Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-06-2016, 06:28 AM #1

Default Scots Against Second Independence Referendum

Scots Against Second Independence Referendum Despite Brexit Vote, Poll Shows

The Survation poll showed 44.7 percent of people think Scotland should not conduct a second independence referendum, compared to 41.9 percent in favor of a fresh vote.

Scotland starts drive to remain in EU, to prepare for possible independence vote
To stay in EU, Scotland will veto Brexit or leave U.K., minister says
Brexit vote causes alarm abroad as ripples spread
REUTERS - The Scots do not think there should be a second independence referendum, a poll showed on Sunday, days after Britain voted to leave the European Union despite strong Scottish support for remaining a member of the bloc.
The Survation poll showed 44.7 percent of people think Scotland should not conduct a second independence referendum, compared to 41.9 percent in favor of a fresh vote. In September 2014 Scotland rejected independence by 55 percent to 45 percent.

The prospect of a second referendum has been raised after Britain as a whole voted to leave the EU last week, despite results showing a large majority of Scots supported remaining within the bloc in every region of Scotland.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said another referendum is "highly likely" and that Scotland would do whatever it takes to remain in the EU, including potentially blocking the legal process behind Britain's exit.
The poll of 1,002 people, conducted for the Daily Record and Daily Mirror on June 25, also showed that despite not favoring holding another referendum, if one were to be held immediately Scots would back a breakaway from the rest of Britain. Survation said 47 percent were in favor and 41.2 percent against.
Boris Johnson, the favorite to become Britain's next prime minister, said on Sunday that he did not detect "any real appetite" for another Scottish independence referendum.*

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/eu...onthlypromoted

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 06:49 AM #2
Sod orf

Sod orf

They should have a referendum, and if the Scottish people vote to be an independent Country, then that's what should happen.

If they want to remain then they're very welcome.

It's for the people of Scotland to decide their futures.

The same with Northern Ireland, and even Wales if they wanted one, although I'd be more happy to keep Wales after they voted the same way as England.

A question for Scottish members

If you went Independence, would you want to keep The Queen/future Kings' as your head of state like Canada, Australia and New Zealand or would you prefer a Republic?
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 07:09 AM #3
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

A 1,000 person poll is not conclusive

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 07:18 AM #4

No poll ever is, and increasingly, a lot of polls get it wrong, but it is a poll Reece and I merely reproduced the article.

Old 30-06-2016, 07:56 AM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Why oh why does anyone honestly still have any faith whatsoever in polling, they get so much wrong they are a sideshow, a joke, nothing of any value at all now.

A poll came out last week that said 59% of Scots now would vote for independence and now even this poll does not give a clear answer anyway as to being in favour or not,, it has over 44% against and near 42% for.

Almost a 14% shortfall to make up the 100%

Inconclusive only,is what this poll is at best,that is just about all you can say about it.
I myself will not put any faith in any polling now, whether that is for general elections or referenda.

They get far too much wrong to be reliable and in fact, in my view,until they get things really right, they should be more controlled because they actually in my opinion mislead the public too, being so wrong as they have been for years now..
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:09 AM #6
-

-

To be honest I don't think this is the same as saying that they definitely wouldn't vote out if there was one... The reason so many people don't even want there to be one is simply that we're tired and have had enough. We've been to the polls for major things three times in a year. A lot left disheartened by the result last summer although fair enough, it was representative of the will of the people. Then you have the GE - Scotland overwhelmingly did not vote Tory. We got Tories anyway. Scotland overwhelmingly did not vote for Brexit. We got Brexit anyway.

I don't see much faith in voting up here at the moment... It feels like a charade.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:38 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be honest I don't think this is the same as saying that they definitely wouldn't vote out if there was one... The reason so many people don't even want there to be one is simply that we're tired and have had enough. We've been to the polls for major things three times in a year. A lot left disheartened by the result last summer although fair enough, it was representative of the will of the people. Then you have the GE - Scotland overwhelmingly did not vote Tory. We got Tories anyway. Scotland overwhelmingly did not vote for Brexit. We got Brexit anyway.

I don't see much faith in voting up here at the moment... It feels like a charade.
We have a lot in common T.S. - I did not vote Tory - and I am pig sick of Elections and Referendums.

I was grousing that I did not like erections to a Japanese associate and he looked puzzled then asked me "Why? Don't you like shagging?"

Last edited by kirklancaster; 30-06-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 30-06-2016, 09:46 AM #8
You know my methods

You know my methods

pretty much what TS said
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:52 AM #9
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Good post and it annoys me when the UK parliament thinks it can just dismiss all that Scotland votes for too.
We have not really a UK parliament at all, it is an English one,the rest of the UK only matters when it agrees with England in the main.

