Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-12-2016, 03:30 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Default Freedom of speech and the right to offend

Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 04:08 PM #2
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star Monkey View Post
I think it is an issue we all need to be rationale about.

Whilst i don't think it would be a good idea for people to be able to be offensive for the sake of being offensive, I do think people should be able to openly criticize practices/beliefs considered wrong by the majority. To simply shut people down, as often happens here, because their view is not popular with a given group is unacceptable in the free world.

Some groups, by just about anyone's standards, are far too easily offended, although I also believe an element of that is theatrics to cause drama and put pressure on government bodies to close down any opposition. Complete manipulation.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 04:37 PM #3
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Wait, his only example for offensive things today was lads mags? And "student leaders" who are accidentally offending? Which is worse than purposely offending? Not sure how well that point came off. The entire video just seemed like a piece of homework but he forgot to read the paragraph with the point in it tbh.

I think if you actively want to offend groups of people you're a bit of a ****, theres no need, its easier to not do that. Sure you have freedom of speech, it doesnt mean anybody wants to hear your ill-informed whine.
Ive Noticed a lot of people go on a rant, include their mindless insults to their least favourite communities, and calling it freedom of speech, but then crying about it when somebody criticises it.. but if you want freedom of speech then you need to accept criticism.. Thats kind of the point.
Old 28-12-2016, 06:08 PM #4
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post

Whilst i don't think it would be a good idea for people to be able to be offensive for the sake of being offensive, I do think people should be able to openly criticize practices/beliefs considered wrong by the majority. To simply shut people down, as often happens here, because their view is not popular with a given group is unacceptable in the free world.
"By the majority"? So mob rule? No thanks... "The majority" are loud-mouthed simpletons who couldn't cobble together an original opinion if they were given an instruction manual and a litre of gorilla glue.

I do agree with the rest... Not a good idea for people to just be offensive for the sake of it, but people should be able to openly criticise beliefs and practices that they do not agree with, without fear of persecution. But that applies whether it is an opinion of a minority group OR the opinion of the masses. The public, and the human race, en masse, hold endless beliefs and opinions that are in full need of extreme criticism. In my opinion .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 06:15 PM #5
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
but if you want freedom of speech then you need to accept criticism.
This is also very true. A lot of people tend to confuse the freedom to say what you want, with the freedom to say whatever you want and not have anyone call you out or criticise you for what you have to say. Usually with bull**** soundbites like "I'm entitled to my opinion!" Etc. Etc... Etc.

Everyone should be entitled to their opinion, yes, and this includes being entitled to form an opinion OF another person, based on the opinions that they have expressed.

And that's really what it comes down to. If you want to be an opinionated person, you HAVE to accept that some (or many, depending on the opinion) people will not like you for it. Anyone who can't handle that should learn to keep their opinions to themselves... Or prepare for a life of often feeling hard-done-by .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 28-12-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 28-12-2016, 06:19 PM #6
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
This is also very true. A lot of people tend to confuse the freedom to say what you want, with the freedom to say whatever you want and not have anyone call you out or criticise you for what you have to say. Usually with bull**** soundbites like "I'm entitled to my opinion!" Etc. Etc... Etc.

Everyone should be entitled to their opinion, yes, and this includes being entitled to form an opinion OF another person, based on the opinions that they have expressed.

And that's really what it comes down to. If you want to be an opinionated person, you HAVE to accept that some (or many, depending on the opinion) people will not like you for it. Anyone who can't handle that should learn to keep their opinions to themselves... Or prepare for a life of often feeling hard-done-by .
That very much works both ways!
Old 28-12-2016, 06:28 PM #7
-

-

Quote:
That very much works both ways!
It works every way, yes, and anyone pretending that either "side" (there are in reality dozens of sides of course, not two) is less guilty of anything than the other is full of ****. There are individuals in any setting who A) can't accept that people hold differing opinions, B) can't handle people not liking them for their debatably horrible opinions, or C) (and worst) both of these.
Old 28-12-2016, 07:27 PM #8
Banned

Banned

I often find that people who pretend to care about Free Speech and believe that political correctness is the devil are often the most likely to take offence at everything that doesn't match their own viewpoints.

