Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-07-2016, 08:14 PM #1

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

Favourites (more):

Default Florida policeman shoots autistic man's unarmed black therapist in Miami

I know there's many threads on issues like this but it's so important and STILL happening and we need to talk about it

A Florida policeman shot and wounded an autistic man's unarmed black therapist on Monday, local media reports.

Charles Kinsey, who works with people with disabilities, told WSVN television he was helping a patient who had wandered away from a facility.

Mobile phone video shows Mr Kinsey lying down with his hands in the air, and his patient sitting in the road with a toy truck.
Old 21-07-2016, 08:20 PM #2
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Florida police shoot black man lying down with arms in air
Quote:
While lying on his back in the street with his arms in the air, Charles Kinsey told police that he was a behavioral therapist caring for the autistic patient who sat next to him. Despite this, Kinsey left the scene with a police-inflicted gunshot wound to the leg.

Footage released late on Wednesday by Kinsey’s lawyer, shows Kinsey, an unarmed black man, on his back while his patient plays with a toy truck in the moments before an officer opened fire, wounding Kinsey in the leg. The shooting was yet another incident which exposed the fault lines between police and communities of color in the US.

That tension, which was brought to the fore after Missouri police fatally shot the unarmed, black 18-year-old Michael Brown in August 2014, has again been exacerbated by the high-profile police killings of black men earlier this month and the fatal shootings of police officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge that followed.

Monday’s shooting in North Miami inspired outrage three days later with the release of the cellphone video footage, which does not show the moment when the officer fired three shots towards Kinsey and his patient. The name of the patient has not been released and it is unclear why the two men were in the street.

Kinsey can be heard on the video telling police that the only thing the patient has in his hands is the toy. “A toy truck,” Kinsey told the officers. “I am a behavior therapist at the group home. That’s all it is.”

A few seconds later, the camera swerves to show an officer hiding behind a pole with his gun raised, but footage of the actual shooting has not been released. The video also shows both men on the ground surrounded by officers.

North Miami police said they responded to the scene on Monday after receiving a 911 call about an armed man threatening to shoot himself.

Department spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said in a statement that “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism … At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon”.

The officer who fired the weapon has not been named and has been placed on administrative leave in keeping with standard protocol.

The Miami-Dade state attorney’s office has opened an investigation into the shooting in conjunction with the Florida department of law enforcement.

Neither Kinsey nor the patient were found to have a weapon.

Kinsey’s lawyer, Hilton Napoleon, released the video on Wednesday night and said he was negotiating a possible settlement with the city.

“They realize this was something inappropriate regarding the shooting,” Napoleon told the Miami Herald. He said that if police departments admitted their fault in incidents like this more often, “it would probably go a long way” toward improving relations with the public.

Kinsey, who was not seriously wounded and was expected to go home on Thursday, told local news station WSVN that he asked the officer why he shot at him. Kinsey said: “His words were, ‘I don’t know.’”

“I was really more worried about him [the patient] more than myself because … once I’ve got my hands up they’re not going to shoot me, this is what I’m thinking, they’re not going to shoot me,” Kinsey said. “Wow, was I wrong.”

Clint Bower, who runs the group home where Kinsey has worked for more than a year, told Local 10 News that the man Kinsey was caring for is nonverbal and has “relatively low function”.

The incident has further outraged a country torn by a rash of violence between police and the public. Eight police officers were killed in July in Dallas and Baton Rouge after the police shootings of two black men were captured on camera earlier this month.

Just over a week before three officers were killed in Baton Rouge on Sunday, Barack Obama responded to questions about police and race in a town hall meeting. The president offered support to protesters and police, trying to be conciliatory while facing questions from law enforcement and the relatives of those who had been killed by police officers.

“What is true for a lot of African American men is there’s a greater presumption of dangerousness that arises from the social and cultural perceptions that have been fed to folks for a long time,” Obama said, then adding, “but black folks and Latino folks also carry some assumptions. You may see a police officer who’s doing everything right, and you already assumed the worst rather than the best in him, and we have to guard against that as well.”
The Guardian

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by GiRTh; 21-07-2016 at 08:36 PM.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 10:36 PM #3
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Take that trigger happy cops gun, back to basic training for him.
Old 21-07-2016, 11:23 PM #4
You know my methods

You know my methods

It was accidentally shot it seems but lets wait until the police speak on this

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 22-07-2016 at 12:53 PM.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 06:27 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..this is odd, how they have most of it on video but not the actually shooting in his leg..?...just to know, what seemed to prompt that../whether Rinaldo had his toy truck in front of his leg at the time..?...they were obviously not shooting to kill, which is a good thing but seemed to have time for thought and to assess etc the situation so why shoot at all..?.../all quite odd...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 07:27 AM #6
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

omg horrible news
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 12:30 PM #7
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

It's just too much.

