Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 AM #26
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
By no stretch of the imagination is it possible to know that 24 hours after the attack. It may well be, but the full story won't be known for months, by which point the press wont be very interested and the public won't be interested at all.
He was filmed being led away though shouting Allalhu Akbar, of course he may be mentally ill etc etc, but the bottom line is random knife attacks on strangers wasn't that common or common at all before ISIS, and even if he isn't a terrorist per se, it was a terrorist inspired attack

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:17 AM #27

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Hopefully they will all make a good recovery.
So many ruddy nutters out there, terrorists or not.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM #28
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
He was filmed being led away though shouting Allalhu Akbar, of course he may be mentally ill etc etc, but the bottom line is random knife attacks on strangers wasn't that common or common at all before ISIS, and even if he isn't a terrorist per se, it was a terrorist inspired attack
Yes but making a distinction between an organised terrorist attack, and a random act of personal violence prompted by seeing or "copying" terrorist attacks, is actually quite important on a wider sociological level.

E.g. I believe the first widely publicised act of "vehicle terrorism" (ramming a van into a crowd) was carried out by a Muslim, but has also been done by white supremacists since then. You wouldn't call the white supremacist attacks "Muslim terrorism" because they "got the idea from Muslim terrorism" and this should apply across the board.

Was this attacker actually doing it in the name of his god? Was it an attack planned and prompted by a larger group? Or was it an unplanned violent psychotic outburst and "that's what you shout when you do this stuff"?

In terms of the media, the latter is still dubbed an "act of terrorism" and to be pedantic it obviously is one, but I personally think its vital to make the distinction between true, planned, network-based acts of Islamic terrorism and random lone killers. ISIS will claim anything at all as "theirs" once its done, even if they had no prior knowledge of the individual at all.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:49 AM #29
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Find myself agreeing with Cherie again. One of the witnesses was a reporter who said he'd covered enough of this kind of thing to know what it was. And it was a terrorist attack carried out by an Islamist. And if he is mentally ill then he's the perfect recruit for IS. So I think he is unquestionably a terrorist; he carried out a terrorist attack in the name of a terrorist group.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 AM #30
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Find myself agreeing with Cherie again. One of the witnesses was a reporter who said he'd covered enough of this kind of thing to know what it was. And it was a terrorist attack carried out by an Islamist. And if he is mentally ill then he's the perfect recruit for IS. So I think he is unquestionably a terrorist; he carried out a terrorist attack in the name of a terrorist group.
Did he do it in the name of a terrorist group or did he do it in the name of "god/Allah", there's a massive difference as TS said if you want to gauge how big and organized IS actually are. Saying Allahu Akbar doesn't make you a member of IS, it just means god is great or something

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM #31
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did he do it in the name of a terrorist group or did he do it in the name of "god/Allah", there's a massive difference as TS said if you want to gauge how big and organized IS actually are. Saying Allahu Akbar doesn't make you a member of IS, it just means god is great or something
Does he have to say it?

TS can think what he likes. This was a terrorist attack, whichever way you twist it. Every time there's any kind of terrorist attack there're always people saying yes, but, was it technically a terrorist attack?

I often get castigated on here for using my own experience to form opinions - although I always thought that was the best way to form opinions - but I'm going to say this: I work in international law, for the government, mostly in the middle east. I can confirm... it was a terrorist attack. Obviously, anyone can disagree with that... but experience tells me right.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:08 AM #32
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Does he have to say it?

TS can think what he likes. This was a terrorist attack, whichever way you twist it. Every time there's any kind of terrorist attack there're always people saying yes, but, was it technically a terrorist attack?

I often get castigated on here for using my own experience to form opinions - although I always thought that was the best way to form opinions - but I'm going to say this: I work in international law, for the government, mostly in the middle east. I can confirm... it was a terrorist attack. Obviously, anyone can disagree with that... but experience tells me right.
Does he have to say Allahu Akbar? Lots of Muslims who aren't blowing things up do everyday when they pray.

I'm not trying twist anything Livia, I mean, when a Christian attacks, they're lone nut jobs etc but it seems like there's no such thing in the Muslim religion for some reason, they're all terrorists and IS members.

Either way, whether he's a lone nutter or a member of IS, the outcome would be the same, I just think distinguishing between the two would be important in seeing how big the organization actually is, don't you?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 04-01-2019, 12:10 PM #33
-

-

Quote:
Does he have to say it?

