Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:37 PM #1

Default Samsung Halts Galaxy Note 7 Sales After Battery Explosions

Not good for such a giant.

http://news.sky.com/story/samsung-ha...sions-10562253

Batterys
need to be tested more - before production starts

Last edited by arista; 02-09-2016 at 01:39 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM #2
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Oh I think my step son got one of those just recently for his birthday

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:11 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Oh I think my step son got one of those just recently for his birthday

Make Sure he takes it back
it not safe to have

All the New 7 Phones are on recall

Update
Samsung now say take it back
about 2 week wait.
Then replaced battery

Thats 2 weeks with no top notch phone?

Last edited by arista; 02-09-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM #4
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Not good for such a giant.

http://news.sky.com/story/samsung-ha...sions-10562253

Batterys
need to be tested more - before production starts

Not good at all arista I agree.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:46 AM #5
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Samsung isn't the first to have exploding battery issues and won't be the last. It's just the price of convenience and making things very small and in mass numbers... energy production in general is always inherently going to carry some sort of risk.

Doesn't mean the recall won't hit them hard in the pocketbook though. Even if the affected lot of phones is limited.

BU-304a: Safety Concerns with Li-ion
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ns_with_li_ion

Quote:
Learn what causes Li-ion to fail and what to do in case of fire.

Safety of lithium-based batteries has attracted much media and legal attention. Any energy storage device carries a risk, as demonstrated in the 1800s when steam engines exploded and people got hurt. Carrying highly flammable gasoline in cars was a hot topic in the early 1900s. All batteries carry a safety risk, and battery makers are obligated to meet safety requirements; less reputable firms are knowns to make shortcuts and it’s “buyer beware!”

Lithium-ion is safe but with millions of consumers using batteries, failures are bound to happen. In 2006, a one-in-200,000 breakdown triggered a recall of almost six million lithium-ion packs. Sony, the maker of the lithium-ion cells in question, points out that on rare occasion microscopic metal particles may come into contact with other parts of the battery cell, leading to a short circuit within the cell.

Battery manufacturers strive to minimize the presence of such particles; however, complex assembly techniques make the elimination of all metallic dust a challenge. Cells with ultra-thin separators of 24µm or less (24-thousandth of an mm) are more susceptible to impurities than the older designs with lower Ah ratings. Whereas the 1,350mAh cell in the 18650 package could tolerate a nail penetration test, the high-density 3,400mAh can ignite when performing the same test. (See BU-306: What is the Function of the Separator?) New safety standards direct how batteries are used, and the UL1642 Underwriters Laboratories (UL) test no longer mandates nail penetration for safety acceptance of lithium-based batteries.

Li-ion using conventional metal oxides is nearing its theoretical limit on specific energy. Rather than optimizing capacity, battery makers are improving manufacturing methods to enhance safety and increase calendar life. The real problem lies when on rare occasions an electrical short develops inside the cell. The external protection peripherals are ineffective to stop a thermal runaway once in progress. The batteries recalled in 2006 had passed the UL safety requirements — yet they failed under normal use with appropriate protection circuits.

There are two basic types of battery failures. One occurs at a predictable interval-per-million and is connected with a design flaw involving the electrode, separator, electrolyte or processes. These defects often involve a recall to correct a discovered flaw. The more difficult failures are random events that do not point to a design flaw. It may be a stress event like charging at sub-freezing temperature, vibration, or a fluke incident that is comparable to being hit by a meteor.

What causes laptop batteries to overheat?
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dell-battery-fire.htm

Quote:
There are several reasons why* multiple laptop battery models have been recalled in the past few years. People want small, lightweight laptops that they can use for long periods. They also want their laptops to have bright screens and lots of processing power. For these reasons, laptop batteries have to be relatively small, but they also have to hold a lot of energy and last a long time.

*Making lithium-ion batteries that can hold more power for a longer period requires vital components, including the separators, to be small and thin. The reduction in size makes it more likely that the batteries can fail, break, leak or short circuit.
Same can be applied to phones...

Simpler explanation:

How Lithium-ion Batteries Work
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...on-battery.htm

Quote:
Exploding Batteries

Now that we know how to keep lithium-ion batteries working longer, let's look at why they can explode.

If the battery gets hot enough to ignite the electrolyte, you are going to get a fire. There are video clips and photos on the Web that show just how serious these fires can be. The CBC article,"Summer of the Exploding Laptop," rounds up several of these incidents.

When a fire like this happens, it is usually caused by an internal short in the battery. Recall from the previous section that lithium-ion cells contain a separator sheet that keeps the positive and negative electrodes apart. If that sheet gets punctured and the electrodes touch, the battery heats up very quickly. You may have experienced the kind of heat a battery can produce if you have ever put a normal 9-volt battery in your pocket. If a coin shorts across the two terminals, the battery gets quite hot.

In a separator failure, that same kind of short happens inside the lithium-ion battery. Since lithium-ion batteries are so energetic, they get very hot. The heat causes the battery to vent the organic solvent used as an electrolyte, and the heat (or a nearby spark) can light it. Once that happens inside one of the cells, the heat of the fire cascades to the other cells and the whole pack goes up in flames.

It is important to note that fires are very rare. Still, it only takes a couple of fires and a little media coverage to prompt a recall.
I am going to steer away from Samsung for my next phone. Not to do with the battery issue(s) but because they're basically putting out the same phone and I'm tired of Samsung... looking at the LG V20 but have to see reviews and battery life after it releases. The camera is supposed to be stellar.

Last edited by Maru; 03-09-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 AM #6

Yes Maru
even the same but much Larger Batterys
have burnt, inside Planes.

Which is why
Samsung need batter testing before Production
starts.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amsung, battery, explosions, galaxy, halts, note, sales, samung