Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

Old 30-08-2010, 11:15 PM #1

Default American Football or Soccer?

Which do you prefer. American Football is obviously a more complex sport for intellectuals and Soccer is obviously for people that aren't quite as intelligant. Hence why Soccer is easier too play. And American Football is more popular in rich countries such as the USA and Canada while Soccer is popular in poor countries. Personally I prefer American Football but I do follow my team Chelsea's results.

Which sport does everyone else prefer? American Football or Soccer
DDRickyDD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 11:24 PM #2
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

American
Soccer just bores me to death.
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 11:31 PM #3

I prefer American Football. And for me, I moved to the US, when I was like 13. And I hated american football. I didnt understand it, and thought it was too slow. But I got into it, because everyone in my High school, went to the game, every friday, and the whole town was into it. THen i started understanding the game, and got into collegfe football, NFL, and Madden video games.

When you understand the game, the plays, and stategies behind it, its an amazing sport, and soccer is boring and simple compared to it.

But again, you really have to live it, to appreciate it. I dont see, anyone who doesnt live in the United states, prefering it to soccer.

And My Username, stands for Arizona Wildcats BTW. A College Football team!

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat!

Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 11:39 PM #4
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRickyDD View Post
Which do you prefer. American Football is obviously a more complex sport for intellectuals and Soccer is obviously for people that aren't quite as intelligant. Hence why Soccer is easier too play. And American Football is more popular in rich countries such as the USA and Canada while Soccer is popular in poor countries. Personally I prefer American Football but I do follow my team Chelsea's results.

Which sport does everyone else prefer? American Football or Soccer
You are annoying. So I have to do this.

*intelligent
Old 30-08-2010, 11:41 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
You are annoying. So I have to do this.

*intelligent
Haha! LOL! Owned!

Spoiler:

Quote:

Old 30-08-2010, 11:51 PM #6

Soccer.

I do love the inpact in american football though lol.

30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 11:54 PM #7

American Football!

Soccor is like watching paint dry...
'Conor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:05 AM #8
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
I prefer American Football. And for me, I moved to the US, when I was like 13. And I hated american football. I didnt understand it, and thought it was too slow. But I got into it, because everyone in my High school, went to the game, every friday, and the whole town was into it. THen i started understanding the game, and got into collegfe football, NFL, and Madden video games.

When you understand the game, the plays, and stategies behind it, its an amazing sport, and soccer is boring and simple compared to it.

But again, you really have to live it, to appreciate it. I dont see, anyone who doesnt live in the United states, prefering it to soccer.

And My Username, stands for Arizona Wildcats BTW. A College Football team!
Yeah, this. My Dad got quite into the NFL Europa league and he took me to a couple of London Monarchs (or English Monarchs as they became) when I was very little. That was my first taste of the game, but naturally at the age I had very little idea as to what was happening.

I started following the sport seriously about 3 or 4 years ago, although I'd been something of a casual supporter until then (I'd been a Broncos fan since visiting Denver when I was younger). I found it a little hard to get into at first, but, like you said, once you truly start to understand the finer aspects of the game, thats when you really enjoy it. It annoys me now when people compare the game to rugby because there's such huge differences in the two games. I've only been to one NFL game (besides the Monarchs game) and that was the Chargers vs Saints game at Wembley two years ago, I was away when the other two were on, but I'm going to see the Broncos take on the 49ers in October at Wembley which I cant wait for

I definately now prefer it to English football, and, Wildcat, I think you'd be surprised at the number of people that do. I'm on a couple of UK NFL forums (although only one that I really use) and there's thousands of people who prefer it
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:07 AM #9
That's Life

That's Life

I prefer watching "soccer" as I can easily see it live. I do love American Football though and would love to go and see a Jets game someday.
Old 31-08-2010, 08:29 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Yeah, this. My Dad got quite into the NFL Europa league and he took me to a couple of London Monarchs (or English Monarchs as they became) when I was very little. That was my first taste of the game, but naturally at the age I had very little idea as to what was happening.

I started following the sport seriously about 3 or 4 years ago, although I'd been something of a casual supporter until then (I'd been a Broncos fan since visiting Denver when I was younger). I found it a little hard to get into at first, but, like you said, once you truly start to understand the finer aspects of the game, thats when you really enjoy it. It annoys me now when people compare the game to rugby because there's such huge differences in the two games. I've only been to one NFL game (besides the Monarchs game) and that was the Chargers vs Saints game at Wembley two years ago, I was away when the other two were on, but I'm going to see the Broncos take on the 49ers in October at Wembley which I cant wait for

I definately now prefer it to English football, and, Wildcat, I think you'd be surprised at the number of people that do. I'm on a couple of UK NFL forums (although only one that I really use) and there's thousands of people who prefer it
OH cool. I didnt know that. BUt yeah, thats the thing, you like it, when you are around people who enjoy the sport and understand it!

