Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 05-04-2023, 01:06 PM #576
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

that episode with Magic Johnson

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:57 AM #577
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

yes it is a good series definitely, Peyton Elizabeth Lee (lead actress Doogie) very strong new acting talent for sure, and her chemistry with Jason Scott Lee (her character's dad in the series) really amazing

also lovely seeing daily show's Ronny Chieng as Dr Lee, very funny scenes with him too

Alex Aiono as Walter, i knew him more from music covers on youtube but he is a decent actor too

Old 12-04-2023, 03:27 AM #578
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Well I'm one episode away from finishing Season 1 and tbh I'm still very conflicted on my feelings towards the Show.

I really like Alice as a character, imo all of her scenes have been the most interesting and fun to watch, I feel like the Show has also been smart on not overplaying her as well, they're doing great stuff there so far.

Luther by and large is also a good character and Idris Elba is doing a strong acting performance, it's interesting having a lead in a Cop Show with a more jaded personality.

However my issues with Luther.

1. Luther's ex-Wife and her boyfriend bring a lot of Soap Opera tendencies to the Show, they're not the only Soapy element in the Show imo, because that case in episode 4 has some elements of that **** in there, and to me it throws me off because on the other hand they're trying to be a more gritty Crime series but then the Show will add EastEnders-esque scenes which honestly confuses me on what this Show is even trying to go for.

2. What is the UK TV's obsession with everyone having to shout to express emotion? I thought that the Japanese can overdo it sometimes, but **** me Luther as a Show will just force shouting scenes in just for ****s and giggles.

3. I honestly don't like how the rest of Luther's team hardly get developed, it's like the Show just sees them as stock characters and can't be bothered to give them material.

Spoiler:

The one supporting character in Ian is headed in an interesting direction going into the Season 1 finale, however to coincide with my issue from earlier, he needed to be focused on more than he was before this big plot point happened to make it have even more impact, it's a clever idea and I did still find it entertaining what he did I'm not going to lie, but a lack of character development prior to this move just feels sudden and not very well thought out imo.

I'll definitely give Season 2 a shot (as long as the Season 1 finale isn't chronic) but I want the supporting cast to actually be developed (I'm not watching FBI: International here) and preferably that the Soap Opera elements are largely eradicated in Season 2 onwards.
I've finally finished Season 2.

It's just not my type of Show tbh, I'll try to see it through because I've dropped a lot of Live Action Shows recently, but I really don't like the fact after two Seasons most of the cast have the personality of a Goldfish.

Imo Alice is the star character of the Show with her dynamic with Luther, but due to the nature of her character I do understand that she can't be in the Show regularly, and this is why it's really urgent for this Show to have someone else that's well written in the cast to help Luther carry the Show.

But instead we get Soap Opera characters and severely underwritten characters in the dark haired Copper's case who I don't even know the name of because he is so underwritten.

Tbf the underwritten issue is the biggest problem with Luther, because at least some people will get a kick out of the Soap Opera segments, who in their right mind wants characters to have zero character development like half of this cast gets? And I'm being generous saying half.

The Show is failing at rule 101 of a TV Show, make most of your characters interesting to watch, not just one or two of them.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:31 AM #579
Sod orf

Sod orf

You should start on the original Prisoner Cell block H Mystic. My generation of night owls grew up on that and it's cult classic.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:42 AM #580

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
You should start on the original Prisoner Cell block H Mystic. My generation of night owls grew up on that and it's cult classic.
I'm not sure if it'll be my kind of Show tbh.

But I am open to being proven wrong.

KRO!
Old 15-04-2023, 04:01 AM #581

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I've finally finished Season 2.

It's just not my type of Show tbh, I'll try to see it through because I've dropped a lot of Live Action Shows recently, but I really don't like the fact after two Seasons most of the cast have the personality of a Goldfish.

Imo Alice is the star character of the Show with her dynamic with Luther, but due to the nature of her character I do understand that she can't be in the Show regularly, and this is why it's really urgent for this Show to have someone else that's well written in the cast to help Luther carry the Show.

