Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-09-2017, 09:05 AM #1

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
Default Spanish police target Catalan government over referendum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41331152

I was surprised not to see any threads about what is happening in with Spain and Catalan so thought I'd enter this story from today.

I think the situation with Spain and Catalan shows a very different side to a smaller country wanting to be independent than our own story with Scotland and to me emphasises that we are quite civilised and progressive, even among neighbours in the west. Spain's attitude to Catalan seems pretty dictatorial. Reports like this one make me wonder how far Spain will go to prevent the referendum.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 20-09-2017 at 09:38 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:22 PM #2
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Yes it's easier to spot when governments are overtly corrupt, you would think that following the recent terrorist activity in Barcelona there would be a degree of unity from spain no 'Je suis Catalan' is there?.....very odd.

'Trampling democracy?

Reports have been coming out of Catalonia that the Spanish government has:

Threatened 700 Catalan Mayors with arrest if they agree to hold the referendum in their jurisdictions.
Ordered armed military police to raid print works, in an attempt to destroying voting materials. The police seized over 1.3 million pieces of campaign literature.
Shut down the official independence referendum website.
Warned Catalonia it will take control of its finances if the referendum isn’t stopped.
Also threatened newspaper and TV editors with court action, if they publish or broadcast material relating to the referendum.
As Al Jazeera reported, the Catalan President, Carles Puigdemont, has said of the referendum:

We have the full force of the state against us… Faced with judicial proceedings and threats… the regional government is more determined than ever…
But Spain’s Conservative Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, said laws passed by the regional government connected to the referendum were “illegal and anti-democratic”, adding:

There will not be a referendum… It’s my duty to preserve national unity…'

https://www.thecanary.co/global/2017...sa-may-silent/

Last edited by Kizzy; 20-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 03:14 PM #3

Favourites:

Favourites:

The EU is also silent and this is more their business than May's. The UK has already set examples that we don't treat our devolved partners in the way Spain is behaving towards Catalonia. That speaks far more loudly than words from May.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 20-09-2017, 03:17 PM #4
Banned

Banned

I hope the referendum goes ahead as planned, the lengths the Spanish government are going to prevent it are shocking.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 03:18 PM #5
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

Shame as Spain is a lovely country to visit

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:09 PM #6
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Yes it's easier to spot when governments are overtly corrupt, you would think that following the recent terrorist activity in Barcelona there would be a degree of unity from spain no 'Je suis Catalan' is there?.....very odd.

'Trampling democracy?

Reports have been coming out of Catalonia that the Spanish government has:

Threatened 700 Catalan Mayors with arrest if they agree to hold the referendum in their jurisdictions.
Ordered armed military police to raid print works, in an attempt to destroying voting materials. The police seized over 1.3 million pieces of campaign literature.
Shut down the official independence referendum website.
Warned Catalonia it will take control of its finances if the referendum isn’t stopped.
Also threatened newspaper and TV editors with court action, if they publish or broadcast material relating to the referendum.
As Al Jazeera reported, the Catalan President, Carles Puigdemont, has said of the referendum:

We have the full force of the state against us… Faced with judicial proceedings and threats… the regional government is more determined than ever…
But Spain’s Conservative Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, said laws passed by the regional government connected to the referendum were “illegal and anti-democratic”, adding:

There will not be a referendum… It’s my duty to preserve national unity…'

https://www.thecanary.co/global/2017...sa-may-silent/
They did actually as I saw symbols in Andalucia when I was there in support of Barcelona

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 05:47 AM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
They did actually as I saw symbols in Andalucia when I was there in support of Barcelona
Not from the Spanish govt Cherie....If you read the sentence in context it should be obvious I wasn't talking about the Spanish people.
Old 22-09-2017, 07:12 AM #8
-

-

To be fair, from what I know of Spanish politics, it's not really directly comparable to the situation in the UK. I believe Spain is made up of several smaller regions like Catalonia and many of them have independence movements, albeit with less support than there is in Catalonia, but still, there are many small regions and so the overarching Spanish govt. is terrified of a precedent being set.

If Scotland left the UK, the rUK would still be a comparably large country with 60 million people. Even England alone is over 50m if the UK split entirely. Spain, on the other hand, if every part that aspires towards independence got independence, would be fragmented into several smaller parts and there would be no real "greater Spain" at all.

Not that I personally think this is a bad thing. My overall opinion is that smaller states with more localised government - working in cooperation with each other - work best for most people's comfort and prosperity. Larger countries with huge centralised governments work for the elite. Hence many powerful people being afraid of the trend.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 07:59 AM #9
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

the political rain in spain

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 01:30 PM #10
beyonce of waltham forest

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Lewis F
beyonce of waltham forest

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Lewis F

Just.
let.
them.
have.
the.
****ing.
referendum.

