Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-02-2019, 11:38 AM #1
0_o

0_o

Default Sick trolls putting secret messages in YT videos encouraging kids to hurt themselves.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/848464...rents-warning/

Yes its the sun so there will be many 'its untrue' type replies. But it seems accurate to me. YT kids is great but obviously they cannot filter out everything, I would have thought though, that before being put on youtube kids, the videos would be watched in full..then watched again if they are edited?!

Seemingly not. I know a few will say 'well kids shouldn't be on youtube anyway' or whatever, but thats kind of besides the point IMO. And I don't really see them watching youtube stuff (mine watch 'ryans toy reviews'..which has to be one of the most annoying things in the world) thats age appropriate as any different to watching TV. I do supervise the kids when they are on them, but obviously I still have to go to the loo and stuff, and all it takes is a bad timed piss and mine could be watching stuff like this :S Now going to get them to turn it off when am at the loo or in the kitchen making a cuppa..but..what kind of a person would put messages in cartoons and such encouraging kids to kill themselves, just ****ing vile.

Quote:
PARENTS have been issued a chilling warning after trolls uploaded cartoons to YouTube Kids spliced with a hidden message encouraging children to kill themselves.

One horrified mum, who's son watched the vile video, fumed: “This video was intentionally planted on YouTube Kids to harm our children.

“He waited until parents’ guards were down.

"How can anyone do this?”

It is not known who uploaded the sick clips - with YouTube sometimes leaving them up for days until they are taken down.

The video, cut with an episode of popular kids cartoon Splatoon, features a clip from YouTube prankster Filthy Frank.

He appears on screen smirking and wearing sunglasses before describing how kids can harm themselves before signing off with "end it".

Filthy Frank, who is followed by more than 6 million subscribers, racks up millions of views with "anti-PC, anti-social and anti-couth" videos.

Some feature him bathing in a bath of noodles and eating raw squid but one was of him pretending to be a One Direction fan committing suicide.

He was unavailable for comment when approached by The Sun Online - but there is no suggestion he played any role in trolls editing the cartoon.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 25-02-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:43 AM #2
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

imagine actually taking the time out to record, edit, and upload a video like this

vile

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:53 AM #3

Yes it was on all news
not just The Sun.

YouTubeKids
has to sort this out
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:10 PM #4
0_o

0_o

Just tried to find the content filter and apparently its only available on android, and in other countries..UK wasnt listed That will be why when they got them I couldn't find a content filter, but seeing all this about 'parents can chose which channels the kids can see' and such..made me think it was now an option, seems not. Also I thought YT kids already had a content filter due to being..well youtube kids, where surely adults check the uploads, rather than relying on reports like they seem to do on normal youtube.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 25-02-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:43 PM #5
Banned

Banned

There's also the Momo stuff on there as well which is worse since it actively gets kids to not speak about it as the videos tell them that Momo will kill them if they do.

Youtube Kids has been so problematic that Google should just go back to the drawing board with it and take it down completely until things like this can be dealt with completely. There's so many scandals like this that it's difficult to keep track of them all.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:48 PM #6
0_o

0_o

Yeah the momo thing is very scary. After posting this I checked James' Ipad..obviously he cannot search for stuff himself yet so we do it which gives more control, but it appears 12 year old stepson might have been searching on there, as there was a search for ****ing 'slenderman'. Thats a blast from the past and am not happy at all. I always keep an ear out for what they are watching, and when the video changes I check what it is as the autoplay thing is a bit dodgy too sometimes. So no idea how this has happened I would hope a search for slenderman showed nothing on youtube kids though, he doesn't have normal youtube.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 25-02-2019, 12:50 PM #7
-

-

The scary thing about "Momo" is that it's not an individual or a group, it's more like an "urban bullying legend" that has taken off. The vast majority of Momo-related cases have actually been other kids that the victim personally knows. Like a group of kids will use a PAYG phone to make a "Momo" account and then message someone they know and harass / threaten / bully them into doing things.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:52 PM #8
-

-

As with all of these things though, the answer is to have open dialogue with kids about these things so that they can understand them and put them in context if they do encounter them. Not to try to "keep them away from it". It just doesn't work.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:01 PM #9
-

-

Old 02-03-2019, 06:13 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

It’s almost like a horror movie plot.Luckily ours don’t have phones and only have kids apps.They haven’t seen Momo but my eldest saw the Peppa pig with blood and knives etc.

We once put a Minecraft story vid on and it was sick af.Aimed at kids and the Dad getting drunk and beating the mum and the kid was conceived from rape.That was just normal YT on the Wii U though,Not the kids app.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM #11
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
It’s almost like a horror movie plot. Luckily ours don’t have phones and only have kids apps.They haven’t seen Momo but my eldest saw the Peppa pig with blood and knives etc.

Did you say your eldest is 7 NM? Watch out, if mine and all of her friends are anything to go by you only have a couple of years of such innocence left. They hit 9 and morph into bloody teenagers over night .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 02-03-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:43 PM #12
-

-

Being totally honest I don't think any of it is new, it's all just the 21st century version of kids being kids. I remember the sick / horror stories (about babysitters finding kids chopped up, etc etc) that used to go around at primary school. It's just that it was stories spread face to face rather than online.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:16 PM #13

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Has anyone rubbed their thumb over a candle and turned themselves into an animal.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM #14
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

The people responsible if ever found should be given hefty sentences

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:43 PM #15
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

Wtaf is wrong with some people

Grim

Spoiler:

Last edited by Matthew.; 02-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:54 PM #16
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Oh well, it had the benefit of reminding parents to be more vigilant of their children's activity online, I suppose.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

Oh well, it had the benefit of reminding parents to be more vigilant of their children's activity online, I suppose.
From a quick glance at the primary school Facebook page though, the reaction is (predictably) WAY over the top with screeching parents ranting "That's it! No more technology in MY house!!" and banning basically everything. The poor kids will be sat with a tin can and a piece of string. I mean, you can say "well good kids should be playing out together more" but these are the same parents who won't let their 11 year old out of the garden alone... Poor little Bob and Sally will be locked in their room with a board game.