But instead we get Soap Opera characters and severely underwritten characters in the dark haired Copper's case who I don't even know the name of because he is so underwritten.

Tbf the underwritten issue is the biggest problem with Luther, because at least some people will get a kick out of the Soap Opera segments, who in their right mind wants characters to have zero character development like half of this cast gets? And I'm being generous saying half.

The Show is failing at rule 101 of a TV Show, make most of your characters interesting to watch, not just one or two of them.
To update my opinion on Luther after watching Season 3's finale.

I personally found the season to be more entertaining than Season 2, but my god this season had some severe inconsistencies with it's character writing.

First off to start off positive, well done to the Show for finally using Justin
Spoiler:

it's just a shame that they killed him off as they were starting to actually develop him.

Oh and another positive for the season is I did like the first case, especially when he is stalking the two girls from the closet, it reminded me of an iconic Slasher Movie.

Now moving on to the negatives for me.

1. The prostitute girl from Season 2 just vanished with no explanation as to what happened to her, this happened with the original boss in Season 2, but I just put it down to the Show having early teething problems and didn't think much of it, but when it happens again it does have to be called out as lazy writing.

2. Luther & Mary's relationship drama was uniquely terrible, the main issue I had with it was how they'd only met each other for a few days and they were already madly in love with each other.

3. It missed Alice not being in it much.

4. The second case really bothered me, it starts off interesting imo with this vigilante that's lost his Wife and basically has become jaded with our justice system and has therefore taken the law into his own hands. Then in the next episode he for no reason starts kidnapping pregnant women, and trying to kill innocent civilians, basically within two episodes we're getting two totally different personalities being portrayed in the one character, it's rewriting the character's personality with no real buildup to make it believable imo.

5. The entire Erin Gray storyline with Brendan Rodgers was a waste of everyone's time imo as it ends up not really going anywhere, and again Erin's personality from Season 2 did not carry over into Season 3, it's like her and the Vigilante guy have split personalities but the writers forgot to inform us about it.

Overall though at least it gave me more of a talking point than Season 2, even if it was really badly written.

Imo I feel like Seasons 2 & 3 have been used as stop gap seasons until they can draft Alice back into the story properly again.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 15-04-2023 at 04:02 AM.
Old 19-04-2023, 01:42 PM #582
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

season 2 of Doogie Kamealoha is great so far as well, almost finished it, 2 more eps to go

(hope it gets renewed for third season)

so many great characters too another good hit series from Disney for me

Old 19-04-2023, 01:45 PM #583
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

really nice staying true to hawaiian culture, also deserves a mention last eps of season 1, original hawaii five-o star Al Harrington having had his final role in this too as Uncle John, and a lovely in memory of too, with the famous hawaiian over the rainbow cover version

Old 19-04-2023, 07:23 PM #584

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Only Murders In The Building, it's a quirky comedy drama with Steve Martin & Martin Short.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 08:08 PM #585

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Only Murders In The Building, it's a quirky comedy drama with Steve Martin & Martin Short.
God that Show was terrible imo.

Hopefully you're enjoying it though.

KRO!
Old 20-04-2023, 01:17 AM #586

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To update my opinion on Luther after watching Season 3's finale.

I personally found the season to be more entertaining than Season 2, but my god this season had some severe inconsistencies with it's character writing.

First off to start off positive, well done to the Show for finally using Justin
Spoiler:

it's just a shame that they killed him off as they were starting to actually develop him.

Oh and another positive for the season is I did like the first case, especially when he is stalking the two girls from the closet, it reminded me of an iconic Slasher Movie.

Now moving on to the negatives for me.

1. The prostitute girl from Season 2 just vanished with no explanation as to what happened to her, this happened with the original boss in Season 2, but I just put it down to the Show having early teething problems and didn't think much of it, but when it happens again it does have to be called out as lazy writing.

2. Luther & Mary's relationship drama was uniquely terrible, the main issue I had with it was how they'd only met each other for a few days and they were already madly in love with each other.

