Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 04:47 PM #2726

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
funnily enough this is a thing on escforum, where members made ''masks'' for their avi's
Perhaps an idea for tibb.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:50 PM #2727
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I will not be taking my mask off in a public toilet and inhaling....but thanks for the suggestion.
or go to a remote area somewhere and when you see no one near you, take off your mask once and get some fresh air

you had a good valid point anyway Parmy, face masks are good for protection but you can feel like out of breath, hot real soon, my mom did feel out of breath after 2 hours with that on, during one of the months it was pretty severe here, and she wanted to visit her mum (my nan) for short amount of time it is doable, but i got real respect for those people who work for 8 hours (in switzerland apparently they do, i heard from a friend of mine on discord who is from there and he has to work for like 8, 9 hours with mask on, that is pretty uncomfortable, with a few breaks of course and in those breaks you can seek some space and breathe in fresh air too)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:12 PM #2728
You know my methods

You know my methods

its actually quite crazy that i had to wear a mask to buy my newspaper at the garage today. The virus is almost gone from Scotland. WOuld it not have made more sense to wear one in march april and May?

bloody barmy
Old 11-07-2020, 05:25 PM #2729
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
its actually quite crazy that i had to wear a mask to buy my newspaper at the garage today. The virus is almost gone from Scotland. WOuld it not have made more sense to wear one in march april and May?

bloody barmy
Yes Scotland is down to a couple of cases - but remember how quickly it went from "a couple of cases" in February to peak deaths (about 95 deaths/day in Scotland) in April.

They're making mask use common practice to mitigate the effects of an inevitable second wave in Winter, so that they don't have to do lockdown 2.0.

In all honesty, I think the chances of me getting Covid in the little Tesco I was at in Oban yesterday are basically zero - I doubt anyone in a 50+ mile radius has Covid - but... Meh. It's not enough of an issue to kick up a fuss about.

My main concern is still that people will abandon the 2m distance (or any distancing) "because we're wearing masks" but that remains to be seen, I guess.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:29 PM #2730
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I've hardly been out anywhere since March, just to a store for the odd item.
I'm making sure my Mum is protected.

The thing with the mask is, even I being really vigilant, will touch something likely which others could have outside.

Then if I'm taking a mask out if my pocket or keep fiddling with it taking it down then putting it back on once at a store, shop or wherever.

Then I could be inviting problems.

I saw an elderly person on one side of the street, out with a mask on.
Then a jogger puffing and panting running past them with no facecovering.
On the same pavement..
I just thought, that's all it would take really.

So I get your point Vanessa..
Myself I'm wearing one inside and outside.
.the only time it's off for me, is when I'm in the house.

I mean it doesn't even need to be a mask, a scarf wrapped round mouth and nose, a couple to 3 times is at least something.

The people I see going to shops and stores, only a few of them wearing masks, do have them on heading to the shop and store, not messing about with them, putting them on and off.

In a secluded area, I'd agree there's little point in wearing one if no one else is around.
All I've had to do, to programme myself really..
Is get in a mindset where had I this, vurus I need to protect others.
If others had it vice versa, I'd expect to be protected by them too.

So I'm adding to my safety and others, I believe, by wearing one as I have since the beginning of March.

That's just my view.
However I've been screaming since the first week of March we should have been wearing them anyway.
My road is very quiet anyway. Hardly anyone around.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:32 PM #2731
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes Scotland is down to a couple of cases - but remember how quickly it went from "a couple of cases" in February to peak deaths (about 95 deaths/day in Scotland) in April.

They're making mask use common practice to mitigate the effects of an inevitable second wave in Winter, so that they don't have to do lockdown 2.0.

In all honesty, I think the chances of me getting Covid in the little Tesco I was at in Oban yesterday are basically zero - I doubt anyone in a 50+ mile radius has Covid - but... Meh. It's not enough of an issue to kick up a fuss about.

My main concern is still that people will abandon the 2m distance (or any distancing) "because we're wearing masks" but that remains to be seen, I guess.
yes i was in the coop in Kinross with like one other granny feeling like a plonker in my surgical mask. The till girl was behind a screen with a ridiculous welders mask on made of clear plastic. Utterly ludicrous.

My cycle around Loch Leven was amazing, if very busy (but good to see folks out and in the fresh air)
Old 11-07-2020, 05:57 PM #2732

Today 148 Died

UK Covid-19 Death Total : 44,798
Old 11-07-2020, 06:18 PM #2733
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Today 148 Died

UK Covid-19 Death Total : 44,798
Probably seen as another low figure.
Not by me.

