Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-01-2016, 07:36 PM #1
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Default Rita Ora discusses being a refugee (old interview, but relevant)

I think this interview is quite important in terms of recent politics surrounding refugees or the 'migrant crisis' as it's put by most media.

When you see headlines that only ever address refugees as a burden, and as part of a figure, it is relatively easy for people to become emotionally detached and unsympathetic towards those fleeing war. While Rita's story is one far less emotional than those out there (which you can search for if you'd like to), I thought I would share this in particular because Rita Ora is someone we all recognise as a 'normal british person'. Most people don't even know she was/is a Kosovan refugee. I think that since she is someone we see in music videos and on TV, people would identify with her more. She is a prime example of a muslim refugee who can integrate fully into society, and I have no doubts that 99% of those refugees who came from Syria and neighbouring countries can do the same.

She describes here that the words 'Get out' are hurtful and I think that they probably are, so while people on the internet may doubt the legitimacy of some/most of the refugees, when you post comments saying that we shouldn't let any refugees in.. or that we should kick them all out.. remember that these are actual human beings with actual human emotions.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

Last edited by MTVN; 18-01-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixing YT link
JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:40 PM #2
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I wish she hadnt come

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:08 PM #3
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Some support for the current refugees wouldn't have gone amiss then.
Old 17-01-2016, 08:36 PM #4

Some of the Left Wing are truly confused and insane.

They forever whinge and bleat about the appalling state of the NHS. How it is starved of funds and in danger of total collapse. How there is not enough money to pay enough staff, or to adequately pay the staff we have. How people are dying through lack of proper treatment and lack of facilities.

They forever bleat and wail about the Homeless and the Housing Crisis. Of how people are living on the streets or living in squalid accommodation.

They weep and wail about inadequate benefits for the sick and for those out of work, and how there are not enough jobs, or how people who are in work are being forced to work for low wages.

They IGNORE the fact that for several decades now - those IN WORK, who pay tax and who are funding those not in work, ARE IN A MINORITY - YES, the non-tax payers outnumber the tax payers. Yes - the increasingly few are keeping the increasingly many.

More than any other kind of madness though - despite ALL the above - is the fact that the Left advocate an OPEN DOOR policy of LETTING ONE AND ALL into the UK willy nilly, whilst once again, NEVER putting forward ANY type of proposal of just HOW the UK can AFFORD this insanity, and nor do they EVER answer a question of just HOW we can LET IN ONE AND ALL without EXACERBATING our already severe HOUSING CRISIS, and NHS CRISIS and HOMELESSNESS CRISIS and BENEFITS CRISIS etc etc etc.

So COME ON you LEFT WING - How about answering this?

Last edited by kirklancaster; 17-01-2016 at 08:41 PM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:40 PM #5
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

But How We Do (Party) is a bop Kirk

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:47 PM #6
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi

Banned

Favourites (more):

Close the borders NOW!
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:46 PM #7
-

-

That's some pretty misleading rhetoric there Kirk, only something like 7% of the working age population are unemployed. 90%+ in employment. Yes, fewer than 50% of the population works, but the vast majority of the other 50% are children and the elderly. With most of the children being supported by their parents and a large chunk of the elderly being supported by non-state pension funds and savings and investments.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:18 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That's some pretty misleading rhetoric there Kirk, only something like 7% of the working age population are unemployed. 90%+ in employment. Yes, fewer than 50% of the population works, but the vast majority of the other 50% are children and the elderly. With most of the children being supported by their parents and a large chunk of the elderly being supported by non-state pension funds and savings and investments.
I don't disagree with your points here T.S., but I'm referring to those in actual 'Private' sector employment versus those in the 'Public' sector and those in receipt of benefits, those on any of the plethora of 'Further Education' schemes - bogus or genuine - those in the Military Services, those who work in our NHS, Fire and Police Services , our Education Services, those in Prisons or other 'Penal' institutions etc etc.

Just to be perfectly clear, lest certain people pounce; I am not denigrating ANY of the above people, and I realise that those in the above categories pay tax, but that does not alter the fact that the entire incomes of the above are funded in the first place by taxes paid by those in the Private Sector.

Just the cost of Civil Service Pensions for 2006 - 2007 was Ł128 billion, up by Ł27 billion from the year before and rising year in year out.

Another point, is that I am not addressing any disparity or unfairness in Salaries, Benefits, Wages etc, nor making comment on such - just pointing out that if one REALLY analyses the situation - then they will see that those employed in the Private Sector ARE funding a greater percentage of the populace who are NOT employed in the Private Sector.

Further; my point was only one of several to help illustrate, that BECAUSE of the above facts, and the fact that the AVERAGE ordinary working person in this country has increasingly LESS and LESS disposable income (if any at all) - Just WHERE do those who advocate FREE FOR ALL OPEN DOOR IMMIGRATION think the money to PAY for such charity is going to come from?

This is not a morality question merely an economic one - WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD AN IMMIGRATION 'FREE FOR ALL'.

This country is ailing - and any additional funds necessary for any attempt to merely alleviate the suffering let alone fund a cure, can only be raised by one or more of only FOUR options:

1) Government BORROWING from outside sources.
2) Government 'Cut-Backs' in domestic spending.
3) Higher Direct Taxation.
4) More indirect taxation - 'Stealth' taxes, VAT etc.

I'll leave the last word to Brecht:

“Food comes first and then morality".

Last edited by kirklancaster; 18-01-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:35 AM #9
-

-

I agree that open-door immigration is impossible, anyone who thinks that a world with no borders can work in the 21st century I can only imagine has little to zero concept of just how that would look.

See it's not that I don't think a world like that COULD look better... It's just that we'd need an epic plague first, to knock the global population back to a more reasonable level. Ideally fewer than 0.5 billion humans.