3. It missed Alice not being in it much.

4. The second case really bothered me, it starts off interesting imo with this vigilante that's lost his Wife and basically has become jaded with our justice system and has therefore taken the law into his own hands. Then in the next episode he for no reason starts kidnapping pregnant women, and trying to kill innocent civilians, basically within two episodes we're getting two totally different personalities being portrayed in the one character, it's rewriting the character's personality with no real buildup to make it believable imo.

5. The entire Erin Gray storyline with Brendan Rodgers was a waste of everyone's time imo as it ends up not really going anywhere, and again Erin's personality from Season 2 did not carry over into Season 3, it's like her and the Vigilante guy have split personalities but the writers forgot to inform us about it.

Overall though at least it gave me more of a talking point than Season 2, even if it was really badly written.

Imo I feel like Seasons 2 & 3 have been used as stop gap seasons until they can draft Alice back into the story properly again.
I'm on the last ever episode of Luther tomorrow, it's been quite the journey with this Show.

Season 4 was only two episodes so nothing interesting really happens in the Season.

Season 5 I would say might be Luther's best made Season imo, I don't really love the Season, but it's definitely better polished in the writing department compared to Seasons 2, 3 & 4 imo. And it's far less like watching an episode of EastEnders which is a massive improvement for a Crime Drama that's trying to be gritty and playing around with psychological themes.

I would also say that it's nice to have Alice back full time again, and the cast being better utilized than usual for Luther, and DS Catherine Halliday is the type of character that Luther has needed for a long time imo.

The flaws in the Season imo (because it is Luther after all) there can't be a Season that goes by where it hasn't done something stupid, but here it goes.

Spoiler:

Killing Benny off in the same episode that he was rescued was a bit pointless even rescuing him in the first place imo, at least space the abduction and his actual death apart from each other a little bit.

2. The Show actually trying to make Luther and Alice's ship cannon, I'm never really comfortable with protagonist & psychopath shipping that certain Shows like to pull off, it's just dumb writing.

Overall I'll rank favourite Luther Season's in this order.

1. Season 5
2. Season 1
3. Season 3
4. Season 4
5. Season 2 - I have a lot of issues with this particular Season.

Overall I'd say that Luther is an alright Show, but I definitely think that there are better Crime Shows out there, especially if you escape how stiff the UK Shows can be and go for a US Cop Show.

And yes for once I have complimented American TV.

KRO!
Old 20-04-2023, 01:31 AM #587

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I'm only on season 1 but so far i'm enjoying it , mainly due to the funny double act Steve Martin & Martin Short ...as they work well together.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 04:08 AM #588

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I'm only on season 1 but so far i'm enjoying it , mainly due to the funny double act Steve Martin & Martin Short ...as they work well together.
That's fair enough.

KRO!
Old 20-04-2023, 01:53 PM #589
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:

anything with Steve Martin is pure comedy gold though

the chemistry especially between two generations (Steve Martin, Martin Short) and (Selena Gomez) is also amazing

lots of good guest roles too, Sting, Shirley MacLaine (we have Meryl Streep confirmed to appear in the upcoming season 3)

also Nathan Lane's role very good either (i always have liked him since Mousehunt)

i've been a Selenator since her beginning of career in Wizards of Waverly Place (which i'm rewatching too as we speak) her sarcastic sense of humour is awesome

Old 23-04-2023, 06:03 AM #590

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

anything with Steve Martin is pure comedy gold though

the chemistry especially between two generations (Steve Martin, Martin Short) and (Selena Gomez) is also amazing

lots of good guest roles too, Sting, Shirley MacLaine (we have Meryl Streep confirmed to appear in the upcoming season 3)

also Nathan Lane's role very good either (i always have liked him since Mousehunt)

i've been a Selenator since her beginning of career in Wizards of Waverly Place (which i'm rewatching too as we speak) her sarcastic sense of humour is awesome
My issues with the Show was that I think that I only laughed I think twice in the Season, which for a Show that has Comedy as one of it's genre tags that is an issue for me.

