Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 AM #101
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I am fairly sure that 16-18 year olds have no choice but to be in education these days? Thats what stepson says anyway as he was planning on getting an appreticeship after school but apparently he hasto pick between college and sixth form as they can't leave at 16 now.

I left at 16 and went straight into work. Only got paid 2.50 an hour mind but was totally loaded compared to friends who chose to stay in education, who were living on 30 quid a week (and only if their parents were not well off..if your parents had cash you didn't get the 30 a week).

Because of my experience, I don't think I agree with them having to stay in education til 18, that would have depressed me and it turned out that working straight from school was by far the best thing for me, that kids today don't have that option seems a bit unfair. Mind, I guess the jobs aren't really there for them to do straight from school these days..back then, you could literally walk out of a job into the next one. So again ,much more choice and employers couldn't get away with treating you like **** as you could just walk right out...as I did once. Walked out of a job at around 6pm, and had another by 7 and started that night
That’s odd, when I left school it was between college, sixth form and apprenticeship because the latter did count as education. Unless they changed it since?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM #102
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I am fairly sure that 16-18 year olds have no choice but to be in education these days?
At the moment, yes. But obviously if additional things were in place, this would be adjusted.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM #103
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurryface View Post
It already is. Not going to further education isn’t an option now. It’s college, sixth form or apprenticeship for 2 years regardless.
Stepson says hes not allowed to do the appreticeship that he wants, as been told he has to do 'normal' education instead. I wonder if part of the problem is that the apprenticeship he wants to do..has a half decent wage. Its something like 6 quid an hour, which would be classed as too good for a 16 year old..which again is utterly crap. Saying that they have to work for pennies, when proper wages are available.

Meanwhile, ****ing subway refuse to pay their staff properly and instead all their positions are 'apprenticeships' so they can get away with paying next to nothing. Apprenticeship in sandwich making man..give me strength..
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-06-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM #104
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Oh C'mon where does it say there the young have to die ? lets be sensible here, and i am sure lots of older people love youngsters, infact some of us have some, I think that the 'young' description is just because NS was aimed at the young, but no where did anyone say youngsters should die,that's just silly.
My Mam used to say "They go in a boy and come out a man " This can only do good IMO
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM #105

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Education isn't for everyone. Something should be in place for 16-18 year olds who need some purpose in their lives. But instead of National Service in the military, maybe something like Rory Stewart suggested, working on community projects etc.
In my eyes, what Rory has put on the table is just yet another way for businesses getting out of having to fork out another wage, why do that when they can just get a youngster in to do it for free?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 AM #106
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

I'd make old bigots volunteer at asylum seekers detention centres
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 AM #107

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh C'mon where does it say there the young have to die ? lets be sensible here, and i am sure lots of older people love youngsters, infact some of us have some, I think that the 'young' description is just because NS was aimed at the young, but no where did anyone say youngsters should die,that's just silly.
Force someone into war, there’s a very high chance that they’ll die, therefore young people would be forced into a situation where they’re very likely to die, that’s it
Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 AM #108
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That’s odd, when I left school it was between college, sixth form and apprenticeship because the latter did count as education. Unless they changed it since?
My grandson has been told if he gets an apprenticeship he can leave at 16
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM #109
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Did you know - college, sixth form, and apprenticeships have educational aspects to them?

These don't suit everyone, and despite doing a stirling course in fine art, some people still find it difficult to get a start in adult life.
Sorry, I misread your comment. I thought you were saying that there was nothing in place at all for 16-18 year olds.

But tbh, I think people would find it harder getting a start in adult life at 16 with just GCSE’s, than at 18+ with A Levels and Degrees. Everywhere you look are desperate for people with further education - they’re not bothered what in but having those higher qualifications shows them you have what it takes to work in adult environments.

