Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 PM #1

Default Economy: IMF Makes UK Growth Forecast U-Turn

Yes Feck You Labours Ed Balls Ponce

http://news.sky.com/story/1151741/ec...orecast-u-turn
Check the Graph

[The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has
upgraded its forecast for UK economic growth
by more than any other major economy,
in a boost to the Chancellor's fortunes.
It comes only six months after the IMF
downgraded its expectations for the
British economy and warned that
George Osborne's policies were
the economic equivalent of “playing with fire".
In its six-monthly World Economic Outlook,
the IMF predicted that the UK's gross
domestic product - the broadest
measure of economic growth - would increase
by 1.4% this year and 1.9% in 2014.
That compares to a forecast of just 0.9% and 1.5%
respectively when it last updated its projections in July.
It came as the IMF downgraded its forecast
for global GDP this year by 0.3
percentage points to 2.9%.
The rapid change in attitude will be
welcomed by the Chancellor, who is due
to attend the IMF’s annual meeting
in Washington later this week.]
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 PM #2
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

They have upgraded it at last from 0.9% to 1.4%.
After all the heartless policies of this Govt, we are only now at long last expected to reach the growth level that was there after the global recession and from the last quarter of the Labour administration.
Labours last quarter still containing their policies as to same was groeth of 1.1% way back in 2010.

It has taken all this time to just to even possibly be getting back to that starting point which this Govt let slip completely.

If things are, at long last thankfully, improving after all these harmful policies from this Govt. then they are more likely improving 'despite' this Govt. rather than because of this Govt.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
They have upgraded it at last from 0.9% to 1.4%.
After all the heartless policies of this Govt, we are only now at long last expected to reach the growth level that was there after the global recession and from the last quarter of the Labour administration.
Labours last quarter still containing their policies as to same was growth of 1.1% way back in 2010.

It has taken all this time to just to even possibly be getting back to that starting point which this Govt let slip completely.

If things are, at long last thankfully, improving after all these harmful policies from this Govt. then they are more likely improving 'despite' this Govt. rather than because of this Govt.

Yes

Nothing is Simple
Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM #4
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

But if the economy is recovering in spite of, rather than because of, the government's actions, then what are the reasons behind our growth forecasts continuously being improved while for other countries the reverse is true?
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I did say more likely,not certainly, 'in spite of' rather than 'because of the Govt'.
However, of course Govt will have had some effect but in reality it will be industry and business who are battling to keep things going and get improvement to secure success in the main I would say anyway.

Of course too the Govt. wil have won investemnt to the UK that also will help but I for one, really do wonder that without the really stifling austerity measures on such a grand scale being enforced, just what may the UK have been achieving as to growth over the last 3+ years.
I believe thait was a major factor, that the severe measures taken by this Govt when the UK already was in growth and growth rising each quarter too when it took office,which caused the growth to be lost.

The austerity measures also choked off people spending too. Which is why I myself believe, that the success in the main coming now,although it is still not yet assured only expected, is in spite of the Govt. coming down too hard with its austerity programme overall.
With some scaled back austerity measures,I think it was possible that the economy would not have flatlined for near the last 3 years and that the growth and recovery in place in 2010 could have probably been much better protected and nurtured.

Also of course, the austerity measures and the fact of higher inflation and limits to pay rises and benefit rises,means that even with this forecast of better growth.
From the position people were in as at 2010, all are,(with the poorest being affected worse),much worse off than then too and that is another likely failure and consequence of this Govts very severe austerity policies.

Last edited by joeysteele; 08-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 PM #6
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
But if the economy is recovering in spite of, rather than because of, the government's actions, then what are the reasons behind our growth forecasts continuously being improved while for other countries the reverse is true?
We sell more guns to tyrants?
Not because we took Mrs Jones home help.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 AM #7
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I did say more likely,not certainly, 'in spite of' rather than 'because of the Govt'.
However, of course Govt will have had some effect but in reality it will be industry and business who are battling to keep things going and get improvement to secure success in the main I would say anyway.

Of course too the Govt. wil have won investemnt to the UK that also will help but I for one, really do wonder that without the really stifling austerity measures on such a grand scale being enforced, just what may the UK have been achieving as to growth over the last 3+ years.
I believe thait was a major factor, that the severe measures taken by this Govt when the UK already was in growth and growth rising each quarter too when it took office,which caused the growth to be lost.

