Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Private Educaiton and Healthcare?
Yes 8 50.00%
Yes
8 50.00%
No 8 50.00%
No
8 50.00%
Im not sure/other 0 0%
Im not sure/other
0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-01-2012, 04:59 PM #1
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

Default Private Education and Healthcare

Do you agree with them?

I don't at all. If I had my why I'd abolish both of them because I abhor the idea that just because someone has a few more noughts on their bank balance than I, they get access to a far better system. It's ridiculously unequal. Ugh!
Old 20-01-2012, 05:07 PM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

I don't with school's in paticular,but I can understand it more with Healthcare as the NHS stink badly,my Grandad died because they delibrately held off saving him.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:10 PM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

health and education is a social right for all and a measure of a developed society

paid for schooling is for posh t wats who think that money makes them better
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:19 PM #4
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

No I don't think so, it just reinforces social immobility and especially in the case of education it basically guarantees a life of privilege for those who can afford them over those who can't. If you look at those at the top end of highly paid professions like lawyers and politicians, they are dominated by people who went to private schools, and they're also a lot more likely to get better grades and get into better universities. There's also the fact that private schools are detrimental to the quality of state schools, everyone should have access to the same standard of education I think, and while there some quite big discrepancies between state schools the focus should more be on improving that imo
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:22 PM #5
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedward fever View Post
I don't with school's in paticular,but I can understand it more with Healthcare as the NHS stink badly,my Grandad died because they delibrately held off saving him.
I think the NHS does a pretty decent job on the whole but that's terrible what happened to your Granddad. I'm so sorry.

It's just I think that the money that goes into the private health system would be better spent in the NHS. The more money it has, the better and if all the money that privatised healthcare companies get via their customers were put into the NHS through taxes, I reckon the extra money would make a good difference even though it is a niche market..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
health and education is a social right for all and a measure of a developed society

paid for schooling is for posh twats who think that money makes them better
That's exactly how I think about private schooling. The one I hate the most is Eton. It disgusts me in the way the graduates from there often go straight into government jobs and roles along with other high earning careers.

No-one should just get a free pass like that. It just keeps us in that rigid class system we're in that has almost no leeway. I hate it.

Last edited by Niall; 20-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Niall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:28 PM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
I think the NHS does a pretty decent job on the whole but that's terrible what happened to your Granddad. I'm so sorry.

It's just I think that the money that goes into the private health system would be better spent in the NHS. The more money it has, the better and if all the money that privatised healthcare companies get via their customers were out into the NHS through taxes, I reckon the extra money would make a good difference even though it is a niche market..
It's alright thanks Niall.

I would have respected the NHS more if they actually couldn't have saved him but they actually could of and they decided not to,they even lied on what he died of,the only reason I know this is because one of there workers grassed them up and wanted my Nan to sue them which she never did.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 20-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 20-01-2012, 05:30 PM #7
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

I don't know where I stand with this, I fluctuate between both sides of the argument.

But I dream and hope that one day we'll be able to live in a free, fair society (which I know will never, ever happen), so really, I suppose I oppose it more than support it.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:35 PM #8

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Do you agree with them?

I don't at all. If I had my why I'd abolish both of them because I abhor the idea that just because someone has a few more noughts on their bank balance than I, they get access to a far better system. It's ridiculously unequal. Ugh!
Well, while you're at it I would also abolish anyone having exotic holidays if all some people can afford is Butlins, and nobody should be allowed to own a property when so many can't afford to get on the property ladder. Once you've done all that, I suggest that all citizens are issued with a dictat as to what they may or may not purchase with the wages THEY have legitimately earned. After all if Joe Bloggs, who is too arsed to work and lives on benefits, can't afford the same lifestyle, why should a hardworking citizen who pays huge taxes be allowed to reap the benefits of their labour?

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:41 PM #9
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Well, while you're at it I would also abolish anyone having exotic holidays if all some people can afford is Butlins, and nobody should be allowed to own a property when so many can't afford to get on the property ladder. *Once you've done all that, I suggest that all citizens are issued with a dictat as to what they may or may not purchase with the wages THEY have legitimately earned. *After all if Joe Bloggs, who is too arsed to work and lives on benefits, can't afford the same lifestyle, why should a hardworking citizen who pays huge taxes be allowed to reap the benefits of their labour?
I didn't mean it in that sense.

