Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:37 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default Is it acceptable for people to live in Britain but not speak English?

Millions of pounds are spent every year in Britain on translation services and interpreters.
The NHS alone spends £64,000 per day on interpreters.
When people go to live abroad in Spain for example all that paperwork is in Spanish.
So why is Britain spending all this money on this?
This money would be much better spent on teaching foreigners how to speak and read English helping them in the process.
All these translation services are doing is just leaving non English speaking foreigners stuck without being able to read,speak or understand the people in the country they live in with no motivation or need to learn English.
This is a counterproductive waste of tax payers money and will not end while we as a country pander to it.
So i say we'd be far better off spending the money on education which will help everybody.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:39 PM #2
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Yes
Old 11-12-2016, 03:39 PM #3

I'd say it's perfectly acceptable.

But then reading your post I also agree in the education side of things to help them.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:42 PM #4
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

I'd also like to think that I can move to any country in the world without learning the language if I choose to do so (I have already done this twice). Perhaps that makes me biased but I'd hate to think that somebody may be deprived of the same thing.

Last edited by Withano; 11-12-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:44 PM #5
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Yes. As a great meme I once saw summed it up:

'So foreigners need to learn English or face deportation, whilst Aunty Barbara is living in Spain saying bonjour to to the shop keeper'
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:46 PM #6

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

yeah i guess but i don't understand how people can bare to live somewhere when they can't communicate with the people around them. like, i really want to live in asia but the language barrier would irritate me too much.

Last edited by RichardG; 11-12-2016 at 03:46 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:46 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyTheElf View Post

'So foreigners need to learn English or face deportation, whilst Aunty Barbara is living in Spain saying bonjour to to the shop keeper'
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:47 PM #8
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star Monkey View Post
Millions of pounds are spent every year in Britain on translation services and interpreters.
The NHS alone spends £64,000 per day on interpreters.
When people go to live abroad in Spain for example all that paperwork is in Spanish.
So why is Britain spending all this money on this?
This money would be much better spent on teaching foreigners how to speak and read English helping them in the process.
All these translation services are doing is just leaving non English speaking foreigners stuck without being able to read,speak or understand the people in the country they live in with no motivation or need to learn English.
This is a counterproductive waste of tax payers money and will not end while we as a country pander to it.
So i say we'd be far better off spending the money on education which will help everybody.
I agree. I don't understand why people are even allowed in if they don't speak basic English. How are they supposed to get a job if they can't speak English - are we supposed to support them for ever.

I wouldn't go to live in a country without learning the basics first, it is just common sense. These people often then become a long-term burden on the NHS, benefits system etc.

As part of my job I have had to arrange interpreters for people and there is often a sense of entitlement from them, certainly no appreciation. It is taken for granted by many.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:48 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Yes
You pay then, why should the rest of us.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:50 PM #10
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
You pay then, why should the rest of us.
Benefits are there for those who need it. That wont change any time soon, get used to it.
I dont know why you automatically assumed that those who cant speak the language wont have jobs.. There are several jobs that dont require communication.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:55 PM #11
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

No, not really - unless they were learning the language at the same time. How are they expected to work, integrate, engage with people etc? It only leads to segregated communities. I'd learn the language if I moved abroad. It's vital - doing otherwise leaves you isolated.
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:56 PM #12
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Benefits are there for those who need it. That wont change any time soon, get used to it.
I dont know why you automatically assumed that those who cant speak the language wont have jobs.. There are several jobs that dont require communication.
For those that genuinely need it - not those looking for a free ride. It is changing all the time with negative effects on those that genuinely need it due to the added burden on the system of the freeloaders.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:58 PM #13
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
For those that genuinely need it - not those looking for a free ride. It is changing all the time with negative effects on those that genuinely need it due to the added burden on the system of the freeloaders.
Bit irrelevant. This is about whether people need to learn the language to live in the country. Youve presumed every person who doesnt know the language doesnt work for a living. And this is incorrect...

Last edited by Withano; 11-12-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:08 PM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyTheElf View Post

The difference is if Aunty Barbara needs to visit her Spanish GP and she wants to understand what her diagnosis is, she has to pay for an interpreter, same with any hospital visits. If people don't want to learn the language of the country they live in, that's fine by me I don't see why the taxpayer should pick up interpreter costs though.

Last edited by Cherie; 11-12-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:10 PM #15

At last the Prime Minister has insisted that foreigners must learn English properly, if they want to be allowed to stay. This is only fair, because when the British move abroad we make sure we’re fluent in the local dialect within a fortnight.

Wander through the Costa Del Sol and there’s no way of telling who’s Spanish and who’s from east London, so integrated have we become, with characters such as Nobby “Flamenco” Wilson, who within seven years learned to say “adios” in a Dagenham accent, causing his mates to shout “blimey, hark at Picasso”, while watching West Ham vs Watford in a pub by the beach in Marbella.