I use to make fun of people who liked American football, because I thought it was a mindless dumb sport. BUt when you realise it, its so meticulous, with attention to the smallest detail. YOu run a wrong route by a few inches, and you setup your Quarterback to be intercepted. Your blockers, forget one assignement, and the whole play is messed up! Its a very precise game, and now I prefer it any other sport to be honest. And I am a NFL video game addict. I love MAdden games, and NCAA football games. They are amazing. Thats actually how I learned all the rules, by just playing it, and figuring it out for myself! Especially the different plays, and different assignement of each player.
CAnt wait for Football season to start. ONly 2 weeks

Spoiler:

Quote:

Old 31-08-2010, 08:56 PM #11

American Football is boring, too many stopages.

Soccer (Which should be called football universally, because its a FOOT and a BALL) is way better. More action, more drama.

Last edited by King Gizzard; 31-08-2010 at 08:57 PM.
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 09:42 PM #12

Soccer is only popular because it's dirt cheap. I mean you only need a ball to play it. With American Football you need pads, posts, the yard lines need marking out etc. This why poor countries in Europe, Africa and South America play Soccer while the rich countries in North America (USA and Canada) play American Football. American Football is the better sport and it's as simple as that.
DDRickyDD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:00 PM #13
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
OH cool. I didnt know that. BUt yeah, thats the thing, you like it, when you are around people who enjoy the sport and understand it!

I use to make fun of people who liked American football, because I thought it was a mindless dumb sport. BUt when you realise it, its so meticulous, with attention to the smallest detail. YOu run a wrong route by a few inches, and you setup your Quarterback to be intercepted. Your blockers, forget one assignement, and the whole play is messed up! Its a very precise game, and now I prefer it any other sport to be honest. And I am a NFL video game addict. I love MAdden games, and NCAA football games. They are amazing. Thats actually how I learned all the rules, by just playing it, and figuring it out for myself! Especially the different plays, and different assignement of each player.
CAnt wait for Football season to start. ONly 2 weeks
Yeah, exactly, for the people who dont understand it the appeal is lost on them, but once you do it's such a great game

I play Madden quite a lot as well, and I've always held a very casual interest in college football, watching the odd game throughout the year but I've never played the NCAA game cos they dont do a UK version for the Xbox.

Cant wait for this season, the off-season is so damn long lol. I dont hold high hopes for the Bronco's playoff chances mind you
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM #14
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
BB14: Gina
BB14 USA: Dan
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:

American Football is better by a decent margin. I find soccer to be rather boring. Basketball has them all beat tho.
SoBig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM #15

In American Sports for me

Basketball > Hockey > American Football > Baseball
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM #16
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Oh dear god, here we go again.

Which is best American football or soccer blah de blah de blah.

Typical American mentality. Take a game of rugby, pad up your men so they dont get hurt, double the amount of men on a team so they only play half a game each. Stick helmets on them and ponsify the rules so that TV companies can fit in ad breaks, add time out and other stoppages then compare it to proper football. Yes I am calling it proper football not soccer, we invented the game oh and the language therefore we are allowed to call it what we want.

You could change the name of that american game thingy to American Rules Rugby for Pansies.

Next you will be talking about World series rounders, oops baseball, thats where you took what was essentially a girls school game, changed a couple of rules and called it Baseball. World series though, nah I dont think so, how many countries have ever played in it, no more than a handful I bet?

And then we have basketball. Again derived from a girls game called Netball but because the yanks couldnt actually cope with standing still and passing and shooting you have to bring in the run and bounce garbage.

When you colonial chappies actually develop a game of your own instead of bastardising other peoples games come back and we can have a discussion like grown ups.

Last edited by Shasown; 02-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM #17
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
Oh dear god, here we go again.

Which is best American football or soccer.

Typical American mentality. Take a game of rugby, pad up your men so they dont get hurt, stick helmets on them and ponsify the rules so that TV companies can fit in ad breaks, then compare it to proper football. Yes I am calling it proper football not soccer, we invented the game oh and the language we are allowed to call it what we want.