And besides - there’s lots of different options. I don’t do well with exams or studying, so sixth form wasn’t for me and I picked a vocational course at college where there’s 40% theory work and 60% practical. Now I’m looking at my next steps, I decided against uni because I don’t like that environment but I’m looking between an apprenticeship and a HND - both more relaxed environment.

So I find it hard to believe this system is forcing people to do something when there’s so many different options.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM #110
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
In my eyes, what Rory has put on the table is just yet another way for businesses getting out of having to fork out another wage, why do that when they can just get a youngster in to do it for free?
Thats all it ever is. Excuses to not pay properly, and not give proper workers rights.

Similar to 'workfare' schemes. Where, if these pisstaking employers just paid the staff as they should, then the person who is made to work for free, would be off the dole and have a decent bloody wage. But no, lets punish those who are out of work by giving employers a chance to get free workers, meanwhile the person with no job still has no job or wage, but is working 40 hours per week, and still being referred to as lazy scum because they have to claim JSA to survive, while doing a fulltime job. Ugh. This topic makes me rage so much, its vile, yet people support it because 'lazy scroungers'..meanwhile the lazy scroungers are doing more actual work than those calling them lazy scroungers.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-06-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:16 AM #111
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He wasn't talking about young people stacking shelves in Tesco, it was community projects. That's the sort of thing which councils usually do rather than businesses.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 AM #112
Adios

Adios

Quote:
Thats all it ever is. Excuses to not pay properly, and not give proper workers rights.

Similar to 'workfare' schemes. Where, if these pisstaking employers just paid the staff as they should, then the person who is made to work for free, would be off the dole and have a decent bloody wage. But no, lets punish those who are out of work by giving employers a chance to get free workers, meanwhile the person with no job still has no job or wage, but is working 40 hours per week, and still being referred to as lazy scum because they have to claim JSA to survive, while doing a fulltime job. Ugh. This topic makes me rage so much, its vile, yet people support it because 'lazy scroungers'..meanwhile the lazy scroungers are doing more actual work than those calling them lazy scroungers.
Pretty much

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 AM #113

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He wasn't talking about young people stacking shelves in Tesco, it was community projects. That's the sort of thing which councils usually do rather than businesses.
Community projects like what, litter picking, communal gardening, looking after old folk? All things that people could and should be paid to do, it’s just another way to vilify the young and get away with free labour
Old 09-06-2019, 11:21 AM #114

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Force someone into war, there’s a very high chance that they’ll die, therefore young people would be forced into a situation where they’re very likely to die, that’s it
But, the bootcamp kinda thing I was talking about was not about sending anyone to war, I think thugs and criminal offenders would benefit from learning some manners and respect and how to behave and maybe learn a trade and work hard would be more beneficial that letting them roam feral or putting them in prison

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:21 AM #115
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
I agree 100%
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:22 AM #116
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

At college we are currently being encouraged to do ‘industry placements’.

We would basically go to a company for a week, complete work they need doing, and all for free. Now this in itself is a bad idea, as all we gain from it is a little experience. But in the field I’m in, filmmaking, it’s a tough job making an entire film or advert solo, and for free. There’s the casting, planning, filming, editing, sound production, rendering etc - and to do that alone for no money is just something I’d rather not do. Especially when we are so used to working in groups where everyone can focus on their strong suit.

When we are giving them a skill, talent, whatever you call it, it’s the kind of thing I expect to be paid for. Yes I’m just starting out, so I’m not asking for much as it’s not the same quality as an industry professional, but it’s passable work and not something that in the industry would be given as a freebie.

Last edited by Morgan.; 09-06-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Morgan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 AM #117
0_o

0_o

Quote:
But, the bootcamp kinda thing I was talking about was not about sending anyone to war, I think thugs and criminal offenders would benefit from learning some manners and respect and how to behave and maybe learn a trade and work hard would be more beneficial that letting them roam feral or putting them in prison
That works in theory. However realistically, thugs and criminals are not really going to learn anything, regardless of how many bootcamp type things you put them through.

