Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 AM #26
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
No, blaming games, films or anything else other than the killer just gives them a scapegoat. Games do not create killers, anything can trigger a killer to act even a lack of a trigger can be a trigger in itself. Blaming things like games for this is just a waste of everyone's times.

Millions of people play GTA, Assassin's Creed and COD so why don't we have millions of killers about if they have an adverse effect? Blaming games is just a way of absolving the killers of blame.
youre neother wholly right nor wholly wrong, violence is prevalent throughout our society and this clearly takes effect on millions to varying degrees. censorship is there for a reason, kids especially are much more impressionable. there have been copycat killings galore from movies and video games. the killers were all deranged and who knows they may have committed murders anyway. but we can only try our best to move society in a better more productive more creative peaceful way forward
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM #27

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

Favourites (more):

I'm not blaming games per say, i have had 2 nephews who played these games and haven't turned out murderous psychopaths.

Research has been done (scientifically) and it has shown that video games/horror movies etc desensitize young people, they have been shown to show less empathy, and are more aggressive after playing/watching games/films.

Yes i agree he already had mental health issues and may have been pre disposed to psychotic behaviour, but throw into the mix violent games and horrors and it may have been what pushed him over the edge, he had a deep seated hatred of his teacher and other teachers in the school, he felt no remorse, no empathy, and yet family and friends have said he was just a normal kid, it just doesn't add up, we don't know enough about this kid yet to know what his background was like.

Again i agree with truth that censorship is there for a reason, my nephews were playing 18 games and watching 18 films at 13, my teenagers always watch age appropriate content.

Give it 10 years and research will show that games/horrors negatively influence some youngsters (i'm talking underage gaming and movie watching).

Why else are some youngsters being radicalised, it's a form of brainwashing, i know there are many forum members, who like my nephews have played games and watched movies whilst being underage and are like my nephews...fine, but there are some youngsters that mentally can't cope and for this reason censorship is there for a reason.

You've only got to look at the Columbine High School massacre and the Sandy Hook killer to see the damage games can do, and again this is not a sweeping statement, it's fact that they was motivated by his violent games, but again they possibly had underlying mental health issues.

Last edited by rubymoo; 04-11-2014 at 07:13 AM.
rubymoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM #28

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Real life violence out of virtual worlds

Scary game monsterApril 20, 1999: 18-year-old Eric Harris and 17-year-old Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and a teacher in the Columbine High School massacre. The two were allegedly obsessed with the video game Doom.

1 April 2000: 16-year-old Spanish teenager José Rabadán Pardo murdered his father, his mother and his sister as an "avenging mission" given to him by the main character of the video game Final Fantasy.

20 November 2001: 21-year-old American Shawn Woolley committed suicide after what his mother claimed was an addiction to EverQuest.

February 2003: 16-year-old American Dustin Lynch was charged with aggravated murder and used an insanity defense that he was "obsessed" with Grand Theft Auto III.

7 June, 2003: 18-year-old American Devin Moore shot and killed two policemen, inspired by the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

25 June, 2003: Two American step brothers, Joshua and William Buckner, aged 14 and 16, used a rifle to fire at vehicles on a highway, killing a 45-year-old man and wounding a 19-year-old woman. The two shooters told investigators they had been inspired by Grand Theft Auto III.

27 February, 2004: 17-year-old Warren Leblanc stabbed a 14-year-old child in the park. Leblanc was reportedly obsessed with Manhunt.

October 2004: A 41-year-old Chinese man named Qiu Chengwei stabbed 26-year-old Zhu Caoyuan to death over a dispute regarding the sale of a virtual weapon the two had jointly won in the game The Legend of Mir 3.

27 December, 2004: 13-year-old Xiao Yi committed suicide by jumping from a twenty-four story building in Tianjin, China. According to his suicide notes, he hoped to be "reunited" with his fellow Warcraft III gamers in the afterlife. Prior to his death, he had spent 36 consecutive hours playing the video game.

August 2005: 28-year-old South Korean Lee Seung Seop died after playing StarCraft for 50 hours straight.

Tombstone saying Game OverJune 2007: 22-year-old Alejandro Garcia from Texas shot and killed his cousin after arguing over whose turn it was to play the game "Scarface: The World Is Yours". He pleaded guilty for murder at his trial on April 6, 2011, and will serve 15 to 30 years in prison.