Like I said obviously it is "technically" a terrorist attack, because all attacks designed to cause fear and panic are terrorism by definition, but I don't know why there's such a backlash against the idea that there's a huge - and important - distinction between "lone wolf" impulse-based attacks and larger scale, networked, planned terrorism. You HAVE to assume a knife attack is the former, as a planned attack would source more harmful weaponry? It's not hard to buy a gun or build a basic bomb, as we know.

The reason "careful use" of the word terrorism is important is that "terrorism" has become synonymous with planned attacks, ISIS, etc. and thus as soon as the media starts reporting "terrorism"... the public mindset latches onto the idea of a network of extremists plotting elaborate attacks. When it's far more likely that this individual had no such connections. Does it mean he isn't a religious fundamentalist? Of course not, and personally, I would argue that ALL fundamentalists and dogmatists are mentally unsound, but that's not really particularly relevant because none of this is about excusing the acts of the perpetrator; just keeping the risk perception of the public realistic, reasonable and accurate... instead of furthering the most basic goal of terrorism by spreading media hysteria and fear. It's in the name, for goshness sakes.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:53 PM #34
You know my methods

You know my methods

allowing large numbers of immigrants to practice their fake imported cult/superstition (that is unreformed) behind closed doors in purpose built buildings and many of them attempting to circumvent UK law is a recipe for disaster
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:53 PM #35
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
allowing large numbers of immigrants to practice their fake imported cult/superstition (that is unreformed) behind closed doors in purpose built buildings and many of them attempting to circumvent UK law is a recipe for disaster
I've often thought that mosques should have moles in them, to ensure they're keeping in order.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:05 PM #36
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Like I said obviously it is "technically" a terrorist attack, because all attacks designed to cause fear and panic are terrorism by definition, but I don't know why there's such a backlash against the idea that there's a huge - and important - distinction between "lone wolf" impulse-based attacks and larger scale, networked, planned terrorism. You HAVE to assume a knife attack is the former, as a planned attack would source more harmful weaponry? It's not hard to buy a gun or build a basic bomb, as we know.

The reason "careful use" of the word terrorism is important is that "terrorism" has become synonymous with planned attacks, ISIS, etc. and thus as soon as the media starts reporting "terrorism"... the public mindset latches onto the idea of a network of extremists plotting elaborate attacks. When it's far more likely that this individual had no such connections. Does it mean he isn't a religious fundamentalist? Of course not, and personally, I would argue that ALL fundamentalists and dogmatists are mentally unsound, but that's not really particularly relevant because none of this is about excusing the acts of the perpetrator; just keeping the risk perception of the public realistic, reasonable and accurate... instead of furthering the most basic goal of terrorism by spreading media hysteria and fear. It's in the name, for goshness sakes.
It's not terrorism then, because if we say it is, it's more scary, right?

I deal with intelligence every day regarding terrorists. But thanks for explaining all that for me. Despite the fact that the police, the security services and the press are all calling it a terrorist attack... let's call it something else on TiBB.

Last edited by Livia; 06-01-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:12 PM #37
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Does he have to say Allahu Akbar? Lots of Muslims who aren't blowing things up do everyday when they pray.

I'm not trying twist anything Livia, I mean, when a Christian attacks, they're lone nut jobs etc but it seems like there's no such thing in the Muslim religion for some reason, they're all terrorists and IS members.

Either way, whether he's a lone nutter or a member of IS, the outcome would be the same, I just think distinguishing between the two would be important in seeing how big the organization actually is, don't you?
This man was no ordinary Muslim, and he was not praying when he shouted Allahu Akbar, he was trying to kill people, so excuse me if I don't open my heart and try to understand him.

We know how big the organisation is, and we know that "lone wolves", which is just a sexy name for some sad sociopath or psychotic, are the perfect patsies IS. They appealed directly to them, to take up arms against the infidel.

Regarding the emboldened bit, I have never - ever - seen on Tibb, someone saying that all Muslims are terrorists and yet it's thrown around regularly. People are terrified of upsetting the Muslim community. But actually, Jewish people are the most attacked minority in the UK, despite the fact we're not stabbing, shooting and blowing anyone up. And the justification for that is, well... Israel. And you know, not all Jews are Israelis any more than all Muslims are terrorists.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 PM #38
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Open your heart to understand him? Where on earth did I suggest that? What I think is important to understand is how big terrorist groups actually are. Were you actually implying there that I was sympathising with a murderer?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Niamh.; 07-01-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
attack, centre, centreby, city, eve, machester, manchester, officer, police, stabbed, stabbings, station, terror, terrorist, treated, years