Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 27-12-2013, 12:38 AM #26

Did not know Girl Thing originally had "Pure and Simple" before Hear'Say. They'll be singing that then because last year all acts did 3+ songs at the concerts, GT only had 2 singles...
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 12:39 AM #27
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Wow that's a pretty poor line up.
Old 27-12-2013, 12:49 AM #28
Z

Z

A1, Eternal and Damage are pretty good acts to secure; wtf at Tito Jackson's sons getting on the show, do they even have any hits? Girl Thing I had no idea who they were but I looked them up and I do remember Last One Standing... still, they had one hit. They could have got the bloody 411 on, at least they had two hit songs. The supergroup is a cringe worthy idea, to be honest if they couldn't get six decent pop groups to sign up they should have just gone for solo artists from the same era. They'd have had plenty to choose from, called it The Big Comeback and we could have had a decent line up of any of the following who had at least a handful of hits that people would know: Samantha Mumba, Darius, Gareth Gates, Sonique, Craig David, Billie Piper, Daniel Bedingfield, Natasha Bedingfield, Lolly....... I'm sure there are plenty of others who would be just as good as, or better, than any of those.

I find it hard to believe that they could get Kenzie to do it but not some of the other members of Blazin' Squad. I find it hard to believe they could get Dane Bowers but none of the rest of Another Level. Adam Rickett had one hit song. Kavana, I don't even know any of his songs personally, was he even in the same era as the other guys? Gareth Gates is a bigger star than the other four and that's saying something.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 01:01 AM #29

To be fair 3T had 3 top 3 singles (#2, #2 and #3) and one was a duet with MJ and their debut album got to #11 so not too shabby. I recognised/remembered their songs right away on first listen.

Kind of gutted Another Level aren't on it, just Dane... & Big Brovaz were supposedly confirmed months and months ago but no.

Last year nobody remembered Honeyz but they turned out to be the best live acts at the shows (Celena can sing!!!).

SO excited for Eternal though!! Thought this day would never come, they had endless hits worldwide but man they hated each other at the end, despised even.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 27-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 27-12-2013, 01:05 AM #30
Z

Z

I loved the Honeyz (as Shaun will confirm) - Never Let You Down and End Of The Line were songs I loved for years and then they were on the Big Reunion and nobody remembered them! Shambles.

I'll still watch the tell all episodes, the first series was really great and even though they flogged that horse to death, it was still amazing to see all these people reunite and talk about the pitfalls of fame and see what happens to popstars after the industry's gotten bored of them.

I was hoping for Big Brovaz - I wonder what happened? Eternal and A1 are definitely going to be the highlights for me - the made up band might be exciting too but it's gonna be a bit dull knowing that they'll end up hogging the lime light because they'll be trying to somehow form a group despite the fact the hits they have are for groups or for solo singers etc... it just won't be the same. There was something a bit fascinating and addictive about watching groups trying to remember their lyrics and old choreography.
Old 27-12-2013, 01:09 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The baby Zeesus View Post
I loved the Honeyz (as Shaun will confirm) - Never Let You Down and End Of The Line were songs I loved for years and then they were on the Big Reunion and nobody remembered them! Shambles.

I'll still watch the tell all episodes, the first series was really great and even though they flogged that horse to death, it was still amazing to see all these people reunite and talk about the pitfalls of fame and see what happens to popstars after the industry's gotten bored of them.

I was hoping for Big Brovaz - I wonder what happened? Eternal and A1 are definitely going to be the highlights for me - the made up band might be exciting too but it's gonna be a bit dull knowing that they'll end up hogging the lime light because they'll be trying to somehow form a group despite the fact the hits they have are for groups or for solo singers etc... it just won't be the same. There was something a bit fascinating and addictive about watching groups trying to remember their lyrics and old choreography.
I was so annoyed last year that people were like "what the hell are Honeyz?" because I was a big fan too!

I'm happy with the lineup I suppose but I mean, you'd think with the exposure and success last year had that there would be more 'high profile' ones signed up, know what I mean?

Remember also, there might be a "late arrival" like Blue last year so that could be anyone!
Old 27-12-2013, 01:18 AM #32
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnii View Post
I was so annoyed last year that people were like "what the hell are Honeyz?" because I was a big fan too!

