly really good. When I saw the trailer, i thought I would have hated it.

26. In Bruges (2008)
"A lot of midgets tend to kill themselves. A disproportionate amount, actually. Hervé Villechaize off of Fantasy Island. I think somebody from the Time Bandits did. I suppose they must get really sad about like... being really little and that... people looking at them, laughing at them, calling them names. You know, "short arse". There's another famous midget. I miss him but I can't remember. It's not the R2D2 man; no, he's still going. I hope your midget doesn't kill himself. Your dream sequence will be ****ed."

After killing an innocent boy in London, hit men Ray (Colin Farrell, in a Golden Globe–winning role) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are ordered to lay low at a bed and breakfast in Bruges, Belgium, until their boss (Ralph Fiennes) phones with further instructions. But when he calls, Ken doesn't like the assignment. The last Film4 production on my list (surprised?), In Bruges is easily one of my favorite comedies of all time.
Old 29-12-2009, 10:30 PM #16

Favourites:

Favourites:

double post tut

credit: fxcknyah @ tumblr
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 10:31 PM #17
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

V and District <3
need to see In Bruges.

Quote:

Old 29-12-2009, 10:37 PM #18
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Yeah for the great Cork actor Cillian at 28!!!!!!

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 04:29 AM #19
El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory
BBCanada 9: Rohan

El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Great List so far.

However how is funny games only number 50. A Class film

DrunkerThanMoses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 08:31 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkerThanMoses View Post
Great List so far.

However how is funny games only number 50. A Class film
I love all the films probably 50-40 equally. Funny Games is amazing, though!
Old 31-12-2009, 02:54 AM #21

25. Moon (2009)

This film is my favorite sci-fi film of the year. i don't want to spoil too much, but it's a must see. Plus it has Effy from Skins in it!

24. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
"I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman."

I can see why it's a part of the Criterion collection - one of the funniest films of the decade and one of the only few movies to make me actually like Owen Wilson.

23. Spirited Away (2001)
"You better get here before I forget what my parents look like. I hope Dad hasn't gotten too fat. "

I tend to not watch anything that's dubbed, so this trailer makes the film look incredibly cheesy with the English dubbing - being honest it's an amazing film.

22. Paris Je T'aime (2006)
"All I can say is that I felt, at the same time, joy and sadness. But not too much sadness, because I felt alive. Yes, alive. That was the moment I fell in love with Paris. And I felt Paris fall in love with me."

The sequel, New York, I Love You, is nowhere near as good as this film. What's a shame is that the worst short is first, making some people turn it off. Each scene is different in story, director, actors, and types of love. Rewatching the trailer right now makes me want to go see it again. Oh, and Natalie Portman is in this.

21. Mean Girls (2004)
Too many to name.

Do I even have to describe this movie? Half of the forum love this movie, half don't. I'm in the half that do. It's the most quotable movie ever made, and the funniest teen film of the decade. Plus it has Rachel McAdams. 2baha/

20. Love Actually (2004)
"When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around. "

Yes, I included another one of those billion-stories-of-love-combined-into-one-film films in this. This film is always a Christmas must for me. It's sf qt.

19. Juno (2007)
"I mean, I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans could I get into?"

Okay, so this is another comedy in my list...but Juno is one of the movies I can watch over and over and not get sick of - plus I saw it like 4 times when it was in theaters in December/January of 2007/8. Shame Michael Cera's apparently a douchebag (...I love Arrested Development, and him holding back the movie is just..)

18. Mulholland Dr. (2001)
"Good afternoon, Mr. Roque. Her name is Camilla Rhodes. The director doesn't want her. Do you want him replaced?"

This film looks beyond cheesy from the beginning with Naomi Watts being the "new girl" in town, but to be honest I still have no idea what the hell it's about. There are even sites about what the film is about. I saw this at about 2 in the morning and I had no idea what the hell what was going on. It's typical David Lynch.

17. Big Fish (2003)
"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him. And in that way he becomes immortal."

This film has a childlike-nostalgic feel to it. The connection between father and son, directed by Tim Burton. It just made me appreciate family, to be honest.

16. Oldboy (2003)
"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him. And in that way he becomes immortal."

I tend to like watching movies without knowing anything about it. Even the littlest detail could break a movie for me. I knew nothing about this film (not even the fact that he was locked in a room), and I'm glad I did. Now I kind of made sure you didn't have that experience, but I didn't give anything major about the film away. It's a remarkable film.