Just look at the 'news stories' that pop up every Christmas about how 'liberals and muslims are trying to get rid of Christmas' or the furore over the Starbucks cup not being Christmassy enough. It's all basically bait for the types of people that would normally screech about Free Speech to get their knickers in a twist over.

Those kinds of people will only endorse and defend Free Speech for as long as it works for them. They have little interest in Free Speech when it comes to thoughts and opinions that don't match their own.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:43 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I often find that people who pretend to care about Free Speech and believe that political correctness is the devil are often the most likely to take offence at everything that doesn't match their own viewpoints.

Just look at the 'news stories' that pop up every Christmas about how 'liberals and muslims are trying to get rid of Christmas' or the furore over the Starbucks cup not being Christmassy enough. It's all basically bait for the types of people that would normally screech about Free Speech to get their knickers in a twist over.

Those kinds of people will only endorse and defend Free Speech for as long as it works for them. They have little interest in Free Speech when it comes to thoughts and opinions that don't match their own.
You are nearly always one of the first to get offended and insulting and calling those with opinions you don't share on immigration, for example, as bigots and racists.

Hardly in a position to act as though you are above such behaviour and attempt to imply it is always those with opposing opinions to you that do. Getting your knickers in a twist is a right only reserved for those who care so deeply about different types of people hey!

As usual, opinions on that will be varied!
Old 28-12-2016, 07:56 PM #10
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I do think people should be able to openly criticize practices/beliefs considered wrong by the majority. To simply shut people down, as often happens here

Some groups, by just about anyone's standards, are far too easily offended, although I also believe an element of that is theatrics to cause drama and put pressure on government bodies to close down any opposition. Complete manipulation.
Quote:
You are nearly always one of the first to get offended and insulting and calling those with opinions you don't share on immigration, for example, as bigots and racists.

Hardly in a position to act as though you are above such behaviour and attempt to imply it is always those with opposing opinions to you that do. Getting your knickers in a twist is a right only reserved for those who care so deeply about different types of people
Do you not think these two posts directly contradict each other and you just completely proved the 'freedom of speech until it doesnt go their way' / 'offence at everything that doesn't match their own viewpoints.' entirely correct

Last edited by Withano; 28-12-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:57 PM #11
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Hardly in a position to act as though you are above such behaviour and attempt to imply it is always those with opposing opinions to you that do. Getting your knickers in a twist is a right only reserved for those who care so deeply about different types of people hey!

As usual, opinions on that will be varied!
Where the the receipts on your claims? I won't hold my breath on you actually backing them up because you can't and it's just basically baseless slander on your part.

Even if someone did call you a bigot for your opinions then is it not Freedom of Speech? Or does that only apply to you? You taking offense to my opnions is basically proving what I'm saying to be correct. You can't handle opinions that don't allign with your own.

I've never tried to silence your opinions on subjects, I'd rather question it then suppress it. It seems like you consider someone questioning your opinion to be the same as trying to censor it. Freedom of Speech is a two way street, if you're going to speak out about people taking offense to what you have to say then you can't suddenly act like a victim if someone questions your own opinions.

You are allowed an opinion and everyone else is allowed to question it. I've lost count of how many times I've said that in Serious Debates.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:11 PM #12
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Where the the receipts on your claims? I won't hold my breath on you actually backing them up because you can't and it's just basically baseless slander on your part.

Even if someone did call you a bigot for your opinions then is it not Freedom of Speech? Or does that only apply to you? You taking offense to my opnions is basically proving what I'm saying to be correct. You can't handle opinions that don't allign with your own.

