Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 14-10-2020, 09:57 AM #51

Oh that drove me mad that nickname. Cringe.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 03:50 PM #52
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Did you all know that Flora is the voice of Peppa Pig? Just found that out now, Perfectly Splendid!

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 03:54 PM #53
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I also thought it was perfectly splendid that Henry Thomas played Elliott in ET...and he grew up to be Uncle Henry...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 03:58 PM #54
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Oh I read that somewhere (probably here) he's changed a lot

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 14-10-2020, 04:15 PM #55
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
The British kids are so much more irritating than the American ones
I thought Flora was adorable. Miles was annoying though

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 14-10-2020, 04:21 PM #56
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I thought Flora was adorable. Miles was annoying though
She was annoying af saying perfectly splendid over and over to begin with

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 02:03 AM #57
Banned

Banned

I just got one episode left, I'll watch it tomorrow.

Spoiler:

It actually annoys me how we spent so long with Peter and Rebecca when Viola's backstory and the idea of her haunting was just so much better. They really should have focused more on her, and have her be the main antagonist because Peter took things in too much of an AHS direction, I think.

Also the creative team missed a trick with the virtual effects with the ghost, The blank faces aren't scary but when we saw Viola standing over that kid's bed when her face hadn't fully disappeared? That was genuinely unnerving, that's the look they should have kept. A featureless face isn't scary, but a partially faded one? That was eerie as hell.

As for the other episodes, this series is about 4 episodes too long, I think, maybe even 5. Hell, I think they could have done this story (so far, I guess) as a film. I think having two episodes that cover the same ground in explaining being 'tucked away' was too much. Hannah's episode pushed it but when we basically got the episode with Rebecca and Peter that covered the same subject, it just pushed my patience too far. I really liked the Viola episode though, that one brought me back from the brink of being done with this series.

I dunno whether the last episode will tie everything together but I feel like the plot is very scattered and disparate at the moment. Is Edmund a ghost or an hallucination? At this point, he seems forgotten, and I think there was too much time spent with the characters aside from the children not knowing what was going on, and the other ghosts may as well not exist at this point, it seems. Unless the last episode brings it all together, I think there's sadly just a lot of wasted potential in this season.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 04:43 AM #58
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

Spoiler:

It actually annoys me how we spent so long with Peter and Rebecca when Viola's backstory and the idea of her haunting was just so much better. They really should have focused more on her, and have her be the main antagonist because Peter took things in too much of an AHS direction, I think.

Also the creative team missed a trick with the virtual effects with the ghost, The blank faces aren't scary but when we saw Viola standing over that kid's bed when her face hadn't fully disappeared? That was genuinely unnerving, that's the look they should have kept. A featureless face isn't scary, but a partially faded one? That was eerie as hell.

As for the other episodes, this series is about 4 episodes too long, I think, maybe even 5. Hell, I think they could have done this story (so far, I guess) as a film. I think having two episodes that cover the same ground in explaining being 'tucked away' was too much. Hannah's episode pushed it but when we basically got the episode with Rebecca and Peter that covered the same subject, it just pushed my patience too far. I really liked the Viola episode though, that one brought me back from the brink of being done with this series.

I dunno whether the last episode will tie everything together but I feel like the plot is very scattered and disparate at the moment. Is Edmund a ghost or an hallucination? At this point, he seems forgotten, and I think there was too much time spent with the characters aside from the children not knowing what was going on, and the other ghosts may as well not exist at this point, it seems. Unless the last episode brings it all together, I think there's sadly just a lot of wasted potential in this season.
Spoiler:

...I agree that it was all too long and interest started to fade for me ..(like the face of Viola...)...and then I was pulled back in by Viola and her story which was the very reason for the manor’s haunting after all...before Viola, there was no haunting so the focus should have been on her story more, I thought...although I understand her featureless face not being so scary Being disappointing also...?...I quite liked that and felt it had to be that way because it represented the Day of the Dead, type thing because she wasn’t remembered and not being remembered, represents not being loved for those who are dead and especially if their souls are not at peace...?....but then that’s the thing as well of the story trying to entwine both ‘horror’ and love and sadness of lost love etc...and the criticisms it’s received of not really achieving either fully...)...In its own right and as a stand alone, I really enjoyed the story...(...even though a little long...)...but as a season 2 haunting...?...then it just didn’t give what was hoped for, not at all...
Old 15-10-2020, 09:06 AM #59
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you all know that Flora is the voice of Peppa Pig? Just found that out now, Perfectly Splendid!
I knew Peppa was replaced recently - there have actually been 4, the last one was nearly 20 or something so it was time . I did say when watching this that they should have used Flora as the new voice... but apparently she actually is.

Quote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I do think they could have done more "back and forth" between the past and the present from maybe around the midpoint of the episode run, I think it would have added more variety and spiced it all up a bit, and the events from that timeline could be more interwoven with the modern stuff, rather than one dedicated episode right at the end of the run.

Regarding Edmund... he stopped appearing because Dani "symbolically" burned his glasses that she had been keeping with her, signifying that she was moving on. Whether he was a literal ghost or a figment of her PTSD from the accident I think is left deliberately ambiguous but I don't think it really matters... the point was that she was holding onto the past and had finally let it go.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 07:48 PM #60
Banned

Banned

Finished it, I think it ended strongly but the series has a number of issues about it.

