Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB12 Celebrity Big Brother 12 started 22nd August 2013 and was won by Charlotte Crosby.

Discuss here.

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2013, 12:19 PM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Ron and racism..your opinions..?...

..so at some point I’m sure this will be discussed on the forum and people will obviously have very differing opinions, I’m a little undecided myself as to when he went into the house and the preconceived opinions I had in that I have listened/read what other people have to say and thought about their views..what he said was extremely racist and couldn’t have been mistaken/perceived in any other way..the fact that he didn’t realise it was being recorded makes it worse in some ways because that might be how he genuinely is all the time..or maybe he just said something ‘out of character’ and it’s ruined his career, which I don’t dispute was exceptional , he’s certainly very good at what he did and everyone is flawed but for me some flaws can be overlooked and some define that person ...I’ve also read that he ‘made one mistake and has been sorry/apologised ever since’ but I recall seeing him in Wife Swap with Tessa Sanderson a little while afterwards and he didn’t appear sorry at all and refused to discuss it, he seemed quite arrogant about the whole thing..it was only at the end when his wife ‘spoke to him’ that he appeared to even listen to what anyone was trying to say..maybe she helped him understand why what he said was so wrong because he genuinely didn't realise..?..or maybe she helped him to understand that he should ‘appear’ to be sorry etc..I don’t really know..I would quite like it if it was discussed in the house at some point to hear what he himself has to say now, he would never be a favourite for me anyway just because he doesn’t stand for much I admire in a person, his career just isn’t enough to make his character..but do you think he is a racist and can you like someone even if they are because of other positive qualities about them..?..I’m genuinely interested in people’s opinions....
Old 23-08-2013, 12:22 PM #2

Do I think he hates or dislikes other races, no, do I think he's prejudiced towards and stereotypes them, yes.

Last edited by DigitalSid; 23-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:23 PM #3
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

To be honest, I've forgotten what he did.

Was it a racist remark while he was broadcasting? Or had it been a series of things he said?
Old 23-08-2013, 12:25 PM #4
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post

Was it a racist remark while he was broadcasting? Or had it been a series of things he said?
He called Marcel Desailly a "big, lazy ni**er".

Old 23-08-2013, 12:29 PM #5
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

He's not intelligent enough to even know he's a racist. The man's an idiot. Last night on his VT the first thing he said was "One thing I can't stand is stupidness". Obviously there's no such word and he meant stupidity... but this is how he's got on in life. He's stupid, he pretends he's intelligent, and other stupid people believe him.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:33 PM #6

Favourites (more):
BB15: Helen
CBB 13: Jim Davidson

Favourites (more):
BB15: Helen
CBB 13: Jim Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSid View Post
Do I think he hates or dislike other races, no, do I think he's prejudiced towards and stereotypes them, yes.
I think its an age thing, both my parents saw all races in a stereotypical way, it was the way things were in their era's

In fact I grew up in the 70's and things were the same then

The weird thing was that both my parents were Irish and had suffered the same kind of racism when they came here, but still saw black people as 'different'

What you have to remember is that when people like Ron were young, large scale immigration was still pretty new, and all those different cultures felt even more alien before the internet, when most people knew very little about the world

One of the insults people would hurl at black people when I was a child, would be to call them 'spear chuckers', understandable perhaps, if the only black people you see en masse is in a Zulu film or Tarzan

When my mum came here in 1939, and walked out of Paddington Station, she saw her first ever black man, wearing a white suit and tap dancing for money, and she stood there for ages watching him cause she had heard about black people but wasnt sure whether it was true or not!!

I know that he worked with a lot of young black players who still say nice things about him, so maybe he's not so bad after all

Having said all that, I dont think he's gonna be in the running for winner
Old 23-08-2013, 12:34 PM #7

Favourites:
BB14: Gina

Favourites:

Yes, I think he is a racist.

Does that mean i automatically won't like him? Well, not necessarily. If I disliked everybody with racist views I'd spend a lot of time disliking people I meet in life.

I think it depends on a lot of other factors really. I've had friends who were racist (usually just the day to day passive racism that falls apart at any actual scrutiny) and likewise some members of my extended family are/were what I would consider to be racist.

It's a definite mark against someone though. And I find it very hard to like someone who genuinely believes that there is a natural racial hierarchy.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:35 PM #8

Quote:

Called a player, while he thought he was off air but was on, a "****ing lazy n*****", and later made a remark about Chinese women being the ugliest women in the world (clearly has never seen Lucy Liu ).

Last edited by DigitalSid; 23-08-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:37 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda123 View Post
I think its an age thing, both my parents saw all races in a stereotypical way, it was the way things were in their era's

The weird thing was that both my parents were Irish and had suffered the same kind of racism when they came here, but still saw black people as 'different'

What you have to remember is that when people like Ron were young, large scale immigration was still pretty new, and all those different cultures felt even more alien before the internet, when most people knew very little about the world

One of the insults people would hurl at black people when I was a child, would be to call them 'spear chuckers', understandable perhaps, if the only black people you see en masse is in a Zulu film or Tarzan

When my mum came here in 1939, and walked out of Paddington Station, she saw her first ever black man, wearing a white suit and tap dancing for money, and she stood there for ages watching him cause she had heard about black people but wasnt sure whether it was true or not!!