September 2007: A Chinese man in Guangzhou, China, died after playing Internet video games for three consecutive days at an Internet cafe.

September 2007: In Ohio, 16-year-old Daniel Petric snuck out of the window of his room to buy the game Halo 3 against the orders of his father. His parents eventually banned him from the game after he spent up to 18 hours a day with it, and secured it in a lockbox in a closet, where the father also kept a 9mm handgun. In October 2007, Daniel used his father's key to open the lockbox and remove the gun and the game. He then entered the living room of his house and shot both of them in the head, killing his mother and wounding his father. Petric was sentenced to life in prison without parole. The judge said, "I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever".

December 2007: 17-year-old Lamar Roberts and 16-year-old Heather Trujillo were accused of beating a 7-year-old girl to death. They are said to have been imitating the moves taken from the game "Mortal Kombat".

December 2007: A Russian man was beaten to death. The man was killed when his rival in a video game challenged him to a real-life fight.

June 2008: Four teens obsessed with Grand Theft Auto IV went on a crime spree. They robbed a man, knocking his teeth out, stopped a woman and stole her car and her cigarettes.

2 August, 2008: Polwat Chinno, a 19-year-old Thai teenager, stabbed a Bangkok taxi driver to death during an attempt to steal the driver's cab in order to obtain money to buy a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV.

January 2010: 9-year-old Anthony Maldonado was stabbed by relative Alejandro Morales after an argument regarding Maldonado's recently purchased copy of Tony Hawk: Ride and PlayStation 3 console.

January 2010: Gary Alcock punched, slapped and pinched his partner's 15-month-old daughter in the 3 weeks leading up to her death before he delivered a fatal blow to the stomach, which tore her internal organs, because she interrupted him from playing his Xbox.

May 2010: French gamer Julien Barreaux located and stabbed a fellow player who had stabbed Barreaux in the game Counter-Strike.

October 2010: 22-year old Florida mother Alexandra Tobias killed her baby because he would not stop crying while she was playing FarmVille.

Child playing video games29 November, 2010: In South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 16-year-old Kendall Anderson bludgeoned his mother to death in her sleep with a claw hammer after she took away his PlayStation.

9 April, 2011: 24-year-old Tristan van der Vlis opened fire in a shopping mall, releasing more than a hundred bullets with a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun, killing 6 people and wounding 17 others, then killed himself. He was inspired by a video game known as Airport Massacre, where the player can choose (or not choose) to partake in the killing of a large group of innocent people inside an airport terminal.

I hope this gives you an insight into how easy it is to reach a point where reality and the virtual world are mixed in such a way that it clutters the thinking. Although I do not believe every child who plays video games becomes a violent criminal, I do believe that it changes attitude and adds fuel to our stressful life and that instead of finding ways to calm and sorting out problems, both children and grownups are learning to increase their heart rate and numb themselves to problems and difficulties.

Last edited by rubymoo; 04-11-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 AM #29

This Evil Boy
was Clever
but got into trouble with that Teacher
he was going to Kill himself or Her.

He knew what he was doing
even planned it.

15 year olds get depressed
all the time
but he took it in a Very Evil Way.

Happy to go to Prison
maybe while in there
part 2 - he tops himself.

He crossed the Line
and is still Angry at that Murdered Teacher
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 AM #30

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

well done, you found some cases which relate to games in someway.. but i hate to break it to you, in a lot of the cases you posted, the people involved obviously had underlying issues that lead them to their crime or action, none of them went out and did this just because of playing a game for a few days, that's a ridiculous notion.

For people to have the idea to go out and kill people, based off of something they have seen in a game, they must already posses some sort of idiocy in their brain to put plans like that into action.. kids with no mental health issues or, sociopaths tendencies, don't play a video game and then suddenly become psychotic killers, for that to happen there has to be some issue within themselves in the first place, yes, the video games might somehow enhance their imagination, but to lay blame on the hands of video games or movies or anything other than the person committing the act, is in my eyes, only taking the blame from the perpetrators hands and trying to throw it onto someone or something else, when in fact, the only person to blame for the majority of the crimes you have listed above, is the person committing the crime themselves.

