Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be brought back?
Yes definitely 5 13.16%
Yes definitely
5 13.16%
Yes but only in extreme cases 9 23.68%
Yes but only in extreme cases
9 23.68%
Never! 24 63.16%
Never!
24 63.16%
Not bothered 0 0%
Not bothered
0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-12-2017, 11:55 PM #76

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah_Carey View Post
It's not deflection.

Asking him how he'd feel about a loved one being murdered is completely irrelevant and isn't something that should come into the decision making process when it comes to capital punishment. That's just obvious.
More deflection of a perfectly legitimate question, as nowhere in the initial post did it say it had to be viewed from the perspective of the law only. Perhaps you can explain to me why you think it did?

I have the answer to my original question anyway, deflection always gives people away.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 11:58 PM #77
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Emotion shouldn't come into a topic about capital punishment?!!!
It isn't a topic just about the law, it's a topic about how we FEEL about the bringing back of CP. I seen nothing in the opening post that said the thread had to be viewed only from a point of view of the law.
Deflection is your speciality though, as always.
When we're talking about the court process and issues of Law then yes, I don't think emotion should come into it since our court system is dependant on logic and evidence and it's not logical to murder a murderer and think it's just or okay to commit an act you have condemned someone else for doing.

Death is death, it's nothingness, people don't suffer in death. They don't feel anything. I'd rather people face up to what they've done in prison and be made to live with the consequences of their choices.

As for the bolded line, I don't see the relevance, I think you are just trying to downplay my argument without actually arguing against anything I've said. I never said that the topic could only be discussed from a logical angle, just that I believe it shouldn't be. You have confused my opinion for me trying to state a fact and I forgive you for that.

Your last line is just a cheap shot that doesn't really make sense considering your entire argument against me is a deflection on my original post in favour of what is essentially emotional manipulation in which you are trying to force me to change my views based on a flawed emotional aspect instead of doing me the decency of arguing against what I've said from a logical perspective.

If you are going to insult me then there's nothing more to say, if you wish to continue this discussion like adults then go ahead.

Last edited by Tom4784; 14-12-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 11:58 PM #78

Quote:
More deflection of a perfectly legitimate question, as nowhere in the initial post did it say it had to be viewed from the perspective of the law only. Perhaps you can explain to me why you think it did?

I have the answer to my original question anyway, deflection always gives people away.

What's the OP got to do with it? He was discussing whether he believes capital punishment should be brought back and said he doesn't.

Whether or not he'd feel differently should a close loved one be murdered is completely irrelevant as that's not a state of mind anyone can make such a big decision rationally.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 12:03 AM #79
0_o

0_o

I would say life in prison is worse punishment than the death penatly tbh.

If I was given the choice, I would chose death. Without second thought.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 12:06 AM #80
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I would say life in prison is worse punishment than the death penatly tbh.

If I was given the choice, I would chose death. Without second thought.
I find that people who think that prison is some sort of Hi-de-Hi holiday camp either have no experiences of prison, whether it's being sent to one, visiting one or knowing someone personally that's never been to one.

I've never been to prison but I know plenty that have and none of them think it's a holiday.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:11 AM #81

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I asked a simple question: would you feel the same if someone you loved was the one that was murdered? It's something that intrigues me when people say they are so against CP. No need for all the faffing about, deflection and manipulation talk, just give a straight answer or ignore if you wish...
Old 15-12-2017, 12:12 AM #82

Quote:
I asked a simple question: would you feel the same if someone you loved was the one that was murdered? It's something that intrigues me when people say they are so against CP. No need for all the faffing about, deflection and manipulation talk, just give a straight answer or ignore if you wish...
But even if they passionately wanted death to the person who murdered their loved one, it's neither here nor there because Dezzy also said he believes there's no room for emotion in a court of law so therefore his stance would remain.

Now you can process that and understand it or continue to ignore it if you wish.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:20 AM #83

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But even if they passionately wanted death to the person who murdered their loved one, it's neither here nor there because Dezzy also said he believes there's no room for emotion in a court of law so therefore his stance would remain.

Now you can process that and understand it or continue to ignore it if you wish.
You keep referring to a court of law, WHY? I'm referring to a persons own feelings, how many times do I have to say it.
So they can passionately want death for revenge for their loved one, but not for someone else's loved one? They only want CP when it is personal to them?

Last edited by jet; 15-12-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:23 AM #84

Quote:
You keep referring to a court of law, WHY? I'm referring to a persons own feelings, how many times do I have to say it.
So they can passionately want death for revenge for their loved one, but not for someone else's loved one? They only want CP when it is personal to them?
Capital punishment involves the court of law. If you're asking people whether or not they agree with passing a LAW then there's nothing else you're going to discuss.

