Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:18 AM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Default ‘Dismantle whiteness’ mural installed at USC

'Dismantle Whiteness' Mural Installed At USC
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29321...-usc-paul-bois

Quote:
'Dismantle Whiteness' Mural Installed At USC
"The installation is intended to spark dialogue"

The University of Southern California (USC) has joined the fight to "dismantle whiteness" by erecting an artistic mural designed to spark a conversation on "racism, sexism and xenophobia."

According to The College Fix, the "dismantle whiteness" mural was erected by the "feminist artist collective When Women Disrupt in conjunction with students in the class 'Women: Designing Media for Social Change.'"

"Recently installed at an entrance to the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism building, it depicts large sketch drawings of four women of color on walls flanking the doorway with the words 'DISMANTLE WHITENESS AND MISOGYNY ON THIS CAMPUS' posted on the ceiling above it," reports The Fix.

Communications Professor Alison Trope told The Fix that the mural, which castigates white people in a way that would be racist if applied toward blacks, is designed to spark a dialogue.

"The installation is intended to spark dialogue,” Trope said. "To that end, the signage is meant to offer grounding of terms and ideas. There is no expectation that everyone agree with the statement offered by the artists, but hopefully viewers can acknowledge the experience of peers on campus around these issues."

“In fact, the text was derived from conversations with students about race, gender and class issues on campus. There have already been many generative conversations prompted by the work—by those who align with the sentiments and those who do not,” she said.

The group responsible for the installation, When Women Disrupt, describe themselves as “an intersectional feminist artist collective.”

“Since the summer of 2017, WWD has traveled all throughout the United States installing small and large scale art which call attention to racism, sexism and xenophobia," says a flyer describing the group. "By confronting communities in the public space with art that uplifts the voices and sacredness of people whom history has often rendered invisible and less than human, WWD’s intention is to provoke greater discussion and thinking about the institutionalized and everyday systems of power and representation that reinforce racism, patriarchy, and inequality."

Displayed at the exhibit is an information flyer that explains exactly what it means by "whiteness."

“Distinct from being white, whiteness refers to an unmarked and unnamed place of advantage, privilege or domination; a lens through which white people tend to see themselves and others; an organizing principle that shapes institutions, policies, and social relations," says the flyer.

While certainly provocative on its own, an article in The Daily Trojan says that several students were upset that the mural was not placed in a more-traveled area, accusing the administration of concealing it.

“It’s placed in a very hidden area of campus where it’s not usually seen and I think that speaks to the administration and how they want to frame and direct the conversation and the impact — the fact that it is inward-facing not outward facing — all of these factors are intentional from the administration and I think this project would have been much more powerful if the artists were given more freedom,” said one student.

Trope feels the administration should have put the installation on Watt Way, a more public area. “It’s disappointing to me because I think it could have had a great impact on our community in terms of spurring dialogue and conversation about race and gender and campus climate,” Trope said.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

How embarrassing that a place of education endorses crap like that.

Last edited by Oliver_W; 12-04-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:06 AM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM #4
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The idea that people find this acceptable

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 AM #5
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

if it had been any term other than whiteness there would have been riots
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:09 AM #6
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

I honestly don't get what this is supposed to achieve, do they think people will see this and think "Lets have a calm rational discussion"? It's just childish divisive tactics, it actually makes it more impossible to have calm rational debates.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:16 AM #7
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The idea that people find this acceptable
Some people think only white people are capable of racism, it probably comes from that train of "thought".

Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM #8

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

This is the type of thing that causes problems, not solves them. The word whiteness smacks of racism really.

What they could have said is let's support inclusiveness and equality, but nooooo, they didn't.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 12-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:38 AM #9
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Some people think only white people are capable of racism, it probably comes from that train of "thought".
incredible really, two wrongs don't make a right

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM #10
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i tell you what is most wrong with this sign. They are condoning racism with something that should be outlawed (misogeny) It's not a rational sign.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM #11
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i tell you what is most wrong with this sign. They are condoning racism with something that should be outlawed (misogeny) It's not a rational sign.
They don't even see it as racist though, because they believe in the "power+privilege" thing. It's just a really stupid sign. At least the administration placed it in a quieter area of campus.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM #12
Banned

Banned

Terrible choice of words that will cause people to disregard what they have to say regardless of if they have a point or not. They should have replaced 'whiteness' with 'racism' tbh.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:25 PM #13

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Terrible choice of words that will cause people to disregard what they have to say regardless of if they have a point or not. They should have replaced 'whiteness' with 'racism' tbh.
Exactly.You can’t fight racism with more racism.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM #14

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

The jocks are a traditional part of campus life in the usa so they can forget mysogyny..

Whiteness is a good one, is that like no bad dancing, larger penises for the boys and nice big bootys for the girls.

