Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 27-03-2020, 03:05 PM #1

Default Madonna Appreciation (Part 3) Biopic confirmed!

Continuing on from:
Part 1: https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...hlight=madonna
Part 2: https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...hlight=madonna

Here is Part 3 of the Appreciation thread, and today marks the 30th Anniversary of when Vogue was released.

Let the celebration begin.

Last edited by Nancy.; 13-08-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Nancy. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:22 PM #2

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/...ogue-turns-30/

Released in March of 1990, Madonna’s “Vogue” wasn’t just a hit single—it was a cultural phenomenon. Ironically, no other song better exemplifies both the singer’s influence on pop culture and the accusations of appropriation that have been lobbed at her over the years. The track, produced by Shep Pettibone, is at once a musical map of disco, shamelessly ripping MFSB’s “Love Is the Message” and Salsoul Orchestra’s “Ooh, I Love It (Love Break),” and an enduring prototype of its own, spawning countless copycats and spoofs in the early ‘90s and inspiring covers by more contemporary acolytes like Britney Spears, Rihanna, and Katy Perry. The queen of pop herself has even paid homage to her own hit, erupting into the song’s refrain at the end of her 1992 single “Deeper and Deeper” and sampling elements of the track on 2015’s “Holy Water” and her most recent club hit, “I Don’t Search I Find.” Like the Harlem drag balls that inspired it, “Vogue” is about presentation, and unlike, say, “Like a Virgin,” the queen of reinvention has found little need to fuss with perfection.

Music Video (1990)

Look closely when that butler brushes off the bannister. Nope, no dust there; the finger pulls clean. Those who objected to Madonna’s co-opting two vibrant New York scenes—ball culture and the house underground—had every reason to cast any available aspersions once the instant-classic music video for “Vogue” hit the airwaves. Directed with diamond-cut precision by David Fincher long before he became the fussiest of the A-list auteurs, the already plush song became a plummy fantasia of Old Hollywood luxury, and an actualization of the sort of glamour Paris Is Burning’s drag queens and dance-floor ninjas openly longed for. And it came with a steep price tag. “It makes no difference if you’re black or white,” goes the familiar refrain, but it’s unclear whether Madonna realized to what extent the clip’s flawless, monochromatic cinematography would underline the point. To some, the video (like New York’s ball scene) represented the ultimate democratization of beauty. To others, a presumptuously preemptive eradication of the racial question entirely.

Blond Ambition Tour (1990)

Compared to the spectacles Madonna would go on to stage for the song over the next quarter century, the premier live performances of “Vogue” were surprisingly quaint. Stripped down to the bare basics (aside from the dancers’ headdresses, even the costumes consisted solely of simple black spandex), the Blond Ambition version of the song came closest to capturing the essence of the gay ballroom scene the lyrics were inspired by: presentational, preening, and all about the pose.

Rock the Vote (1990)

Along with “Vogue,” this year also marks the 30th anniversary of Rock the Vote, the nonprofit organization aimed at mobilizing and registering young voters. In 1990, the group made its national debut with a TV spot featuring Madonna and two of her Blond Ambition dancers harmonizing to a cheeky, revamped version of her then-recent smash. In what might seem tame by today’s standards, the sight of the world’s biggest pop star draped in the American flag, comparing freedom of speech to sex, threatening to give non-voters a “spanky,” and name-dropping Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., all while dressed in red lace lingerie, twisted more than a few panties among the Moral Majority. And that was before it was revealed she wasn’t even registered to vote.

MTV Video Music Awards (1990)

Indulging in a cheeky bit of dress-me-up make believe, Madonna’s performance at the 1990 VMAs gracefully elided politics altogether in favor of lace-front cosplay. Borrowing liberally from Dangerous Liaisons, specifically costume designer James Acheson’s cleavage-crushing bodice, Madonna and regalia flitted around a rec room, taunting a bevy of eligible suitors in short pants, punctuating every tease with an audible snap of fans that sounded more like trashcan lids. Sandwiched as the song was between “Like a Prayer” on one side and “Justify My Love” and Erotica on the other, it was nice to see at least one performance of the song that revels in the simple thrill of innocent ribaldry.

The Girlie Show Tour (1993)

Not by any stretch the most iconic performance of the tune, and in fact very likely the most rote of the bunch, especially when you consider its place in context with the surrounding Erotica-heavy content, against which “Vogue” can’t help but sound just a smidge “Let’s All Go to the Lobby.” The Mata Hari headdress promises subversion that never really materializes, which is hardly a surprise given Madonna—clad in a boy bra and chunky platform military boots—has probably never looked more rectangular. This marked the last time she would perform the song in concert for more than a decade, and the vague sense that an increasingly doom-obsessed Madonna was vaguely bored with the song’s escapism is palpable here.
Old 27-03-2020, 03:47 PM #3
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:

iconic, the legacy, one of her blueprint songs.

