Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 PM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Keeping someone's name out of the press until they are found guilty is not censorship. If they're going to name suspects because they're famous, then they should name everyone who is accused of anything. We are all supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law.
No, but like I was saying (...in the entirety of the rest of my post...) "the press" is a dying medium and "news" (gossip, hear say, whatever you might call it) now gets around by a multitude of other means... so whether or not people are named in the press, people know who it is anyway. Whether or not it's in the papers is sort of moot, if it's all over social networking and freely available with a quick google search. I used the example of the "un-named Helen Wood punter from a BBC drama", who can't be named but we all know who it is. Another would be Rolf Harris, who was identified online months before his name was released, in the press he was being listed as "a famous person of a certain age". Everyone knew it was Rolf.

My point is that this would be all over the internet whether or not it was "allowed" to be in the printed press, and that already, a large number of people get most of their knowledge of world events online. As the generations roll on (easily within the next two), the printed press will be all but obsolete anyway. And you can't keep this sort of thing out of the "online grape vine" without a huge and unprecedented effort to "censor the internet". Which would be fundamentally damaging, for everyone.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 PM #27

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Cliff wasn't cleared in any sense of the word because it would appear,there is nothing for him to answer for never mind be cleared of anything.

He had his home searched after an allegation from someone, he then in his own time, visited the Police station and talked to them they let him go with no bail or charges or dates to talk to him again.

Therefore,it would seem to be a non starter anyway, he,it is rumoured,is threatening to sue over this issue,(I hope he does), and really it does bring into question any info going out as to police activities concerning someone after allegations are made.

The sad thing is allegations,even untrue and unfounded ones, cause immeasurable stress and inconvenience to people who likely have not done anything to answer for anyway.
I think that is the case with Cliff and it really does no service whatsoever to genuine cases of abuse when people come forawrd with false allegations.

I also believe, this with Prince Andrew will also turn out to be unfounded and it is really annoying that people get dragged through the mud in the press, when it is far from certain that there is even any reason to be reporting on the issue anyway, at a particular time.
Exactly.Well said
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 PM #28
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

He has aged so much look at his teeth
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 AM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
No, but like I was saying (...in the entirety of the rest of my post...) "the press" is a dying medium and "news" (gossip, hear say, whatever you might call it) now gets around by a multitude of other means... so whether or not people are named in the press, people know who it is anyway. Whether or not it's in the papers is sort of moot, if it's all over social networking and freely available with a quick google search. I used the example of the "un-named Helen Wood punter from a BBC drama", who can't be named but we all know who it is. Another would be Rolf Harris, who was identified online months before his name was released, in the press he was being listed as "a famous person of a certain age". Everyone knew it was Rolf.

My point is that this would be all over the internet whether or not it was "allowed" to be in the printed press, and that already, a large number of people get most of their knowledge of world events online. As the generations roll on (easily within the next two), the printed press will be all but obsolete anyway. And you can't keep this sort of thing out of the "online grape vine" without a huge and unprecedented effort to "censor the internet". Which would be fundamentally damaging, for everyone.
...yeah I agree that it wouldn't stop internet speculation etc the same as if it was compared to a local new story and people would speculate and indeed some would know who that person was/and gossip etc.. but that person still wouldn't be allowed to be officially named... and why should anyone famous/in the public eye.. have any lesser rights..because as Liv said, we are all equal in the eyes of the law and should be treated as such and that's far from being censorship, surely it's the exact opposite in a way...I just don't think that we can say...oh well, they would be known anyway..and that be a reason for it being allowed for their names to be published when charges haven't even been brought against them...

Last edited by Ammi; 04-01-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 AM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

I believe that it also 'fundamentally damaging' to continue to allow certain vile websites and individuals to make the most vicious attacks on people and peddle deliberate lies on the internet without some form of official concerted effort to close them down and punish them.

Democratic 'Free Speech' and 'Informed Opinion' is one thing, but undemocratic, unjust, and unpalatable, malicious slander and libel against innocent people, is wholly another.

The internet is a truly great innovation which is invaluable, but it is also the refuge of evil and very psychologically disturbed entities who inflict very real damage on innocent people and their families with their spewing of evil unsubstantiated bile against them, and this criminality should not be tolerated.