Not the majority of English people but a strong and good number of the English MPs,particularly the farther South they come from.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:05 AM #10
-

-

I think full indy is sadly broken now. I don't think it necessarily works at all after all of this. My opinion now is that the UK has probably seriously damaged itself, and actually, damaged the rest of Europe too. We've all been looking inwards a lot, there hasn't been much discussion of the effect that Brexit will have on the EU with one of the major pillars removed.

However you are totally right about the power imbalance as you shift southwards. My best case scenario, assuming Brexit does indeed follow through, is a "devo-max" solution for Scotland as part of the UK. Keep the union intact but fully devolve domestic decisions to Edinburgh.

I'd go even further and say that this might be the best solution for England, too: to be divided into three or four regions with similar devolved powers. London still "steering the ship" so to speak on the world stage (if we're even still relevant in 10 years time...) and devolved regional governments governing for the interests of the people of that region.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-06-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:07 AM #11
-

-

"The United States of Britain" we could call it
Old 30-06-2016, 10:24 AM #12
Banned

Banned

I hope they get another Referendum. The Brexit has shown that, when it comes down to it, England will always have the final say.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM #13
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I hope they get another Referendum. The Brexit has shown that, when it comes down to it, England will always have the final say.
That is what annoys me about this referendum, there are 4 supposed equal status Nations of the UK yet it is only the fact of the higher populated England that has decided this result.

So as you say England gets the final say, really it was a waste of time the Scots and Irish voting here.
It may as well have been lets just see what England thinks.
The Scots, Irish and Welsh votes combined, had a double figure percentage to 'remain'.
It was only England that totally changed that scenario form its higher populated base.

So the majorities Scotland and N Ireland registered became meaningless.
That is not a United kingdom of any standard in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 AM #14
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
That is what annoys me about this referendum, there are 4 supposed equal status Nations of the UK yet it is only the fact of the higher populated England that has decided this result.

So as you say England gets the final say, really it was a waste of time the Scots and Irish voting here.
It may as well have been lets just see what England thinks.
The Scots, Irish and Welsh votes combined, had a double figure percentage to 'remain'.
It was only England that totally changed that scenario form its higher populated base.

So the majorities Scotland and N Ireland registered became meaningless.
That is not a United kingdom of any standard in my opinion.
Joey, I understand your point, but in this instance Scotland is a part of the UK, not a separate country. They voted last year to be a part of the UK. Their region voted to remain, but so did London, but the combined other regions outweighed their stance.

Scotland, as part of the UK has representation that reflects its relative population. Its only when you give it labels of a separate country that these objections can be raised. The referendum was UK, not Scotland, Wales, England and Ireland
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 AM #15
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Joey, I understand your point, but in this instance Scotland is a part of the UK, not a separate country. They voted last year to be a part of the UK. Their region voted to remain, but so did London, but the combined other regions outweighed their stance.

Scotland, as part of the UK has representation that reflects its relative population. Its only when you give it labels of a separate country that these objections can be raised. The referendum was UK, not Scotland, Wales, England and Ireland
They voted in 2014 to remain a part of the UK partly also because they also were told that was the best way they could also protect their EU membership.

Since that is not the case now,that referendum is made void by the false guarantee.

David Cameron never expected to hold a EU referendum,never over the previous 2 years before the election did it look like any party could get an overall majority in May of 2015 and that was the case right until polling day.

No referendum was expected, David Cameron stipulated that he would only hold an 'in' 'out' referendum on the EU, IF the Conservatives got an overall majority.

The Scots were played again and now their concerns,vote and decision on the EU referendum should be dismissed only because of the might of England.
So a promise to the Scots can be broken as long as it is England that gets all its own way.

No way, that is not democracy,not in my book.

Maybe I see this differently because I am English by birth and lived in the West Midlands until I was 18,I am also of full Irish ancestry on my Mother's side and full Scottish ancestry on my Father's.

So what is now being said as to any UK wide referendum,immaterial of how the Nations vote,if it is different from the majority of England, and just because England is higher populated, they always have to accept losing.
Despite any previous promises or guarantees.

That then makes any UK wide referendum on anything pointless in my book.

Last edited by joeysteele; 01-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 AM #16

"Why oh why does anyone honestly still have any faith whatsoever in polling, they get so much wrong they are a sideshow, a joke, nothing of any value at all now."

Bang On Right Joey
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM #17
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:

Maybe I see this differently because I am English by birth and lived in the West Midlands until I was 18,I am also of full Irish ancestry on my Mother's side and full Scottish ancestry on my Father's.
As I was born and raised in Scotland, no-one is more Scottish than me, but what we have from Nicola is a point of view born from her and her parties need for Scotland to be independent. She isn't capable of thinking of Scotland as a part of the UK, it always about Scotland as a separate entity.