I'm happy with the lineup I suppose but I mean, you'd think with the exposure and success last year had that there would be more 'high profile' ones signed up, know what I mean?

Remember also, there might be a "late arrival" like Blue last year so that could be anyone!
I think the thing is, there are some pop groups from that era who are too big for it (S Club 7, Spice Girls, Boyzone, Steps, Take That, All Saints) who have either reunited without the show or aren't interested in reuniting at all. Take That set the precedent for a successful reunion; Steps managed to do it too but to nowhere near the same extent; Spice Girls did a one off reunion for the Olympic Games opening ceremony and they'd already done a high profile reunion tour a few years before that... the original Sugababes have relaunched as a new act rather than a reuniting one, so there's that... then you have the first series of the Big Reunion. It was an unexpected success that went on and on and on... so now all these other groups from that era are left with the option to appear on the show if they think they couldn't do it on their own because interest wouldn't be enough; or they think they're better than that and do it on their own.

So, the groups have to be big enough that they had a few top 10s, maybe a number one, but not big enough that they could reunite and sell out a tour on their own... Atomic Kitten, Blue and 5ive were probably the peak of that sort of level of success. Ideally these acts would be at the B*Witched level - short lived but very popular. Honeyz should be the bare minimum level.

Eternal, A1 and Damage all fit the criteria. Big Brovaz would have been at the Honeyz level, maybe slightly above it. Blazin' Squad would have been okay. Another Level would have been okay. Hear'Say would have been okay. All Saints would have been the main draw but I think they thought they were above it. They're probably just a little bit too big for the show. S Club 7 were out of the question. Spice Girls were obviously out of the question. Boyzone could have been interesting... obviously no Stephen Gately for obvious reasons but it would have been nice to see them back together for a tour because I don't think it'll ever be the same for them again, with Stephen's unexpected passing away...
Old 27-12-2013, 01:19 AM #33
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

They should try and get Alesha Dixon back with Miss-Teeq
Old 27-12-2013, 01:21 AM #34
Z

Z

Oh Mis-teeq would have been great... I think that's another main problem with groups reuniting, so many of them had breakout solo stars who on their own are above doing this kind of thing but they would do it if their solo careers weren't doing so great... Alesha Dixon, Rachel Stevens, Ronan Keating...
Old 27-12-2013, 01:25 AM #35
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Ronan is back with Boyzone though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an S Club Reunion asap
Old 27-12-2013, 01:30 AM #36
Z

Z

Due to the throwaway nature of pop back then (to be honest, it's still like that now, it's just that the music isn't as cheesy or camp) it was actually really rare for groups to have any kind of sustainability, like managing to get an album out was a challenge in itself, never mind making it onto a second album or a third. That narrows it down so much - people want to see acts that they remember. People remember acts with at least half a dozen hit songs. Obviously the producers didn't know the show would be such a success. The acts went on to spin it out for as long as possible. They didn't know there would be a series 2, it's a shame they put so many great acts in the one series if we're looking at it from the series 2 lack of stellar names POV...

Hopefully there'll be a decent late addition... not sure there will be though. They should maybe just do a solo artist one after this, I think people would tune in for that if they got some big names signed up. At least they're only really wasting Gareth Gates on this one, and he's not thaaat big a deal really.
Old 27-12-2013, 01:34 AM #37

Was also kind of hoping for East 17
Old 27-12-2013, 01:46 AM #38
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

I think a solo one would be amazing actually, good idea.

omg I wish they could get A*Teens as a late entry
Old 27-12-2013, 01:47 AM #39
Z

Z

East 17 would have been really good actually... I'm trying to find some kind of list of moderately successful pop groups from that 1996-2005 period of music to see who would have been better...
Old 27-12-2013, 01:55 AM #40
Z

Z

The Big Comeback could have been a great idea (still could be) - obviously they aren't reuniting because they're solo artists but it could be the same idea; working towards getting the songs and dance moves ready for a big comeback show. There were plenty of solo artists from that same era who could sell out a tour. Imagine like Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Craig David, Daniel Bedingfield, Samantha Mumba, Billie Piper and Darius or something
Old 27-12-2013, 10:08 AM #41
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):