for me vogue acts as a end to 80s madonna, and then throughout the 90s her musical art becomes so much more artistic and exquisite I mean; erotica, bed time stories and ray of light are her best bodies of work
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:47 PM #4
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

for me vogue acts as a end to 80s madonna, and then throughout the 90s her musical art becomes so much more artistic and exquisite I mean; erotica, bed time stories and ray of light are her best bodies of work
Old 27-03-2020, 05:02 PM #5
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

Vogues never been one of my faves but I've always appreciated what it meant in her career, it was like a turning point into 90s madonna

Spoiler:

Saph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 08:28 PM #6
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ugh the 90s were her peak of beauty

Spoiler:

Old 09-04-2020, 08:12 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post

I adore these album's. I think Bedtime Stories is severely underrated and always gives me a lovely warm feeling whenever I hear it. It's gorgeous. Shame she didn't tour with this album.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:21 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
Vogues never been one of my faves but I've always appreciated what it meant in her career, it was like a turning point into 90s madonna
The turning point for me started with LAP and Express Yourself, but yeah, her artistry just got better and better after those.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:25 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Like a Virgin, Vogue, Music, Hollywood & Hung Up = Mold’s best tracks
Frozen is so overrated
Kash Doll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:27 PM #10

Quote:

ugh the 90s were her peak of beauty
I remember watching this at the time of transmission and couldn't believe how amazing she looked. That long flowing mermaid hair paired with that dress looked stunning.

Oh and she actually worn that vintage Versace dress again at 2018's MET Gala afterparty.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:29 PM #11
User banned

User banned

MADONNA and JANET JACKSON are the blueprint for pop music, period pooh

Last edited by Kash Doll; 09-04-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:31 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash Doll View Post
Like a Virgin, Vogue, Music, Hollywood & Hung Up = Mold’s best tracks
Frozen is so overrated

Old 09-04-2020, 08:36 PM #13
User banned

User banned

Both their last albums also went to #1. :clap: What we not gonna do is put them against eachother like some fans seem to do. They are the two originals. And that is that on that boo
Old 11-04-2020, 04:45 PM #14

Madonna's segment on the Coachella documentary:
"The first star to play the show"

Old 21-04-2020, 10:02 AM #15

How Madonna’s Blond Ambition tour changed pop concerts forever

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ion-world-tour

1990's Blond Ambition took Madge's natural sense of showmanship to new heights.

“I know that I’m not the best singer and I know that I’m not the best dancer. But, I can f—ing push people’s buttons and be as provocative as I want. This tour’s goal is to break useless taboos.” There was only one all-singing, all-dancing chart-topper who could get away with such a bold declaration at the turn of the ’90s, and it wasn’t Paula Abdul.

From the moment that she writhed around suggestively in a wedding dress at the 1984 MTV VMAs, Madonna became the live act that you couldn’t — and didn’t want to — take your eyes off. Singing in front of a traditional guitar-bass-drums trio was never going to cut it for the woman seemingly hellbent on shocking middle America.

Then the undisputed Queen of Pop by quite a margin, Madonna had already toyed with the theatrical on 1987’s Who’s That Girl Tour, a whirlwind of glitzy costume changes, giant video screens and dramatic reenactments that she described as “Broadway in a stadium.” But 1990’s Blond Ambition — which kicked off 30 years ago — took Madge’s natural sense of showmanship to new heights.

Madonna asked Jean-Paul Gaultier to create more than 60 costumes for the tour, an amount which the haute couture designer admits took 350 aspirins to get through. Luckily, all this headache-inducing work paid off. The Frenchman’s conical bra creation, which was later sold at auction for $52,000, became one of the defining fashion statements of the decade. And items such as the polka-dotted blouse, clip-on ponytail and mic headset all became a part of the chart-topper’s style legacy, too.

Unsurprisingly, Madonna was just as fastidious when it came to the tour’s choreography. “Wimps and wannabes need not apply” read the call out seeking “fierce male dancers” for the tour. Led by Vincent Paterson, the chosen army of six were put through boot camp-like rehearsals in preparation for a tour that spanned 57 dates, five months and three continents. And with its large hydraulic platform and multiple elaborate sets, Blond Ambition’s staging essentially cost the same as the GDP of a small country. Simply no one else could compete, not even the King to Madonna’s Queen of Pop. A few years prior, Michael Jackson’s Bad Tour had impressed many with its slick moves and dazzling lights – even the BBC’s cult hero John Peel hailed it as a “performance of matchless virtuosity.” But Madge’s elaborative high-concept, five-act production left it for dust.

Blond Ambition didn’t give fans a single opportunity to get bored or head for the bar. Every four minutes there was something new to digest. Take the opening ‘Metropolis’ section, inspired by the expressionist sci-fi of Fritz Lang, for example. Madonna simulates sex in that bra while performing “Express Yourself,” straddles a chair during “Open Your Heart” and belts out “Causing a Commotion” while playfully wrestling her two backing vocalists to the ground. And this was just the first quarter of an hour.

As you’d expect from an artist whose Pepsi commercial had been yanked amidst calls of blasphemy, the second ‘Religious’ section was even more attention-grabbing. Wildly rubbing her crotch in a red velvet bed, Madonna left little to the imagination on a sensual reworking of “Like a Virgin.” And on “Like a Prayer,” the track whose provocative video had caused the soft drink giants to bail, the star and her crew are kitted out as nuns and priests.