And I felt that the Whodunnit aspect is very, very basic imo, even kids Shows like Fillmore used to do better at developing their cases.

And then ultimately I didn't really like the characters.

Fair enough that you like it though, obviously differing opinions is always a good thing in the TV industry.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 23-04-2023 at 06:06 AM.
Old 23-04-2023, 06:30 AM #591

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I've watched the first three episodes of Ted Lasso.

So far I am going to give it a pass as I do like the basic aspects of the Show, and can even accept the cheesy optimism of Lasso himself given that it's intentionally meant to come off that way, plus in an age where TV likes to be miserable it is a nice change of pace.

I do have my issues though.

1. The Show does suffer from being slightly woke (I know that the word is overused) but it can get on it's soap box in the odd scene here or there, two scenes that really spring to mind as blatant pandering to a "woke crowd" if you will was the opening scene in the pilot doing a Parody of Trump with the Manager that got sacked which is just boring at this point. We get it Trump is a dick, I doubt that many people would disagree with that statement, but the Hollywood scene is nearly as obsessed with him as his die hard supporters which is bizarre given that Hollywood hates him. Oh and the scene with Sam I think his name is, where he says to Lasso that he basically doesn't want one of those Army Men Action Figures because of "Imperialism" that's just forcing political dialogue into what should be a more fun, chill and harmless scene overall. Oh and there was a third incident where they had to have a Schoolgirl (around secondary School) beat one of the Schoolboys at Football. Now look if this stuff was happening more spaced out throughout the Show's three Season run I probably wouldn't think twice about it, but I would be lying if three separate incidents of a typically "woke" leaning is happening all within the first three episodes, it could just be a coincidence, but I doubt it as modern Hollywood does love to be Politically extreme in some form or another.

2. Is my usual pet peeve of a Love Triangle forming in the Show between Jamie, Roy & Keeley possibly forming as I hate that ****, especially if it's going to get a lot of focus.

3. The Show does overuse the word "wanker" imo.

As I've said I do like aspects of the Show.

1. Seeing a Slice Of Life take on Football is an interesting idea that I would like to see done maybe for other Sports in Live Action.

2. Ted Lasso is a likable character that can be funny most of the time imo.

3. I do like Nate as a character, his awkwardness does make me laugh.

4. Coach Beard and Lasso's dynamic with each other along with Rebecca and Higgins dynamic with each other are strong for the Show imo.

So overall I do like the Show, it's just modern writing standards is probably going to test me a little bit.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 23-04-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 25-04-2023, 01:51 PM #592
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

first episode of True Lies

hmmmmm i guess i kinda like it

the leads aren't as perfect as Arnie & Jamie Lee in the film obviously, but they're decent castings

in terms of other castings

Gib here is played by Omar Miller (Walter Simmons in CSI Miami, voice of Raphael in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

Trilby (in the film Charlton Heston, and here a version played by Beverly D'Angelo, best known for Ellen Griswold in the Vacation films, damn Bev has changed a lot, she channels a bit of a Linda Hamilton vibe here)

Old 25-04-2023, 01:54 PM #593
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Yellow Jackets is very good

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 05:54 PM #594

Quote:
I've watched the first three episodes of Ted Lasso.

So far I am going to give it a pass as I do like the basic aspects of the Show, and can even accept the cheesy optimism of Lasso himself given that it's intentionally meant to come off that way, plus in an age where TV likes to be miserable it is a nice change of pace.

I do have my issues though.

