Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-09-2015, 03:28 PM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Baby abandoned in box outside house in Corby...

The baby, believed to be between one and four weeks old, was found by a member of the public who was walking along Ibsen Walk in Corby this morning.

Wrapped in a blue blanket and wearing only a nappy, the girl appears to be in good health and is being looked after at Kettering General Hospital, according to Northamptonshire Police.

Detectives are now appealing for witnesses or anyone with information about the baby, who has dark hair and dark eyes.

They say they urgently need to trace the baby's mother and have concerns for her welfare

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...IW&ocid=LENDHP

...poor baby/poor mum...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 03:29 PM #2

Aww Hope the mother is found.
Old 28-09-2015, 04:37 PM #3

Not poor mum.

I hope the baby is given to loving parents! Poor thing.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 06:27 PM #4

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

This happens all the time.I think hospitals should have 'baby doors' for these situations so atleast the baby is looked after.Imagine if the people at that house were on holiday.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 06:32 PM #5

Whatever happened to 'Sex Education' and basic 'Anatomy and Physiology' lessons? Poor baby.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 06:36 PM #6
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
This happens all the time.I think hospitals should have 'baby doors' for these situations so atleast the baby is looked after.Imagine if the people at that house were on holiday.
Anything to make sure the child is safe is good in my books. Would be a good idea

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 06:40 PM #7

Seems odd that the baby is between one and four weeks old. I think most babies who are abandoned are usually left as soon as they are born. The mother could very possibly have some serious mental health issues. Surely someone would know that she has been caring for a baby and now not?? Has she cared for the baby and can no longer cope? Such a sad situation but am so pleased the baby is safe and well but don't think the mother should be automatically condemned. Hopefully if she is need of medical care/help she will get it.
Old 29-09-2015, 05:59 AM #8
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
Not poor mum.

I hope the baby is given to loving parents! Poor thing.
..I understand your feelings, Ashley...but we don't know the mental health of the mum or any of her circumstances atm...and if it was something like post natal depression, then with help..she could be a fairly terrific mum..and to me, would be the best outcome, both for her and for her child...it may be that she can't be a parent for now as well for whatever reason but there is so much with this that we just don't know...
Old 30-09-2015, 07:22 AM #9
-

-

Postnatal Depression is a huge problem in the western world, our standards of Postnatal care are really awful to be honest so it's not surprising. And then many new parents are isolated with no help from friends / family / the community.

I know that me and my partner had absolutely zero help with either of ours, and our first daughter as a newborn, simply did not sleep. She only slept in someone's arms (and getting her asleep, and keeping her asleep, even then was a military operation). In the end the only way we managed to survive was to accept it and sleep in shifts, so that someone was always awake with her. There was NO other option and sometimes I think, what if that baby was with a single parent? How would they ever sleep? The effects of chronic sleep deprivation can be catastrophic. For example, it is a MAJOR suicide trigger in people who have never even shown suicidal tendencies before.

It's all completely unnatural and add to that low incidence of breastfeeding, it's a time bomb. The reason being that pregnancy and childbirth send hormones completely out of whack, and breastfeeding is a big part of naturally rebalancing those hormones. When it doesn't happen, there's a risk of causing all sorts of imbalances, and to put it in simple terms, hormone imbalances can make people completely bat**** crazy.

So, first and foremost, what we need to do is make sure that people have help and support in those crazy first 3 months or so. Failing that, yeah, I do think there should be some sort of "safe place" where someone could, if it really comes down to it, leave a child completely anonymously without the fear of being stopped or questioned.

As for this baby, the good news is, if the mother isn't traced, healthy newborns have a near 100% adoption rate so the baby will no doubt end up with someone who really wants one.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:39 AM #10
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Postnatal Depression is a huge problem in the western world, our standards of Postnatal care are really awful to be honest so it's not surprising. And then many new parents are isolated with no help from friends / family / the community.

I know that me and my partner had absolutely zero help with either of ours, and our first daughter as a newborn, simply did not sleep. She only slept in someone's arms (and getting her asleep, and keeping her asleep, even then was a military operation). In the end the only way we managed to survive was to accept it and sleep in shifts, so that someone was always awake with her. There was NO other option and sometimes I think, what if that baby was with a single parent? How would they ever sleep? The effects of chronic sleep deprivation can be catastrophic. For example, it is a MAJOR suicide trigger in people who have never even shown suicidal tendencies before.

It's all completely unnatural and add to that low incidence of breastfeeding, it's a time bomb. The reason being that pregnancy and childbirth send hormones completely out of whack, and breastfeeding is a big part of naturally rebalancing those hormones. When it doesn't happen, there's a risk of causing all sorts of imbalances, and to put it in simple terms, hormone imbalances can make people completely bat**** crazy.

So, first and foremost, what we need to do is make sure that people have help and support in those crazy first 3 months or so. Failing that, yeah, I do think there should be some sort of "safe place" where someone could, if it really comes down to it, leave a child completely anonymously without the fear of being stopped or questioned.