I was getting at the problems private school causes within our society, as MTVN has already stated, privately educated children are more likely to get the best Jobs in society and earn far far far more than state educated children, all because their parents paid for them. How is it fair that parents can buy their kids access into the top of society? It just reinforces that old class system we have in this country where the less well-off stay at the bottom, and the rich remain at the top.

A holiday is nothing in comparison to this. Is a holiday going to get you/your kids a top job? Is it going to get you privileges that you didn't have before because it was expensive? No. But in my opinion, that's what private education does and it's quite awful.

Last edited by Niall; 20-01-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Niall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:57 PM #10
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

I disagree with private schooling. Even if I was extremely wealthy, I would never send my children to a private school.

I have always been against private healthcare too but recently I have seen and experienced some pretty awful nhs experiences, so I think I could be tempted to cover my family privately.
Old 20-01-2012, 05:59 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

NHS is awful,I would do it Lee,not to sound blunt or being miserable here but if you or any of your family get cancer you definitely need to stay away from NHS.

Old 20-01-2012, 06:00 PM #12
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I think some people have very good experiences with the NHS and some have very bad, I've always found it pretty good and Stephen Hawking credits it wit having kept him alive all these years
Old 20-01-2012, 06:03 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I didn't mean it in that sense.

I was getting at the problems private school causes within our society, as MTVN has already stated, privately educated children are more likely to get the best Jobs in society and earn far far far more than state educated children, all because their parents paid for them. How is it fair that parents can buy their kids access into the top of society? It just reinforces that old class system we have in this country where the less well-off stay at the bottom, and the rich remain at the top.

A holiday is nothing in comparison to this. Is a holiday going to get you/your kids a top job? Is it going to get you privileges that you didn't have before because it was expensive? No. But in my opinion, that's what private education does and it's quite awful.

It is the same thing though. People should have the choice as to how they spend THEIR own money. For example, why do people place such store on going to University? IMO, it's because they know that a degree will give them better career prospects and higher earning capacity to enable them to have a better lifestyle than those who either cannot afford to go to Uni, or don't have the academic ability to do so. Are you suggesting that those who invest 3-4 years of their lives in their future career prospects should be told what they can and can't spend their money on?

There will always be a hierarchy in society and to suggest it could ever be otherwise is naive. Those that contribute more will expect more out of life.
I brought up two sons on my own, I was always struggling financially, but I ensured they both won scholarships to private schools based on their academic ability because I certainly had no money to pay school fees. The reason i did so was to give them the best education I could (smaller classroom sizes, enhanced discipline and rigorous expectations and lots of extra curricular activities to stimulate and inspire them) because no matter what else happened in their lives, their education was something that could never be taken away from them.

People who pay school fees to send their kids to private schools and pay for private health care are actually doing the rest of society a massive favour by freeing up scarce resources for others, and remember that those same people have already paid for their right to state education and healthcare through their taxes and therefore have a perfect right to take full advantage. Thank goodness they don't otherwise the entire system would collapse under the burden of all those extra people.

It is just human nature to want to better oneself and climb the social ladder in terms of enhancing one's lifestyle -who in their right minds would advocate mediocrity?

Old 20-01-2012, 06:05 PM #14

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I think some people have very good experiences with the NHS and some have very bad, I've always found it pretty good and Stephen Hawking credits it wit having kept him alive all these years
Stephen Hawking hasn't got cancer and hopefully he never does as my Grandad was treated disgracefully by them.

Also one of my Sister's friends husband is dying of cancer and he only found out when he went on holiday to Australia because the NHS would keep holding him off.

Old 20-01-2012, 06:12 PM #15
Banned

Banned

If someone can afford it then it's up to them if they want to go down the private route. I've got no problem with them.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 06:16 PM #16
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
If someone can afford it then it's up to them if they want to go down the private route. I've got no problem with them.
this

I don't see a problem with it
Old 20-01-2012, 06:48 PM #17
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedward fever View Post
Stephen Hawking hasn't got cancer and hopefully he never does as my Grandad was treated disgracefully by them.

Also one of my Sister's friends husband is dying of cancer and he only found out when he went on holiday to Australia because the NHS would keep holding him off.
No but he was given 2 years to live at the age of 21. He's now 70.