Last edited by Liam-; 04-11-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM #31

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamPRW View Post
well done, you found some cases which relate to games in someway.. but i hate to break it to you, in a lot of the cases you posted, the people involved obviously had underlying issues that lead them to their crime or action, none of them went out and did this just because of playing a game for a few days, that's a ridiculous notion.

For people to have the idea to go out and kill people, based off of something they have seen in a game, they must already posses some sort idiocy in their brain to put plans like that into action.. kids with no mental health issues or, sociopaths tendencies, don't play a video game and then suddenly become psychotic killers, for that to happen there has to be some issue within themselves in the first place, yes, the video games might somehow enhance their imagination, but to lay blame on the hands of video games or movies or anything other than the person committing the act, is in my eyes, only taking the blame from the perpetrators hands and trying to throw it onto someone or something else, when in fact, the only person to blame for the majority of the crimes you have listed above, is the person committing the crime themselves.
I have already stated in my posts that the perpetrators possibly have underlying mental health issues, i have also stated that my 2 nephews who are both 18 have played these games and are not psychotic murderers, i never said that all kids became murderers nor did i say they would all go on to be murderers because of these games, please re read my posts to try to understand what i am saying.

Ask yourself would the 8 year old who shot his nan whilst playing GFA, still have shot her if he didn't have access/played the game?

I'm not generalizing, i'm saying there are cases that are directly linked to game playing, and that's a fact.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 AM #32

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
I have already stated in my posts that the perpetrators possibly have underlying mental health issues, i have also stated that my 2 nephews who are both 18 have played these games and are not psychotic murderers, i never said that all kids became murderers nor did i say they would all go on to be murderers because of these games, please re read my posts to try to understand what i am saying.

Ask yourself would the 8 year old who shot his nan whilst playing GFA, still have shot her if he didn't have access/played the game?

I'm not generalizing, i'm saying there are cases that are directly linked to game playing, and that's a fact.
I agree Ruby,to say kids are not influenced by what they see on TV games etc is just silly,I've lost count of the times my kids have role played things they have seen and played like Ninja Turtles ,Power Rangers etc,SOME kids will always take things a step further .

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM #33

"Ask yourself would the 8 year old who shot his nan whilst playing GTA, still have shot her if he didn't have access/played the game?"

But she needed to be Shot
for letting a miner play a Adult game

Life In The City
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM #34
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

This is terrible. I have no idea what pushes someone to kill. Getting bullied would probably push someone over the edge. Maybe he was having problems at school?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM #35

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

He had numerous images of knives on his mobile phone. He also had a keen interest in ultra-violent video games, including Dark Souls II, in which players hack zombies to pieces.
Players devour the souls of their fallen enemies to the sound of cries of agony. Disturbing images include a character made up of hundreds of human corpses. It was voted one of the ten Most Violent Video Games of 2014.

Will Cornick was obsessed with ultra violent games, he was 15 when he commited the murder, how long had he been playing these games? We live in a twisted stupid society where parents allow children to play ultra violent games, yet Tom and Jerry are censored for being too violent.......go figure!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM #36
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
He had numerous images of knives on his mobile phone. He also had a keen interest in ultra-violent video games, including Dark Souls II, in which players hack zombies to pieces.
Players devour the souls of their fallen enemies to the sound of cries of agony. Disturbing images include a character made up of hundreds of human corpses. It was voted one of the ten Most Violent Video Games of 2014.

Will Cornick was obsessed with ultra violent games, he was 15 when he commited the murder, how long had he been playing these games? We live in a twisted stupid society where parents allow children to play ultra violent games, yet Tom and Jerry are censored for being too violent.......go figure!
But most kids who play these games are not murderers. There must be something more to it.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 AM #37

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

There is something more to it, he's a psychopath, his interview with the psychologist proves that.. He had an irrational hatred for the teacher, there were no signs of bullying, his parents are still together so he isn't from a broken home either.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM #38
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
There is something more to it, he's a psychopath, his interview with the psychologist proves that.. He had an irrational hatred for the teacher, there were no signs of bullying, his parents are still together so he isn't from a broken home either.
This makes sense. I'm surprised his parents did not notice he needed help.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
But most kids who play these games are not murderers. There must be something more to it.
I agree Vanessa, i have 2 nephews who play Call of Duty games, and they are fine, but the rating is there for parents to plainly see that these are adult games.

