Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-12-2006, 11:24 PM #26

I think we should bring back the death penalty..

too many people being release early and committing serious crimes like murder/rape when they are out..

I think murderers and animal torturers should be killed they way they have killed.. like a yob having a slab tied to his neck and being thrown in a river like he did to the little dog

OMG i'm getting angry!

No chance of the death penalty being reintroduced though because in this country the criminals dont even serve a jail sentence.

Jail life isn't a fit punishment with the sky TV and gym equipment etc etc etc
Diablo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 11:29 PM #27
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Diablo
I think we should bring back the death penalty..

too many people being release early and committing serious crimes like murder/rape when they are out..

I think murderers and animal torturers should be killed they way they have killed.. like a yob having a slab tied to his neck and being thrown in a river like he did to the little dog

OMG i'm getting angry!

No chance of the death penalty being reintroduced though because in this country the criminals dont even serve a jail sentence.

Jail life isn't a fit punishment with the sky TV and gym equipment etc etc etc
Amen to that sister!
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 11:31 PM #28

criminals get away with far too much in the UK.. some countries cut hands off..
Old 18-12-2006, 11:34 PM #29
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Any one that intentionally brings harm to another living thing (Apart from plants, haha) - deserve to have the same done back to them.

We're a soft country.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 11:37 PM #30

too politically correct... drives me mad sometimes..
Old 19-12-2006, 08:12 AM #31

TBH i dont see how the death penality would help with anything
Ive been stydying ruth ellis who was the last person to be hanged in Britain, and to be honest i dont see how killing her achieved anything
And if it didnt back then it wont do today
Also I think murders should serve their time in a grungy old cell, cause thats where they should be
Death is such as easy option out we should make them live a life of hell cause thats what these sort of people deserve
Lil-Lindz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 11:43 AM #32

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil-Lindz

Also I think murders should serve their time in a grungy old cell, cause thats where they should be
Death is such as easy option out we should make them live a life of hell cause thats what these sort of people deserve

Do they live a life of hell in a grungy old cell though???
I dont think they do.....
Old 19-12-2006, 03:26 PM #33

This is quite a useful topic for me, seeing as I just came back from a Criminal Law course at a nearby university!

There's always going to be fors and againsts. But we were told about how in Texas alone, over the last century alone, hundreds of people have been executed when they were actually proven innocent afterwards. Whilst people like Ian Huntley etc. certainly are vile criminals, bringing the death penalty back might result in a similar way - you're still taking away innocent lives. Additionally, sometimes in death penalty cases, the lawyers tend to make decisions about people and crimes they'll do before they have even done them, i.e. saying they'll be a threat to society, e.g. 'this person has committed a grave crime, and we feel they will be a risk to people in future and may do it again, therefore we must execute this person.' How can you say something like that though? You could say you could get a psychiatrist in to analyse what the criminal really thinks, but how far is that reliable? You're still taking it for granted when you can't really afford to do that, and that's another point to weaken the death penalty issue.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 04:42 PM #34

There are very real issues of human rights that will effect us all if it were to be reintroduced.
Will the government introduce laws that are just and contain sufficient safeguards and will the judiciary administer them properly?

We are all potentially capable of murder (a lot of domestic murders, where one partner murders the other during a row, are first time crimes) and, therefore, we must each consider whether we and our loved ones are more at risk of being murdered or being executed for committing murder.

We also need to consider what the likelihood is of innocent people being executed - it is inevitable that it would happen sooner or later in this country and has already happened in many other countries, It has never been shown to deter crime more effectively than any other punishments so why do it!

Can the police, the courts, and the system generally be trusted to get things right on every occasion? They never have been able to previously.

Will juries be willing to convict in capital cases? Would you like to have to make the decision as to whether the person in the dock should live or die?

Will the government really be willing to carry out death sentences or will they find every excuse for not doing so, thus returning to the injustices of earlier centuries?

My husbands Aunt was brutally murdered a lot of years ago, the murderer was recently released and went on to kill again, so our family more than many should be the ones crying out for this kind of punishment, yet we are not. None of us would like to be a party to ending someone elses life.

I also voted No because I just dont think our systems of justice are solid enough to ensure that all convictions are in fact safe! I have also worked within the prison system for a long time and have met people who have been released after many years behind bars after being proven innocent!

