Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-01-2014, 10:21 AM #51
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
It's a basic civil liberty issue. We have the right to not have our every movement recorded against our will. It's a really weak argument to say that only people who want to do bad things, are the ones who would question this.

It's just not worth it to me, as we should never trade civil liberties for security. Bad things just happen. I've been beaten up in a city centre, and i still have the scar, but you just take it and move on. These things have always happened, and camera's don't prevent these things from happening.

To just volunteer up rights for our own protection reveals a lot about our psyche.
I think it is worth it but I completely understand where you're coming from. Just in my opinion the line between protection and Big Brother Is Watching state depends entirely on the people in charge of that power and personally I've never felt threatened by it. It can't prevent bad things from happening but sometimes it can help solve crimes after they've happened and I'd rather rely on cold hard video evidence than a person's patchy memory as conclusive proof of something bad happening.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 10:24 AM #52
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

CCTV is a tool used in target hardening, a visual deterrent that does work.
Tech is being used because it can be, if it prevents crime or violence or aids in securing a conviction then surely that's a good thing?
We are moving on, things don't stay the same, I understand it does seem very 'big brother' (lol)
The pros do seem to outweigh the cons though.
Old 30-01-2014, 10:43 AM #53
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I think it is worth it but I completely understand where you're coming from. Just in my opinion the line between protection and Big Brother Is Watching state depends entirely on the people in charge of that power and personally I've never felt threatened by it. It can't prevent bad things from happening but sometimes it can help solve crimes after they've happened and I'd rather rely on cold hard video evidence than a person's patchy memory as conclusive proof of something bad happening.
I don't feel threatened by it either. It's just wrong. The problem is, that once you give people access to these things, then the temptation outweighs the intent. Look at the way the NSA have been listening to the conversations of leaders like Merkel. She's on their side and will have never been planning anything against the US, but hey, they had the capability so why not use it?

Civil liberty is an important part of holding liberal values - which I do, and there is no real need to live under such televised conditions. There just isn't.

The fact we may record the actions of (for arguments sake) 50,000 people on a daily basis in a city centre, to catch a couple of people is not worth it to me. We employ people to watch these cameras 24hrs a day, not to refer to in the case of crimes happening, but to monitor people as they go about their business. It's what Pravda used to do, but without the cameras.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM #54
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

they've found a body in the river Ouse apparently

Last edited by Ninastar; 02-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Ninastar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 PM #55
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1104...use_near_York/
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 PM #56
User banned

User banned

Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 PM #57
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

her poor family. I hope they get some closure at least
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 PM #58
Z

Z

Think it was pretty clear this is what had happened, sad to hear they've likely found her body. Cannot believe her friends didn't notice and nobody reported her missing for days... shocking
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM #59

Quote:
Think it was pretty clear this is what had happened, sad to hear they've likely found her body. Cannot believe her friends didn't notice and nobody reported her missing for days... shocking

Yes real sad if she fell in the river
and no one noticed
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM #60
Z

Z

It just really shocks me arista, I can only assume that all of the group of friends were extremely drunk - you'd have to be in a bad way to fall into a river in the first place I'd have thought; and for nobody to notice that as well, clearly none of them were remotely sober... but it's just the fact none of them noticed she was missing for days afterwards, nobody contacted her the next day to ask if she got home okay or check on her...
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM #61
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

They've found a body in the river in York
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM #62
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

^ i've posted about it already, they thinks its hers

and i know Zee, it's so strange, isn't it?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 PM #63
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
^ i've posted about it already, they thinks its hers

and i know Zee, it's so strange, isn't it?
I mean I know all friend groups are different but generally if I've gone on a night out with friends I'll speak to everyone the next day to see if they enjoyed themselves and speak about whatever interesting things happened or any plans we made or whatever. I can't believe they just didn't notice, it's horrible. I'd imagine they'll all have that on their consciences for a very long time, which isn't really fair on them because what could they have done differently? Just a tragic accident as far as we can tell...
Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM #64
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Confirmed to be her body. Can't post link right now
Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM #65
Z

Z

Tragic. It was to be expected though. Her family must be devastated and probably her friends who were there that night will be traumatised for a long time to come.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM #66
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

They must feel so guilty.