Sounds not to bad to me.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 PM #15

Quote:
It's not really meant to be a sign though, isn't it meant to be a piece of art? If that's the case I don't really see the problem with it tbh? I think the point behind it's message is valid (i'm assuming 'whiteness' in terms of a power structure) and I think it's good for people to talk about that stuff. I suppose like Dezzy said they could have worded it differently to appease people, but in the context that I'm assuming it was meant, I don't really get why it's so offensive.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 PM #16
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
It's not really meant to be a sign though, isn't it meant to be a piece of art? If that's the case I don't really see the problem with it tbh? I think the point behind it's message is valid (i'm assuming 'whiteness' in terms of a power structure) and I think it's good for people to talk about that stuff. I suppose like Dezzy said they could have worded it differently to appease people, but in the context that I'm assuming it was meant, I don't really get why it's so offensive.
If they have to explain what they mean by "whiteness" in a flyer, the message of the artwork fails. The continued existence of "white privilege" is disputable in itself, so just calling it racism would have been the best way forward.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 PM #17

Quote:
If they have to explain what they mean by "whiteness" in a flyer, the message of the artwork fails. The continued existence of "white privilege" is disputable in itself, so just calling it racism would have been the best way forward.
If it said 'dismantle racism' though I think most people would agree with that and there wouldn't be much of a conversation, just people agreeing at a nice sentiment. And although white privilege has the effect of causing racism, it's still a topic in its own right of which people have a lot of different views and experiences. So I don't see what's wrong with the conversation happening or those people being heard. Like they say, people don't have to agree with the statement. They just want people to think about it.

Also I don't think them explaining what they mean by whiteness means that it fails, the point of the piece isn't to test what people understand the word 'whiteness' to mean. And any art installation in a gallery for example will have a piece of writing attached explaining aspects of it (and it's probably even more necessary when it's something potentially inflammatory where people might get the wrong impression if it's not considered in context).

Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 PM #18
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If it said 'dismantle racism' though I think most people would agree with that and there wouldn't be much of a conversation, just people agreeing at a nice sentiment. And although white privilege has the effect of causing racism, it's still a topic in its own right of which people have a lot of different views and experiences. So I don't see what's wrong with the conversation happening or those people being heard. Like they say, people don't have to agree with the statement. They just want people to think about it.

Also I don't think them explaining what they mean by whiteness means that it fails, the point of the piece isn't to test what people understand the word 'whiteness' to mean. And any art installation in a gallery for example will have a piece of writing attached explaining aspects of it (and it's probably even more necessary when it's something potentially inflammatory where people might get the wrong impression if it's not considered in context).
What productive discussions are there to be had about "whiteness" ? White privilege is all-but defunct, and everyone agrees that racism is bad. The only conversations it's sparked so far are about its choice of wording.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 PM #19

Quote:
What productive discussions are there to be had about "whiteness" ? White privilege is all-but defunct, and everyone agrees that racism is bad. The only conversations it's sparked so far are about its choice of wording.
Not everyone agrees that white privilege is defunct though, so I suppose the conversations would be about that and people making the cases for and against and sharing their experiences. I really don't see the problem in that tbh.
I agree though that talking about the wording is pretty meaningless. Maybe the students on campus are having discussions about what the piece is saying, according to the article the only complaint is that it isn't more prominent.

Old 13-04-2018, 08:13 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
All VALID points. They may be 'Highbrows' but they certainly lack any 'Common Sense'.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 08:51 AM #21
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Not everyone agrees that white privilege is defunct though, so I suppose the conversations would be about that and people making the cases for and against and sharing their experiences. I really don't see the problem in that tbh.
I agree though that talking about the wording is pretty meaningless. Maybe the students on campus are having discussions about what the piece is saying, according to the article the only complaint is that it isn't more prominent.
It should have been focused on equality for all, not attacking a group with a perceived advantage. Its just the wrong message. How can anyone possible describe the sign as art, it is quite clearly a political message and to describe it as art is misleading and disingenuous
Old 13-04-2018, 03:35 PM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It should have been focused on equality for all, not attacking a group with a perceived advantage. Its just the wrong message. How can anyone possible describe the sign as art, it is quite clearly a political message and to describe it as art is misleading and disingenuous
Indeed.This ‘whiteness’ is in much the same vain as the lefts antisemitism.The idea of the jews holding all the power,Rothschilds and Jewish bankers controling everything.It’s an excuse for racism.This sign is racist and wouldn’t be permitted if it said ‘Blackness’ with a load of stereotypes listed under.
Racism shouldn’t be tolerated from anyone.You don’t get a free pass cos you’re black or ‘progessive’.
Old 13-04-2018, 03:38 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
All VALID points. They may be 'Highbrows' but they certainly lack any 'Common Sense'.
Unfortunately where certain ideologies are involved “common sense” is an unwanted distraction.
Old 13-04-2018, 06:31 PM #24
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Indeed.This ‘whiteness’ is in much the same vain as the lefts antisemitism.The idea of the jews holding all the power,Rothschilds and Jewish bankers controling everything.It’s an excuse for racism.This sign is racist and wouldn’t be permitted if it said ‘Blackness’ with a load of stereotypes listed under.
Racism shouldn’t be tolerated from anyone.You don’t get a free pass cos you’re black or ‘progessive’.
You certainly don’t. Just the usual double standards.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 07:00 PM #25

Good idea but silly in practice and will only cause more divisions than it hopes to fix.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
installed, mural, usc, whiteness’, ‘dismantle