The austerity measures also choked off people spending too. Which is why I myself believe, that the success in the main coming now,although it is still not yet assured only expected, is in spite of the Govt. coming down too hard with its austerity programme overall.
With some scaled back austerity measures,I think it was possible that the economy would not have flatlined for near the last 3 years and that the growth and recovery in place in 2010 could have probably been much better protected and nurtured.

Also of course, the austerity measures and the fact of higher inflation and limits to pay rises and benefit rises,means that even with this forecast of better growth.
From the position people were in as at 2010, all are,(with the poorest being affected worse),much worse off than then too and that is another likely failure and consequence of this Govts very severe austerity policies.
The government did have the worsening Eurozone crisis going on in the first couple of years they were in office though, plus there was a steep rise in inflation in 2009/2010, two things which are no longer such a problem. Most of the signs seem to point to the UK starting to enjoy a sustainable recovery with things picking up across all sectors and the housing market in particular improving, I think people should just accept this for the good news it is and give credit where it's due..
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 AM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I disagree, they took over during a worldwide recession, the whole of the eurozone was in dire straights Ireland in particular.
There has been as said minimal recovery the AAA status was lost, there's not really much for them to crow about.
The changes they've made over the last year will have catastrophic consequences socially I really don't see anything worth celebrating.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 AM #9
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I disagree, they took over during a worldwide recession, the whole of the eurozone was in dire straights Ireland in particular.
There has been as said minimal recovery the AAA status was lost, there's not really much for them to crow about.
The changes they've made over the last year will have catastrophic consequences socially I really don't see anything worth celebrating.
Don't really get this? That was my point, that the Eurozone was in crisis during the first two years of the Tories taking power, which was a big reason behind the economy struggling in that time
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 AM #10
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

So everywhere is recovering ever so slowly, how are they to be applauded for this?
As joey said it would have happened anyway, it's not down to good governing.
The tory mantra is now not recovery, repair, restructure but as ever business, business, business... it's too soon.

The housing issue will blow up in the faces of anyone taking on a 95% morgage, repossession will soar as those who thought their jobs were safe are made redundant, just as they did in the 90's.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 AM #11
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Except as the OP shows not everywhere is recovering slowly, the forecasts for Italy, the US and Germany have been downgraded while the UK's has been upgraded. Along with this report by the IMF it was also reported a couple of days ago that the UK economy is growing at one of the fastest rates in the developed world. While a lot of other countries are still struggling the UK seems to be surprisingly stable, this is not something that can be achieved independently of government action that is supposedly hindering it
Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 AM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

That's as may be, but arms is big business isn't it?
And suggesting we're stable on predictions is generous.
What has made us so prosperous, can't be the benefit reforms as they won't be felt for a while yet.

Last edited by Kizzy; 09-10-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 01:08 PM #13

saturdays front page
Old 27-10-2013, 01:28 PM #14
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Of course we have all that lovely Chinese money!.... Yey
Old 27-10-2013, 01:47 PM #15
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Let's remind ourselves that despite the ongoing problems in the Eurozone and the after effects of the Global recession the last 2 full quarters of the then Labour Govts policies in 2010, in effect at the time, produced 2 quarters of growth, one of under 1% and the second one producing 1.1%.
We were 'in'recovery and growth of over 1% when this coalition Govt. took power in 2010, despite all that was going on elsewhere in Europe and indeed the rest of the World.

What we have had until now is at the very best flatlining as to growth and recovery and at worst more negative growth too.
At last and about time too, after all the hardship of the austerity measures from this Govt, a chance of sustained growth and better recovery is likely on the cards.

However, what has happened in between this is that people have been left struggling for longer and are far worse off then they were in 2010 because of inflation, which is yet still well above the Govts. target figure.

This Govt has little to crow about at all, I hope it will do now what it should have done when taking office in 2010 and nurture this growth it has and the recovery it brings too.
This growth figure of this quarter is still 0.3% under the growth this Govt had in 2010 when it came to power,with inflation still high that is still going to reduce further peoples living standards.

