Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-02-2017, 09:44 PM #51
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Well for starters, Arwa is a Mrs not a Mr - so one can only assume you didn't bother to check the source and dare I say even read the column.

Secondly, what is there to be unbiased or biased about? What exactly is this 'subject' you speak of? This is an opinion piece about the alleged hypocrisy of the terms 'snowflake', 'safe space' and 'PC' levelled at those on the left by some sections of the right. It isn't a news story, there is no facts or 'fake news'. It's a column.

Finally, much like many of the other Comment is Free columnists she does not work solely for The Guardian and so this 'master' nonsense you've invented seems utterly bizarre and completely misplaced. The next time Katie Hopkins or Piers Morgan write a column for The Sun or the Mail respectively, can I expect to see you deriding them for bowing to their right wing masters and writing what their overlords want them to? I'm guessing not.

Populist correctness gone mad, it seems.
Takes one to know one perhaps.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:54 PM #52
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Ah, you can always tell when someone's run out of a counter argument when they respond to a lengthy post with a one sentence reply. Especially if said sentence is as feeble and juvenile as 'takes one to know one'.

Glad to know I was right.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:10 PM #53
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Also, regarding the whole 'political correctness' bull****
Old 21-02-2017, 04:23 AM #54
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Ah, you can always tell when someone's run out of a counter argument when they respond to a lengthy post with a one sentence reply. Especially if said sentence is as feeble and juvenile as 'takes one to know one'.

Glad to know I was right.
Sometimes brief is more appropriate. Lengthy in itself is not an indication of quality but if it makes you feel better to think your post was 'too challenging'' go ahead.

Seriously Jack I have no problem with your post I just feel that your approval of the comments expressed in the column were solely based on it's obvious left-wing bias which is in keeping with your own views. It was as you say an opinion-based column not a statement of fact.

Last edited by Brillopad; 21-02-2017 at 04:58 AM.
Old 21-02-2017, 08:36 AM #55

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Who started this "snowflakes" sh*t? It's annoying as ****.
I think it's just an internet thing from Tumblr.A site i've never been to.From what i've read it was used to describe people who think they deserve a medal for saying they're different.Like calling themselves 'gender fluid' etc to try and look edgy.It's another ridiculous term that should never have made into real life speech like 'check your privilege'.I think these things mainly start making it into the actual conversations in American universities and then get spread back onto places like Youtube and the cycle perpetuates.
I agree it's annoying as ****.
Whenever i hear it or read it i always assume it's being used ironically.I really very much doubt that anyone over the age of twenty uses it in real life.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:48 AM #56
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Sometimes brief is more appropriate. Lengthy in itself is not an indication of quality but if it makes you feel better to think your post was 'too challenging'' go ahead.

Seriously Jack I have no problem with your post I just feel that your approval of the comments expressed in the column were solely based on it's obvious left-wing bias which is in keeping with your own views. It was as you say an opinion-based column not a statement of fact.
Brief would've been appropriate had your response actually addressed any of the points I made, but it didn't. It was juvenile and akin to 'I know you are but what am I', which is quite frankly just laughable.

...where did I say it was a statement of fact? You clearly aren't reading my posts because I've tried to explain to you on several occasions that the piece wasn't an article or a news story but a column that expressed the opinion of the author, which I happened to agree with. I actually said that. Of course I'm going to agree with it, what a futile thing to point out. Next time someone posts an article or column that you agree with I'll be sure to point out for absolutely no reason at all that the only reason you agree with it is because it aligns with your own views.

Seriously. What a complete waste of time.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:06 AM #57

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I can understand why the author wrote this tbf.It's a reactionary piece.A kind of fighting back type thing.You can tell she spends a fair amount of time on the internet by her use of the word 'snowflake'.Nobody(or barely anybody) uses that term off the internet.
I can see why the left are so angry atm.They all get tarred with the same brush as the far left,The real looney left.Not every and infact most left leaning people are like that at all.Most are sensible and moderate in their opinions just as most on the right.
It's abit like people on the right being branded as far right and racist etc when that is a very small minority.People on both sides are being lumped in with the extreme ends of those sides.
It has kind of got out of hand.
It's like tit for tat from both sides.I think the whole left/right thing is outdated now anyway.Most people i think are somewhere in the middle.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:16 AM #58
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
'I know you are but what am I',
She genuinely uses this all the time. I think she thinks its a zinger.
Old 21-02-2017, 09:32 AM #59
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I think it's just an internet thing from Tumblr.A site i've never been to.From what i've read it was used to describe people who think they deserve a medal for saying they're different.Like calling themselves 'gender fluid' etc to try and look edgy.It's another ridiculous term that should never have made into real life speech like 'check your privilege'.I think these things mainly start making it into the actual conversations in American universities and then get spread back onto places like Youtube and the cycle perpetuates.
I agree it's annoying as ****.
Whenever i hear it or read it i always assume it's being used ironically.I really very much doubt that anyone over the age of twenty uses it in real life.
The very first time I heard it used actually was by katie Hopkins...of course that would be one she would latch onto

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:34 AM #60
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I can understand why the author wrote this tbf.It's a reactionary piece.A kind of fighting back type thing.You can tell she spends a fair amount of time on the internet by her use of the word 'snowflake'.Nobody(or barely anybody) uses that term off the internet.
I can see why the left are so angry atm.They all get tarred with the same brush as the far left,The real looney left.Not every and infact most left leaning people are like that at all.Most are sensible and moderate in their opinions just as most on the right.
It's abit like people on the right being branded as far right and racist etc when that is a very small minority.People on both sides are being lumped in with the extreme ends of those sides.
It has kind of got out of hand.
It's like tit for tat from both sides.I think the whole left/right thing is outdated now anyway.Most people i think are somewhere in the middle.
Yes I totally agree. I think people who lean slightly either way feel like they have to back everything left or right atm for some strange reason though

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:16 PM #61
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Back to the playground tactics, I see.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 06:02 PM #62
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Back to the playground tactics, I see.
Indeed.
Old 21-02-2017, 07:11 PM #63
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I am. Totally and utterly sick of it. It's just got too nasty here and it's been allowed to continue... it was fun, but now it's just spiteful and ridiculous.
It hasn't gotten nasty, what has happened is the people using it to cause offence are offended it has been adopted by those it was intended to offend...It was fun before then, but now it's just being ridiculed as the nonsense term it is it's spiteful and ridiculous.

Or is it simply that it was funny when the term was levied right to left but now it goes left to right it's spiteful and ridiculous? which is a mahoosive double standard.
Old 21-02-2017, 07:17 PM #64
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It hasn't gotten nasty, what has happened is the people using it to cause offence are offended it has been adopted by those it was intended to offend...It was fun before then, but now it's just being ridiculed as the nonsense term it is it's spiteful and ridiculous.

Or is it simply that it was funny when the term was levied right to left but now it goes left to right it's spiteful and ridiculous? which is a mahoosive double standard.
this is an excellent post. Wrap up warm, Kizzy. I have a feeling a blizzard is coming your way.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
correctness, forget, political, populist