It's weird knowing people who knew her. There's another guy gone missing from my school and it's like never ending drama for our town
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM #67
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
They must feel so guilty.

It's weird knowing people who knew her. There's another guy gone missing from my school and it's like never ending drama for our town
That's surreal Caitlin, hope the guy turns up alive and well.. must be a sad time for everyone just now

There was a boy who was murdered a couple of years ago who was back in the news again recently as his family and friends were appealing for new information. My best friend on my course was friends with him, they were all devastated, he'd been out in Glasgow and had gotten a taxi home but had for some reason gotten out of the taxi nowhere near his house and was found dead in a field, definitely a murder but he had been seen walking up the A-road to his village so people have no idea who did it or why.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM #68
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I don't understand how her friends lost her in that ten minute gap of time when all they did was cross the bridge hope she's found but it isn't looking promising :/
Its easy enough done...we managed to lose someone while just going out of a bar door once. Searched inside and everywhere outside and in the surrounding area too. Still never found out where she went, she doesnt remember herself
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM #69
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Its easy enough done...we managed to lose someone while just going out of a bar door once. Searched inside and everywhere outside and in the surrounding area too. Still never found out where she went, she doesnt remember herself
Yeah just the other night I disappeared off home and none of my friends knew where I'd gone; these things happen, but the difference is that my friends were texting me asking where I'd gone and spoke to me the next day so obviously knew I was okay. I just can't believe none of her friends noticed for days. That's shocking to me.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM #70
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Obviously I don't know her, what she's like when she's drunk or what happened but I do always feel that sad stories like this could have been completely avoided if people knew their limits when they were drunk instead of getting into a complete state and not knowing where they are or what they're doing... just such a needless death... fingers crossed they somehow find her alive but it's not looking likely is it?
Yeah this is a huge problem. I dont get it personally..I always know when I have had enough and stop. Dont see the point in getting totally ratarsed to the point where you cant stand and are puking and forget most of the night or something

Not that thats what happened here by any means, just something that really confuses me.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM #71

Quote:

Drinking so much
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM #72
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Yeah just the other night I disappeared off home and none of my friends knew where I'd gone; these things happen, but the difference is that my friends were texting me asking where I'd gone and spoke to me the next day so obviously knew I was okay. I just can't believe none of her friends noticed for days. That's shocking to me.
Yeah the not noticing is quite dodgy :/

Having said that, I dont think them noticing sooner would have made much of a difference if her body has been found in a river. Chances are she was in there within a few mins of being lost :S
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM #73
Z

Z

Quote:
Yeah the not noticing is quite dodgy :/

Having said that, I dont think them noticing sooner would have made much of a difference if her body has been found in a river. Chances are she was in there within a few mins of being lost :S
Yeah I can't imagine she survived very long if she was drunk enough to fall into the river in the first place; and if her friends were that drunk that they didn't notice her disappearing then they wouldn't have been any use in helping her even if they'd noticed, perhaps more than one person would have drowned if they'd tried to help her. But yeah, just scary how alcohol can affect some people - when I'm absolutely wasted I still manage to get home in one piece, I don't lose any of my things, I take my contact lenses out and wake up in my own bed. I don't throw up everywhere, get into fights or wake up in strange places. Some people don't have that level of control, and I just think if your relationship with alcohol is destructive then you really should just learn to stay away from it before something awful happens...
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM #74

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Can't believe her "friends" let her wander off on her own considering how drunk she must have been. Notwithstanding the obvious dangers of wandering into the road or falling off the bridge, what about the fact that in her state should could have been attacked, raped or worse.

Scandalous really that they just let her wander off on her own.... they will have to live with the consequences of that decision for the rest of their lives..........!!!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM #75
Z

Z

People always talk about your 20s being a time when you get/do your first __ and that the world is your oyster... nobody really talks about your 20s being a time when sometimes, sadly, people die unexpectedly, maybe they get ill or they're in an accident or they're murdered. These things happen and I don't think anything can prepare you for it. This kind of thing would probably ruin your life.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
20, days, fears, female, grow, megan, missing, roberts, student, university, york