Spoiler:

1. Far too AHS-y
2. Not enough story to sustain the plot (ohai again, AHS)
3. Too slow paced and the payoff doesn't justify the pace.
4. Clumsy writing that signposted twists too much.
5. Not enough horror - The fact that things only get going on the last night and most of the characters are unaware of what's going on until Viola drags Flora into the lake is an issue. There should have been more hauntings scattered throughout, I think everyone should have known about the ghosts or suspected they existed much earlier. Considering Viola kills anyone in her path, you'd think there'd be more of a legend about her or lore within the town and/or house. The other ghosts also had creepy visuals that could have been used to great effect but simply were not. Why did we only see the attic at the end? Why weren't the dolls in the basement used more? etc.
6. Not enough character development to make the drama aspects work. I thought it was perfectly sad at the end but I wasn't any close to bawling like the creators wanted me to, mainly because certain characters were a little undercooked. Less time should have been spent with Peter and Rebecca, and more with the principal cast and the threat of Viola.

I have a lot of issues with it, but I'd give it a 7/10 overall, I think. The last two episodes really pulled it together, I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I knew Peppa was replaced recently - there have actually been 4, the last one was nearly 20 or something so it was time . I did say when watching this that they should have used Flora as the new voice... but apparently she actually is.

Spoiler:

I do think they could have done more "back and forth" between the past and the present from maybe around the midpoint of the episode run, I think it would have added more variety and spiced it all up a bit, and the events from that timeline could be more interwoven with the modern stuff, rather than one dedicated episode right at the end of the run.

Regarding Edmund... he stopped appearing because Dani "symbolically" burned his glasses that she had been keeping with her, signifying that she was moving on. Whether he was a literal ghost or a figment of her PTSD from the accident I think is left deliberately ambiguous but I don't think it really matters... the point was that she was holding onto the past and had finally let it go.
Spoiler:

I suspected as much but it really didn't feel like much of an ending considering he was still there when the episode ended. I thought they were angling for a scenario where coming to terms with what happened wasn't going to be enough. It ended up feeling like a plot point that was brought to a conclusion but not truly finished.

Yeah, that would have been better, although I did like the Viola episode. Admittedly, I'm not sure about her literally choking people to death, though. I thought how they handled the dead harming the living in Hill House was better in how they affected the mind rather than killed people with their own hands. That being said, seeing her drag people around was an effective image.
Old 15-10-2020, 08:00 PM #61
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I don’t get how Viola walked into the parents bedroom however many times and nothing happened?

Old 15-10-2020, 09:13 PM #62
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I don’t get how Viola walked into the parents bedroom however many times and nothing happened?
That's what I thought, I just assumed that she doesn't take people unless they're kids or they get in the way since she didn't harm the plague patients in the bed either. Maybe she just sees an empty bed if someone is sleeping in it.
Old 15-10-2020, 09:28 PM #63

I thought Peter and Rebecca made it very AHS-y, which isn't really a good thing at all.
Old 15-10-2020, 09:29 PM #64

Read an article earlier about the fact that they did a lot of post-production work on iPads due to Covid and it left a lot of the ghosts that they hide in shots virtually invisible.

I spotted the little child in the kitchen and the plague doctor in the background of one scene, but the scenes in the manor weren't nearly as unsettling as what it was like with Hill House.
Old 15-10-2020, 09:37 PM #65
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Read an article earlier about the fact that they did a lot of post-production work on iPads due to Covid and it left a lot of the ghosts that they hide in shots virtually invisible.

I spotted the little child in the kitchen and the plague doctor in the background of one scene, but the scenes in the manor weren't nearly as unsettling as what it was like with Hill House.
There was an article on some website saying here’s all the ghosts you missed! And literally even when they were circled you could barely see them

That being said I literally only ever saw one in Hill House anyway so it never really added anything for me

Old 16-10-2020, 02:12 AM #66
Banned

Banned

I didn't know they did that this year, I only saw the Plague Doctor and assumed he wasn't meant to be a hidden ghost.
Old 16-10-2020, 02:49 AM #67

Quote:
I didn't know they did that this year, I only saw the Plague Doctor and assumed he wasn't meant to be a hidden ghost.
Yeah, apparently all of the figures in the doll house corresponded to where you would see each ghost.

Amazing detail if you could actually see them.
Old 16-10-2020, 04:45 AM #68
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Omg did anyone else cry at the finale or am I just emotional bc I drank too much last night
...going back to Smithy...yeah, I found the ending../...the last episode incredibly emotional and quite tear-filled...

Spoiler:

...although it was lovely that Dani and Jamie had, had so many happy years together in their lives before Dani took her traded place in the lake...it was always that thing that the sands of time were running and she never knew how long they would have together...like having a terminal illness and knowing that one day and would that one day be very soon..so much time just staring into the bathtub...it was also heartbreaking when Jamie turned her chair to the door...which presumably she had done every night and would do every night in the hope that Dani’s spirit would come back...something that would never be because there was nothing for Dani to come back for, she was at peace and she had given peace to Viola and she had given life to Flora and she had ‘lived a whole lifetime’ with the love of her life...
Old 16-10-2020, 04:48 AM #69
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Spoiler:

...if Peter and Rebecca had taken the lives/bodies of Flora and Miles then it would have been brother and sister...(...and also children...)...in a romantic/sexual relationship...
Old 25-10-2020, 08:08 PM #70
Banned

Banned

On reflection, after thinking about it for a while. I've decided I liked this a lot more than I initially thought it I did.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:11 PM #71
Adios

Adios

Well I finished it.

Was a tad confusing until the last couple episodes.

I don’t think it was as good as Hill House tbh. It had some lovely emotional moments

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 04:55 PM #72
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

I'm on Episode 7 and actually really enjoying it despite people saying it's got nothing on Hill House. I like the characters and the way their stories are told. It's quite sad how tragic all their stories are.
Old 30-10-2020, 05:05 PM #73
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...yeah I really liked it actually, Hayden...it wasn’t what I had expected and not so much a horror story...but I loved all of the entwining stories and the tragedy of them all...a few jumps as well...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bly, haunting, manor, trailer