The whole premise of the UK is that decisions are taken as a whole for the UK, not for its individual parts
Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 AM #18
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
As I was born and raised in Scotland, no-one is more Scottish than me, but what we have from Nicola is a point of view born from her and her parties need for Scotland to be independent. She isn't capable of thinking of Scotland as a part of the UK, it always about Scotland as a separate entity.
Maybe so but this is made quite clear as being the intentions of the SNP and was in big, bold letters in all of their election campaign material. They were democratically elected at the last GE and Scottish Parliament elections to represent Scotland both in the country, and in Westminster, with voters perfectly aware of this. By considering Scotland as a separate entity - whether that is within the UK or not - She is therefore doing exactly what she was democratically elected to do.

Quote:
The whole premise of the UK is that decisions are taken as a whole for the UK, not for its individual parts
It is but when a system clearly isn't working particularly fairly, the automatic reaction shouldn't be to throw up one hands and say "oh well, it is what it is". Questioning the system is perfectly valid, AND perfectly democratic.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 01-07-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 AM #19

Quote:
They voted in 2014 to remain a part of the UK partly also because they also were told that was the best way they could also protect their EU membership.

Since that is not the case now,that referendum is made void by the false guarantee.

David Cameron never expected to hold a EU referendum,never over the previous 2 years before the election did it look like any party could get an overall majority in May of 2015 and that was the case right until polling day.

No referendum was expected, David Cameron stipulated that he would only hold an 'in' 'out' referendum on the EU, IF the Conservatives got an overall majority.

The Scots were played again and now their concerns,vote and decision on the EU referendum should be dismissed only because of the might of England.
So a promise to the Scots can be broken as long as it is England that gets all its own way.

No way, that is not democracy,not in my book.

So what is now being said as to any UK wide referendum,immaterial of how the Nations vote,if it is different from the majority of England, and just because England is higher populated, they always have to accept losing.
Despite any previous promises or guarantees.

That then makes any UK wide referendum on anything pointless in my book.
With respect Joey - In the time that I have been a forum member, I have seen you crusading for many causes and railing against others, but DEMOCRACY and Scotland being part of the United Kingdom, has not been one of them - until the result of the DEMOCRATIC result of the 'UK EU Referendum' went against your personal preferrance.

As BOTS rightly says - Scotland voted to remain in the UK and all this bally-hoo now is laughable.

Wasn't it the United Kingdom and not Scotland who was accepted into the EU by the EU? and did not Scotland ENTER the EU as PART of The United Kingdom, and not in her own right as a Country?

Then it is only right and fitting that Scotland leave the EU as part of The United Kingdom'.

Bleating now about 'Election' being 'Undemocratic' because.... is just ludicrous and tiresome.

The UK has a job to do now that we are finally free of the corrupt failed and failing EU, and this complaining is draining and deflective.

If Scotland REALLY do want to leave the UK, then let them hold a referendum, and if the result is to part from us, then they should be allowed to part.

If Scotland then want to join the EU, then that is a matter for Sturgeon and Salmond and any other 'fishy sounding' Scottish politicians.

Our Democracy is not perfect, but there is nothing better to replace it, and every free country in the world has followed our lead.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 AM #20
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
With respect Joey - In the time that I have been a forum member, I have seen you crusading for many causes and railing against others, but DEMOCRACY and Scotland being part of the United Kingdom, has not been one of them - until the result of the DEMOCRATIC result of the 'UK EU Referendum' went against your personal preferrance.

As BOTS rightly says - Scotland voted to remain in the UK and all this bally-hoo now is laughable.

Wasn't it the United Kingdom and not Scotland who was accepted into the EU by the EU? and did not Scotland ENTER the EU as PART of The United Kingdom, and not in her own right as a Country?

Then it is only right and fitting that Scotland leave the EU as part of The United Kingdom'.

Bleating now about 'Election' being 'Undemocratic' because.... is just ludicrous and tiresome.

The UK has a job to do now that we are finally free of the corrupt failed and failing EU, and this complaining is draining and deflective.

If Scotland REALLY do want to leave the UK, then let them hold a referendum, and if the result is to part from us, then they should be allowed to part.

If Scotland then want to join the EU, then that is a matter for Sturgeon and Salmond and any other 'fishy sounding' Scottish politicians.

Our Democracy is not perfect, but there is nothing better to replace it, and every free country in the world has followed our lead.
The Scottish referendum result was a sham and truly undemocratic - it was swung entirely based on what have conclusively been proven to be outright lies. The whole thing is foul.

And this is not based on me wanting to force any change its purely an account of what DID happen. I at this point happen to agree that Scottish independence hopes are currently dead in the water and it would be a major mistake to pursue independence with Europe as it currently is. For better or worse, we're with the UK going forward and need to make the best of that. I personally would not pursue Scottish independence again, UNLESS the EU dissolves entirely, at which point it would be worth looking at again. So very unlikely to be in my lifetime, I've come to accept.