1. The Show does suffer from being slightly woke (I know that the word is overused) but it can get on it's soap box in the odd scene here or there, two scenes that really spring to mind as blatant pandering to a "woke crowd" if you will was the opening scene in the pilot doing a Parody of Trump with the Manager that got sacked which is just boring at this point. We get it Trump is a dick, I doubt that many people would disagree with that statement, but the Hollywood scene is nearly as obsessed with him as his die hard supporters which is bizarre given that Hollywood hates him. Oh and the scene with Sam I think his name is, where he says to Lasso that he basically doesn't want one of those Army Men Action Figures because of "Imperialism" that's just forcing political dialogue into what should be a more fun, chill and harmless scene overall. Oh and there was a third incident where they had to have a Schoolgirl (around secondary School) beat one of the Schoolboys at Football. Now look if this stuff was happening more spaced out throughout the Show's three Season run I probably wouldn't think twice about it, but I would be lying if three separate incidents of a typically "woke" leaning is happening all within the first three episodes, it could just be a coincidence, but I doubt it as modern Hollywood does love to be Politically extreme in some form or another.

2. Is my usual pet peeve of a Love Triangle forming in the Show between Jamie, Roy & Keeley possibly forming as I hate that ****, especially if it's going to get a lot of focus.

3. The Show does overuse the word "wanker" imo.

As I've said I do like aspects of the Show.

1. Seeing a Slice Of Life take on Football is an interesting idea that I would like to see done maybe for other Sports in Live Action.

2. Ted Lasso is a likable character that can be funny most of the time imo.

3. I do like Nate as a character, his awkwardness does make me laugh.

4. Coach Beard and Lasso's dynamic with each other along with Rebecca and Higgins dynamic with each other are strong for the Show imo.

So overall I do like the Show, it's just modern writing standards is probably going to test me a little bit.
I was sceptical of Ted Lasso at first, but I ended up really liking it.

Haven't watched any of S3 yet. I am going to wait until I can watch it on a month's subscription.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 06:36 PM #595

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I was sceptical of Ted Lasso at first, but I ended up really liking it.

Haven't watched any of S3 yet. I am going to wait until I can watch it on a month's subscription.
Tbf I think the Show has it's good points.

It's just I was left feeling unsure on if I'd watch three Seasons of it.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it though, and good luck with Season 3, I hope that you enjoy it.

KRO!
Old 26-04-2023, 05:59 AM #596

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I've watched the first 5 episodes of an Anime called Knights Of Sidonia.

So far I'm enjoying it, it's basically Battlestar Galactica the Anime.

I mean tbf there are differences between them, but the Gauna are playing the role of the Cylons, whilst the Sidonia crew are the Galactica crew in the sense of trying to survive a deadly enemy determined to wipe the entire Human Race out.

The Anime is CGI Animated for those that don't like that particular Animation style, but personally I'm enjoying the Show.

KRO!
Old 27-04-2023, 05:18 PM #597

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I've just caught a bit of The Diplomat on Netflix.

Admittedly I've caught a random episode as my Mom was initially watching it by herself, but how the **** is this programme scoring an 8.2 on IMDB?

The Husband alone should knock it down to at least a 6, possibly lower.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 27-04-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:27 AM #598

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I've watched the first 5 episodes of an Anime called Knights Of Sidonia.

So far I'm enjoying it, it's basically Battlestar Galactica the Anime.

I mean tbf there are differences between them, but the Gauna are playing the role of the Cylons, whilst the Sidonia crew are the Galactica crew in the sense of trying to survive a deadly enemy determined to wipe the entire Human Race out.

The Anime is CGI Animated for those that don't like that particular Animation style, but personally I'm enjoying the Show.
I'm halfway through Season 2.

I still like aspects of the Anime, but I don't like the Alien creature that they've drafted into the Show, she's slowing the pacing down of the actual plot, and imo a lot of the content surrounding her is filler, especially in the last two episodes that I've watched (which were 5 & 6) but tbf to the Alien character I do believe that the writer doesn't quite know where to take the story at the moment, especially when the Kunato stuff is clearly being saved for the finale.

I feel like Season 1 was better crafted in it's first six episodes, but hopefully Season 2 can prove me wrong.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 02-05-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:16 AM #599

Really enjoying Carnival Row ..

With the story lines and the photograph and cast .

Oddly enough , I think it would have worked without all the mythological beings .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:31 PM #600
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Just started watching Citadel on prime, and i'm really enjoying it