Spoiler:

ST☆RS (TiBB's CBB): 6th/12

I'm a TiBB Member 4: 3rd/16 & Highest Placed All-Star (1st/8)
TiBB on Ice: 4th/15
ST☆RS (TiBB's CBB) 2: 3rd/17
TiBB OTT3: 2nd/13
Underscore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 11:32 AM #11
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

One question... On this issue, where is the news?

https://www.thecanary.co/global/2017...ack-democracy/
Old 23-09-2017, 06:21 PM #12

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

I definitely think they should be allowed a legal and fair independence referendum.One problem though according to one fella on the BBC was that ballot boxes were apparently being run by “separatists” who were letting people vote multiple times.He said this referendum was a sham.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 07:56 PM #13
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
The EU is also silent and this is more their business than May's. The UK has already set examples that we don't treat our devolved partners in the way Spain is behaving towards Catalonia. That speaks far more loudly than words from May.
Well yes, quite. Its nothing at all to do with May tbh, so not sure why she appears to be being criticized for staying out of it. Whilst the canary is a change from the usual right wing bias we see from most...at times its fairly silly in its reporting as seemingly everything is May/the Tories fault in some way, and if its not their actual fault, then they are criticized for something in connection to each story

I do think its something that Spain need to sort out themselves, without noses being poked in by everyone else

I actually know nothing at all about this whole thing, this is the first I have heard about it. Will read up.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 23-09-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 03:46 PM #14
Banned

Banned

Canary is as bad as Breitbart, no news source that is skewed too far in one direction can ever be reliable.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM #15

Favourites:

Favourites:

http://news.sky.com/story/amp/illega...lence-11062371

Quite shocking watching it unfold from the sidelines. Spain seems to be acting very dictatorial and you get the feeling it could get nasty with all the armed police involved.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM #16
Sandra Diaz Twine

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BBCanada 5: Ika
Sandra Diaz Twine

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BBCanada 5: Ika

thats disgusting
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM #17
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Canary is as bad as Breitbart, no news source that is skewed too far in one direction can ever be reliable.
The political affiliation is irrelevant when you use as a gauge the truthfulness of the reportage... Basically if what they say is correct then what does it matter which way they lean?

When the 'mainstream' media in the UK is the mail, BBC, times and telegraph is it so surprising that there is an alternative? Daring to highlight the anti democratic action of the Spanish govt when nobody else would... sorry Dezzy but you would never see that in breitbart, that comparison couldn't be more wrong as they are effectively polar opposites.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM #18
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

It's a pointless exercise now because no one who opposes independence (still most Catalans) is going to defy the central government and the police to say so. So there will be a result of something like 98% in favour from the few who managed to vote and it will be proclaimed as a strong show of support but will in reality mean nothing
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:28 PM #19
Banned

Banned

Quote:
The political affiliation is irrelevant when you use as a gauge the truthfulness of the reportage... Basically if what they say is correct then what does it matter which way they lean?

When the 'mainstream' media in the UK is the mail, BBC, times and telegraph is it so surprising that there is an alternative? Daring to highlight the anti democratic action of the Spanish govt when nobody else would... sorry Dezzy but you would never see that in breitbart, that comparison couldn't be more wrong as they are effectively polar opposites.
Confirmation Bias exists on both websites because they are both extreme in their political leanings, you can't get unbiased reporting from a website that leans far too much in one direction.

You can't condemn something like Breitbart but then be accepting of what is essentially it's Left Wing mirror in the Canary. I refuse to pay attention to either since agenda comes before news for both of them.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:05 PM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Confirmation Bias exists on both websites because they are both extreme in their political leanings, you can't get unbiased reporting from a website that leans far too much in one direction.

You can't condemn something like Breitbart but then be accepting of what is essentially it's Left Wing mirror in the Canary. I refuse to pay attention to either since agenda comes before news for both of them.
There is bias in all media the accusation that the canary is a mirror of breitbart is unwarranted in that as I said earlier there is nothing that has been stated in the canary that can be debunked, the facts are there as stated by reputable pollsters and statisticians. Whatever leaning the site has that remains the factual basis underpinning whatever the given issue is.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:28 PM #21
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
There is bias in all media the accusation that the canary is a mirror of breitbart is unwarranted in that as I said earlier there is nothing that has been stated in the canary that can be debunked, the facts are there as stated by reputable pollsters and statisticians. Whatever leaning the site has that remains the factual basis underpinning whatever the given issue is.
You should read them all and then you can make your own opinion. You should particularly read the ones you don't like, then you can get the information to give reasons why they are wrong.

I don't believe you read Breitbart (I could be wrong, but don't think so) but you always have an opinion on it.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM #22
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
You should read them all and then you can make your own opinion. You should particularly read the ones you don't like, then you can get the information to give reasons why they are wrong.

I don't believe you read Breitbart (I could be wrong, but don't think so) but you always have an opinion on it.
How on earth did this thread morph into yet another right V left wing volley? And why yet again are my politics hauled under a microscope?...

How about we stick to the topic in discussion which is the escalating violence in Catalonia, the UK media can no longer ignore it seemingly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7976721.html
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM #23
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Just like Breitbart, Canary will cherry pick stories and stats to suit it's political stance. Both are terrible websites that shouldn't be trusted.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 PM #24
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

They're literally dragging people out of polling stations and chucking them onto the street. Disgusting
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 PM #25
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Just like Breitbart, Canary will cherry pick stories and stats to suit it's political stance. Both are terrible websites that shouldn't be trusted.
I'm not sure what you mean here, the canary has on it's UK page up to date relevant reports on a wide range of topics including politics, the NHS, homelessness and issues relating to the DWP... I fail to see why you find that so distasteful seeing as social justice is a topic usually of relative importance to you.

Never mind, if you don't find the site useful then you are welcome to that view

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
catalan, government, police, referendum, spanish, target