Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-06-2013, 11:44 PM #1

Exclamation Violence against women worldwide is 'epidemic'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22975103

Last edited by Omah; 21-06-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 11:50 PM #2

All those statistics are skewed by Asia, where the women often let it happen and see it as their job.

Last edited by LikeABoatOnWater; 20-06-2013 at 11:59 PM.
LikeABoatOnWater is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:08 AM #3
User banned

User banned

wheres the figure for men?
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:53 AM #4
xo

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Dani
Survivor 34: Andrea

xo

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
wheres the figure for men?
God knows :/, but for once can you not go off on a tangent, and just discuss this subject about women
Munchkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:56 AM #5
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkins View Post
God knows :/, but for once can you not go off on a tangent, and just discuss this subject about women
No. half the people on this planet are male....so why are males being completely ignored across the whole planet? are they not abused too?
Old 21-06-2013, 12:58 AM #6
xo

Favourites (more):

xo

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No. half the people on this planet are male....so why are males being completely ignored across the whole planet? are they not abused too?
I know exactly your viewpoint don't worry, just this thread is specifically about women, i wonder if violence against men is as epidemic, or if it is just women
I might look for some figures when im not as tired as i am
Old 21-06-2013, 01:21 AM #7
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I know exactly your viewpoint don't worry, just this thread is specifically about women, i wonder if violence against men is as epidemic, or if it is just women
I might look for some figures when im not as tired as i am
iM SICK TO DEATH of infinite supposed facts about violence purely against women? 72 million men died in world war 2....wheres the polls about that? I do not believe for a second the validity of these supposed polls and surveys covering billions of women. I do believe violence is rife is certain areas of the world and Id lie to see more done about it....but to simply single out one gender is absurd.....unite all people against all violence and one day we may actually be heading towards one world
Old 21-06-2013, 01:23 AM #8
xo

Favourites (more):

xo

Favourites (more):

Quote:
iM SICK TO DEATH of infinite supposed facts about violence purely against women? 72 million men died in world war 2....wheres the polls about that? I do not believe for a second the validity of these supposed polls and surveys covering billions of women. I do believe violence is rife is certain areas of the world and Id lie to see more done about it....but to simply single out one gender is absurd.....unite all people against all violence and one day we may actually be heading towards one world
I'm not going to argue against you.. because most people know society has reversed sexism in the other way, and its viewed as ok to take the piss out of men on tv, and be perverts towards them, but its not with women..
It would be interesting to see men violence claims to see if there is a change in the areas where women violence occurs vs mens
However this isnt to dispute the fact women do have violence against them, and this still needs to be highlighted, so that it can raise awareness and be reduced
Old 21-06-2013, 01:35 AM #9
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I'm not going to argue against you.. because most people know society has reversed sexism in the other way, and its viewed as ok to take the piss out of men on tv, and be perverts towards them, but its not with women..
It would be interesting to see men violence claims to see if there is a change in the areas where women violence occurs vs mens
However this isnt to dispute the fact women do have violence against them, and this still needs to be highlighted, so that it can raise awareness and be reduced

the topic is never really addressed honestly anyways
for example I now soooooo many women who choose to be with idiotic violent men.....not scared lie timid lambs, they actually choose to be there.....they encourage their men to be violent and to threaten and bully anyone who crosses them or gets in their way....they do the same with their sons....Ive seen it umpteen times.....they plead innocence themselves and even loo for sympathy but in the end they decide to stay.

any one can see a controlling aggressive person a mile away, yet so many women choose such men?

these simplistic polls also ignore the other forms of abuse , that no doubt occur way more against men such as getting other people to target them , also financial abuse where wives girlfriends will spend all their money tae the credit cards over the limits etc go to the shopping malls tomorrow and do a survey how many are men and how many women? id bet its 70% + women which shows women have the spending power....why should men wor long hours and die younger to allow the women to have the vast amount of spending power

all a woman has to do in western society is scream or cry and mae any old made up accusation to get a man destroyed and to get the mob to beat him....or ic him out of his house and home and tae his house and children away

wheres the worldwide survey on all that? that's right no one even bothers to write it up....men don't complain enough because theyre too busy working to pay for all these things women are shopping for
Old 21-06-2013, 01:37 AM #10
xo

Favourites (more):

xo

Favourites (more):

Quote:
the topic is never really addressed honestly anyways
for example I now soooooo many women who choose to be with idiotic violent men.....not scared lie timid lambs, they actually choose to be there.....they encourage their men to be violent and to threaten and bully anyone who crosses them or gets in their way....they do the same with their sons....Ive seen it umpteen times.....they plead innocence themselves and even loo for sympathy but in the end they decide to stay.

any one can see a controlling aggressive person a mile away, yet so many women choose such men?