Re-read, his feelings on CP stress he feels emotion should have no input into deciding, therefore clearly... obviously to anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension knows he feels should a loved one of his be murdered, his emotions wouldn't produce a rational decision on the subject matter.

Last edited by Marsh.; 15-12-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:27 AM #85
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Capital punishment involves the court of law. If you're asking people whether or not they agree with passing a LAW then there's nothing else you're going to discuss.

Re-read, his feelings on CP stress he feels emotion should have no input into deciding, therefore clearly... obviously to anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension knows he feels should a loved one of his be murdered, his emotions wouldn't produce a rational decision on the subject matter.
Exactly. Spot on.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:29 AM #86
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It's a question that has no relevance because I've already said I don't want to cheapen my personal experiences for the sake of an argument and I thought you would have respected that like a decent person would.

Last edited by Tom4784; 15-12-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:33 AM #87

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

So what would his decision be, rational or otherwise, as you are his spokesperson?
Old 15-12-2017, 12:34 AM #88
Banned

Banned

Quote:
So what would his decision be, rational or otherwise, as you are his spokesperson?
He is someone who has simply read and understood what I have said.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:35 AM #89

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's a question that has no relevance because I've already said I don't want to cheapen my personal experiences for the sake of an argument and I thought you would have respected that like a decent person would.
I missed that, so okay, I do respect that. Consider the subject closed.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:50 AM #90

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry. Did I stumble into yours and Dezzy's private messaging inbox?

Here was me thinking you were posting on a public forum I was entitled to respond to. Silly me.
Old 15-12-2017, 05:21 AM #91

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

No,Too much to go wrong.
I am in favour of terrorists being shot on site though and life actually meaning life in prison.
That way,If someone is found to be wrongfully convicted it is reversible.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 05:35 AM #92
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I actually feel it would be a massive backwards step, and a bit of a cop out too if I'm honest many killers try kill themselves when they're caught to escape the punishment of prison, this seems like playing into their hands and giving them what they want.
Old 15-12-2017, 06:06 AM #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah Christmas View Post
I used to think no, but in certain cases I agree with it. You might know about that family who died in a fire, the mum and the children recently and it's near where I live. A few people have been arrested, and basically the guy not only set fire to the house with innocent children in it but also got his mates to set fire to all escape routes - they knew what they were doing.

Now I'm not saying lets hung, drawn and quarter them in public like medieval times, but privately, and in this case and in similar cases, make sure it's painful.

You missed the word "Private" in your title

Should A New Private Capital Punishment be Brought In.

Yes it should.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 06:14 AM #94

Quote:
I find that people who think that prison is some sort of Hi-de-Hi holiday camp either have no experiences of prison, whether it's being sent to one, visiting one or knowing someone personally that's never been to one.

I've never been to prison but I know plenty that have and none of them think it's a holiday.
You can't presume to know what people know or don't tbh and you are normally the first to call people out on that. I don't think prison is a hi de hi holiday camp but o don't think its tough enough to act as a deterrent and yes I know people who have been in prison who say its an easy life. I also know plenty of prisoner officers who will confirm that too.
Old 15-12-2017, 06:17 AM #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
No,Too much to go wrong.
I am in favour of terrorists being shot on site though and life actually meaning life in prison.
That way,If someone is found to be wrongfully convicted it is reversible.
I don't agree with that terrorists being put to death as it immortalises them as martyrs who dies for the cause and they become idolised by people....let them rot in jail
Old 15-12-2017, 06:26 AM #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas treeza View Post
I actually feel it would be a massive backwards step, and a bit of a cop out too if I'm honest many killers try kill themselves when they're caught to escape the punishment of prison, this seems like playing into their hands and giving them what they want.
Never get a Parliament Vote through
if its Hanging.

Due to justice problems
of course.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 06:53 AM #97
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas treeza View Post
No they dont
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 06:54 AM #98
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:

You know plenty of people who have been in prison?

really?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 06:55 AM #99

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post
Why is killing a child rapist in the middle east with the parents watching backward

is letting him live for 30 years watching sky, wanking over children and his rapes and playing a ps4 progress??

i dont think so

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 07:03 AM #100

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

For those people who think it's terribly wrong to kill someone who has inflicted fear and pain onto kids and people,and a lifetime of unhappiness for their families, but it's ok to do the very same to some animals so you can eat them, that sounds logical.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, brought, capital, punishment