I've never tried to silence your opinions on subjects, I'd rather question it then suppress it. It seems like you consider someone questioning your opinion to be the same as trying to censor it. Freedom of Speech is a two way street, if you're going to speak out about people taking offense to what you have to say then you can't suddenly act like a victim if someone questions your own opinions.

You are allowed an opinion and everyone else is allowed to question it. I've lost count of how many times I've said that in Serious Debates.
The are many can testify to your tendency to calling others bigots and racists. Remember once put out there it stays out there so good luck with your further baseless allegations on slander.

Your opinion is simply that, an opinion, nothing more, so whilst no-one is likely to be too bothered about that, it is the principle and hypocrisy of people like you that is what is really offensive. You clearly don't take criticism well, nobody does if honest about it. However some will desperately attempt to suggest they are above all that despite it being out there for all to see. All bluster.

Of course everyone is allowed an opinion, in theory, however being a mod enables some to shut down those not in agreement with their own.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:18 PM #13
Banned

Banned

Quote:
The are many can testify to your tendency to calling others bigots and racists. Remember once put out there it stays out there so good luck with your further baseless allegations on slander.

Your opinion is simply that, an opinion, nothing more, so whilst no-one is likely to be too bothered about that, it is the principle and hypocrisy of people like you that is what is really offensive. You clearly don't take criticism well, nobody does if honest about it. However some will desperately attempt to suggest they are above all that despite it being out there for all to see. All bluster.

Of course everyone is allowed an opinion, in theory, however being a mod enables some to shut down those not in agreement with their own.
So no proof, as usual. Just the typical 'I know you are but what am I' response.

I take criticism well and it's hilarious that you should say that when you and yours have led a campaign of bullying against me just because I happen to have a different opinion.

The truth is that you can't argue against, not because the fact that I'm a mod but because your opinion is often hypocritical like it is in this thread and you trip yourself up. It's always been that way, Wombai.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:19 PM #14
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Do you not think these two posts directly contradict each other and you just completely proved the 'freedom of speech until it doesnt go their way' / 'offence at everything that doesn't match their own viewpoints.' entirely correct
Clearly not seeing the same thing. They are intended to demonstrate the hypocrisy of those who constantly take offence at any opposition to mass migration into Europe.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:24 PM #15
User banned

User banned

Quote:
So no proof, as usual. Just the typical 'I know you are but what am I' response.

I take criticism well and it's hilarious that you should say that when you and yours have led a campaign of bullying against me just because I happen to have a different opinion.

The truth is that you can't argue against, not because the fact that I'm a mod but because your opinion is often hypocritical like it is in this thread and you trip yourself up. It's always been that way, Wombai.
Can you give a straight answer to a straight question? Are you denying ever calling anyone on here a bigot/racist?

As for the absolutely hilarious 'bullying' accusation, you really are getting desperate now, as I know several on here have felt bullied by you in your dubious position as a mod.

That last remark a very good case in point.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:27 PM #16
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
It's always been that way, Wombai.
Damn, you beat me to it

Glad to know my suspicions weren't unfounded
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:38 PM #17
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Can you give a straight answer to a straight question? Are you denying ever calling anyone on here a bigot/racist?

As for the absolutely hilarious 'bullying' accusation, you really are getting desperate now, as I know several on here have felt bullied by you in your dubious position as a mod.

That last remark a very good case in point.
If I did then, according to this thread it wouldn't be an issue or am I once again correct with my assertions that people only care about Freedom of Speech when it suits them?

I can't recall calling anyone a bigot, if you have evidence to the contrary then go right ahead, if not then it's just a baseless attack in place of a valid argument.

You and yours have literally posted a thread a few weeks that lasted five or more pages pretty much attacking me constantly, You constantly attack me in threads and try to silence my opinion by mentioning that I'm a mod and making out that I'm somehow abusing mod privileges simply because you can't win an argument against me. I have been bullied by you guys because you've convinced yourselves that I'm somehow abusing my position when I'm not. I simply have a different opinion to you and you can't handle that or the fact that I'm willing to question you on your opinion which is hilariously against what this thread is all about. You can't handle my opinion so a group of you have been trying to bully me into silence for weeks but it will not work. I promise you that.