I find it obscene the government now neither announces with condolences, or even acknowledges the still rising deaths now.

As always my thoughts go to any bereaved and now robbed of special loved ones.

Hundreds dying weekly still certainly worries me.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:35 PM #2734
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

there is no substitute for keeping a 2 metre distance. Masks encourage closer contact which i think is asking for trouble, they also impart a false sense of security. My biggest beef with the government is the reduction of the 2 metre rule
Old 11-07-2020, 06:43 PM #2735
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
there is no substitute for keeping a 2 metre distance. Masks encourage closer contact which i think is asking for trouble, they also impart a false sense of security. My biggest beef with the government is the reduction of the 2 metre rule
Not unsurprisingly I disagree.

I think the wearing of masks actually highlights and is a reminder of the possible danger.
When I'm in a store with mine on.
I find people step even further back to let me pass, even if they have one on.

Those who don't wear them, they are the ones I see movng much closer to each other.

So in my view, I find wearing a facecovering is like a warning notice.
A warning not there when not wearing one.

However, I do agree with the reduction of the 2 metre distancing being wrong and also more dangerous.
I always do my utmost to ensure I remain, even with a facecovering, (although more if I can), at least 2 metres away from anyone.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:59 PM #2736
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
Then he shouldn't be out there considering he's at risk. There are plenty of alternatives for people to get food and other services delivered. If you have a condition, stay tf home.

And by the way, the UK not enforcing masks in public transport is the worst idea they've had in a long time. Here in France it's mandatory and one seat out of two is blocked from sitting on it. It's a great idea and makes people think twice about doing something stupid. Although we've seen fights in the tube or in buses because passengers told other passengers to not sit here etc etc
No way of knowing everyone's particular position, there are any number of people who are estranged from family, lead lonely lives, feel too proud to ask strangers for help etc. Life matters but so does quality of life, it's unreasonable to ask every vulnerable person to stay at home indefinitely seeing no one and never going out. That's already been a lot of people's lives for four months now
Old 11-07-2020, 07:00 PM #2737
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Seems to me in the US that a lot of people are actually wearing masks now but they're not distancing at all, they're acting like one has just replaced the other
Old 11-07-2020, 07:33 PM #2738
-

-

Quote:
Honestly I think this is actually the intention; they intend to encourage lessening social distancing, mitigate the risks of that to an extent but mostly to combat public fears about getting back out. Masks are fairly conclusively proven to help (if used properly) but I have my suspicions regarding why they're being introduced now.

Quote:
Not unsurprisingly I disagree.

I think the wearing of masks actually highlights and is a reminder of the possible danger.
When I'm in a store with mine on.
I find people step even further back to let me pass, even if they have one on.
Thats while they're not mandatory, so wearing one is a sign that you're taking things seriously and are likely to want people to keep their distance, so they do. When they're mandatory it can no longer be taken as a "signal" from the wearer.

In all honesty, I do find that people are less strict with social distancing when wearing masks, and I have to say that even myself I've been more likely to have the distancing part "slip my mind" when everyone's masked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Seems to me in the US that a lot of people are actually wearing masks now but they're not distancing at all, they're acting like one has just replaced the other
Thisbis my impression after hearing from several people in the US, too. The ones who are pro-mask wearing often strongly believe that close to 100% normality can resume so long as masks are worn. They actually get quite angry if you try to tell them otherwise.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:47 PM #2739
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
No way of knowing everyone's particular position, there are any number of people who are estranged from family, lead lonely lives, feel too proud to ask strangers for help etc. Life matters but so does quality of life, it's unreasonable to ask every vulnerable person to stay at home indefinitely seeing no one and never going out. That's already been a lot of people's lives for four months now
Well quality of life will drastically decrease when they are diagnosed with the disease and eventually die. People who recovered still face terrible consequences months after it. It's a question of safety. I agree it's tough, but everybody needs to make that effort for themselves and people around them. Just wear the mask, keep social distancing and limit the times you go out.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 12-07-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:53 PM #2740
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
Well quality of life will drasically decrease when they are diagnosed with the disease and eventually die. People who recovered still face terrible consequences months after it. It's a question of safety. I agree it's tough, but everybody needs to make that effort for themselves and people around them. Just wear the mask, keep social distancing and limit the times you go out.
I do totally agree with this.