I have seen websites which contain comprehensive, well written and compelling articles which would have us believe that Cliff Richard was Lord Boothby's gay lover, Ronnie Kray's gay lover, that Cliff was actively involved in the murder of Jill Dando, and that Cliff has already been arrested for counts of pedophilia but that intervention by MI5 had forced the police to drop charges and destroy all documentation and 'evidence'.

The same horse**** website states that Tony Blair is a cross-dressing paedo who attended sordid parties with his cross dressing paedo friend Cliff where they .... Yawn. ZZZZ.

The point is, that this - and other poison pen articles on other sites - are written in such an authoritative style with photos and other quasi - authentic evidence, that many 'mentally dim' readers are going to be convinced of the truth of the lies, and come away to repeat such dross. And as 'birds of a feather flock together' their equally as 'mentally dim' cronies listening to the BS, are going to go away and repeat and embroider the 'facts' to their equally as 'mentally dim' cronies.

Before you can say 'Freedom of Speech' huge numbers of people are saying the same things so it must be true.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:09 AM #31

Virginia Roberts, whose story was first uncovered in 2007
She told extraordinary story of three years working for billionaire Epstein
Said that she was paid to give erotic massages to tycoon and associates

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3NqGj77oC

Virginia honey
are you Sure you knew who was Up You
back then?
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:29 AM #32
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

She was 17 so not that long ago to remember, if you're judged by the company you keep then for a prince Epstein the convicted peadophile was not the wisest choice.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:34 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...yeah I agree that it wouldn't stop internet speculation etc the same as if it was compared to a local new story and people would speculate and indeed some would know who that person was/and gossip etc.. but that person still wouldn't be allowed to be officially named... and why should anyone famous/in the public eye.. have any lesser rights..because as Liv said, we are all equal in the eyes of the law and should be treated as such and that's far from being censorship, surely it's the exact opposite in a way...I just don't think that we can say...oh well, they would be known anyway..and that be a reason for it being allowed for their names to be published when charges haven't even been brought against them...
More sense there Ammi as usual.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:40 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
She was 17 so not that long ago to remember, if you're judged by the company you keep then for a prince Epstein the convicted peadophile was not the wisest choice.

Yes in Florida
thats a minor

And the Prince, of course
will claim he did not know about
Epstein's private life.

Last edited by arista; 04-01-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:54 PM #35
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

The problem is that there has been an establishment cover up regarding senior figures and minors for years. We are now seeing the backlash to that unfolding. It is likely to dominate the news in 2015. With regard to the said prince, there have been rumours circulating about his behaviour for more than 20 years already, so at the very least he has been completely naive in his choice of friends
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 PM #36

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The problem is that there has been an establishment cover up regarding senior figures and minors for years. We are now seeing the backlash to that unfolding. It is likely to dominate the news in 2015. With regard to the said prince, there have been rumours circulating about his behaviour for more than 20 years already, so at the very least he has been completely naive in his choice of friends
I even heard a malicious and extremely distressing rumour that he once had a serious relationship with a "Ginger" , Urrugghhh !!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:29 PM #37
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
I even heard a malicious and extremely distressing rumour that he once had a serious relationship with a "Ginger" , Urrugghhh !!!!
I won't even start on some of the rumours relating to Ginger
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 PM #38

Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 PM #39
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

I mean... I'm not going to say anything about what the background of that photo looks like, but...
MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM #40
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Old 05-01-2015, 05:03 AM #41
User banned

User banned

it should all remain 100% anonymous until a prson is charged
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
it should all remain 100% anonymous until a person is charged

Sure
but its out of the bag now
Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM #43

He probably did it. Shame on him.

Last edited by lostalex; 05-01-2015 at 12:03 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM #44
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Yeah that's the otherside of it of course, the same thing has been happening with all the child abuse by priests who would have been almost above the law over here up until recently

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 05-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM #45
You know my methods

You know my methods

i could care less about him
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:08 PM #46
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

couldn't*

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 05-01-2015, 12:11 PM #47
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
couldn't*
i could care less about him couldn't
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:11 PM #48
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

That's better

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

Virginia Roberts, whose story was first uncovered in 2007
She told extraordinary story of three years working for billionaire Epstein
Said that she was paid to give erotic massages to tycoon and associates

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3NqGj77oC

Virginia honey
are you Sure you knew who was Up You
back then?
True and funny Arista.