Despite us going to all that trouble, when the Spanish come over here they speak English with a slight Spanish accent. Is it any wonder we get fed up of Europe when they mug us off like that?

One complaint about immigrants who don’t speak perfect English is they can’t work here, as they won’t be understood. This compares to the English who move to France, who have all mastered French so perfectly from a year of GCSE French, they can work anywhere they like, understanding even the finest details.

For example, if they were in a call centre, and a frustrated French businessman rang to report his internet connection was down, the average Englishman living in France would have no problem replying “the cat is in the garden”.

If they worked in a hospital and someone came through the door screaming their appendix had burst, a plucky Englishman would be able to helpfully inform the patient “J’aime le football, mais je n’aime pas le tennis”.

So we should go further with these plans to deport people who can’t be bothered to learn the language: anyone wanting to move to Liverpool should have to do a course to learn grabbing someone in a headlock and saying “you’ve gorra have a laugh mate”, or they’re not allowed in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a6826161.html
Old 11-12-2016, 04:11 PM #16
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Bit irrelevant. This is about whether people need to learn the language to live in the country. Youve presumed every person who doesnt know the language doesnt work for a living. And this is incorrect.
How does anyone who cannot speak the language, and therefore communicate effectively, get a job, pay their bills etc unless they are relying on some kind of translation/support service, probably paid for by the taxpayer. Amounts to the same thing - us footing the bill. Is it any wonder there is so much bad feeling about immigration.

People should be required to speak the basics, accept maybe in exceptional circumstances. Then they should be required to pay towards the cost of language classes, interpreters etc.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:14 PM #17
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Sherry View Post
The difference is if Aunty Barbara needs to visit her Soanish GP and she wants to understand what her diagnosis is, she has to pay for an interpreter, same with any hospital visits. If people don't want to learn the language of the country they live in, that's fine by me I don't see why the taxpayer should pick up interpreter costs though.
That seems like more of a Spanish issue which the UK has resolved to me.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:17 PM #18
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That seems like more of a Spanish issue which the UK has resolved to me.
no it's common sense not to pick up the tab for every Brit who wants to move to the sun, unemployment in Spain is 25 per cent, their system would buckle if they had to pay for every Tom, Dick and Harry...oh wait just like the NHS ....
Old 11-12-2016, 04:17 PM #19

They do have to pay towards the cost of language classes unless they are claiming unemployment benefit. If they are claiming UB they are obligated to attend English class where their progress is closely monitored. If they don't attend they get penalized.
This is exactly the same in France and Spain
Old 11-12-2016, 04:19 PM #20
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
They do have to pay towards the cost of language classes unless they are claiming unemployment benefit. If they are claiming UB they are obligated to attend English class where their progress is closely monitored. If they don't attend they get penalized.
This is exactly the same in France and Spain
There is no unemployment benefit in Spain, unless you have paid into the system for a year.....

In order to be eligible to receive unemployment benefits in Spain, a person must have been employed and paid contributions into the social security system. The amount of benefit received by unemployed workers varies depending on how long they were employed. ... Unemployment benefits are known as "el paro".

Last edited by Cherie; 11-12-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:21 PM #21
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
How does anyone who cannot speak the language, and therefore communicate effectively, get a job, pay their bills etc unless they are relying on some kind of translation/support service, probably paid for by the taxpayer. Amounts to the same thing - us footing the bill. Is it any wonder there is so much bad feeling about immigration.

People should be required to speak the basics, accept maybe in exceptional circumstances. Then they should be required to pay towards the cost of language classes, interpreters etc.
Why would translating a letter or a bill into a different language cos anybody any money? Effective communication just isnt required in some jobs so thats not an issue either...
And I disagree, if you wanted to work in Greece tomorrow for a job that doesnt require an extensive comprehension of the Greek language, then go for it. Language classes would be optional for you too.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:23 PM #22
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
no it's common sense not to pick up the tab for every Brit who wants to move to the sun, unemployment in Spain is 25 per cent, their system would buckle if they had to pay for every Tom, Dick and Harry...oh wait just like the NHS ....
I would say an inclusive and progressive, forward thinking attitude is closer to common sense than denying a person their diagnosis because they dont understand the language is, myself.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM #23

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

No I think it's really rude, especially if they can't even be bother to learn the basic language. Same goes for Brits who live abroad.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The difference is if Aunty Barbara needs to visit her Spanish GP and she wants to understand what her diagnosis is, she has to pay for an interpreter, same with any hospital visits. If people don't want to learn the language of the country they live in, that's fine by me I don't see why the taxpayer should pick up interpreter costs though.
Yeah i agree.The tax payer shouldn't be paying for this.If people want to come here then they should learn the language first or fund their own interpreters.
Apart from refugees obviously.
This money should be spent on teaching these people English or it will never end.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM #25

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

I think so

If I moved abroad I wouldn't be able to speak the language
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
acceptable, britain, english, live, people, speak