Quote:
It is the same thing though. People should have the choice as to how they spend THEIR own money. For example, why do people place such store on going to University? IMO, it's because they know that a degree will give them better career prospects and higher earning capacity to enable them to have a better lifestyle than those who either cannot afford to go to Uni, or don't have the academic ability to do so. Are you suggesting that those who invest 3-4 years of their lives in their future career prospects should be told what they can and can't spend their money on?

There will always be a hierarchy in society and to suggest it could ever be otherwise is naive. Those that contribute more will expect more out of life.
I brought up two sons on my own, I was always struggling financially, but I ensured they both won scholarships to private schools based on their academic ability because I certainly had no money to pay school fees. The reason i did so was to give them the best education I could (smaller classroom sizes, enhanced discipline and rigorous expectations and lots of extra curricular activities to stimulate and inspire them) because no matter what else happened in their lives, their education was something that could never be taken away from them.

People who pay school fees to send their kids to private schools and pay for private health care are actually doing the rest of society a massive favour by freeing up scarce resources for others, and remember that those same people have already paid for their right to state education and healthcare through their taxes and therefore have a perfect right to take full advantage. Thank goodness they don't otherwise the entire system would collapse under the burden of all those extra people.

It is just human nature to want to better oneself and climb the social ladder in terms of enhancing one's lifestyle -who in their right minds would advocate mediocrity?
It's about offering equality of opportunity though, with private schooling causing such immobility between class and income levels it essentially means that such things are often decided by birthright, and not by effort or by ability.

If David Cameron had not been born into privilege and been lucky enough to go to Eton which allowed him to then go on to Oxford, would he be in the position he is today? Possibly but it's unlikely. The current cabinet is full of people who either went to a public school or who went to Oxbridge, in fact out of all the Prime Ministers under the current Queen only three have not gone to Oxford. You might say anyone can go to Oxford if they work hard enough and it's true to an extent, and to their credit Oxford has been doing more to allow those from State schools to get a place there, but still it is the case that private school kids are four times more likely to get straight A's at A-level. To add to this here's an article from the Guardian that shows that "Fewer than 1% of the poorest university students in England go to Oxford and Cambridge"

I don't begrudge anyone for sending their kids to a private school, and I can understand why you did it and where you're coming from, I just think it's more fair that everyone should carry out their education from the same starting point, so that it really does reward hard work and effort, and not birthright. Perhaps I'm too idealistic in thinking that but that is my view anyway
Old 20-01-2012, 07:11 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

It's about offering equality of opportunity though, with private schooling causing such immobility between class and income levels it essentially means that such things are often decided by birthright, and not by effort or by ability.

If David Cameron had not been born into privilege and been lucky enough to go to Eton which allowed him to then go on to Oxford, would he be in the position he is today? Possibly but it's unlikely. The current cabinet is full of people who either went to a public school or who went to Oxbridge, in fact out of all the Prime Ministers under the current Queen only three have not gone to Oxford. You might say anyone can go to Oxford if they work hard enough and it's true to an extent, and to their credit Oxford has been doing more to allow those from State schools to get a place there, but still it is the case that private school kids are four times more likely to get straight A's at A-level. To add to this here's an article from the Guardian that shows that "Fewer than 1% of the poorest university students in England go to Oxford and Cambridge"

I don't begrudge anyone for sending their kids to a private school, and I can understand why you did it and where you're coming from, I just think it's more fair that everyone should carry out their education from the same starting point, so that it really does reward hard work and effort, and not birthright. Perhaps I'm too idealistic in thinking that but that is my view anyway

I know exactly where you are coming from. I searched long and hard for a state school that I would be happy for my kids to attend, but in those days you had to live in certain catchment areas and I was offered the worst school in my area and it was my only offer. That is what prompted me to look at the private option and both my sons won scholarships based on academic ability. Most private schools today still offer scholarships to those who cannot afford to pay the fees.

You will know that virtually every Labour MP hypocritically sent their own children to private schools, whilst advocating state schools for the masses. I doubt there's a single one of them that doesn't have private health care. So much for a fair and equal society and THEIR faith in state education and the NHS. "Do what I say, not do what I do" was the motto of the Labour Party.

There are a lot of excellent state schools, but in my day I did not have the option of choosing which one my children attended, since I could not afford to move out of the catchment area I was in. Like any good parent, I wanted the best for my children and I make no apology for choosing the private option. If I had the money I would also invest in private medical care. I am currently in the middle of a medical negligence claim against the hospital that treated my brother who recently died of cancer. He was treated abysmally and I want someone to acknowledge that, accept blame and apologise. The NHS is an utter shambles and it's about time we adopted the American system of medical health insurance which would ensure a better quality of care than what we have now.

