Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-11-2013, 10:27 PM #1
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Default Children Forced To Attend Workshops On Islam Or Be Branded Racist

Quote:
Parents were ordered to send their children to a workshop on Islam or have them labelled as racist for the rest of their school career.

They were sent a letter warning that the primary school pupils would have a ‘racial discrimination note’ put on their records if they did not go.

Families were told to pay £5 per child for the Explore Islam trip next Wednesday to Staffordshire University, which would involve Year 4 and Year 6 children being shown Islamic artefacts. Parents accused Littleton Green community school of 'blackmailing' children to go to a workshop on Islam

Parents were sent a letter which threatened to brand their children 'racist' if they didn't go. Mothers and fathers were warned: ‘Refusal to allow your child to attend will result in a Racial Discrimination note being attached to your child’s education record, which will remain on this file throughout their school career.

Yesterday parents at Littleton Green Community School in Huntington, Staffordshire, said the threat to the pupils aged between eight and 11 was ‘ludicrous’. Gillian Claridge, 55, said: ‘How dare they threaten to brand the children racist at such a young age? It’s going to make them feel like little criminals.

‘The very nature of religion is all about choice. On this occasion they were not being given any choice at all. It was a draconian move and it’s left a lot of parents fuming.’

Stacy Waldron, 26, whose eight-year-old daughter is a pupil, said: ‘I feel my child will be [seen as] racist if I don’t allow her to go. This is my choice, not hers, and she shouldn’t have to pay for it.’

South Staffordshire MP Gavin Williamson described the threat as ‘bonkers’ and ‘a very heavy-handed approach’.

Parents were sent a text telling them to pay £5 towards transport for the trip to Staffordshire University.

He added: ‘The idea of attaching a “racial discrimination note” to children’s education records saying it will remain on their file for the duration for their school career seems unfair, particularly when it is not the child’s decision whether or not he or she attends.’

According to the letter sent last Wednesday, the visit is part of the National Curriculum for religious education and also reflects ‘the multi-cultural community in which we live’.

It went on: ‘It is a statutory requirement for primary school children to experience and learn about different cultures.

'The workshop will give your child the opportunity to explore other religions.
‘Children will be looking at religious artefacts similar to those that would be on display in a museum. They will not be partaking in any religious practices.
‘If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our RE co-ordinator, Mrs Edmonds.’

However, the school backtracked just one day later after council officers intervened.

Littleton Green community school in Huntington, Staffordshire, was told it 'required improvement' by Ofsted

A revised letter sent out on Thursday apologised for ‘inaccuracies’ and told parents: ‘On reflection, disregard a section from the earlier letter.’
Headmistress Lynn Small said: ‘We are a mainly Christian school, but we have to cover at least one other religion as part of the National Curriculum. This visit is part of that.

‘They would not be taking part in any religious practices. We have had similar workshops on a variety of religions in the past, including one on Islam, with no problems at all and the children have absolutely loved it.

‘We have pupils and teachers who belong to the Islam faith and it is right for the children to understand and appreciate their faith as well as their own.’

Littleton Green: The children from the primary school in Huntington are due to go on the trip next week

A spokesman for Staffordshire County Council said it was important for children to learn about different cultures but that parents had the right to withdraw their children if they wished.

‘Clearly it is not appropriate for comments about racial discrimination to be made in these circumstances,’ he added.

An Ofsted report this year concluded that the school, which has 341 pupils, ‘required improvement’.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2lPQjYmvG

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 10:49 PM #2
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

That seems a heavy handed if true, why is the mail the only news source used on the forum now?
Old 22-11-2013, 10:57 PM #3
User banned

User banned

wtf :s
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 10:59 PM #4
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
That seems a heavy handed if true, why is the mail the only news source used on the forum now?
Because that is where I found the story.

Spoiler:

Quote:

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Old 22-11-2013, 11:00 PM #5
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

It's the Daily Mail, it'll be bollocks.
Old 22-11-2013, 11:01 PM #6
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

It's actually in a few papers.

