Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-01-2014, 11:47 PM #26
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
Yes that's something that really annoys me, the UK is like the CCTV capital of the world but whenever anything happens it's always the same story, it either never got picked up on the cameras or they were facing the other way etc makes you wonder if it was worth the cash they spent installing them all.
Especially over or around water, let's hope they can piece it together, the club may have a pic of this creepy guy?
Old 29-01-2014, 10:02 AM #27
Z

Z

CCTV needs to be replaced with actual cameras. When I was assaulted in the summer it was caught on CCTV but because it was about 10 feet away from the camera and it was at night, it was too grainy to make out any kind of important details, you could just see that something was happening. Bloody ridiculous. We've had brilliant camera technology for ages now, there ought to be a huge government investment in replacing CCTV cameras with proper cameras filming in colour.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 10:52 AM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

I agree this story is starting to raise a few questions. Why could she not be tracked on CCTV as it has blanket coverage in most of our City Centres. How could she disappear so quickly from her friends.

Why did no one raise the alarm for so long, and why did her friends allow her to walk home alone in the first place especially if she was drunk and crossing bridges etc...

a lot of this does not add up....!!!!
Old 29-01-2014, 10:54 AM #29
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
I agree this story is starting to raise a few questions. Why could she not be tracked on CCTV as it has blanket coverage in most of our City Centres. How could she disappear so quickly from her friends.

Why did no one raise the alarm for so long, and why did her friends allow her to walk home alone in the first place especially if she was drunk and crossing bridges etc...

The only explanation I can think of is that she went a different direction after crossing the bridge to her friends, but what kind of friends leave you to walk home alone at 2am.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:00 AM #30
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post

Have you ever been to York? When I worked for a company, I had to go up there for a residential training course. It's a really lovely city, but is full of winding streets that bend loads, meaning that they'd have to have cameras every 40/50 feet to have full access to all streets without any blind spots.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:12 AM #31
mizzy25

mizzy25

It does seem a bit odd that one side of the bridge shes seen with a group of friends on cctv then on the other side, theres no sign of her. Didn't anyone notice she had gone? Or did they just assume she had? You don't know what way they go on when they are out I suppose, they may be casual in saying goodnight and just wander off without saying goodbye, this maybe the case, I really hope shes found safe and well though. The story about the creey stalker is not good though. Surely police will be able to find out who he is, they could ask the bar staff who said they would refuse to serve him etc, maybe the poor guy is totally innocent though but would be great to rule him out.
mizzy25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:17 AM #32
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
CCTV needs to be replaced with actual cameras. When I was assaulted in the summer it was caught on CCTV but because it was about 10 feet away from the camera and it was at night, it was too grainy to make out any kind of important details, you could just see that something was happening. Bloody ridiculous. We've had brilliant camera technology for ages now, there ought to be a huge government investment in replacing CCTV cameras with proper cameras filming in colour.
..yeah, I agree..I know that CCTV is effective in some cases but in many, it's just too grainy and unclear to be able to see much...I know at work with any incidents we've had, it's been impossible to see anything of any help to the police whatsoever and with the technology available with cameras, I don't understand why it has to be like that...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:22 AM #33
Jesus.

Jesus.

I see and understand the need for cameras around schools for example, but I don't think calling for better/more CCTV as being anything but a bad thing.

We're already the most watched people in Europe, and probably in the west. We should be trying to curb the abilities of the state to spy on the people, not improve it.

Accidents will always happen, and people will always get beaten up for no good reason, but more cameras with facial recognition is a really dangerous step to take for society.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:48 AM #34

Now more divers are searching the river

[It wasn't like Megan to walk home alone,
says friend as police centre hunt for
missing student on river where she was last seen]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2rn7wKVUg

Last edited by arista; 29-01-2014 at 11:51 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:57 AM #35
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I see and understand the need for cameras around schools for example, but I don't think calling for better/more CCTV as being anything but a bad thing.

We're already the most watched people in Europe, and probably in the west. We should be trying to curb the abilities of the state to spy on the people, not improve it.

Accidents will always happen, and people will always get beaten up for no good reason, but more cameras with facial recognition is a really dangerous step to take for society.
..I can see the need for them in schools with older children for incidents inside the school when they're probably often invaluable..but for incidents of intruders etc, which are mostly in the dark/at night..they seem fairly useless or of very little help...
Old 29-01-2014, 03:10 PM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

You would be surprised to learn the real value of CCTV cameras to the police and other security services. Although quite regularly mocked for not being able to prevent or stop crimes in real time, its value really lies in solving crimes already committed.

