Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:51 AM #1
-

-

Default The message for electioneering overall...

In light of the result; do you think we're FINALLY going to see a major change in election campaigning? Two things have been proven unequivocally here with the Tories performing so far below expectations;

1) The politics of fear doesn't seem to be working. They pushed "security concerns and terrorism" heavily throughout this campaign and if anything it seems to have turned many people off rather than rallying them to the Safe Mummy Theresa cause.

2) Smear campaigning doesn't seem to work anymore either. Jeremy Corbyn was essentially branded a threat to national security and a proxy-terrorist by the mainstream UK press, probably one of the most seriously aggressive smear campaigns in a long, long time and yet it appears to have had no effect... potentially even the opposite effect (The Underdog Effect).

So... a rare moment of optimism here... do you think going forward we might start to see POSITIVE election campaigning in future, with parties focussing on their hopes for the future rather than the "vote for us to avoid certain doom!" campaigns we've had all around for the last decade+?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 AM #2
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

It was the conservatives themselves that cost them the win.

Making promises and then going back on them.
Cutting the police to bone in the middle of the new terror threat was another nail in the coffin.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM #3
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Not unlike Thatcher in later years, May decided that what she thought was more important than the views of the rest of her party or the British people and she has paid for it.

People are bigging up Corbyn, but if he doesn't get an election soon he will be too old to be considered viable as a future PM. Also, this election was basically unfinished voter business from the brexit ref, people threw party loyalties out the window.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 AM #4
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I was reading this morning that it was the biggest turn out for young voters too 72%, that's fantastic

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 AM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

I agree with your points and I think the internet has a massive role to play in smear campaigning not being as effective.Many have turned away from the printed media and see the false inflammatory headlines and how they dance the fine line of reality and fiction.

Not to mention of course the ever present natural yoyo effect of politics from left to right to left again(even though the Blair years weren't actually left).

Then finally Theresa royally fecking up her campaign.
She got her agenda confused.She blurred her objectives.
She started out wanting to go in for the kill and increase her majority whilst wiping a ruined Labour party off the map.
But then got greedy and complacent and started pushing through crap that only her rich friends wanted.
If she'd stuck with plan A it was an easy win.Only a fool could mess it up.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 AM #6
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Another week of campaigning and it would have been a Labour majority, people were waking up and realising how bad she and they are, I really hope he remains leader....anything could happen.

Are the DUP going to be readily accepted as coalition party in the UK? Let's hope they hold up to public scrutiny.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:19 AM #7
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
In light of the result; do you think we're FINALLY going to see a major change in election campaigning? Two things have been proven unequivocally here with the Tories performing so far below expectations;

1) The politics of fear doesn't seem to be working. They pushed "security concerns and terrorism" heavily throughout this campaign and if anything it seems to have turned many people off rather than rallying them to the Safe Mummy Theresa cause.

2) Smear campaigning doesn't seem to work anymore either. Jeremy Corbyn was essentially branded a threat to national security and a proxy-terrorist by the mainstream UK press, probably one of the most seriously aggressive smear campaigns in a long, long time and yet it appears to have had no effect... potentially even the opposite effect (The Underdog Effect).

So... a rare moment of optimism here... do you think going forward we might start to see POSITIVE election campaigning in future, with parties focussing on their hopes for the future rather than the "vote for us to avoid certain doom!" campaigns we've had all around for the last decade+?

I agree about the smear campaign , it doesnt work that well...Though its more complex than that...Brexit is a massive factor here....as is terrorism, police numbers, tuition fees, austerity and people are getting tired of jimmy crankys endless demands for referendums. People still feel corbyn is weak on terrorism, debts, whereas may came across as complacent and arrogant. she also failed to connect with the electorate and failed to join all the debates, bad move

Last edited by the truth; 09-06-2017 at 10:20 AM.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:23 AM #8

Favourites (more):
I'maCeleb2014: Kendra Wilkinson
X Factor 2014: Andrea Faustini

Favourites (more):
I'maCeleb2014: Kendra Wilkinson
X Factor 2014: Andrea Faustini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Another week of campaigning and it would have been a Labour majority, people were waking up and realising how bad she and they are, I really hope he remains leader....anything could happen.

Are the DUP going to be readily accepted as coalition party in the UK? Let's hope they hold up to public scrutiny.
Totally agree. Plus, postal votes would have already been done weeks ago.
I can't believe the DUP are going to do this. Just awful
Tarryn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 AM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I agree with your points and I think the internet has a massive role to play in smear campaigning not being as effective.Many have turned away from the printed media and see the false inflammatory headlines and how they dance the fine line of reality and fiction.

Not to mention of course the ever present natural yoyo effect of politics from left to right to left again(even though the Blair years weren't actually left).

Then finally Theresa royally fecking up her campaign.
She got her agenda confused.She blurred her objectives.
She started out wanting to go in for the kill and increase her majority whilst wiping a ruined Labour party off the map.
But then got greedy and complacent and started pushing through crap that only her rich friends wanted.
If she'd stuck with plan A it was an easy win.Only a fool could mess it up.
I should add to this the Tories not releasing costings for their manifesto made them look untrustworthy.

Labour released a good manifesto(even if it did seem like pie in the sky) and costings.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
electioneering, message