Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:18 PM #1
Namaste

Namaste

Default Ordeal By Innocence | BBC One, 3 Part Agatha Christie Adaptation

I had no idea this had started this past Sunday until this evening so that was a nice surprise. It was originally slated to air over Christmas last year like "And Then There Were None" and "Witness for the Prosecution" but was postponed after the Ed Westwick accusations (his scenes have been reshot with Christian Cooke), I was expecting it to be delayed until summer or autumn.

Anyway I enjoyed the opening episode. I've seen the Miss Marple version with Geraldine McEwan years ago so assuming they keep the killer the same I already know who did it but the same went for ATTWN and that didn't dampen my enjoyment of it.

Last edited by Lostie!; 03-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:47 PM #2

I'm really liking it so far, but then I knew I would. Great cast as usual, and good execution considering the circumstances with Ed Westwick and having to refilm last minute. Looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited by Ashley.; 03-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:00 PM #3
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
I'm really liking it so far, but then I knew I would. Great cast as usual, and good execution considering the circumstances with Ed Westwick and having to refilm last minute. Looking forward to the next episode.
I read that Alice Eve who plays Gwenda Vaughn wasn't able to return for reshoots so her scenes were edited into the reshot ones. I'd have had no idea.

Speaking of Gwenda, she was much nicer in the Miss Marple version so I was surprised by how unlikeable this one is
Old 15-04-2018, 09:34 PM #4
Namaste

Namaste

Well I bloody loved that final episode As expected some people are annoyed about how much they changed it but I thought it was all great.

I was all prepared to be underwhelmed, not because I already knew who the original killer was but because of how blatantly suspicious they were making her and I was hoping for a different killer just for that reason so I was very happy. Kirsten (conspiring with Jack) being the killer worked really well in the Marple version I watched (and presumably the book too which I need to read) but I think Leo doing it was a much better ending for this particular version since they were trying to make Kirsten and Jack seem guilty so hard whereas Leo seemed to be the sole trustworthy character. And he was my main hope for the killer if they did change it for that reason so yeah, very satisfying for me.

Kirsten being Jack's mother was a huge surprise since, again, with me being familiar with the earlier versions where they're actually secret lovers (and definitely not related ) I was expecting that so this was a massive swerve.

I felt Philip's death was a bit of a loose end, they barely addressed it but I'm assuming Leo killed him rather than the accidental overdose explanation.

I believe The ABC Murders is next to be adapted. Hopefully we get it in the usual Christmas slot this year
Old 15-04-2018, 09:38 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
Well I bloody loved that final episode As expected some people are annoyed about how much they changed it but I thought it was all great.

I was all prepared to be underwhelmed, not because I already knew who the original killer was but because of how blatantly suspicious they were making her and I was hoping for a different killer just for that reason so I was very happy. Kirsten (conspiring with Jack) being the killer worked really well in the Marple version I watched (and presumably the book too which I need to read) but I think Leo doing it was a much better ending for this particular version since they were trying to make Kirsten and Jack seem guilty so hard whereas Leo seemed to be the sole trustworthy character. And he was my main hope for the killer if they did change it for that reason so yeah, very satisfying for me.

Kirsten being Jack's mother was a huge surprise since, again, with me being familiar with the earlier versions where they're actually secret lovers (and definitely not related ) I was expecting that so this was a massive swerve.

I felt Philip's death was a bit of a loose end, they barely addressed it but I'm assuming Leo killed him rather than the accidental overdose explanation.

I believe The ABC Murders is next to be adapted. Hopefully we get it in the usual Christmas slot this year
Definitely looking forward to this one
Old 15-04-2018, 09:52 PM #6

Loved the arty titles. Not as good as And Then There Were None but beautiful nonetheless.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 09:58 PM #7
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Definitely looking forward to this one
It was a great episode of David Suchet's Poirot series. Very much looking forward to it having the Sarah Phelps treatment (where it's likely to be extra grim if these first 3 adaptations are anything to go by )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Loved the arty titles. Not as good as And Then There Were None but beautiful nonetheless.
I hope you scrolled past my big post up there if you're bloody watching it now!

But yeah I loved the titles

Last edited by Lostie!; 15-04-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 15-04-2018, 10:04 PM #8

Oh and Lostie

Spoiler:

Why did Gwenda have blood on her face? My mind skipped past that bit and I assume I'm missing something obvious?
Old 15-04-2018, 10:10 PM #9
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Oh and Lostie

Spoiler:

Why did Gwenda have blood on her face? My mind skipped past that bit and I assume I'm missing something obvious?
I think from when Rachel clobbered her

Rachel was such a fascinating character. Terrible in many ways but compelling.
Old 15-04-2018, 10:20 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
I think from when Rachel clobbered her

Rachel was such a fascinating character. Terrible in many ways but compelling.
She was. I think you have to be careful with "whodunnits" because it's not always possible that the character is going to come off as unlikable as the writer intends. You need to believe that these people really had the motives to actually kill her, so props to the producers of this and of course Agatha Christie for being able to pull it off.

The setting really helps, too, without all the advanced technology, 'political correctness' and recent laws. You get the raw drama.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
adaptation, agatha, bbc, christie, innocence, ordeal, part