Spoiler:

Quote:

Old 22-11-2013, 11:07 PM #7
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Typical anti-Islamic Daily Mail article that's taken one small issue and blown it out of proportion in an attempt to slander Muslims tbh

But still, it's a ridiculous idea but this annoyed me

‘We are a mainly Christian school, but we have to cover at least one other religion as part of the National Curriculum. This visit is part of that.'

...um, because you have to? How about because you should be because that's what receiving a balanced, healthy and open minded education is all about. Either teach children about all religious beliefs on an equal level, or teach them none at all. This veiled indoctrination of kids is so disgusting.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 11:13 PM #8
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Sounds like an interesting trip to me, the kids should all want to go
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 11:59 PM #9
Banned

Banned

So basically it's a failing school that tried an underhanded method to fund a school trip.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:33 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Typical anti-Islamic Daily Mail article that's taken one small issue and blown it out of proportion in an attempt to slander Muslims tbh

But still, it's a ridiculous idea but this annoyed me

‘We are a mainly Christian school, but we have to cover at least one other religion as part of the National Curriculum. This visit is part of that.'

...um, because you have to? How about because you should be because that's what receiving a balanced, healthy and open minded education is all about. Either teach children about all religious beliefs on an equal level, or teach them none at all. This veiled indoctrination of kids is so disgusting.
Such veiled threats towards children by threatening to label them as 'racist' is what is really disgusting.

I think it is perfecting reasonable for a school in Britain to maintain traditional religions such as COE or Catholic as it's main religion - just as I would expect a school in Iran to do the same, and of course they would.
sassysocks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:37 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Sounds like an interesting trip to me, the kids should all want to go
Hardly the point. Such behaviour should never be allowed. It is intimidation at its worst.
sassysocks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:42 PM #12
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Default School children as young as 8 told they would be 'racist' for missing school trip

Quote:
School children as young as 8 told they would be labelled 'racist' for missing school trip

Parents have criticised the school's "ludicrous" threats and accused it of trying to blackmail them

Parents Donna Ward, left, and Tracy Ward, right, with their children (left to right) Caitlyn Lakin aged 8, Chloe Ward aged 8 and Harry Lakin aged 9 outside the school

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph
Parents have criticised a school after children as young as eight were told they would be punished for racism if they did not attend a religious workshop about Islam.

Angry mums and dads were sent a letter by Littleton Green Community School, in Huntingdon, Staffordshire, warning their children would be considered racist if they did not go on the school trip.

The visit to Staffordshire University - for Year 4 and Year 6 pupils - had been arranged as part of the children's "cultural education" on November 27.

Headteacher Lynn Small wrote to parents and said if kids did not attend a "racial discrimination note" would be made on the pupil's records and would remain there for their school careers.

On top of that, they were also ordered to pay £5 towards the cost of the trip.

Parents have criticised the school's "ludicrous" threats and accused the school of trying to blackmail them.

Stacy Waldron, 26, who has an eight-year-old daughter at the school, said: "I feel my child will be racist if I don't allow her to go.

"This is my choice, not hers, and she shouldn't have to pay for it."

Mum-of-four Tracy Ward added: "I was shocked by the letter. To be told my kids have got to attend this workshop is disgusting.

"Everyone should have a choice but that's my opinion and I don't want a stain on my kids' record as a result.

"They are not old enough to be called racist."

Her sister Donna, whose daughter also attends the school, said: "It's not our religion. We should have a right to stop our children going."

Another parent Gillian Claridge, 55, added: "To be told we had to pay for the trip as well was just a kick in the teeth.

"How dare they threaten to brand the children racist at such a young age. Its going to make them feel like little criminals.

"The very nature of religion is all about choice - on this occasion they were not being given any choice at all.

"It was draconian move and its left a lot of parents fuming."

Around 100 pupils across four years were expected to take part in the course - which would have involved them being shown Islamic artefacts.

But after parents contacted the school they were then forced to make an embarrassing U-turn and withdraw the threat after council chiefs intervened.

A letter from the head to parents apologised for "inaccuracies" in the previous correspondence.

In the letter Mrs Small asked parents to "on reflection disregard a section from the earlier letter".