Look at some of the women recently who were sent to prison on life sentences for the murder of their babies all based on the evidence of a scientist who had in fact got it very wrong. I would not like to be the one involved in the decision making process if the death sentence was brought back to this country.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 05:41 PM #35

Favourites:
BB12 USA: Britney

Favourites:
BB12 USA: Britney

I also had the view of 'an eye for an eye' and if you kill somebody then you should be killed, end of really but that was before i realised a lot more stronger points for being against it.

The main reason i am 100% against it is the fact that innocent people have been executed because of it. You can say that forensic science has been introduced etc and yeah it has and yeah it helps a lot but there are still come cases, some recent cases in which innocent people have been killed for crimes they did not commit and i think for that reason alone, it should not be brought back however there are more reasons i am against it. Maybe the facts are that only 0.1% of all people who have been excecuted were innocent, does that 0.1% not matter? Should that chance be taken? I don't know the correct percentages mind, it was just an example.

I think that they should be thrown in prision and 'left to rot' and not only that, being in prision gives the police or whoever the chance to get more proof and maybe prove the innocent onces innocent and although that's not ideal for innocent people, surely it's better than death? I know they are left on death row to give the police a chance to get the evidence etc but as i have said, it's been proving that innocent people still die.

Not only that but i think that if a family member of mine was murdered *touches wood* then i wouldn't feel that the murderer just being killed themselves would make me feel any better and it wouldn't make me feel that justice had been done. However, knowing that they have to live the rest of their pathetic little lives in prision would make me feel a lot better about it. A couple of minutes/seconds/whatever being killed is not suffering for them, it's such an easy way out and that along with some more reasons is why i'm completely against the death penalty being brought back.
Legend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 06:48 PM #36

Quote:
Originally posted by Diablo
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil-Lindz

Do they live a life of hell in a grungy old cell though???
I dont think they do.....
Well i think they should change it
Ive heard some stories that people who are locked up for years can even choose the color of the wall in their cell
Its should be grey and nothing else IMO
Old 19-12-2006, 08:15 PM #37
Z

Z

I think it should be brought back, but only for serial killers who confessed to the crime. Anybody that is without a doubt guilty, too. Not somebody convincted on shaky evidence. For example, Ruth Ellis, plenty of witnesses, she confessed to the crime. Wham, there's your death penalty example - had she been a serial killer. Generally, serial killers can live with what they've done, apparently when Peter Sutcliffe confessed to the murders he committed he only showed emotion about Jayne MacDonald (I think that's her name), who was 16, not a prostitute and was only a short distance away from her home. How can somebody that cold hearted be allowed to live? They are not remorseful, and they've ruined many lives. I doubt people want them alive only to get let out 25+ years later.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 08:19 PM #38

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziola
I think it should be brought back, but only for serial killers who confessed to the crime. Anybody that is without a doubt guilty, too. Not somebody convincted on shaky evidence. For example, Ruth Ellis, plenty of witnesses, she confessed to the crime. Wham, there's your death penalty example - had she been a serial killer. Generally, serial killers can live with what they've done, apparently when Peter Sutcliffe confessed to the murders he committed he only showed emotion about Jayne MacDonald (I think that's her name), who was 16, not a prostitute and was only a short distance away from her home. How can somebody that cold hearted be allowed to live? They are not remorseful, and they've ruined many lives. I doubt people want them alive only to get let out 25+ years later.
you have a good point there, but what you havent taken into account is the events what caused ruth ellis to do what she had did, ruth had suffered domestic violence from many of her relationships
She was driven to the edge, yes she confessed she did it but she was pushed to the edge
I think it shouldn't be bought back after all 2 wrongs dont make a right so killing someone because they killed someone wont make it ok
Well thats what i believe anyway
Old 19-12-2006, 09:52 PM #39

Will executions really prove to be the deterrent that the supporters of capital punishment expect them to be? This is always put forward by the pro-capital punishment lobby as the main benefit from reintroduction. It is unlikely the very worst murderers would be deterred because they are typically psychopaths or of such dubious sanity that they are incapable of rational behaviour (often taking their own lives immediately after the crime, as in the Hungerford and Dunblane massacres) Certain criminals, e.g. drug traffickers, may be deterred because they have a clear option with defined risks but would the person who has a violent argument with their partner give a second thought to what will happen to them when in the heat of the moment they pick up the carving knife?