Also, I have no issue at all with people thinkng of ways to sort out criminals and that. Its when its just applied to 'the young' in general and its made out that 'the young' are all lazy ****ers who would benefit from being put on the frontline or something because some of them are lazy (just like older people..oddly enough. Lazy people will always exist in all sections of society) that it kind of gets my back up.

I mean, am not even part of 'the young' now, but I still feel defensive when older people just demonize them constantly. Especially given how much bloody harder it is for younger people these days compared to like..30-40 years back when those complaining about the young were young themselves. Back when you could buy a house with a years wage, and there were numerous jobs available. Its so much worse for the young' these days. Obviously not compared to..like war times, before someone tries being clever. But things today compared to when boomers were starting out...

I mean, as an example theres 'I had bought a house and had a job when I was 20' people..because those today struggle to get on the ladder, this mean they are lazy. No, its damn near impossible to buy a house when young today, unless your family has money, and if your family buys it for you, its not you earning it is it..
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 AM #118

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But with respect, that wasn’t the topic at hand, the question that was posed about specifically about national service, a scheme that specifically targeted young people just because they were born after a certain time, whether they’ve broke the law or not
Old 09-06-2019, 11:27 AM #119

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

In my experience old people are the worst; rude, entitled, ignorant, what about those sorts of people, who just sit and knit all day? Should something be done about them?

Last edited by Liam-; 09-06-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:29 AM #120
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

Quote:

We would basically go to a company for a week, complete work they need doing, and all for free. Now this in itself is a bad idea, as all we gain from it is a little experience. But in the field I’m in, filmmaking, it’s a tough job making an entire film or advert solo, and for free. There’s the casting, planning, filming, editing, sound production, rendering etc - and to do that alone for no money is just something I’d rather not do. Especially when we are so used to working in groups where everyone can focus on their strong suit.

When we are giving them a skill, talent, whatever you call it, it’s the kind of thing I expect to be paid for. Yes I’m just starting out, so I’m not asking for much as it’s not the same quality as an industry professional, but it’s passable work and not something that in the industry would be given as a freebie.
My first, and only, industry placement was for a local musician who wanted a music video but wouldn’t give me any direction. I made one. He didn’t like it. He didn’t use it. I re aimed unpaid, for what frankly was a waste of my time.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:30 AM #121
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
In my experience old people are the worst; rude, entitled, ignorant, what about those sorts of people, who just sit and knit all day? Should something be done about them?
you do realise that your words are 100% discriminatory
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:33 AM #122

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
No more discriminatory than saying young people are lazy, lowlife scrowngers that sit and play Xbox all day

Last edited by Liam-; 09-06-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:33 AM #123
0_o

0_o

Quote:

Yup, you are working, even though you are learning, and should be paid for it.

Its odd, when people think stuff lie this is ok because 'lazy young', should work for free, but then complain that they have to claim JSA or whatever to survive on. Like, you cannot logically agree with both forcing people to work for free, but also complain that they have no income.

I think even learning on the job stuff should be paid. I think workfare and the likes should be done away with and employers should be made to pay proper wages when people work for them, rather than picking from an endless pool of unfortunate people who have to do all the bad sides of working without the one upside, which is a wage and cash to do what you want. I also think employers such as subway, should be made to pay properly rather than using 'apprenticeship' as a way to pay half, or less. Its horrible and exploitative and absolutely should not be encouraged or allowed.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-06-2019, 11:39 AM #124
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
My Mam used to say "They go in a boy and come out a man " This can only do good IMO
And you consider a “man” to be what exactly? Someone who’s prepared to put themselves in front of a fired gun?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:40 AM #125
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Pretty much and it’s gross but you should pull up others for doing it too about the younger generation. Young and old are as bad as each other.

Spoiler:

Last edited by LukeB; 09-06-2019 at 11:41 AM.
LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, brought, national, service