Personally I don't think the people will be as easily fooled by this Govt. as to it being successful, voters are not as aloof as they used to be, they do analyse a bit more now and just about everyone I talk to, feels a lot worse off then they did in 2010 and don't expect any real improvement in their position in the next 2 years.
Most of them too blame this Govt for that failure to protect their living standards and certainly will look negatively as to the request from this Govt that they need another 3 to 5 years to continue with the disastrous measures they have implemented for the last near 3.5 years.
Old 27-10-2013, 02:03 PM #16

"Most of them too blame this "

No
even each week on Question Time
The public blame 13 years of New Labour.
Old 27-10-2013, 02:11 PM #17
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

No
Considering the economy was healthy under labour until the global recession, thats a bit stupid tbh. That should read 'the public are swallowing the spin' really.

Anyway, this is good news. May it continue.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 27-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 02:12 PM #18
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

No
Not really, I watch question time and there is a balance as to who gets blame.

Labour cannot be solely blamed fairly for what happened globally in the banking crisis and ongoing recession. they did bring the country back out of recession and restored growth, admittedly at a high cost I accept.
Any Govt in power at the time however would have either had that massive financial cost or massive human cost as to unemployment.

For the loss of that recovery and growth over the last 3 years, Labour again cannot be fairly blamed for that, this Govt came together to ensure the recovery was sustained and growth nurtured.
It is this Govt that has failed over the last 3 years, not any other, and the shoots that are only just appearing now as to growth and recovery are way too long overdue and should have been there for most of the last 3+ years anyway with the measures this Govt has taken so severely.

Last edited by joeysteele; 27-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 27-10-2013, 02:19 PM #19

"cannot be solely blamed"

OK but 13 years
means they Do get Blamed for many Feck ups.
Old 27-10-2013, 02:32 PM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

And the collapse of industry in the UK who gets the blame for that?
Considering Thatcher put tens of thousands of families ON welfare and INTO poverty in the first instance?....
Old 27-10-2013, 03:51 PM #21
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
"cannot be solely blamed"

OK but 13 years
means they Do get Blamed for many Feck ups.
Not fairly though, just as in the case of the previous 18 years before that of Conservative Govt, not everything the Conservatives get blamed for in that time is justified either.

In fact for all but the last 2 years of Labour Govt. growth was solid and recession non existent.
Just about the longest period without such worries.

However, they could have done more to prepare for rainy days but again, I would dare bet no Govt. of whatever party anywhere in Europe or elsewhere, could have ever been prepared for what hit in 2008 and would have left massive problems on leaving office if voted out in later elections afterwards.
Old 27-10-2013, 05:17 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
And the collapse of industry in the UK who gets the blame for that?
Considering Thatcher put tens of thousands of families ON welfare and INTO poverty in the first instance?....

The Worse thing was New Labours 13 years
who let migrants in more than they should
and the hold their hands up to that.
Old 27-10-2013, 05:37 PM #23
-

-

Quote:
The Worse thing was New Labours 13 years
who let migrants in more than they should
and the hold their hands up to that.
There is little to zero evidence that immigration has had any meaningful impact at all on the UK economy. Its another divide-and-conquer distraction technique.

"Hey govt... How come nurses salaries have been slashed by 20% and in the same time MPs salaries have increased by 30%?"

"Oh umm ahh err well... Err... nurses are vital and do a great job... Umm and err yes umm oh aha err yes well umm. Anyway, how about those IMMIGRANTS!? Polish Punjabi sandfolks taking your jobs eh?? Vote Tory. kfanxbye #immigrantsarestealingyouriphone"

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 27-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 05:41 PM #24
0_o

0_o

Quote:
There is little to zero evidence that immigration has had any meaningful impact at all on the UK economy. Its another divide-and-conquer distraction technique.

"Hey govt... How come nurses salaries have been slashed by 20% and in the same time MPs salaries have increased by 30%?"

"Oh umm ahh err well... Err... nurses are vital and do a great job... Umm and err yes umm oh aha err yes well umm. Anyway, how about those IMMIGRANTS!? Polish Punjabi sandfolks taking your jobs eh?? Vote Tory. kfanxbye #immigrantsarestealingyouriphone"
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 05:42 PM #25
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Great post Toy Soldier.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
economy, forecast, growth, imf, makes, uk, uturn