It isnt really likely that a handful of executions a year would have any real deterrent effect particularly on the people whom society would most like to see deterred , e.g. serial killers, multiple rapist. The serial killers will be found insane and the rapists will use any means to avoid conviction, e.g. intimidation of witnesses, dragging the womens names through the courts and their reputations into the gutter. So we go back to the situation where only "sane" murderers can be executed. So in theory a modern day Ruth Ellis might also be executed because she was sane, whilst Beverley Allitt, who murdered 4 small children, would be reprieved because she has Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy or so she and certain psychiatrists claim.

Again I maintain that I would remain against the death sentence until a way to ensure convictions were "safe" could be established but with everyone interpreting guidelines etc.. differently I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 25-01-2007, 05:44 PM #40

i do totally agree with corkie as there was so many inocent people getting harmed for for nothing and that is an awful thing to go through lol
Ann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 08:34 PM #41

if one innocent person was put to death its one too many.
easypeasy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 10:13 PM #42

Quote:
Originally posted by easypeasy
if one innocent person was put to death its one too many.
Completely agree with you.

I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion but to simply say YES bring it back without a real reason seems a little macabre to me.

I thought that this thread might raise some serious debate and I am sure Tanser thought the same when he opened it, so come on tell us your rationale for saying yes those who are all for it coming back and how do you think it could be implimented safely!
Old 26-01-2007, 03:49 PM #43

I thought this thread would be great for the old debate but seems to have gone unnoticed to a fair few members! Dammit!

I generally still feel a death sentance would be a logical solution for serious offenders, but i do accept the view that killing the offender is as bad as the offender offending. Just like BB for example, everyone moaned about Jade bullying and then the media bullied her in responce, your kinda left thinking, hang on... who's the person in the wrong here.

I do think there should be tougher measures implemented from the root of the problem, for petty crime for example. Have huge fines or huge unpaid hours of work, scare tactics so along way. Like they done with the mobile phone fines while driving, doubled the fine to make people think about there actions beforehand. The same applies for criminals or potential criminals.

It just seems the government are more interested in tying knots with other countries then realising the troubles at home. If the crime rate isn't stopped from increasing then we may aswell move to baghdad! It will be just as dangerous!
Tanser_Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 08:18 PM #44

Not sure we are going to get a good debate going here Tanser - good effort though, I have tried to suggest to people that they give a good reason and try to explain their thoughts but seems to fall on the proverbial deaf ears.

As you opened this as a thread for serious debate I am going to edit it and remove all the pointless posts that are here - hope that helps raise some serious discussion

I dont think that there is a perfect answer to the death penalty question really. Where I am opposed to it based on the thinking I discussed earlier I can see where people might want it brought back. I would want to see a more robust judicial system in place first before it was even up for consideration. Our laws are so strange and often make no sense in that a peadophile can serve lesss time in prison than someone for shop lifting. Not saying stealing is right but surely the sentence should suit the crime!
Old 27-01-2007, 11:18 PM #45

Ahh, sounds a good idea to remove the poop! But when theres such great threads about, i can understand its demise!

I agree, some laws at the moment are pathetic. The fact that there is no room for prisoners at the moment means they can afford to take the risk, knowing they will more then likely be let off the hook! The peados for example let loose because there making cut backs, it's encouraging anti-social behaviour! What if now them peado's reoffend on an innocent girl/boy, who would be to blame? The only people to blame would be the people who should be enforcing the laws!

I was talking to a man from Iraq a few days ago, he was Kurdish and some of the things he told me about what he had to endure during Sadam's rule were disgusting. We are lucky enough to be in a country which has laws and morality, to enforce this would be the clever thing to do, to turn your back on it? Suicide. It's time the bigwigs got there feet out from under the table and do something before it's too late. At least at this stage you can rectify the problems that are arising.
Old 28-01-2007, 05:42 PM #46

BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Old 28-01-2007, 05:53 PM #47

Deffinatly Not!

Death is not the way to deal with something.
Emilee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 07:08 PM #48

Now that other serious debate threads are up.... how about this one!?
Old 31-01-2007, 10:46 PM #49

I think It should come back for exceptional circumstances.

Murder.
Terrorism.
and Rapists.
Razmataz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 10:52 PM #50
Banned

Banned

Absolutely not.

Capital punishment justifies murder.

Absolutely no way a civilised society can move forward with capital punishment. It is moving backwards.
The_Hitman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, bring, capital, debate, punishment, serious