Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB11 Channel 4's last Big Brother series started June 2010. Josie Gibson was the winner. All the gossip about the Big Brother 11 house, series and housemates here!

Old 17-07-2010, 11:12 AM #1
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Default Steve is categorically not a hero

There was another thread on this but it got terribly sidetracked and was closed before I got to it so I opened this one to discuss the matter.

First of all, walking past a bomb and getting blown up does not make you a hero. That is an insult to the real heroes of the world. I would consider someone who did something exceptionally brave or someone who is solely responsible for saving another person's life in a crisis a hero. Walking past a barrel does not make you a hero just desperately unlucky.

Secondly, to those who say the fact he joined the forces in the first place makes him a hero as he was risking his life for freedom - he was fighting in Northern Ireland, the troubles were not about freedom they were about power and prejudice. Something which is in a way almost proven by how bigoted Steve has shown himself up to be in so many respects.

Brave for joining the army, yes. A hero, absolutely not.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:14 AM #2
User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

User tanned

Favourites:

He's never called himself one so its not fair to use it against him. He's a victim and a survivor. Thats enough.

Rebuilding your life physically and emotionally after such a tragedy takes great strength. You cant take that away from him.

But he is still a dull HM.
Zippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:15 AM #3
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

I think what you said, is what alot of people think but just don't have the guts to actully come out and say it. I'm only going to base Steve as a Big Brother housemate, nothing else.

Please Note : There is nothing wrong at all with being gay.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:16 AM #4
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

I know he hasn't called himself one, I'm not using it against him. He's shown himself to be a completely unpleasant, nasty bit of work all by himself irregardless of his war connotations.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:17 AM #5
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

You could argue that all serving service men are heroes for putting themselves in very dangerous positions for a living. He was certainly in a dangerous place.

Last edited by Zippy; 17-07-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:19 AM #6

Favourites (more):
BB16: Sarah
BB15: Helen

Favourites (more):
BB15: Helen

Thats a bit harsh, he hasnt said he's a hero, but at the end of the day he went to war and was willing to put his life on the line for his country!

Him being in the war will not change my mind on him winning/being evicted i dont think he's that entertaining and shouldnt win based on his past/disability.

I do however respect him for what he did or was willing to do for his country
Old 17-07-2010, 11:28 AM #7

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGaryy View Post
First of all, walking past a bomb and getting blown up does not make you a hero.
Yes it does. He took the blast that.. if not for his sacrifice.. would have been taken by another.
If not taken by another soldier it would have been used on innocent civilians.
He is a hero.
You are not.
He is a giant and you ought to wish you could have 1/2 the brass balls Steve had in not just taking a blast so others did not but also for the huge character in that guy for coming out a cheerful positive person who doesn't have to belittle others to feel bigger about himself.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:31 AM #8

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Quote:
I know he hasn't called himself one, I'm not using it against him. He's shown himself to be a completely unpleasant, nasty bit of work all by himself irregardless of his war connotations.
Well then why not just talk about those characteristics instead of going on about whether or not he's a hero?

It makes me laugh that the ones who go on about the hero stuff are probably pathetic little cowards who would poo their pants if they were sent to a war zone - probably the sort of people who expect others to fight for them, but would never in a million years do it themselves.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:41 AM #9
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by serensilver View Post
Thats a bit harsh, he hasnt said he's a hero, but at the end of the day he went to war and was willing to put his life on the line for his country!

Him being in the war will not change my mind on him winning/being evicted i dont think he's that entertaining and shouldnt win based on his past/disability.

War.

LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElProximo View Post
Yes it does. He took the blast that.. if not for his sacrifice.. would have been taken by another.
He is a hero.
You are not.
He is a giant and you ought to wish you could have 1/2 the brass balls Steve had in not just taking a blast so others did not but also for the huge character in that guy for coming out a cheerful positive person who doesn't have to belittle others to feel bigger about himself.
Are you sure he willingly blew himself up? I'm not so sure. I think you might be making an assumption there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
Well then why not just talk about those characteristics instead of going on about whether or not he's a hero?

It makes me laugh that the ones who go on about the hero stuff are probably pathetic little cowards who would poo their pants if they were sent to a war zone - probably the sort of people who expect others to fight for them, but would never in a million years do it themselves.
Because he wants to set the record straight, not against Steve himself, but against others who might call him a hero?

Also, this whole macho ass not being allowed to say a word about army folk unless you yourself are willing to pedal a plane into an Al Qaeda fortress armed with nothing but the grace of god and a small miniature terrier is really, really old.

Damn right I'm a coward when it comes to shipping myself to wars. I can still criticize.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:42 AM #10

Quote:

When has he been a nasty piece of work. What is your gripe really? Everyone has a nasty side to them so why shouldn't he have his bad days and flip out occasionally after all he is human. It sounds as if you have another axe to grind. He has never once said he is an angel or any other description.
I wouldn't believe your wireless radio. If I had myself a flying giraffe you'd have one in a box with a window, but you can have it all if you like, you can have it all if you like and you can pay for it the rest of your life... life...
Julie10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:47 AM #11
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

I honestly dont even think of the whole war/hero stuff that keeps getting dragged up. All I see is a guy who faced a life changing trauma and dealt with it and continues to deal with it in an amazingly inspiring way. He doesnt make a fuss of his disabilities even though Im sure it makes life extremely difficult.

And I see a dull HM. Thats it.