Next you will be talking about World series rounders, oops baseball, thats where you took what was essentially a girls school game, changed a couple of rules and called it Baseball. World series though, nah I dont think so, how many countries have ever played in it, no more than a handful I bet?

And then we have basketball. Again derived from a girls game called Netball but because the yanks couldnt actually cope with standing still and passing and shooting you have to bring in the run and bounce garbage.

When you colonial chappies actually develop a game of your own instead of bastardising other peoples games come back and we can have a discussion like grown ups.

"Pad up your men so they dont get hurt", you're clearly ignorant of the dangers of American Football if you think that. There's a reason for the pads you know, it's because the way players are tackled they are not aware of the imminent hit a lot of the time thus having no time for the body to brace itself. There's also the fact that you are being hit above the waist with most tackles, and players are not restricted to just wrapping the players legs like in rugby. You know, before they had pads, way back in 1905, in one single season 18 people died and 159 suffered crippling injuries. Even with the pads serious injuries are still common, with players being paralysed all too regularly. I remember back to the first season I started follwing seriously, back in 2007, the first game I watch, Broncos vs Bills, the Bills TE Kevin Everett suffered a career ending injury, and it was thought he would never walk again. Also, if you knew anything about the game you would know that there afre massive differences between rugby and American football.

And as for basketball, netball actually orginated from basketball, which was developed a few years earlier. So no the "Yanks" did not "bastardise" it.

It's also pretty ironic if you ask me, how you state your desire to have a discussion like grown ups, when you are being so petty as to whinge about how American Football is referred to as "football" over there, or that, in baseball, teams compete in the "World Series". I think you are the one who should grow up, stop being guided by your anti-American xenophobia and recognise that American football, baseball, and basketball are sports in their own right, and you should start to actually gain some understanding of them.

Last edited by MTVN; 02-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM #18
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post

"Pad up your men so they dont get hurt", you're clearly ignorant of the dangers of American Football if you think that. There's a reason for the pads you know, it's because the way players are tackled they are not aware of the imminent hit a lot of the time thus having no time for the body to brace itself. There's also the fact that you are being hit above the waist with most tackles, and players are not restricted to just wrapping the players legs like in rugby. You know, before they had pads, way back in 1905, in one single season 18 people died and 159 suffered crippling injuries. Even with the pads serious injuries are still common, with players being paralysed all too regularly. I remember back to the first season I started follwing seriously, back in 2007, the first game I watch, Broncos vs Bills, the Bills TE Kevin Everett suffered a career ending injury, and it was thought he would never walk again. Also, if you knew anything about the game you would know that there afre massive differences between rugby and American football.

And as for basketball, netball actually orginated from basketball, which was developed a few years earlier. So no the "Yanks" did not "bastardise" it.

It's also pretty ironic if you ask me, how you state your desire to have a discussion like grown ups, when you are being so petty as to whinge about how American Football is referred to as "football" over there, or that, in baseball, teams compete in the "World Series". I think you are the one who should grow up, stop being guided by your anti-American xenophobia and recognise that American football, baseball, and basketball are sports in their own right, and you should start to actually gain some understanding of them.
Its called taking the piss, I am sorry you lack either the wit or intelligence to see that, you will note the OP did it in his own posts about the intelligence levels required to understand American Football as opposed to Football, then the relative wealths of the various countries playing either type of football.

Sorry if my post went right over your head. Would you prefer in future that I add sub titles for those people who suffer from a sense of humour bypass, such as yourself?

Last edited by Shasown; 02-09-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:02 PM #19
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Its called taking the piss, you will see the OP did it in his own posts about the intelligence needed to understand American Football, then the relative wealths of the various countries playing either type of football.

Sorry if my posts went right over your head. Would you prefer in future that I add sub titles for those people who suffer from a sense of humour bypass, such as yourself?
Well, the OP is just a troll, I learnt that in the football section.

And no, I guess my sarcasm detector was off because it did go over my head. But I replied before you edited with the "blah de blah de blah" and saying "you could change the name of that american game thingy to American Rules Rugby for Pansies" which did make it more obvious. As an avid American Football in the UK I do hear genuine arguments like the one you put across, and the "it's just rugby for wimps" rhetoric quite regularly, so I worngly presumed you were also doing so, and so I apologise for that, I shouldnt have gone off on one there
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM #20
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:

Quote:
World series though, nah I dont think so, how many countries have ever played in it, no more than a handful I bet?
The US has 29 teams and Canada has one. They make up the MLB.
SoBig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
american, football, soccer