Last edited by Rory; 31-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 31-12-2009, 02:56 AM #22
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

21, 20, 19 <3

Quote:

Old 31-12-2009, 02:57 AM #23
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Mean Girls, Juno and Love Actually <3333
also love In Bruges

Old 31-12-2009, 06:56 AM #24
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
X Factor 2010: Aiden Grimshaw
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
X Factor 2010: Aiden Grimshaw

Mean Girls and Spirited Away<3

twitter-- twitter.com/carackobama

CaraRawr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 07:13 PM #25

15. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
"I decided to stop pitying myself. Other than my eye, two things aren't paralyzed, my imagination and my memory."

I remember this being released and thinking that it sounded like a ridiculous idea for a movie - how could they possibly make it interesting with a plot like that? After watching it, I realized everything that I had missed when I first remember it being released. It's a sad, depressing film that left me teary-eyed as the credits rolled.

14. Dogville (2003)
"All I see is a beautiful little town in the midst of magnificent mountains. A place where people have hopes and dreams even under the hardest conditions."

This trailer does the film no justice, don't be fooled - the trailer fails to show that there are no sets, only props here and there. The town of Dogville is outlined in chalk. It's a near 3-hour movie that you should only watch if you're really in the mood for it - it's long and in several acts...but in the end it makes you think about the true humanity of man.

13. The Host (2006)
"The Han River is very broad, Mr. Kim. Let's try to be broad-minded about this. Anyway, that's an order. So, start pouring. "

Korea's highest-grossing film, The Host, is a funny/sad/terrifying monster flick. When you think about Korean horror, you normally would think asians flying at you or attacking you through the TV, but I'd compare the Host more to a Cloverfield-type film.

12. Lost in Translation (2003)
"Let's never come here again because it will never be as much fun. "

Some may say this film is boring, but I love this film. Being lost in a foreign place, finding someone unlikely to connect to, and basically all of it is somewhat of a comforting film. It's cute, funny, and apparently we all know what's whispered at the end now.

11. The Machinist (2004)
"Stevie, I haven't slept in a year. "

Another WTF movie, and another one of the movies you need to see at 3am to get the full creeped-out-ness. The tunnel ride always scares the **** out of me. Also, it's remarkable how Christian Bale dropped down to his weight, then bulked up for Batman Begins only shortly thereafter. To me, it's basically a nightmare on film.

10. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
"We take Pete's car, we drive over to Mum's, we go in, take care of Philip - "I'm so sorry, Philip" - then we grab Mum, we go over to Liz's place, hole up, have a cup of tea and wait for this whole thing to blow over."

Hot Fuzz is a brilliant film, but Shaun of the Dead is even better. A comical take on the zombie film (which zombie films are my favorite..), and Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright never fail to make me die laughing.

9. Battle Royale (2000)
"Here's your list of friends in the order they died."

K, kids killing each other on an island until 1 is left sounded like a good film to me, but Battle Royale is 1000x better than the basic concept. It really made me think, if my class was stuck out on an island, who would I trust? It's qt and you should watch it. Plus Quentin Tarantino had this (along with The Host) on his favorite films of the last 15 years.

8. Children of Men (2006)
"I can't really remember when I last had any hope, and I certainly can't remember when anyone else did either. Because really, since women stopped being able to have babies, what's left to hope for?"

The UK got this film around a half a year before the US, and I had been dying to watch this ever since I heard about it (plus Hoppipolla in the trailer intrigued me even more when they weren't used on everything in the world). The long shot in this film is remarkable.

7. Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
"See they're even fake so they'll never die. "

One of the cutest films I have ever seen. It starts off a bit creepy, the main character buys a life-size sex figurine online and claims her as his girlfriend. The insecurity and weirdness of Lars mixed with the friendliness of the community makes my heart feel all fuzzy. It's one of my sad-but-feelgood films.

6. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
"In the end it's all nice."

This is the biggest mind***** of a film I've ever seen. Seeing this at like 3am (another one of those films, yes) didn't help me at all. After you finish watching this, you're left feeling empty, sad, and depressed. This film had a serious effect on me with its portrayal of what addiction can do to you. We all know the theme in the movie since it's used in any dramatic trailer there is (Lost comes to mind on ABC here), and some skins fans will know the "ass to ass" line. It's a raw, cerebral, and hypnotic film.

Last edited by Rory; 31-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
50, decade, entire, films, list, rory, top