Of course, much of the predominantly Roman Catholic nation of Italy didn’t appreciate this type of cosplay. A second date at the Stadio Flaminio was called off after none other than Pope John Paul II implored citizens to boycott “one of the most satanic shows in the history of humanity.”

The controversial blend of religion and erotica also incurred the wrath of the Toronto police force, particularly the “lewd and obscene” display of “Like a Virgin.” But despite the threat of arrest, Madonna and her management team refused to bow down to authority. The star even referenced the furor during her second show at the city’s SkyDome, asking the crowd “Do you think that I’m a bad girl?… I hope so.”

Madonna famously described Toronto as a fascist state in Truth or Dare, the illuminating backstage documentary which further boosted Blond Ambition’s pop cultural cachet. Who can forget the scene where the star pretends to gag after Kevin Costner – then the biggest movie star in the world – summarizes 105 minutes of sense-assaulting, boundary-pushing entertainment as “neat”?

Thankfully, the sell-out crowds reacted to the tour with a little more enthusiasm, even the Dick Tracy section featuring several numbers that would have been unfamiliar at the time. The comic book adaptation, which co-starred Madonna as femme fatale Breathless Mahoney, hit the big screen half-way through Blond Ambition’s run. And the ever-astute star attempted to guide fans towards the cinema with a high-kicking third act dedicated to the trench coat-wearing detective.

But for sheer entertainment value, the ‘Art Deco’ segment is tough to beat. Sporting a pink bathrobe and curlers while seated under a beauty parlor hair dryer, Madonna performed the whole of “Material Girl” in a comical Noo-Yawk accent before throwing fake dollar bills into the crowd. “Cherish” saw the star take up the harp accompanied by (what else?) a troupe of dancing mermen. And following a West Side Story-inspired routine for arguably her finest pure pop moment, “Into the Groove,” she wrapped things up with a faithful recreation of the iconic “Vogue” video.

By the time each and every crew member bids an on-stage farewell during the Bob Fosse-meets-A Clockwork Orange encore of “Keep it Together,” it’s clear that you’ve just witnessed a spectacle of ground-breaking proportions. As dancer Luis Camacho said, Madonna “wanted to give the audience an experience, rather than them just going to a concert. She set the stage for concert shows and experiences that followed.” The tour even impressed Grammy voters, who were notoriously slow to recognize Madonna’s greatness. The video of the tour won the 1991 award for best music video, long form — Madonna’s very first Grammy Award.

Sure enough, no longer were audiences content to watch their pop idol simply play the hits. Elaborate production values and strong narrative arcs soon became just as integral to the superstar tour as the music itself. You only have to look at Michael Jackson’s Dangerous shows, complete with catapult stunts and ghoulish illusions, two years later to recognize the immediate impact Blond Ambition had. And it has continued to inspire pop’s A-listers ever since. Without Blond Ambition, it’s unlikely we’d have the gravity-defying acrobatics of P!nk, the candy-colored razzmatazz of Katy Perry or the formidable conceptual journeys of Beyoncé. And it goes without saying that its footprints were all over the various balls staged by Lady Gaga.

Madonna herself has refused to rest on her laurels, going even bigger and bolder on the likes of 1993’s The Girlie Show, 2004’s Re-Invention and 2008’s Sticky and Sweet. But nothing has ever changed the game quite like her extremely blond and incredibly ambitious 1990 world tour.

Old 21-04-2020, 10:17 AM #16

The Immaculate Collection is back in the charts again - which makes it 342 weeks on the UK chart (including 9 weeks at #1).
Old 21-04-2020, 10:55 AM #17
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

I listened to Madame X yesterday for the first time in months and I actually quite enjoyed it I think its one of those ones that gets better with age

Spoiler:

Old 21-04-2020, 11:34 AM #18
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

it was hard candy's anniversary on sunday. one of her best songs ever

Old 21-04-2020, 11:38 AM #19
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

one of her best songs ever I'd love her to do another guitar sounding album.. ROL/music/Alife are 3 of ha best

Spoiler:

Old 21-04-2020, 01:40 PM #20
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

Quote:
one of her best songs ever I'd love her to do another guitar sounding album.. ROL/music/Alife are 3 of ha best
they really are, although I must admit I don't think i have a favourite because I change it all the time

at the moment i think erotica is her strongest work
Old 21-04-2020, 01:43 PM #21
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

ugh

Old 21-04-2020, 03:37 PM #22
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

erotica is my all time favourite I think, but those pther three come close too

Spoiler:

Old 22-04-2020, 02:58 PM #23

Just been reminded what a good album this still is.

Old 22-04-2020, 03:27 PM #24
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

see which flavour you like and ill have it for you, come on into my store I got candy galore

Spoiler:

Old 26-04-2020, 10:03 PM #25
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

this is so good

Spoiler:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
#1, #4, 30, appreciation, back, bedtime stories, biopic, confirmed, countries, covid19, itunes, madonna, part, pt, today, turns, usa, vogue, warner