It's a very simple instruction you list in your last sentence.

That's what should be the new message not the stay alert muddle we've had since it was changed.

Wear a mask, stay socially distanced, protect your lives
Nice one.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-07-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:22 AM #2741

Old 12-07-2020, 02:23 AM #2742

Old 12-07-2020, 02:25 AM #2743

Old 12-07-2020, 07:23 AM #2744
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

When does Johnson do anything else but hide.
He probably believes the dangerous message being thrown out as to the figure of still rising deaths being seen as good news.

As someone who had this virus, to the point of being in intensive care, surely it's right to expect he could have acquired some humility, understanding and compassion for those and the families of those, who didn't come out of intensive care.
Or have been left with permanent life changing health conditions.

Why is he hiding.
Because he knows why.

I'll not say what I really think from the disdain I have towards him.
Just remind him, he as PM with weeks at least and almost 2 months of being forewarned.
Has presided over taking the UK to lose the 3rd highest death toll of its citizens to this virus.

It's unforgivable and I hope any inquiry that's done correctly will put the main part of the blame for thousands of unnecessary deaths, firmly at his door and his procrastinated decision making.

Those who have lost loved ones, they know the real story.
They must get it out there too when the inquiry eventually starts.

Last edited by joeysteele; 12-07-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:58 AM #2745

Quote:
When does Johnson do anything else but hide.
He probably believes the dangerous message being thrown out as to the figure of still rising deaths being seen as good news.

As someone who had this virus, to the point of being in intensive care, surely it's right to expect he could have acquired some humility, understanding and compassion for those and the families of those, who didn't come out of intensive care.
Or have been left with permanent life changing health conditions.

Why is he hiding.
Because he knows why.

I'll not say what I really think from the disdain I have towards him.
Just remind him, he as PM with weeks at least and almost 2 months of being forewarned.
Has presided over taking the UK to lose the 3rd highest death toll of its citizens to this virus.

It's unforgivable and I hope any inquiry that's done correctly will put the main part of the blame for thousands of unnecessary deaths, firmly at his door and his procrastinated decision making.

Those who have lost loved ones, they know the real story.
They must get it out there too when the inquiry eventually starts.

You’d think that WE were the only country to lose lots of lives or made errors in judgement ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-07-2020, 08:17 AM #2746
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
You’d think that WE were the only country to lose lots of lives or made errors in judgement ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
With forewarning, we are the worst of all the European countries and only behind a Country with 3 times our population and the other over 4 times our population.

I don't particularly judge other Nations, that's for their citizens to, I judge my own.

You may be, possibly or not, impressed we are 3rd in the World for deaths and still rising deaths.
Or impressed with this government's handling of the pandemic.
I'm certainly not.

I actually also have no reservation in saying, when errors of judgement cost people their lives before their time, that's unforgivable.
Or should be.

Those who also know they've lost loved ones unnecessarily before their time feel that too, as I do.
I'm pretty sure on that.

Last edited by joeysteele; 12-07-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:03 AM #2747

Marr asked Labour's Rachel Reeves MP
are they boycotting Facebook?

She said they are no longer advertising on Facebook.

That will please the Conservatives
Old 12-07-2020, 09:24 AM #2748

[Nicola Sturgeon tells Marr
she's considering asking people travelling
from England to quarantine when they arrive in Scotland.
Although sounds unlikely at this stage
Says it's not about politics or the constitution
but public health.]

Political Reporter Joe Pike SkyNewsHD

And Gove MP on Marr said
"No to mandatory Mask wearing in shops."

Last edited by arista; 12-07-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:28 AM #2749
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

The NHS were never overwhelmed, the government made sure that there was excess capacity in hospital beds, so i'm struggling to see how the government can be blamed for the number of deaths. The death rate is directly related to the general health of those that got infected. It's pretty difficult to blame Boris for that as he only came in to power last year.

Something that people don't seem to have considered is that the UK through it's NHS has managed to keep many people alive for decades, long past the time they would have died in other countries. So when covid struck, those were the people that were struck down.

You can only keep back nature for so long, it eventually catches up with everyone.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:31 AM #2750
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Gove is wrong, just my view.
The only thing he was right on was just under 4 years ago when he didn't feel Johnson was right to be leader and PM.
Now the weasel is crawling up his rear.

Nicola Sturgeon, should she feel the need to bring that in, is protecting her citizens and Country.
So just in my own view, she is right.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today