Supervision with little children is important but as they get older I so firmly believe that it becomes about mutual respect, open dialogue and communication. Not giving them any reason to believe that they'd ever have to "hide something" because that's when the really risky stuff happens. If a kid "isn't allowed on tech" or "isn't allowed on tech unsupervised", when they inevitably find a way to do it anyway... If some weirdo tries to talk to them or threatens them of course they're not going to tell an adult because they know they weren't supposed to be doing it. If they're actually ALLOWED to be exploring and experimenting, when something ****ing weird happens they'll openly be like "Err mum, dad, Wtf is this??"

I mean I have literally zero concerns about my eldest because she tells us everything. She over shares if anything. We get an all day long narrative of every single thing that happens in her life, its currently inconceivable that she wouldn't be BURSTING to tell us about the "OMG weird thing on YouTube!!" and I hope at least SOME of that translates over to her teens. Because you have to let 'em go out there into the world eventually . I'd rather she goes prepped, pragmatic and knowing that she can ask advice about anything than being thrown in at the deep end after being "protected" for years, and looking to rebel and hide things.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM #18
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

My daughter is/was like that TS and She's 18 now, pretty much stayed like that all through her teens aswell so it's possible

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 PM #19
0_o

0_o

My sister is proper raging over this, a lot of schools have sent home letters and that about this momo which is up to them. However, her 8 year old daughters school have...put up large POSTERS of momo everywhere in the school! Her kid is ****ing petrified now (shed basically noticed one of the posters out of the corner of her eye, then had a huge version staring back at her!) and shes had to do a 'bravery chart' thing where she gets stars for going to the loo alone and all that.

Their reasoning is that its to 'raise awareness'. They also blamed it on the council and said the councils safeguarding team told them to do it. However, my sister actually works for the council and it seems that this is untrue..headteacher is also complaining now about being 'ambushed' by a load of parents who (rightly) want to know what the hell has done on..
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 03-03-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 PM #20
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
My sister is proper raging over this, a lot of schools have sent home letters and that about this momo which is up to them. However, her 8 year old daughters school have...put up large POSTERS of momo everywhere in the school!
Sorry Vicky but this is gold, whoever made that call at that school is a hoot. Hahaha.

"Watch out kids there's a scary thing called Momo going about. If you don't know what that is... LOOK AT THIS! IT'S THIS LOOK HERE! Isn't it spooky!!"
Old 03-03-2019, 06:58 PM #21
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

Quote:
My sister is proper raging over this, a lot of schools have sent home letters and that about this momo which is up to them. However, her 8 year old daughters school have...put up large POSTERS of momo everywhere in the school!
Are you serious

Spoiler:

Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:36 PM #22
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

spoken like a true non parent, you were a kid yourself once yes? did your parents know EVERYTHING you did......this idea that parents are some kind of all seeing all knowing entity which they never had to be in the past is just ridiculous, as soon as your child goes to nursery and starts interacting with other kids/adults, parents do not have the ability to supervise or monitor every interaction every minute of every day ....yes the boundaries can be set at home but once they are not at home you are at the mercy of other kids parenting, or kids friends older siblings etc ...

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 03-03-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:33 PM #23
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Sorry Vicky but this is gold, whoever made that call at that school is a hoot. Hahaha.

"Watch out kids there's a scary thing called Momo going about. If you don't know what that is... LOOK AT THIS! IT'S THIS LOOK HERE! Isn't it spooky!!"
I ****ing know..baffling decision making. Also surely they will have just ended up spending the day consoling a bunch of hysterical wailing 8 years olds in utter shock, jumping at every damn movement til their parents collected them at which stage the parents ripped teachers a new arsehole. Fun day. Of course, such a reaction from kids/parents was not possibly predictable in any way...nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
Are you serious
I thought she was taking the piss for ages, but nah she genuinely seems really pissed off and a few others with kids at that school seem to be ranting :S
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 03-03-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 PM #24
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
spoken like a true non parent, you were a kid yourself once yes? did your parents know EVERYTHING you did......this idea that parents are some kind of all seeing all knowing entity which they never had to be in the past is just ridiculous, as soon as your child goes to nursery and starts interacting with other kids/adults, parents do not have the ability to supervise or monitor every interaction every minute of every day ....yes the boundaries can be set at home but once they are not at home you are at the mercy of other kids parenting, or kids friends older siblings etc ...
Honestly I don't want to know half of what my 9 year old gets up to. But like I said she tells me anyway... In meandering detail .

Being more serious though, I am glad that thus far she voluntarily tells us everything that's going on with her and I hope it continues until her teens. And forever, really.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 PM #25

Quote:
Plot twist: It's actually posters advertising Nat Cass's solo tour!

Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
encouraging, hurt, kids, messages, putting, secret, sick, trolls, videos, yt