'Blue - Fly By' came on today at work
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 10:13 AM #42
Jemal

Favourites (more):

Jemal

Favourites (more):

Oh and hopefully the 411 are the late arrivals and will save the show
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 10:18 AM #43
nope

nope

Haven't seen any of big reunion but A1
Natalie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 10:20 AM #44
nope

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germyle View Post
Oh and hopefully the 411 are the late arrivals and will save the show
I actually love the 411, love their album
Natalie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 10:50 AM #45
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Saira Khan
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Saira Khan

I can safely say that I have never heard of any of these people.

Spoiler:

zakman440 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 02:33 PM #46

Safe to say Eternal are definitely going to slay, get them back to pop greatness where they belong. If you're a fan of 90's r&b/soul then download their first album "Always & Forever", instant classic.

Quote:
Eternal became an international success and achieved fifteen Top 20 hits in the UK, and have sold around 10 million records worldwide.

Always & Forever was a huge success, peaking at number 2 on the UK Albums Chart and was later certified 4x Platinum by the BPI for sales of over 1.2 million copies. It was 1994's third best-selling album in the UK, spending over 76 weeks in the charts. Always & Forever yielded two Top 5 singles, "Stay" and # "Oh Baby I..." The album broke records for being the first to sell over 1 million copies in the UK by a female group, the only album by a debut act to contain six top 15 hits and the first album by a female group to be nominated for best album at the Brit Awards..

Eternal's Greatest Hits has outsold collections by Destiny's Child, Spice Girls, Bananarama and TLC.
Also "Stay" went Top 20 in the States, wow not bad for a debut song.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 27-12-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 28-12-2013, 08:42 PM #47

To jog people's memories (if needed):

Old 28-12-2013, 09:00 PM #48

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman
X Factor 2013: Hannah Barrett

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman
X Factor 2013: Hannah Barrett

'Caught In The Middle' was decent but it's such a rip of 'Torn' by Natalie Imbruglia.
Glad for A1. Eternal's pretty good.
I actually kinda liked Girl Things singles.

Others can suck it.

Last edited by james130; 28-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.
james130 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 09:04 PM #49

I liked Girl Things songs but hey ho. Tbh for me I don't care how successful they were/are it's the backstories that do it for me.

I was a major Damage and Eternal fan though (90's r&b - can't beat it) so I'm happy.

Rumour has it that All Saints might be doing a "Blue" this series and joining later on.

The "supergroup" idea is starting to grow on me, each of the members have had big downfalls and I GUARANTEE they play off the whole both Gareth and Dane have shagged Jordan thing.

So we have:

Girl Thing - being created by Cowell, primised huge things, massive launch and promotion, flopping then being dropped and then Hear'Say taking their single and breaking records with it.

Eternal - The sister's reputation, the Louise thing, Kelle vs. the sisters, Kelle's lupus.

Damage - DRUGS, guns and Jade's marriage to Emma Bunton.

3T- being Jacksons, living in the shadow of MJ, current Jackson family disputes (one of them is now the full-time carer/guardian for MJ's kids).

A1 - the fan's deaths at their gig, Paul's exit.

5th Story:

Adam Rickitt - bulimia, shoplifting, Corrie.

Gareth Gates - losing his "angelic" image, JORDAN.

Dane - Another Level, JORDAN, failing to shake off the "Let me lick you up and down..." thing and be taken as a serious singer/producer.

Kenzie & Kavana - why?

Last edited by LaLaLand; 28-12-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 28-12-2013, 09:21 PM #50
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

I'm glad that All Saints aren't doing it, they're much better off without it imo.

The Big Reunion is good for cheesy pop groups, which is why it was so successful the first time as most of them had done well in that genre. Some people might disagree but I feel that All Saints shouldn't be categorised as 'cheesy pop'. I took them and their music seriously and I think they are above the show if I'm completely honest.

I can't see the second series doing well either. I wouldn't go see any of those acts even if I didn't have to pay.

Please Note : There is nothing wrong at all with being gay.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2014, big, lineup, reunion