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 22-07-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 12:53 PM #8
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..this is odd, how they have most of it on video but not the actually shooting in his leg..?...just to know, what seemed to prompt that../whether Rinaldo had his toy truck in front of his leg at the time..?...they were obviously not shooting to kill, which is a good thing but seemed to have time for thought and to assess etc the situation so why shoot at all..?.../all quite odd...
It is Ammi that is why it is essential to always get both sides of the story before attempting top pass judgement.

Otherwise we just have hysteria, mob justice and shootings from nutjobs as we have had

Trying to pass a judgement on a suspiciously edited video clip is no doubt easy to do but anyone with any sense would say "lets wait till we have all the facts "

The Riots in London started with this type of mob justice hysteria
Old 22-07-2016, 01:46 PM #9
You know my methods

You know my methods

Police were responding to a call about a possible suicidal man with a gun.

The unidentified officer, described as a 30-year-old Hispanic, was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation. He could face charges depending on the outcome.

"I took this job to save lives and help people," the officer said in a statement Thursday released by the union. "I did what I had to do in a split second to accomplish that and hate to hear others paint me as something I'm not."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...nsey-i-n614766
Old 22-07-2016, 01:48 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Take that trigger happy cops gun, back to basic training for him.
Yeah.He obvs shouldn't be carrying a weapon.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 02:42 PM #11
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

When the victim asked why he shot the cop replied "I don't know"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.nbc...client=safari#

If an officer will shoot an unarmed man laying on the ground explaining the situation while the patient is there chewing on what's obviously a truck then he should not be in this profession. Also after the victim was shot he was left on the floor for 20 mins. Why? The person that falsely accused them of being suicidal and carrying a weapon should also be investigated. If they wanted to arrest hi for god sake he was laying on the ground, complying, why shoot.

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 22-07-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 03:04 PM #12
-

-

Jesus ****ing christ at their excuse anyway.

"The officer wasn't aiming at him, he thought he was in danger and was shooting to try to save him"

So... not only did he bunglingly shoot the wrong person... the person he was TRYING to shoot was a vulnerable autistic young man who was posing absolutely no threat to anyone. Well that's much better! If only he had been a better shot... then he would only have killed an innocent disabled person.

And who cares about those, right? If there's one thing worse than an ethnic monority, its the disabled.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 22-07-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 03:09 PM #13
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Jesus ****ing christ at their excuse anyway.

"The officer wasn't aiming at him, he thought he was in danger and was shooting to try to save him"

So... not only did he bunglingly shoot the wrong person... the person he was TRYING to shoot was a vulnerable autistic young man who was posing absolutely no threat to anyone. Well that's much better! If only he had been a better shot... then he would only have killed an innocent disabled person.

And who cares about those, right? If there's one thing worse than an ethnic monority, its the disabled.
True, as black humour goes it's hilarious, as real actual events go...it's terrifying.
Old 22-07-2016, 03:35 PM #14
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithinkiloveyoutoo View Post
When the victim asked why he shot the cop replied "I don't know"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.nbc...client=safari#

If an officer will shoot an unarmed man laying on the ground explaining the situation while the patient is there chewing on what's obviously a truck then he should not be in this profession. Also after the victim was shot he was left on the floor for 20 mins. Why? The person that falsely accused them of being suicidal and carrying a weapon should also be investigated. If they wanted to arrest hi for god sake he was laying on the ground, complying, why shoot.
Have you ever been in a life or death situation before with guns?
Old 22-07-2016, 03:39 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

" i did what I had to do"
No? Literally anyone who has shot anyone ever could use that excuse then, because they had a gun causing them not to think straight
Old 22-07-2016, 03:56 PM #16
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Have you ever been in a life or death situation before with guns?
There was no life or death situation... only the officer was armed remember.
Old 22-07-2016, 03:57 PM #17
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default The Numbers Are In: Black Lives Matter Is Wrong about Police

In response to the allegations of Black Lives Matter activists, the Washington Post launched an unprecedented, case-by-case study of police shootings. After a year of research, the data are in, and they confirm the conservative position: The police use force mainly to protect human life, the use of force against unarmed suspects is rare, and the use of force against black Americans is largely proportional to their share of the violent crime rate.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...lice-shootings

Evidence rather than hysteria + agenda

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 22-07-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 22-07-2016, 04:02 PM #18
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

You do realise that official statistics are always shrouded in detractions don't you LT? Accepting them at face value is just as bad as accepting video footage you so often denounce
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 04:06 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Even if those stats are right, it still confirms police kill innocent unarmed people even if it is rarely

It's not rare enough and should never happen especially in a case like this where he was clearly unarmed and was lying on the ground

People are just filled with Racism it's disgusting.
Old 22-07-2016, 04:16 PM #20
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
You do realise that official statistics are always shrouded in detractions don't you LT? Accepting them at face value is just as bad as accepting video footage you so often denounce
Yes Jack because watching a youtube video as you sit in your room itching your arse is exactly the same as an unprecedented, case-by-case study of police shootings. After a year of research.