these simplistic polls also ignore the other forms of abuse , that no doubt occur way more against men such as getting other people to target them , also financial abuse where wives girlfriends will spend all their money tae the credit cards over the limits etc go to the shopping malls tomorrow and do a survey how many are men and how many women? id bet its 70% + women which shows women have the spending power....why should men wor long hours and die younger to allow the women to have the vast amount of spending power

all a woman has to do in western society is scream or cry and mae any old made up accusation to get a man destroyed and to get the mob to beat him....or ic him out of his house and home and tae his house and children away

wheres the worldwide survey on all that? that's right no one even bothers to write it up....men don't complain enough because theyre too busy working to pay for all these things women are shopping for
It's a shame supposed women like that will give ones like me a bad name
Old 21-06-2013, 01:43 AM #11
User banned

User banned

Quote:
It's a shame supposed women like that will give ones like me a bad name
youre fine munchkins
Old 21-06-2013, 01:47 AM #12
xo

Favourites (more):

xo

Favourites (more):

If they did release statistical date for men and women violence, they could be directly compared aswell, to see exactly what countries are more violent to men, which ones are more violent to women etc, and see where it needs to be tackled most..
Old 21-06-2013, 02:02 AM #13
xo

Favourites (more):

xo

Favourites (more):

Also i just cannot see enough men coming forward with abuse cases tbh, it's sad really, but it would be viewed as negative by society for a man to allow a woman to abuse him idk :/
Old 21-06-2013, 08:54 AM #14

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Of course when you say worldwide you are actually referring to the Middle East , North Africa and Asia, parts of the world where the countries have predominately Muslim populations.
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 09:35 AM #15

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
Of course when you say worldwide you are actually referring to the Middle East , North Africa and Asia, parts of the world where the countries have predominately Muslim populations.
a) I didn't say "worldwide" - the title is a quote
b) Therefore I am not referring to any part of the world

Women who have suffered violence from a partner

The article, however, does indeed place the low income regions, Africa, the Eastern Mediterranean and South-East Asia, at the top of the list (above 30%) with the Americas just under (29.8%)

Religion is not included, but, AFAIK, Southern Africa is predominantly Christian, as are the Americas.
Old 21-06-2013, 11:33 AM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
a) I didn't say "worldwide" - the title is a quote
b) Therefore I am not referring to any part of the world

Women who have suffered violence from a partner

The article, however, does indeed place the low income regions, Africa, the Eastern Mediterranean and South-East Asia, at the top of the list (above 30%) with the Americas just under (29.8%)

Religion is not included, but, AFAIK, Southern Africa is predominantly Christian, as are the Americas.
I think you completely missed the point of my last post...!!!
Old 21-06-2013, 01:01 PM #17

Arrow

Quote:
I think you completely missed the point of my last post...!!!
No, I pointed out that it was factually incorrect, presumably because you hadn't read the article.

Quote:
The article DOES NOT refer to the "Middle East", "Asia" or "North Africa", but the Eastern Mediterranean, Africa, and South-East Asia, as well as Europe and Western Pacific.

The article DOES refer to Africa, which, as you pointed out is Muslim in the North, but which is Christian in the South; the article also refers to the "Americas" (Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia), which form a significant land mass and which, AFAIK, are very definitely predominantly Christian.

Last edited by Omah; 21-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 21-06-2013, 02:52 PM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I would comment on this thread... but I see it's been taken way off topic and turned into a baseless anti-women tirade. Again.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 05:33 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):
Exclamation

Quote:
No, I pointed out that it was factually incorrect, presumably because you hadn't read the article.

The article DOES NOT refer to the "Middle East", "Asia" or "North Africa", but the Eastern Mediterranean, Africa, and South-East Asia, as well as Europe and Western Pacific.

The article DOES refer to Africa, which, as you pointed out is Muslim in the North, but which is Christian in the South; the article also refers to the "Americas" (Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia), which form a significant land mass and which, AFAIK, are very definitely predominantly Christian.
The article may refer to women living in all these areas of the World but my point was to try and illustrate that women living in countries with Muslim populations in countries that practise Sharia law are the ones most at risk from serious assault and sometimes even murder.

Countries practising this barbaric medieval religious claptrap allow and in some cases encourage husbands to dispense ANY punishment on their wives as they see fit.

Violence against women worldwide will only reduce when women have legal protections against this kind of abuse...!!!
Old 21-06-2013, 06:14 PM #20

Thumbs down

Quote:
The article may refer to women living in all these areas of the World but my point was to try and illustrate that women living in countries with Muslim populations in countries that practise Sharia law are the ones most at risk from serious assault and sometimes even murder.
You didn't "illustrate" your "point" .....

You just made an unsubstantiated assertion .....
Old 21-06-2013, 06:34 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You didn't "illustrate" your "point" .....

You just made an unsubstantiated assertion .....
My point needs no further substantiation and it is not an assertion , it is a sad FACT....!!!!!
Old 21-06-2013, 07:03 PM #22

Lightbulb

Quote:
My point needs no further substantiation and it is not an assertion , it is a sad FACT....!!!!!
So where's your illustration to prove the FACT :

Quote:
A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is whether it can be proven to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
Old 21-06-2013, 07:52 PM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Wiki?.... really?
http://www.womensaid.org.uk/
Old 21-06-2013, 07:55 PM #24

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Nice illustration - what's your point ......
Old 21-06-2013, 07:58 PM #25
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I gave you some information for you to educate yourself.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
epidemic, violence, women, worldwide