That said, I do think Scotland should be heavily pursuing devo-max controls over taxation and spending.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 AM #21
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The Scottish referendum result was a sham and truly undemocratic - it was swung entirely based on what have conclusively been proven to be outright lies. The whole thing is foul.

And this is not based on me wanting to force any change its purely an account of what DID happen. I at this point happen to agree that Scottish independence hopes are currently dead in the water and it would be a major mistake to pursue independence with Europe as it currently is. For better or worse, we're with the UK going forward and need to make the best of that. I personally would not pursue Scottish independence again, UNLESS the EU dissolves entirely, at which point it would be worth looking at again. So very unlikely to be in my lifetime, I've come to accept.

That said, I do think Scotland should be heavily pursuing devo-max controls over taxation and spending.
It seems the establishment of 'only' England can promise Scotland anything to make it fall in line but then when it suits England,any promise can be betrayed.

That is a great advert for England I am sure, its word means nothing.

Scotland did join the EU as part of the UK, that is the point, Scotland still wants to be in the EU and voted heavily to be so.
It was promised if it stayed in the UK in 2014, that its EU position would be secure.

Now let us imagine the outcry here in this scenario, had Scotland promised they will stay in the UK on that promise,then we had the EU referendum and say the UK had voted to stay but Scotland then again called for an Independence vote.
The tune would change massively and from the English govt particularly the Scots govt would rightly be getting hammered left right and centre.

Clearly England's word is meaningless and its promises from its govt worthless, that is really the only point here.

I am absolutely fed up of English MPs and some of England's citizenship riding through any concerns and the will of the other Nations of the UK.
The point here is Nicola sturgeon has to do all she can to keep Scotland in the EU, from her much larger mandate to do so, than any mandate the UK govt has.

It stuns me that all we are hearing from Westminster is the overall result and totally discounting that 2 Nations, 50% of the Countries in the UK,voted to remain by double figure majorities.

I say again,UK wide referenda are pointless if it all only has to go England's way no matter what the other Nations say.
If I lived in Scotland and had a vote, I'd support Nicola's efforts here and I would vote for independence too now after so many broken promises to Scotland,it being taken for granted and its will ignored for decades.

Last edited by joeysteele; 01-07-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM #22
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

When is it going to be England's turn to say whether we want Scotland to remain or not? Or are we going to go through this nonsense every year until Sturgeon gets the result she wants?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 AM #23
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

Elections are always undemocratic if you don't get the result you expect.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM #24
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

lets also consider the nature of how Scotland ended up in the EU in the first place. It was dragged in to the EU as a result of a UK decision to do so, not a Scottish decision. Right back 40 years ago when we first joined, if Scotland had been given the individual choice to join, it would have told the UK to **** right off then
Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM #25

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
It seems the establishment of 'only' England can promise Scotland anything to make it fall in line but then when it suits England,any promise can be betrayed.

That is a great advert for England I am sure, its word means nothing.

Scotland did join the EU as part of the UK, that is the point, Scotland still wants to be in the EU and voted heavily to be so.
It was promised if it stayed in the UK in 2014, that its EU position would be secure.

Now let us imagine the outcry here in this scenario, had Scotland promised they will stay in the UK on that promise,then we had the EU referendum and say the UK had voted to stay but Scotland then again called for an Independence vote.
The tune would change massively and from the English govt particularly the Scots govt would rightly be getting hammered left right and centre.

Clearly England's word is meaningless and its promises from its govt worthless, that is really the only point here.

I am absolutely fed up of English MPs and some of England's citizenship riding through any concerns and the will of the other Nations of the UK.
The point here is Nicola sturgeon has to do all she can to keep Scotland in the EU, from her much larger mandate to do so, than any mandate the UK govt has.

It stuns me that all we are hearing from Westminster is the overall result and totally discounting that 2 Nations, 50% of the Countries in the UK,voted to remain by double figure majorities.

I say again,UK wide referenda are pointless if it all only has to go England's way no matter what the other Nations say.
If I lived in Scotland and had a vote, I'd support Nicola's efforts here and I would vote for independence too now after so many broken promises to Scotland,it being taken for granted and its will ignored for decades.
But wasn't the SNP's campaign run very largely on the premise that Scotland could live off North Sea Oil? The oil prices have now tanked so how would an independent Scotland finance itself? You are shouting up for a cause that just doesn't have any substance in the current climate. Even Sturgeon knows this is why she is couching her language in such a cagey way and isn't screaming for an immediate referendum.

I find your bitterness over the referendum a bit sad Joey. I hope you can find peace with it over time. Part of being in a democracy is accepting that the will of the people doesn't always go your way. But we are all very lucky to live in a democracy where we can express our views and have a say. China isn't even allowed to read the internet outside of it's own country.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 01-07-2016 at 11:56 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
independence, referendum, scots