People who bang on about social equality are usually the first ones to take full advantage of private schooling and private healthcare when they can afford it. I would never presume to remove freedom of choice from people as to how they spend their disposable income.

Old 20-01-2012, 07:21 PM #19

I don't agree.

I always thought the NHS was good. Of course a problem is that you have to wait in line to have an operation usually. Maybe some units try and use cost cutting ways to save a person's life. This is not on if this happens. But from what I have seen from the NHS it mostly seems consistent, good healthcare.

With private healthcare is the only difference getting into an operation earlier than you would on the NHS?
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 07:25 PM #20

I probably wouldn't mind paying medical health insurance? But how much? We pay so much already in terms of bills and tax. I expect in the future if I am unwell the tax I have paid into society can pay me to get well again if I ever need an operation.

I think America is meant to be adopting the NHS system by 2014?

In terms of private education it is dividing social classes. Money needs to be generated more into free state schools before private schools.
Old 20-01-2012, 07:26 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I don't agree.

I always thought the NHS was good. Of course a problem is that you have to wait in line to have an operation usually. Maybe some units try and use cost cutting ways to save a person's life. This is not on if this happens. But from what I have seen from the NHS it mostly seems consistent, good healthcare.

With private healthcare is the only difference getting into an operation earlier than you would on the NHS?
The trouble is that the NHS does not offer consistent good healthcare - it very much depends where in the UK you live. My brother unfortunately was the recipient of negligent, incompetent healthcare consisting of misdiagnosis and protracted delays for hospital appointments which resulted in his cancer being so far advanced that it was inoperable and terminal within two months of eventual diagnosis. Anyone in their right mind who could afford it would choose private healthcare over the shambles that is the NHS.

Old 20-01-2012, 07:34 PM #22

Quote:
The trouble is that the NHS does not offer consistent good healthcare - it very much depends where in the UK you live. My brother unfortunately was the recipient of negligent, incompetent healthcare consisting of misdiagnosis and protracted delays for hospital appointments which resulted in his cancer being so far advanced that it was inoperable and terminal within two months of eventual diagnosis. Anyone in their right mind who could afford it would choose private healthcare over the shambles that is the NHS.
Okay well from what I have read it seems people who get cancer get the most mistreated in terms of the NHS. But when my mum has had like a hysterectomy with the NHS that was all fine for her.

Maybe I am being naive then. I am not on a lot of money. Probably about 12 grand a year after tax but from the tax that I pay I hope when I am older that I have a good healthcare in case anything goes wrong with me.
Old 20-01-2012, 08:02 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Okay well from what I have read it seems people who get cancer get the most mistreated in terms of the NHS. But when my mum has had like a hysterectomy with the NHS that was all fine for her.

Maybe I am being naive then. I am not on a lot of money. Probably about 12 grand a year after tax but from the tax that I pay I hope when I am older that I have a good healthcare in case anything goes wrong with me.
It does seem to be a bit of a lottery depending on where you live. Ideally, we should all be able to expect consistency in standards of care but sadly that isn't the case. I think it is down to how the individual health authorities allocate their budgets - I think the control should be handed back to central Government to ensure there are minimum standards of care across all health authorities and equality for all in terms of access to treatments and medication across the UK. Currently that is not the case.

Old 20-01-2012, 08:05 PM #24
Born to Folk

Born to Folk

Yes I agree with both, my stepdad cut back on a lot of luxuries and although retired is doing private work in order to afford to send my stepsister to private school as she is dyslexic and was struggling with her schoolwork. He moved her to private school and she is now flourishing as the teachers are able to spend more time with her and it has made a huge difference to her confidence.

With regards to the NHS they do thier best but I know so many people that have been misdiagnosed and/ or sent away saying that there is nothing wrong them until finally they despair and go private as a last resort and get a correct diagnosis and/or get better.

Last edited by Bollo; 20-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Bollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 09:19 PM #25
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

Quote:

This!

For me it's a case of everyone having a level playing field. However naïve and idealistic I am for thinking that then so be it but it's something I'd like to see happen..

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
education, healthcare, private