As for this baby, the good news is, if the mother isn't traced, healthy newborns have a near 100% adoption rate so the baby will no doubt end up with someone who really wants one.
..I feel your pain with the sleep thing..my eldest son was the worst sleeper ..(probably picking up on our anxieties because we were so tired..)..when he was very young, he had to have movement and rocking, so we took shifts at pacing the floor with him on a shoulder..then that advanced to him in his buggy and talking walks through the nigh..but as soon as you'd get back with him fast asleep and the motion stopped...that little monkey was awake within seconds...he could escape anything as well, he'd jump over his cot rails ...when he got to be in a 'big bed', it was all about the story to get him to sleep, which worked fine until you stopped reading and tried to creep quietly out of his room.....

...but yeah, so isolating if you can't feel for your baby what others seem to ...and some mothers feel that they're the worst parent in the world and 'not natural'...and feel that the baby would be better having someone who could fee what they feel they should be.../lots of things really...I also read someone in the US threw their newborn from a high rise apartment so not giving the child a chance at all but at least this mother did put the baby where she felt care would come...I do hope that she's found and that she gets the care she needs...
Old 30-09-2015, 07:55 AM #11

Yes it was on GMBHD
at least it was safe in the box
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:56 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I understand your feelings, Ashley...but we don't know the mental health of the mum or any of her circumstances atm...and if it was something like post natal depression, then with help..she could be a fairly terrific mum..and to me, would be the best outcome, both for her and for her child...it may be that she can't be a parent for now as well for whatever reason but there is so much with this that we just don't know...

Thats to Complex
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:07 AM #13
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I feel your pain with the sleep thing..my eldest son was the worst sleeper ..(probably picking up on our anxieties because we were so tired..)..when he was very young, he had to have movement and rocking, so we took shifts at pacing the floor with him on a shoulder..
Oh god the rocking... the endless rocking. She also needed "white noise" so we used to rock her in the kitchen with the cooker hood fan on full... and make "shhh shhh shhh shhh" noises at the same time... I think I'm having PTSD thinking about it. When she would finally drift off, we could sit down on the couch, but it was like a stealth mission where any little bump or noise on the way to the couch, or a jolt sitting down, would wake her and it would start all over again.

On the plus side, when she WAS finally asleep, I got through sooo many TV box-sets. Sitting watching BSG for hours at 3am (using headphones, of course) are actually some of my cosiest baby memories too. Bittersweet stuff really!

Oh also my wife was stuck on a waiting list to have a broken wisdom tooth removed for almost 6 weeks at the same time and was in constant agony... I'm actually surprised she DIDN'T go completely insane.

Her sleep was pretty bad up until about 10 months old and then she just started sleeping like a log . Can't get her OUT of her nest in the mornings these days, haha. She does still have a fan on in her room though... we may have set up a life long white noise addiction...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:15 AM #14
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Oh god the rocking... the endless rocking. She also needed "white noise" so we used to rock her in the kitchen with the cooker hood fan on full... and make "shhh shhh shhh shhh" noises at the same time... I think I'm having PTSD thinking about it. When she would finally drift off, we could sit down on the couch, but it was like a stealth mission where any little bump or noise on the way to the couch, or a jolt sitting down, would wake her and it would start all over again.

On the plus side, when she WAS finally asleep, I got through sooo many TV box-sets. Sitting watching BSG for hours at 3am (using headphones, of course) are actually some of my cosiest baby memories too. Bittersweet stuff really!

Oh also my wife was stuck on a waiting list to have a broken wisdom tooth removed for almost 6 weeks at the same time and was in constant agony... I'm actually surprised she DIDN'T go completely insane.

Her sleep was pretty bad up until about 10 months old and then she just started sleeping like a log . Can't get her OUT of her nest in the mornings these days, haha. She does still have a fan on in her room though... we may have set up a life long white noise addiction...
....hahhh yeah, the white noise was a thing as well...the first time he slept through until 5am was in a hurricane, I mean literally...but we couldn't be doing that for him on a regular basis...one thing I can say and maybe/hopefully it'll be the same with your daughter as well...is as a child and now as an adult, he's probably the most chilled person you could ever meet and nothing phases him much...he has a terrific thought process and balance...because he got all of his 'issues' out there as a baby I guess...
Old 30-09-2015, 09:17 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..he is fidgety though ..you know, tapping his leg/type thing...that's how he absorbs information apparently ..through his leg movement...
Old 30-09-2015, 09:24 AM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Completely agree.Sounds alot like our first.Literally hardly any sleep at all.I was scared at times to pick him up because i was so tired i thought i might drop him or make some stupid mistake.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:49 AM #17

So sad.
I hope they find the mum give her the help she needs so that her and her baby can quickly be re-united.
Old 30-09-2015, 11:21 AM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

A friend of mine suffered terribly with post-natal depression. She was really happy-go-lucky, met problems head-on, always cheerful had always wanted to be a mum and everyone just assumed that she'd just take to motherhood like a duck to water. But no... she told me she really wanted, at one point, the throw her daughter out of the window to make the noise stop. She was actually sectioned at one point. She's fine now, even had a second child but everyone kind of knew what to expect this time. Scary...

Totally agree with the "Safe Place" thing.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abandoned, baby, box, corby, house