Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-01-2019, 10:47 AM #1
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Default Mums Protest Outside Birmingham School For 'Promoting Homosexuality' To Kids

A group of around 20 parents are threatening to remove their children from a primary school with a gay assistant head teacher, after claiming it is “over-promoting LGBT movements”.

Parkfield Community School in Saltley, Birmingham, has been criticised by some parents for piloting a programme called No Outsiders, run by Andrew Moffat MBE, which challenges discrimination, including homophobia, in schools.

Books being read as part of the programme at the 770-pupil school, where 23 nationalities are represented, include Mommy, Mama and Me and King & King – stories about same-sex relationships and marriages.

But furious mum-of-three Fatima Shah has already taken her 10-year-old daughter out of school in protest, and has started a petition to halt the lessons.

She told HuffPost UK: “It’s inappropriate, totally wrong. Children are being told it’s OK to be gay yet 98% of children at this school are Muslim. It’s a Muslim community.

“I’ve taken my daughter out and other parents have too. I’ve been threatened with a fine and told my daughter will be removed from the school register if I continue but I have no choice.”

In 2016 Parkfield Community school was awarded Outstanding status by Ofsted and the No Outsiders scheme was highlighted as a key strength. A year later, Moffat was awarded an MBE for services to equality and diversity in education.

But Shad said Moffat’s programme is against her Islamic beliefs. “My daughter came home and told me am I OK to be a boy? It’s confusing children about sexuality.”

Shah said she would be keeping her daughter at home until “something is done”. The mother said she had been paying for £20-per-hour home tuition instead.

While Shah is against the programme at Parkfield, the 29-year-old insists “gay people should be treated with mutual respect”.

She added: “We believe in fundamental British values and believe gay people should be treated with mutual respect and without prejudice or discrimination just like any other human being.

“We respect the Equality Act and believe it can be implemented without the promotion of homosexuality.

“We all have LGBT friends and are fine with them. Our point is that it is way too early to be teaching kids such sensitive stuff at five years old.”

She said children have a “naive and innocent picture of sexual relationships”, and that it is “inappropriate to teach them what is a gay or straight relationship” at such a young age.

Moffat moved to Parkfield in 2014 after resigning his post at Chilwell Croft Academy in Birmingham after Muslim and Christian parents complained that they did not want their children to “learn that it’s OK to be gay”.

In an interview in 2019 Moffat said he moved to Parkfield because “I specifically wanted to work in a school where there was a strong probability that I would face challenges to my LGBT equality work, so that I could learn from mistakes made in the past and find a way to get it right.”

Today, in a joint statement outlining concerns by parents, Moffat and Hazel Pulley, CEO of Excelsior Multi Academy Trust, said Parkfield Community School “have no plans to change their curriculum and No Outsiders remains an integral part of the drive for excellence”.

They said: “The No Outsiders programme teaches children that everyone is welcome.

“A key element of the No Outsiders ethos is engagement with parents from the start, in order to promote solid foundations of tolerance that are matched both in and outside the school gates.

“Ninety-eight per cent of the children at Parkfield practice the Islamic faith and initially this presented tension within some aspects of No Outsiders, specifically the acceptance of LGBT equality.

“Through parent workshops where resources and discussions were shared in the early stages of the pilot, the school was able to move forward with the support of the parent community.”

They added: “In the last four years the No Outsiders ethos has blossomed as an integral part of the school.”

A few miles down the road from Parkfield school, primary teachers at the Oasis Academy Shortheath in Erdington have been successfully running the No Outsiders classes for two years.

Deputy principal Joe Darnley told HuffPost UK: “It’s been working really well and it’s all about creating an environment where children can safely talk about issues where equality is paramount.

“The scheme teaches mutual respect and exposes bigotry. We are run by a Christian association with mainly white pupils but we had a full consultation with all parents before we began the course.”

He added: “The lessons have helped at least one pupil here who was feeling confused about his sexuality and the No Outsiders space gave him the confidence to share his feelings.”

Councillor Majid Mahmood said that the programme had “clearly upset some parents”, and he said he would be working with “both the school and the parents to help us reach a better understanding.”

He added: “I have never had a problem with the LGBT community and I am proud that Birmingham is an inclusive and tolerant city and there is no place here for homophobia or any other form of discrimination. The best way to reach an understanding on this issue is to talk and I’m determined to work with both the school and the parents on this.”

Local MP Liam Byrne told HuffPost: “Wise schools involve their parents upfront in the development of teaching material, and this is exactly what Parkfield has done every step of the way.

“Birmingham was built by people from all walks of life, coming together to live, love, work and build an amazing community.

“That’s why we believe in ‘No Outsiders’. There are LGBT people of every race, faith and community and it is our responsibility to let these children know that there is nothing wrong with them.”

Leaflet handed out to parents outside Parkfield School

Brothers and sisters, is it OK for your children to be gay?