I know that he worked with a lot of young black players who still say nice things about him, so maybe he's not so bad after all

True dat. Though my mum was never racist and she grew up in postwar Salford. In fact she had a black boyfriend for a short time when she was 16.

Dad had some unpleasant views of muslims. But his family were from India and he'd grown up as a Raj child. They left just before partition and he saw some pretty nasty stuff that, I think, gave him a slightly warped view of them. In his defence though, he reeducated himself about that in later life.

My grandparents on my dad's side were racist. Grandfather would occasionally address asian doctors as 'boy' and had to be quietly reminded that he was not in the Raj any more. Gran was born and raised in Blumfontaine, South Africa, before moving to Calcutta. They both had some very strange ideas about race.

Last edited by DanaC; 23-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:38 PM #10
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

he's everything that's crap about English men.

Obsessed with football to the point of it being a religion, wary of anything that isn't English and white, and a gobshite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Old 23-08-2013, 12:39 PM #11

Ron is a racist. Probably why no one of colour is in show this year. I hate it when people who probably have never experienced racism in their lives *cough* say 'oooh all this PC-gone mad, black footballers ought to be greatful that the nice big white dude gave them their big breaks'.

*side eye*
Old 23-08-2013, 12:40 PM #12
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

He certainly doesn't come across as having too many brain cells to rub together.

I'm remembering the incident now. He vehemently denied he was racist and cited the large number of black players he had recruited. I imagine he would be very upset if this issue was raised in the house.

But a person's language can be a clue to their psyche..........
Old 23-08-2013, 12:40 PM #13
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

..I understand what you're saying Miranda, there was a lot of racist comedians etc 'back in the day'..the 'day' that was meant to be such a greater day than today as well and a lot of it was ignorance, people not being educated etc..but isn't that what racism is though...ignorance..?....does age make it more acceptable because he's also lived through those years and should have been 'less ignorant' when he made that remark, he didn't make it as a young person who may not have understood it..?...
Old 23-08-2013, 12:40 PM #14
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Ron Atkinson is NOT racist. He made a racist comment and he's paid the full price for that but remember he had three black players in his West BRom side in the 70's. He was criticised for this in a time when it would have been easy for him to only play white players he played players he thought were the best for their position. Ron
Atkison made a racist comment but Ron Atkinson is not racist.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Old 23-08-2013, 12:41 PM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
He certainly doesn't come across as having too many brain cells to rub together.

I'm remembering the incident now. He vehemently denied he was racist and cited the large number of black players he had recruited. I imagine he would be very upset if this issue was raised in the house.

I don't know how he could claim he wasn't racist when he used the word ****** like that in a negative way about a black man

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:43 PM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

..I really hope it is raised, I would be very interested to hear what he has to say now..but he was a very good football manager and would choose the right players regardless of race, so I don't think his argument would necessarily indicate he wasn't racist, just good at his job....
Old 23-08-2013, 12:43 PM #17

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Ron Atkinson is NOT racist. He made a racist comment and he's paid the full price for that but remember he had three black players in his West BRom side in the 70's. He was criticised for this in a time when it would have been easy for him to only play white players he played players he thought were the best for their position. Ron
Which means he was probably less racist than the rest of the footballing world at that time. But since the baseline for racism back then was people who actually thought black people were subhuman, that doesn't mean he was not at all racist.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:44 PM #18

Quote:

This is a fantastic post Miranda! ...I myself am 84 years of age in a few weeks, and can totally confirm your assessment of "Old Racism"....it wasn't right of course, and perhaps we are being a little liberal with ourselves in describing 'racism' in the distant past as 'not so bad' and 'in much better humour'....but I have to insist that old racism had scant little comparison with todays bile-ridden nastiness towards people of a different creed and colour!

To me....Big Ron is a pillock for saying what he said...but definitely not a racist by today's definition!

And that's really all I have to say on the subject! ...Thanks.

Good job it's Big Brother!........Big Sister would be Evil!
Old 23-08-2013, 12:44 PM #19
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I don't know how he could claim he wasn't racist when he used the word ****** like that in a negative way about a black man
..why didn't he just say 'that lazy whatever..'..why use the n word..
Old 23-08-2013, 12:45 PM #20
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
As usual, a very interesting point of view, G.

With anything other than football though, I maintain that he's an idiot.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:46 PM #21
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
he's everything that's crap about English men.Obsessed with football to the point of it being a religion, wary of anything that isn't English and white, and a gobshite.
..this exactly, I wouldn't admire anything about him even without the racist comment...
Old 23-08-2013, 12:47 PM #22
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Racism is not about making silly comments, racism in its purist form is about the prevention of different races from achieving their potential. Ron Atkinson had the chance to deny black people opportunities back in the 70's. He didn't. He was the only manager to promote black players and he made Brendon Batson captain. That does not fit into my definition of a racist.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by GiRTh; 23-08-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:48 PM #23
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

..so does that not just make him good at being a football manager which to him was his passion, not that he wasn't racist..?..
Old 23-08-2013, 12:48 PM #24
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
As usual, a very interesting point of view, G.

With anything other than football though, I maintain that he's an idiot.
He's an idiot for sure but not a racist idiot.

Quote:
Old 23-08-2013, 12:49 PM #25
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..so does that not just make him good at being a football manager which to him was his passion, not that he wasn't racist..?..
Read my other post.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
opinions, racismyour, ron