CCTV and other surveillance cameras allow police to track individuals and cars to and from the scene of crimes. so much footage is taken on any given day,week or Month that no one can really hide from these things.

Your movements could in theory be tracked across large areas of the Country and a large reason for the clean up rate of crimes increasing is due in no small part to the blanket coverage of us all by these devices.

We live in the most surveilled Country in the World..........and we don't even know it..!!!
Old 29-01-2014, 03:15 PM #37
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

Doesn't look great
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:15 PM #38
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Just heard on the news the police believe she fell in the river. Tragic

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 07:27 PM #39
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post

I think it's only a dangerous thing if you believe the risks outweigh the benefits. CCTV is invaluable when it comes to solving crimes and finding missing people; yes it's possible that CCTV could be abused by people in positions of authority but can't most things in life? In practise, the only people who should be concerned about being tracked on CCTV are people who have a reason to hide - it might be a bit disconcerting to think about being filmed all the time but isn't it worth it for the odd occasion when you do need CCTV footage to help you out - if you've been mugged or injured or you've gone missing... The reality is that it's already everywhere and there haven't been any major misuses of the technology that I know of, so why not update it to something with a better capacity for recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Just heard on the news the police believe she fell in the river. Tragic
Oh no...
Old 29-01-2014, 07:32 PM #40

Police are now saying due to drinking
she is in the River

On All News
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 07:45 PM #41
Z

Z

How bad must her friends feel right now...
Old 29-01-2014, 07:53 PM #42
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

They should feel awful
MeMyselfAndI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 07:54 PM #43
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Omg! That doesn't sound good.
Old 29-01-2014, 07:56 PM #44
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..Jeez, the nightmare that her parents must be going through as well...
Old 29-01-2014, 08:02 PM #45
Z

Z

See I would never leave any of my friends by themselves when we're drunk, partly because of how I've been brought up and partly because of my personal experiences from being alone and being attacked but I would always wait with a girl until she got into a taxi and home safe or walk someone to their door before I left them...
Old 29-01-2014, 08:22 PM #46
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I think that tragically, her friends might have a lot of time to reflect on what they could have done differently...
Old 29-01-2014, 10:38 PM #47
Z

Z

Just reminds me of the boy who died in Glasgow the other month, fell in the Clyde and died after a night out... scary stuff
Old 30-01-2014, 04:24 AM #48
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Just reminds me of the boy who died in Glasgow the other month, fell in the Clyde and died after a night out... scary stuff
..yeah, parents worry about stuff like that when there are stories like this ...
Old 30-01-2014, 09:27 AM #49
Z

Z

Obviously I don't know her, what she's like when she's drunk or what happened but I do always feel that sad stories like this could have been completely avoided if people knew their limits when they were drunk instead of getting into a complete state and not knowing where they are or what they're doing... just such a needless death... fingers crossed they somehow find her alive but it's not looking likely is it?
Old 30-01-2014, 09:52 AM #50
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
I think it's only a dangerous thing if you believe the risks outweigh the benefits. CCTV is invaluable when it comes to solving crimes and finding missing people; yes it's possible that CCTV could be abused by people in positions of authority but can't most things in life? In practise, the only people who should be concerned about being tracked on CCTV are people who have a reason to hide - it might be a bit disconcerting to think about being filmed all the time but isn't it worth it for the odd occasion when you do need CCTV footage to help you out - if you've been mugged or injured or you've gone missing... The reality is that it's already everywhere and there haven't been any major misuses of the technology that I know of, so why not update it to something with a better capacity for recording?

Oh no...
It's a basic civil liberty issue. We have the right to not have our every movement recorded against our will. It's a really weak argument to say that only people who want to do bad things, are the ones who would question this.

It's just not worth it to me, as we should never trade civil liberties for security. Bad things just happen. I've been beaten up in a city centre, and i still have the scar, but you just take it and move on. These things have always happened, and camera's don't prevent these things from happening.

To just volunteer up rights for our own protection reveals a lot about our psyche.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
20, days, fears, female, grow, megan, missing, roberts, student, university, york