Are you aware of the resource being used in literacy lessons promoting homosexuality?

Did you know Mr Moffat left his last role because parents believed he had no right coming out to children? They wanted all the lessons containing LGBT to be removed from curriculum.

Did you know that our children are now being taught the very same thing?

Have you asked what your children are being taught? What they are reading?

Please join us in our petition to have the No Outsider removed from the curriculum.

Please help us make a difference to what children are being taught.

Source: Mariam Ahmed

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0e1872d45e941

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 10:49 AM #2
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Surely it is not promoting homosexuality, it is promoting same sex couples as a norm which is what should be happening in schools You can't make children gay but you can change attitudes and schools are a great place to start?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 29-01-2019, 10:50 AM #3
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

It's not a Muslim school though is it? Regardless if alot of Muslims go there

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 10:51 AM #4

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Bunch of knobheads
Old 29-01-2019, 10:51 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
It's not a Muslim school though is it? Regardless if alot of Muslims go there
Nope it is not a Muslim faith school, no matter how many of the children who attend are of the muslim faith, so the school are well within their rights to teach inclusion

Old 29-01-2019, 11:01 AM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

this is one of the problems you get by allowing people to arrive in the UK and practice stone age cults they have been brainwashed into believing from other less developed countries.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:03 AM #7
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

the school is not breaking any laws or even breaking any guidelines. If the parents don't like it they could look to moving from the area and/or going to an alternative school.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:16 AM #8

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Carry on paying your £20 an hour tuition fees then.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:24 AM #9

"Please join us in our petition to have the No Outsider removed from the curriculum."

No
I ain't got time
sort out yourself..................
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:28 AM #10
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

"...after Muslim and Christian parents complained that they did not want their children to “learn that it’s OK to be gay”..."

But it IS okay to be gay. Maybe normal people should be protesting that these protesters are hopelessly out of touch and decades... centuries behind the times.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:31 AM #11
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Sounds like the mothers could do with a few lessons in the school
Old 29-01-2019, 11:34 AM #12
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
She told HuffPost UK: “It’s inappropriate, totally wrong. Children are being told it’s OK to be gay yet 98% of children at this school are Muslim. It’s a Muslim community.
Yet it's okay to idolise a "prophet" who consummated marriage with a nine year old?

tbh the assistant head is probably at risk, I don't think he should be sacked for being gay, but he'd probably be safer to work somewhere better.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 12:48 PM #13
Banned

Banned

Fatima Shah and everyone else involved in this are **** parents and **** human beings.

You can't 'promote' homosexuality, you either are or you aren't. The only thing you can promote is tolerance and if these hypocritical parents are fine with fairy tales where the prince and the princess live happily every after then they are utter ***** for acting like a similar story between a same sex pairing is somehow unacceptable.

Everyone involved in this is a twat that's using religion to justify their bigotry and I hope they all get done for keeping their kids out of school.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 01:36 PM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This is the worst bit for me

eaflet handed out to parents outside Parkfield School

Are you aware of the resource being used in literacy lessons promoting homosexuality?

Did you know Mr Moffat left his last role because parents believed he had no right coming out to children? They wanted all the lessons containing LGBT to be removed from curriculum.

Please join us in our petition to have the No Outsider removed from the curriculum.

Old 29-01-2019, 01:37 PM #15
Namaste

Namaste

"I'm not homophobic, I have loads of gay friends BUT..." Silly bigoted twats
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 01:43 PM #16
You know my methods

You know my methods

They are happy for their own elders and preachers to teach to the children that if they leave Islam then they deserve to die..

you could not make it up

oh wait, they already did
Old 29-01-2019, 02:08 PM #17
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Hope the school stands firm and won't be bullied.
On the plus side 20 parents is not that much if the school is 98% Muslim

These 20 say they respect British values. Do they tho?
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 03:16 PM #18
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
This is the worst bit for me

eaflet handed out to parents outside Parkfield School

I just hope none of their kids are gay for their own sakes, it's not an easy thing to be raised in a homophobic environment when you aren't straight.

Last edited by Tom4784; 29-01-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 03:39 PM #19
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I just hope none of their kids are gay for their own sakes, it's not an easy thing to be raised in a homophobic environment when you aren't straight.
makes you wonder about the 75 million gay muslims around the world and how they are doing
Old 29-01-2019, 03:43 PM #20
Adios

Adios

Can we just ban religion please

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 03:46 PM #21
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
Can we just ban religion please
amen
Old 29-01-2019, 03:52 PM #22

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Adult men should not be teaching 5 to 10 yr old kids about sex.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 03:57 PM #23
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 04:27 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokka View Post
What.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 04:50 PM #25
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
It's nothing to do with sex, its story books where its Mama and Mama and Papa and Papa rather than Mama and Papa

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
birmingham, homosexuality, kids, mums, promoting, protest, school