Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM #76
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Yeah just the other night I disappeared off home and none of my friends knew where I'd gone; these things happen, but the difference is that my friends were texting me asking where I'd gone and spoke to me the next day so obviously knew I was okay. I just can't believe none of her friends noticed for days. That's shocking to me.
I can see how it happens to be fair - people decide they've had too much or whatever and go off home without telling anyone... You just assume they've randomly buggered off or run into other friends or whatever. Then say the next day is a Sunday and you still don't hear from them - you just think epic hangover. Then it's Monday and everyone is back to classes and not really thinking about it any more, if none of the friends that were there were on her course they just wouldn't have any idea she still wasn't around.

Even in halls it can be ships passing in the night - I remember one weekend, I was wasted on the Friday night and wandered back to halls. just couldn't be bothered doing anything with anyone for the rest of the weekend, so I pretty much turned off my phone and camped out in my room watching DVD box sets. I was coming and going to the shops etc. And even using the communal kitchen but didn't happen to see anyone. On the Monday people asked if I'd had a good weekend back home! Everyone just assumed I'd gone to my dads for the weekend. Technically, I could easily have been dead in my room, or never made it home at all that Friday night.

Rambling a bit but, just saying, I can see how something like this could happen... People at Uni especially live such "individual" lives and just sort of flit about like that. Maybe this does suggest that people should be looking out for each other more, though.

Then again, I guess it wouldn't have changed the outcome here. Even if they had realised within half an hour that something was wrong, it would have been too late.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM #77
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I can see how it happens to be fair - people decide they've had too much or whatever and go off home without telling anyone... You just assume they've randomly buggered off or run into other friends or whatever. Then say the next day is a Sunday and you still don't hear from them - you just think epic hangover. Then it's Monday and everyone is back to classes and not really thinking about it any more, if none of the friends that were there were on her course they just wouldn't have any idea she still wasn't around.

Even in halls it can be ships passing in the night - I remember one weekend, I was wasted on the Friday night and wandered back to halls. just couldn't be bothered doing anything with anyone for the rest of the weekend, so I pretty much turned off my phone and camped out in my room watching DVD box sets. I was coming and going to the shops etc. And even using the communal kitchen but didn't happen to see anyone. On the Monday people asked if I'd had a good weekend back home! Everyone just assumed I'd gone to my dads for the weekend. Technically, I could easily have been dead in my room, or never made it home at all that Friday night.

Rambling a bit but, just saying, I can see how something like this could happen... People at Uni especially live such "individual" lives and just sort of flit about like that. Maybe this does suggest that people should be looking out for each other more, though.

Then again, I guess it wouldn't have changed the outcome here. Even if they had realised within half an hour that something was wrong, it would have been too late.
All very good points and completely true. I think it's safe to say that the moment she fell into the river she was a goner; if she was that drunk there's no way she'd have been able to swim and save herself; if her friends were that drunk that they didn't notice her disappear then they wouldn't have been able to help her.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:18 PM #78
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

This is so sad.

R.I.P. Megan. God bless.

Kate! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM #79
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

But they walked across the bridge with her and when CCTV picked them up on the other side she was gone, its not like she left the Club half an hour before them.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 03-03-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
But they walked started across the bridge with her and when CCTV picked them up on the other side she was gone, its not like she left the Club half an hour before them.

Yes so when leaving Bar's
Stick Together more
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM #81
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes so when leaving Bar's
Stick Together more
You are most wise Arista.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM #82
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
But they walked across the bridge with her and when CCTV picked them up on the other side she was gone, its not like she left the Club half an hour before them.
True, but people do wander off. You can leave a bar with a large group, get to the next bar and realise someone has gone AWOL... you just assume (and it's usually the case) that they've just seen someone they know and gone off to talk to them, or they've deliberately slipped away without saying anything to go home because they were done and telling people that you're going generally prompts people to start trying to convince you to stay out. It's easier to just go.

I'm not saying that it isn't sad that no one noticed or that there isn't a good argument for sending the message, to young people especially, that they should look out for each other whilst out drinking... just that I understand how it happened, and I do feel bad for her friends who will inevitably be blaming themselves already when it was just a tragic accident.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 04-03-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 AM #83

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Quote:
True, but people do wander off. You can leave a bar with a large group, get to the next bar and realise someone has gone AWOL... you just assume (and it's usually the case) that they've just seen someone they know and gone off to talk to them, or they've deliberately slipped away without saying anything to go home because they were done and telling people that you're going generally prompts people to start trying to convince you to stay out. It's easier to just go.

I'm not saying that it isn't sad that no one noticed or that there isn't a good argument for sending the message, to young people especially, that they should look out for each other whilst out drinking... just that I understand how it happened, and I do feel bad for her friends who will inevitably be blaming themselves already when it was just a tragic accident.
I agree people do sometimes wander off without saying goodbye, but in this case I think I'm right in saying they ALL left the Club together and they let her wander off on her own in the state she was in.

This is where I feel the people in that group made a terrible misjudgement, they should have either got a cab home or someone should have stayed with her who was less drunk to see her home OK.

You do not let drunken 20 year women go off pissed out of their heads on there own across bridges.

I don't blame the other people for this tragedy BUT I do feel this accident was entirely preventable.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM #84
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
I agree people do sometimes wander off without saying goodbye, but in this case I think I'm right in saying they ALL left the Club together and they let her wander off on her own in the state she was in.

This is where I feel the people in that group made a terrible misjudgement, they should have either got a cab home or someone should have stayed with her who was less drunk to see her home OK.

You do not let drunken 20 year women go off pissed out of their heads on there own across bridges.

I don't blame the other people for this tragedy BUT I do feel this accident was entirely preventable.
Yeah I agree with you Nedusa. I can see what Toy Soldier is saying, all very good points, but they were together as a group and in the state they were in decided to walk home. This could have been avoided if somebody hadn't been completely wasted in the group and was keeping an eye on everyone who was in a state; if they'd gotten a taxi or if they'd taken a different route home (perhaps that was the only way they could have walked home, I don't know) - her death was avoidable and it's really sad. I would never let a sober 20 year old woman walk home by herself at night, never mind one who's so drunk that she'd fall over a bridge and into the river, all sorts of terrible things happen to girls who go places by themselves late at night when people have been out drinking... :/
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 04:23 PM #85
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Another body found in a York river... a teenage boy this time though. Same scenario apparently, went missing after a night out.

Kinda weird how this never ever happens yet has happened within the space of a week?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
20, days, fears, female, grow, megan, missing, roberts, student, university, york