But many parents bow to peer pressure and allow their children to play these games, there will be many more killings before people start to understand the devastating effect these games can have on some children/people.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM #40

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
His mother Michelle, 48, is a human resources manager, who was said to be devoted to the teenager and his 19-year-old brother Zack, who is in a rock band. Their father Ian is a 50-year-old council executive who lives with his partner and their young child in an upmarket village near Leeds.
Although his parents divorced a decade ago, Cornick seemed to enjoy a happy home life.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3I5iz3rbj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He's from a broken home, found the above in the Daily Mail.

Last edited by rubymoo; 04-11-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM #41
Banned

Banned

Nah, I think it's dumb and wrong to blame games for this kind of thing, you're absolving the killer of blame and that's wrong. A game did not make this kid murder his teacher, this kid chose to do so of his own accord. At best games can be a trigger and like I said before anything can be a trigger so blaming triggers for someone's actions is completely pointless.

As for your point about the eight year old, the issue with that story is not that he played GTA but that he had easy access to a gun. Again the GTA angle is just a way for the media to sensationalise the story and you are lapping it up. All the killers you listed were just using games as an excuse, and like with that GTA story you are eating it up.

These killers would have killed with or without games being in the equation. There's always been murderers, it's not something new that came about with the release of the first GTA game. Blaming games and any form of media just gives these killers an excuse. 'Oh it's not his fault, it's GTA's/Catcher in the Rye's/Manhunt's/Dexter's/The Dark Knight's fault for influencing him'.

Last edited by Tom4784; 04-11-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 AM #42
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Nah, I think it's dumb and wrong to blame games for this kind of thing, you're absolving the killer of blame and that's wrong. A game did not make this kid murder his teacher, this kid chose to do so of his own accord. At best games can be a trigger and like I said before anything can be a trigger so blaming triggers for someone's actions is completely pointless.

As your your point about the eight year old, the issue with that story is not that he played GTA but that he had easy access to a gun. Again the GTA angle is just a way for the media to sensationalise the story and you are lapping it up. All the killers you listed were just using games as an excuse, and like with that GTA story you are eating it up.

These killers would have killed with or without games being in the equation. There's always been murderers, it's not something new that came about with the release of the first GTA game. Blaming games and any form of media just gives these killers an excuse. 'Oh it's not his fault, it's GTA's/Catcher in the Rye's/Manhunt's/Dexter's/The Dark Knight's fault for influencing him'.
I agree. Sad, but true.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 AM #43

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Oh, i read somewhere that his parents are still together

But still.. he has many severe issues and the longer he's inside for, the better.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 AM #44

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

But still.. he has many severe issues and the longer he's inside for, the better.

I agree with this.

(Off to work now, catch you all later!)

Last edited by rubymoo; 04-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM #45
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Sounds like he may have some mental problems to me.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM #46

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Sounds like he may have some mental problems to me.
It's quite clear that he has mental problems, no normal kid would mercilessly stab a teacher in front of an entire class of people and then just go and sit back down as if nothing had happened.. I personally think that he should be going to an institute to serve 20 years rather than a prison.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM #47
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's quite clear that he has mental problems, no normal kid would mercilessly stab a teacher in front of an entire class of people and then just go and sit back down as if nothing had happened.. I personally think that he should be going to an institute to serve 20 years rather than a prison.
I agree with this. Not sure he will get the help he needs in prison.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 AM #48
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

I'm only young so maybe someone older can enlighten me but before video games what were people blaming for psychopathic murderers?

Horror movies?
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 AM #49
Banned

Banned

I do hope he gets some help, he's going to be released some day so I'd rather him be a productive member of society then a repeat offender...
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 AM #50

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I agree with this. Not sure he will get the help he needs in prison.
100% he won't get the help he needs in prison.. If the courts feel that 20 years is a sufficient enough time for him to serve and then to released back into society, then they should take every measure to assure that the kid is given help to control his issues and suppress his anger.

If they sent him to an institution he would still be serving out his 20 years, but at the same time he'd be getting the help he needs to make sure he's rehabilitated before being thrown back out into the big bad world, rather than just keeping him locked up in a cell for 23 hours a day.. which, if his mental health is as fragile as we're lead to believe, will probably make him deteriorate into a worse state.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ann, boy, killer, maguire, murders, planned