With 7 to 8 billion of us trying to share one little planet, you simply have to accept that some (most) are not going to have a particularly comfortable existence... It's not feasible.

You don't have to LIKE it of course, and that's where I struggle philosophically, and to understand the way so many talk about it. With anger directed AT the people trying to find a better life for themselves. Of course they're going to do that! We all would. We all do, even. They don't owe us anything and, to me, it's perfectly reasonable for them to want a "slice of the pie" for themselves and their families. Which is why I feel empathy for these people. We can't let them all in... But it IS crappy and it IS unfair that we can't.

I guess look at it like the titanic going down. There weren't enough boats. That's the simple maths of it... If they'd let everyone into a boat, they would all have been sunk under the weight, and everyone would have drowned or froze. So, about 1/3 of the people got into the boats, and the rest died. It's not just, right, or fair... It's horrifying... And if you, me or anyone else was one of those people in the water, we'd be desperately trying to get into one of the boats, and not really caring about the risk of pulling it down with us.

And whose fault is it really?

The people in the water? The people in the lifeboats?

NOPE. It's the people who built and controlled the ship that sank.

So you can accept the numbers, you can say that it's just not possible for everyone to be saved, because it's true that it isn't. It would be foolish to try and we'd all go down too. But don't be angry at THEM for trying to save themselves... For not simply lying down and accepting their fate for our benefit. Be sorry that we can't help everyone - and blame the ****ers who built the damn ship.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 18-01-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:43 AM #10

Quote:
I agree that open-door immigration is impossible, anyone who thinks that a world with no borders can work in the 21st century I can only imagine has little to zero concept of just how that would look.

See it's not that I don't think a world like that COULD look better... It's just that we'd need an epic plague first, to knock the global population back to a more reasonable level. Ideally fewer than 0.5 billion humans.

With 7 to 8 billion of us trying to share one little planet, you simply have to accept that some (most) are not going to have a particularly comfortable existence... It's not feasible.

You don't have to LIKE it of course, and that's where I struggle philosophically, and to understand the way so many talk about it. With anger directed AT the people trying to find a better life for themselves. Of course they're going to do that! We all would. We all do, even. They don't owe us anything and, to me, it's perfectly reasonable for them to want a "slice of the pie" for themselves and their families. Which is why I feel empathy for these people. We can't let them all in... But it IS crappy and it IS unfair that we can't.

I guess look at it like the titanic going down. There weren't enough boats. That's the simple maths of it... If they'd let everyone into a boat, they would all have been sunk under the weight, and everyone would have drowned or froze. So, about 1/3 of the people got into the boats, and the rest died. It's not just, right, or fair... It's horrifying... And if you, me or anyone else was one of those people in the water, we'd be desperately trying to get into one of the boats, and not really caring about the risk of pulling it down with us.

And whose fault is it really?

The people in the water? The people in the lifeboats?

NOPE. It's the people who built and controlled the ship that sank.

So you can accept the numbers, you can say that it's just not possible for everyone to be saved, because it's true that it isn't. It would be foolish to try and we'd all go down too. But don't be angry at THEM for trying to save themselves... For not simply lying down and accepting their fate for our benefit. Be sorry that we can't help everyone - and blame the ****ers who built the damn ship.

I love the 'Titanic' analogy (Just wish I'd thought of it )

Old 18-01-2016, 08:47 AM #11
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..can others view that vid...?...sorry it's not showing up for me Josh...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:52 AM #12
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..can others view that vid...?...sorry it's not showing up for me Josh...
Looks like it's been deleted.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:55 AM #13
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Looks like it's been deleted.
...Government control again eh, eh, EH.....

Last edited by Ammi; 18-01-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:05 AM #14

Quote:
Enough with the jokes already - someone might believe you.

Old 18-01-2016, 09:08 AM #15
-

-

Quote:
Well SOMEONE took it down... so... probably.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:21 AM #16
You know my methods

You know my methods

yes she reminds me of a 20 year old bloke economic migrant quite a bit
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:27 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
yes she reminds me of a 20 year old bloke economic migrant quite a bit

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 18-01-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:39 AM #18
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:

you get in touble for images and gifs in SD

Im tellin
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:43 AM #19
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

you get in touble for images and gifs in SD

Im tellin
I won't, Niamh will say it's OK.
Old 18-01-2016, 10:19 AM #20
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Vid should be showing now, it was just that the code had been posted wrongly in the OP (you only need the part of the URL after the '=' sign, not the whole link)
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:46 AM #21

i don't see what rita ora could possibly complain about. Just be grateful you didn't wash up on a beach.

Last edited by lostalex; 18-01-2016 at 10:49 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 01:52 PM #22

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Poor Rita

"We were a middle class family"

"My father purchased SOME pubs"

What about the Syrian Refugees

"I can relate"

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 18-01-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:06 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Poor Rita

"I can relate"
Yeah - The relevancy is astonishing.

Old 18-01-2016, 04:52 PM #24
Banned

Favourites (more):

Banned

Favourites (more):

I have a question because it seems that most videos i see of these helpless immigrants in desperate need are not so desperate afterall.

Q: Why are most of them in designer trainers and chatting on smart phones?
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 05:16 PM #25
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Poor Rita

"I can relate"
Yessss I do get the feeling that her family were well off enough to have gone wherever they wanted in the western world... they just happened to choose the UK and gained permanent status by (to be fair, genuinely) claiming asylum as they couldn't continue to live safely where they had come from. However... I don't think they were bundling their few belongings into a box and abandonning home on foot, to cross the sea on a raft.

So I guess she can relate to how it feels to have to leave your home for political reasons... but, not the actual physical struggle.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discusses, interview, ora, refugee, relevant, rita