Pointing out hypocrisy is apart of the debating process, to accuse me of bullying because I've pointed out the holes in your logic is silly.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:10 PM #18
User banned

User banned

Quote:
If I did then, according to this thread it wouldn't be an issue or am I once again correct with my assertions that people only care about Freedom of Speech when it suits them?

I can't recall calling anyone a bigot, if you have evidence to the contrary then go right ahead, if not then it's just a baseless attack in place of a valid argument.

You and yours have literally posted a thread a few weeks that lasted five or more pages pretty much attacking me constantly, You constantly attack me in threads and try to silence my opinion by mentioning that I'm a mod and making out that I'm somehow abusing mod privileges simply because you can't win an argument against me. I have been bullied by you guys because you've convinced yourselves that I'm somehow abusing my position when I'm not. I simply have a different opinion to you and you can't handle that or the fact that I'm willing to question you on your opinion which is hilariously against what this thread is all about. You can't handle my opinion so a group of you have been trying to bully me into silence for weeks but it will not work. I promise you that.

Pointing out hypocrisy is apart of the debating process, to accuse me of bullying because I've pointed out the holes in your logic is silly.
As usual you know most are not going to trawl through hundreds of threads - proving a point to you simply isn't worth the effort - but you know, I know and so do others.

You also over estimate your abilities as you haven't pointed out any holes in anything, all you ever do is constantly deny your actions and hope no one will be bothered to call your bluff. Whatever.

At the end of the day to accuse others of bullying you because they call you out on your hypocrisy when you are the one who is able to infract/ban those that do is what is silly. You are in a no lose situation, and you know it, which gives you the courage to play the 'superior' one. Good luck with that!
Old 28-12-2016, 09:43 PM #19
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:

Who are the "you and yours" you are referring to, I posted a thread asking for transparency when a post is deleted for no apparent reason is that the thread you are referring to? if you were the only mod mentioned in the thread then maybe you need to examine your approach ..as for you and yours I post independently as does Brillo I don't see that we are connected in any way
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:47 PM #20
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Clearly not seeing the same thing. They are intended to demonstrate the hypocrisy of those who constantly take offence at any opposition to mass migration into Europe.
In summary what you have said in this thread is the following

I love freedom of speech cos I get to say what I want, however people cant say what they want about my thoughts, freedom of speech only applies to me.

Youve embarrassed yourself on this one matey boy.

Last edited by Withano; 28-12-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:48 PM #21
User banned

User banned

Quote:
In summary what you have said in this thread is the following

I love freedom of speech cos I get to say what I want, however people say what they want about my thoughts, freedom of speech only applies to me.

Youve embarrassed yourself on this one matey boy.
Not half as much as you matey boy.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:49 PM #22
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

You need to reread your words or have a rest, its actually quite humerous how many times you contradicted yourself / proved a point you were fighting against in this thread

Last edited by Withano; 28-12-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:52 PM #23
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You need to reread your words or have a rest, its actually quite humerous how many times you contradicted yourself / proved a point you were fighting against in this thread
Seriously, you really think I take your opinion very seriously.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:56 PM #24
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Seriously, you really think I take your opinion very seriously.
You contradicting yourself in this thread is more of a fact than my opinion. I dont know you enough to understand whether you take facts seriously or not. Perhaps not if youre disregarding this one.

Last edited by Withano; 28-12-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:59 PM #25
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You contradicting yourself in this thread is more of a fact than my opinion. I dont know you enough to understand whether you take facts seriously or not. Perhaps not if youre disregarding this one.
No it isn't you just misunderstand what you read. That's your problem not mine.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
freedom, offend, speech