Stop using the war stuff against him. Its irrelevent.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:48 AM #12
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie10 View Post
When has he been a nasty piece of work. What is your gripe really? Everyone has a nasty side to them so why shouldn't he have his bad days and flip out occasionally after all he is human. It sounds as if you have another axe to grind. He has never once said he is an angel or any other description.
More than just being a nasty piece of work though, he does seem like he is a very bigotted person with very old fashioned, more often than not silly, views. You could almost fill a white board with a list of the views he holds. I know that's horribly assumptive of me, but you know.

Also, his constant harping on about team play gets on my tits. Your in a TV studio. Lighten up and have fun. I know they need to work to a certain extent to get food and stuff but he looks like a fuckin' slave driver at times.

'Right lads, enough of this nonsense. It's TEAM TIME. RAGHHHHHHHHH!'.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:49 AM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
He is a hero.
You are not.
Mate he didnt jump on the bomb to save a civillian or another soldier. The irish detonated it as he was walking past.

So he did not intentionally save anyones life hence not making him a hero. It was a fluke.

He's not a hero but to be fair he doesnt want to be labelled that.

He is however a very very dull housemate and if he wins this show then its completely on a sympathy vote and personally as soon as he's up for eviction (unfortunatly noone will nominate the dullard) im voting him out.
daniel-lewis-1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:50 AM #14
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Gary
UBB: JohnMc
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
There was another thread on this but it got terribly sidetracked and was closed before I got to it so I opened this one to discuss the matter.

First of all, walking past a bomb and getting blown up does not make you a hero. That is an insult to the real heroes of the world. I would consider someone who did something exceptionally brave or someone who is solely responsible for saving another person's life in a crisis a hero. Walking past a barrel does not make you a hero just desperately unlucky.

Secondly, to those who say the fact he joined the forces in the first place makes him a hero as he was risking his life for freedom - he was fighting in Northern Ireland, the troubles were not about freedom they were about power and prejudice. Something which is in a way almost proven by how bigoted Steve has shown himself up to be in so many respects.

Brave for joining the army, yes. A hero, absolutely not.
He never was your hero right from the start. But if there were not guys like Steve, you would speak russia or germany right now. And i don't say it because it was WWII, but cowards like you make me puke. Now crawl back behind your keyboards pansy.
MojoNixon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:51 AM #15
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by serensilver View Post

Thank you
Old 17-07-2010, 11:53 AM #16
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoNixon View Post
He never was your hero right from the start. But if there were not guys like Steve, you would speak russia or germany right now. And i don't say it because it was WWII, but cowards like you make me puke. Now crawl back behind your keyboards pansy.
I'm sure they say that in - oh wait, plenty of countries speak English. Oh well.

Thankfully others do the fighting, like you said.

Sometimes it's smart to be a coward.

Let the people who want to go to war, go to war. I'll sit at home, scratch my balls, and watch it on the news.

Last edited by Stu; 17-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:53 AM #17
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He is a hero.
You are not.
I used to hate ELProximo back then (i was harryrag back then). But now ELProximo has become a my fav TIBB person.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:54 AM #18
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 View Post
Mate he didnt jump on the bomb to save a civillian or another soldier. The irish detonated it as he was walking past.

So he did not intentionally save anyones life hence not making him a hero. It was a fluke.
Service men have a huge target on their backs. Which makes civilians less likely to be targeted. They are risking their lives just by being in certain places. That is a fact.

But nobody wants to be a dead hero. Like anything in life its a calculated risk. he paid a huge price. The least he deserves is respect. Some round here seem to begrudge him even that much.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:57 AM #19
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
There was another thread on this but it got terribly sidetracked and was closed before I got to it so I opened this one to discuss the matter...... etc. etc. etc..................

How lucky are we to have you here! With your in-depth knowledge of bloody everything! And how amazingly intelligent you must be to have the final say on what does and doesn't constitute a hero. You must be so proud of yourself.

Last edited by Livia; 17-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:58 AM #20
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

You know Steve himself denied hero status on many occasions, right?

But hey, this is the wisdom of someone who needs to let everyone know they have an ignore list. Pow pow, baby!

Last edited by Stu; 17-07-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:59 AM #21
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I'm sure they say that in - oh wait, plenty of countries speak English. Oh well.

Thankfully others do the fighting, like you said.

Sometimes it's smart to be a coward.

Let the people who want to go to war, go to war. I'll sit at home, scratch my balls, and watch it on the news.
Smart to be a coward... LOL Yeah, cowardice is such an attractive and admirable quality.

Luckily there are some people who are willing to go to war so that people like you can sit at home, scratch your balls and watch it on the news.
Old 17-07-2010, 11:59 AM #22
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

All his haters never did do a **** but living with their parents money or social welfare.

Last edited by MojoNixon; 17-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 17-07-2010, 12:00 PM #23
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Smart to be a coward... LOL Yeah, cowardice is such an attractive and admirable quality.

Luckily there are some people who are willing to go to war so that people like you can sit at home, scratch your balls and watch it on the news.
That's basically it, yes.

Now go to war, you coward.
Old 17-07-2010, 12:00 PM #24
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
You know Steve himself denied hero status on many occasions, right?

But hey, this is the wisdom of someone who needs to let everyone know they have an ignore list. Pow pow, baby!
You are not on my 'ignore list' "baby"... because your ignorance coupled with your astounding sense of self-importance amuses me.
Old 17-07-2010, 12:02 PM #25
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
That's basically it, yes.

Now go to war, you coward.
That doesn't even make any sense.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags