Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:15 AM #1
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Default Toddler dies from meningitis because parent refused to get him medical treatment

Poor Kid, I hope these morons are prosecuted

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/03/todd...d-of-medicine/

Toddler died from meningitis after anti-vaxx parents treated him with maple syrup instead of medicine

Two Mormon parents who own a nutritional supplement company are accused of letting their toddler son die from meningitis because they tried to treat him with home remedies instead of medicine.

David and Collet Stephan have pleaded not guilty to charges that they failed to provide the necessities of life to their 19-month-old son Ezekiel, reported CBC News.

Prosecutors in Alberta, Canada, say the couple did not call an ambulance until the boy stopped breathing and instead fed him supplements with an eye dropper and lay down with him.

Collet Stephan, 35, told police that a friend told the couple their son had meningitis — inflammation caused by an infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord.

She said they tried to boost the boy’s immune system by feeding him with olive leaf extract, whey protein, water with maple syrup and juice with frozen berries.

They finally fed the boy, who was becoming stiff and lethargic after two weeks of illness, a mixture of apple cider vinegar, horseradish root, hot peppers, onion, garlic and ginger root.

The child was airlifted to a hospital after he stopped breathing, and doctors removed him from life support after five days.

Prosecutors played recordings during the couple’s trial of Collet Stephan describing their attempt to treat the boy.

The 32-year-old David Stephan and his wife operate Truehope Nutritional Support Inc. from their home in Raymond.

Health Canada unsuccessfully tried in 2004 to stop the company from distributing its supplement Empowerplus, which the couple claims can manage mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder.

The government did issue warnings about the supplement — which prosecutors say the couple gave to their dying son.

Prosecutors told the court the couple loved their son and were not accused of ignoring or killing him, but they said the parents should have sought medical assistance sooner.

David Stephan has said he believes the government is prosecuting the couple to force parents through the courts — instead of through legislation — to vaccinate their children.

He argues that no evidence shows Ezekiel’s death would have been prevented if he had been given the vaccine for Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).

Empowerplus, which is basically a mixture of vitamins and minerals, was developed by Truehope, a company founded by David Stephan’s property manager father, Anthony Stephan, and a salesman friend, David Hardy.

Critics say the Stephan’s claims about the supplement are not backed by reliable scientific testing.

Truehope threatened to sue a mental health writer, Natasha Tracy, who wrote critically of her experience buying and taking the supplement.

David Stephan complains in social media posts that these critics are conspiring to keep them from raising money for their defense though online fundraisers.

If convicted, the couple faces a possible five-year prison term and the loss of their other children.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:23 AM #2
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..so this is something/their 'remedy' that they're manufacturing for others to use as well, then..?...jeez poor little guy, what a slow/painful death, surely...

Last edited by Ammi; 09-03-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 AM #3
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Sick bastards.

Maple syrup is for pancakes, dumbasses.
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:48 AM #4
Banned

Banned

Anti-Vaxxers are stupid beyond belief.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:06 PM #5
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

And to think he could have been saved
Old 09-03-2016, 12:17 PM #6

Yes Shocking and Evil
the must get done for lack of care
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:58 PM #7

Having had meningitis as a child, I understand the unbelievable pain that child was in. I was treated within hours, so I can't imagine how this child managed to endure 2 weeks of that.

My question is, if a friend suspected this child had meningitis, why didn't she call the emergency services.

As for Mormons, if they want to refuse medical treatment for themselves, fine but they shouldn't be allowed to choose for their children. The are guardians, not owners of mini humans.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:04 PM #8
-

-

Why is this being made into a vaccination-issue? The issue is them not seeking appropriate medical attention based on how ill he had become... nothing at all to do with vaccination.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:07 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Why is this being made into a vaccination-issue? The issue is them not seeking appropriate medical attention based on how ill he had become... nothing at all to do with vaccination.
It's everything to do with vaccinations. If the child was vaccinated he wouldn't have got sick in the first place. It still comes down to the parents idiocy.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:09 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Having had meningitis as a child, I understand the unbelievable pain that child was in. I was treated within hours, so I can't imagine how this child managed to endure 2 weeks of that.

My question is, if a friend suspected this child had meningitis, why didn't she call the emergency services.

As for Mormons, if they want to refuse medical treatment for themselves, fine but they shouldn't be allowed to choose for their children. The are guardians, not owners of mini humans.
I don't think they refused vaccinations because they are Mormon, news agencies just love mentioning people's religion so you can come to conclusions like that. I just think they were deluded by their personal thoughts and views on health in general.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:17 PM #11
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
It's everything to do with vaccinations. If the child was vaccinated he wouldn't have got sick in the first place. It still comes down to the parents idiocy.
This is incorrect. There are two types of meningitis; bacterial meningitis and viral meningitis. The type most likely to kill is bacterial meningitis. There is no vaccination for bacterial meningitis (or any other bacterial infection).

Also, vaccination are nowhere near 100% effective, and parents should be aware of this. Ignorace can go the other way, too; parents getting their kids vaccines for serious illness and then assuming that they "can't possibly" have that illness "because they are vaccinated". Not true. Never assume immunity. Especially important to remember with meningitis because of the misconception that a viral meningitis vaccination will protect against the bacterial variety.

THE single most important factor is education and vigilance... therefore, their number one biggest failing was in not realising that he was seriously ill and should have been in hospital.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:13 PM #12
0_o

0_o

Idiots.

about injections..yeah they aren't 100% effective, but they lower the risk of most dangerous illnesses dramatically and as such I really don't understand people who don't get them for their children.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:05 AM #13
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...this is weird actually, I was reading up a lot about Truehope Nutritional Support Inc, which they are part of..?...and Empowerplus, which Health Canada tried to stop from being produced in 2004...there is some really dubious stuff ..it doesn't seem that any research can be proven/completed in terms of their 'remedies' being anything more than placebos because those using it haven't continued long enough...I read lots of comments by those who've tried it for bi-polar/depression etc, some saying it worked for them but most saying that it didn't...and for those who have ordered any/tried it, they're then contacted by the company and asked to basically stop taking any medications that their GPs have prescribed and to 'self-diagnose' ..(with the help of this company online/they'll help them diagnose their issues..?/weird..)...and if it's a child, they ask for the parent's to diagnose, not a GP../basically to cut off all medical contact with trained medical people...

...anyways, with all of the criticism and I think a law suit might be going on against the company..(I'm not entirely certain of that/the law suit...)...and what the article says about Prosecutors played recordings during the couple’s trial of Collet Stephan describing their attempt to treat the boy.
...it makes me wonder, if their treatment of him was all recorded as possible research to show that their products worked as they've been unable to substantiate any of their claims...and nothing to do with their beliefs at all, or to do with any 'ignorance' either..hmmmm, it'll be interesting to follow this...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
I could not agree more, but I would add the word 'Criminal' to the word 'Idiocy'. They should be fecking shot.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
dies, medical, meningitis, parent, refused, toddler, treatment