South Staffordshire MP Gavin Williamson slammed the original move - labelling it "bonkers".

He said: "The idea of attaching a 'racial discrimination note' to children's education records saying it will remain on their file for the duration for their school career seems unfair, particularly when it is no the child's decision whether or not he or she attends.

"It seems a very heavy-handed approach."

Defending the decision Mrs Small said that exposing the pupils to other faiths was part of the school's statutory duty.

She said: "We are a mainly Christian school, but we have to cover at least one other religion as part of the national curriculum.This visit is part of that.

"They would not be taking part in any religious practices. We have had similar workshops on a variety of religions in the past - including one on Islam with no problems at all and the children have absolutely loved it.

"We have pupils and teachers at the school who belong to the Islam faith and it is right for the children to understand and appreciate their faith as well as their own."

The school, which was told it "required improvement" in an Ofsted report earlier this year caters for 341 pupils aged between 3 and 11.

A spokesperson for Staffordshire County Council said: "This is a school matter and the council was only contacted once the letter had been sent.

"We believe it is important for children to find out more about different cultures.

"However parents also have a right to withdraw their children from religious activities.

"Clearly it is not appropriate for comments about racial discrimination to be made in these circumstances."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...hool-trip.html

This headmistress is seriously inept... even labelling Islam as a religion, shouldn't teachers have some form of RE before spouting incorrect labels?! It really is no shock that the school is in problems with ofsted... and children should never be unjustly told they're racists for any reason, so much is wrong with this story.

Spoiler:

Last edited by reece(:; 24-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:44 PM #13
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Oh FFS Ben already has posted this, merge it please...

Spoiler:

Old 24-11-2013, 03:44 PM #14
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

reece why are you posting old news stories today?

Spoiler:

Quote:

Last edited by Benjamin; 24-11-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 24-11-2013, 03:57 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
reece why are you posting old news stories today?
Thats all he does
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:58 PM #16
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:59 PM #17
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Thats all he does
Don't lie arista !!!!

Spoiler:

Old 24-11-2013, 04:02 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
Don't lie arista !!!!

But this thread is proof.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 08:39 AM #19

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Maybe a lot of parents don't want their children having anything to do with Islam . Maybe a lot of parents view Islam with disdain and do not want their children involved with it on any level.

Maybe they view it as a nasty dirty,evil terrorist making medieval outdated religious extremist sect...

Or Maybe not.......????

But that's not the point is it ? They should have the choice to decide without their children being labelled as racists even if the parents are.
Old 25-11-2013, 09:14 AM #20
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:

First of all I think it's very important that school kids learn about all religions, but labelling those that didn't want to go in this trip racist is a bit much.
Old 25-11-2013, 09:35 AM #21
0_o

0_o

This is ridiculous. Especially given that the parents have to pay for the trip too.

Give us your money or your child will be forever thought of as racist
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:47 AM #22

The letter was retracted a day after it was sent out.. still stupid though.
Jessica. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:53 AM #23
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee. View Post
First of all I think it's very important that school kids learn about all religions, but labelling those that didn't want to go in this trip racist is a bit much.
Personally I don't think it is. Religion should be taught to those who want to learn about it in higher education but in my opinion I wouldn't waste children's valuable learning time on religion.

They should know there are religions out there and the basic principles including respecting people's opinions but that's it as far as I'm concerned.
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:56 AM #24
Lee.

Favourites:

Lee.

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Minds View Post
Personally I don't think it is. Religion should be taught to those who want to learn about it in higher education but in my opinion I wouldn't waste children's valuable learning time on religion.

They should know there are religions out there and the basic principles including respecting people's opinions but that's it as far as I'm concerned.
Yes.. That's actually what I mean. If I want my children to follow a religion I'd send them to church, but I do think that they should be encouraged and taught to accept and be respectful of all religions/races.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:25 AM #25
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Minds View Post

Agree. Its time to stop teaching religion in all schools. However , I think its wrong to label someone racist due to their reluctance to participate in any religious instruction.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
attend, branded, children, forced, islam, racist, workshops