Old 22-07-2016, 04:18 PM #21
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis111 View Post
Even if those stats are right, it still confirms police kill innocent unarmed people even if it is rarely

It's not rare enough and should never happen especially in a case like this where he was clearly unarmed and was lying on the ground

and there ^^^^^^ ladies and gentleman we get to the root of the problem

/thread
Old 22-07-2016, 04:23 PM #22
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
and there ^^^^^^ ladies and gentleman we get to the root of the problem

/thread
Yes, you get all your 'stats' from newspaper articles, that's the root of the problem.
Old 22-07-2016, 04:23 PM #23
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis111 View Post

Yes and yes to Jack.
Old 22-07-2016, 04:38 PM #24
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes Jack because watching a youtube video as you sit in your room itching your arse is exactly the same as an unprecedented, case-by-case study of police shootings. After a year of research.

Official statistics are always riddled in intricacies and variables like under reporting, lying on surveys, consistent boundary changing by the researchers which has a knock-on effect on the results, prejudices from the researchers meaning certain areas and people are overanalysed thus skewing the data, etc etc etc. They have just as many problems. But you know this already
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 04:40 PM #25
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

This is what I read from Miami local news yesterday...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e90905442.html

Quote:

When a 23-year-old autistic man carrying a toy truck wandered from a mental health center out into the street Monday, a worker there named Charles Kinsey went to retrieve him.

A few minutes later the autistic man was still sitting cross-legged blocking the roadway while playing with the small, rectangular white toy. And Kinsey was prone on the ground next to him — a bullet from an assault rifle fired by a police officer having struck his leg.

“He throws his hands up in the air and says, ‘Don’t shoot me.’ They say lie on the ground, so he does,” Kinsey’s attorney Hilton Napoleon said Wednesday. “He’s on his back with his hands in the air trying to convince the other guy to lie down. It doesn’t make any sense.”
Recent incidents reignite debate on police shooting into moving vehicles

Cellphone video footage obtained by Napoleon clearly shows the heavy-set autistic man sitting and playing with his toy while Kinsey, dressed in a yellow shirt and shorts, obeys police orders to lie down on his back.

The video, taken before the officer fired his weapon, shows Kinsey on his back with his hands in the air telling police he didn’t have a weapon and asking them not to fire. At one point the autistic man appears to yell at Kinsey to shut up. A second brief video shows officers who are carrying rifles physically patting down Kinsey and the autistic man while they are lying on the ground.
2 teens shot by police say they didn’t know SUV was stolen

In an interview with WSVN-Channel 7, Kinsey said that after he was shot, officers approached and flipped him over and handcuffed him.

“Sir, there’s no need for firearms,” Kinsey told the news station he said to police before he was shot. “It was so surprising. It was like a mosquito bite.”
NW Miami-Dade man killed by police after he reaches for weapon, cops say

Kinsey said when he asked the officer why he fired his weapon, the cop responded, “I don’t know.”

By Wednesday, North Miami police hadn’t offered much of an explanation. Assistant Police Chief Neal Cuevas said the investigation has been turned over to the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

Cuevas said officers received a 911 call indicating a man was in the street with a gun threatening to kill himself. They responded to Northeast 127th Street and about 14th Avenue and began barking orders. When the autistic man didn’t comply, an officer fired three times, striking Kinsey once in the leg. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Amid a series of police-involved shootings in Miami-Dade, a search for patterns

Cuevas said he didn’t know who the officer was aiming at when he struck Kinsey. The offier’s name hasn’t been released.

In a prepared statement, North Miami police spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism... At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon.”

Police still hadn’t released any paperwork or the incident report of the shooting by Wednesday. There is no indication that a weapon of any kind was found. The officer who fired his weapon has been placed on administrative leave, as is standard, for at least a week.
Cops from six agencies shoot, kill 14 in Miami-Dade last year

Kinsey, 47, who’s worked at MacTown Panther Group Homes for a little over a year, wasn’t badly injured and is expected to be home by Thursday.

By Wednesday, Napoleon said he was already negotiating a possible settlement with the city of North Miami.

“They realize this was something inappropriate regarding the shooting,” he said. “If police departments come out more and admit fault, that would probably go a long way,” toward improving relations with the public, he said.

The incident highlights how explosive a situation can get when cops already on edge are forced to confront someone with autism or a mental disability.

In dealing with the mentally ill, experts say, those dangers only multiply.

“I was more worried about him than myself,” Kinsey told Channel 7 of the autistic man, whose name hasn’t been released.

Said his wife Joyce Kinsey: “I’m just grateful he’s alive and able to tell his story.”

Last edited by Maru; 22-07-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
autistic, black, florida, man, miami, policeman, shoots, therapist, unarmed