Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-09-2020, 12:05 PM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Durham freshers expelled over ‘lads’ group discussing having sex with ‘poorest girl’.

A Durham University fresher who was member of a “lads” Whatsapp group where students discussed competing to have sex with the poorest girl has been expelled.

The student, who was due to start at the university next month, has had his place withdrawn following an investigation into the “utterly abhorrent” remarks.

An inquiry was launched after it emerged that prospective freshers allegedly planned to hold a competition to have sex with the poorest student they could find.

Screenshots from various online conversations, thought to involve teenagers who are due to start their studies this month, were shared on the Overheard at Durham Uni Facebook page.

One commented to the group: "Have I told you about the posh lads competing on ********** the poorest girl."

Another wrote George Floyd, the black man who died during his arrest by white police officers in the US, "had it coming".

In one of the conversations, freshers allegedly boasted that they will “shag a different girl every night”.

Some of the contents of the conversation were published online, which showed incoming students appearing to discuss how they intend to sniff the drug ketamine “off the first girl’s t**s that is keen”.

Following the university's investigation which involved a lawyer and an ex-police officer, one student has had his place at Durham withdrawn.

Jeremy Cook, a pro-vice-chancellor at the university, said: "Recently Durham University was made aware of some utterly abhorrent comments on social media purported to have been posted by Durham students.

"As we said at the time, we condemn the content and behaviour demonstrated in these social media posts, which is entirely unacceptable and violates the values and behaviours that we uphold as a University community."

He added: "As a result of this investigation, which was conducted under the University's Admissions Policy, one male who was due to begin studying at Durham University next month has, in accordance with the terms of their offer, had their offer withdrawn.

"This was due to his behaviour falling short of the values we uphold, as reflected in our regulations."

Mr Cook said two others were found not to have broken the rules and can start their studies, while others were investigated and were found not to have any association with the university.

The investigation also uncovered evidence of individuals “seemingly acting under pseudonyms, falsely claiming to be Durham University students and instigating social media conversations in order to fraudulently sell tickets for non-existent student events, including during Induction Week”.

Mr Cook said they reported their findings to the police, and that investigations were continuing into other comments.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/durham-fre...170623994.html
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:25 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Why are posh, rich people always the sleaziest
Old 24-09-2020, 12:38 PM #3
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Not sure that was the right decision, if I look back at my 18 year old self I said and did a lot of things I wouldn't be that proud of today, because that is what growing up and maturing involves, making mistakes and learning. An official reprimand with him being removed if there was a repeat would be enough I think.

People need to learn fast today that what they post online or even in private groups even if it just to impress their mates, etc can come back to bite them on the bum even years later

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:53 PM #4
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

it's the environment where so much comedy originates, people really need to stop taking what others say so seriously
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:56 PM #5
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Not sure that was the right decision, if I look back at my 18 year old self I said and did a lot of things I wouldn't be that proud of today, because that is what growing up and maturing involves, making mistakes and learning. An official reprimand with him being removed if there was a repeat would be enough I think.

People need to learn fast today that what they post online or even in private groups even if it just to impress their mates, etc can come back to bite them on the bum even years later
He was probably just trying to impress friends and seem a lad, he likely didn’t even mean any of the things he said and in terms was harmless. Lads WhatsApp chats are brutal at that age, often no harm Is intended and it’s more of a shock value.

People often say things without Thinking/meaning it all the time And always have done , but with social media And messages now it is saved forever and can sadly be used against people.

I agree it seems harsh and isn’t given him the chance to grow up. Yes he should be punished and yes he should receive a final warning, but expellation seems harsh

Last edited by DouglasS; 24-09-2020 at 12:57 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:01 PM #6
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I can see both sides I suppose, I understand the point Cherie is making however rape in university settings is a problem and talking about women in this way is really unacceptable and encourages that culture of treating women like objects which can lead to sexual assaults/rapes.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:01 PM #7
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

He must of said something particularly nasty to get the boot.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:01 PM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
He was probably just trying to impress friends and seem a lad, he likely didn’t even mean any of the things he said and in terms was harmless. Lads WhatsApp chats are brutal at that age, often no harm Is intended and it’s more of a shock value.

People often say things without Thinking/meaning it all the time And always have done , but with social media And messages now it is saved forever and can sadly be used against people.

I agree it seems harsh and isn’t given him the chance to grow up. Yes he should be punished and yes he should receive a final warning, but expellation seems harsh
yeah I find it crazy, talking about shagging and drinking is just normal stuff at that age, he would have been in a new group with people he didn't know, tough lesson for him, the whole group have probably never had any action and would need to lie down after half a shandy, also you wonder on the impact on the snitch and whether they will have any ongoing guilt about it. if he was talking about shooting up a halls or something it would be a different story

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 24-09-2020, 01:10 PM #9
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Appalling, its like the **** the piggy game
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:15 PM #10
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Pretty sure there was a very similar story last year?

Old 24-09-2020, 01:20 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Losing his place at university is literally the perfect opportunity for him to learn his lesson and grow up
Old 24-09-2020, 01:26 PM #12
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Quote:

Hmm, I dunno, while sometimes you can write stuff off as 'edgy banter', stuff like this feels very exploitative and targetted, and just overall, pretty damn creepy. I think excusing behaviour like this as 'boys will be boys' can be dangerous.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:30 PM #13
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
Hmm, I dunno, while sometimes you can write stuff off as 'edgy banter', stuff like this feels very exploitative and targetted, and just overall, pretty damn creepy. I think excusing behaviour like this as 'boys will be boys' can be dangerous.
Exactly. It reinforces that misogynistic culture that normalises objectifying women. It's the same type ****e that excuses Trumps "grab them by the pussy" line as "locker room banter".

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 24-09-2020, 01:32 PM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
if they were 28 I would say yes, at 18 and wet behind the ears no

Old 24-09-2020, 01:34 PM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Exactly. It reinforces that misogynistic culture that normalises objectifying women. It's the same type ****e that excuses Trumps "grab them by the pussy" line as "locker room banter".
You don't think alot of young women don't do exactly the same thing when they get together

his crime was naievty and trusting a group he had just met.

anyway I am sure we had a very similar story last year, its a bit like the Giant Ants are coming to the UK at this stage

Old 24-09-2020, 01:36 PM #16
-

-

Hmmm I can sort of see both sides in that they hadn't even started University yet and it was, most likely, just "Billy Big Bollocks" chat and most of them wouldn't "shag a different girl" per YEAR at Uni let alone every night. It's sometimes hard to remember that people just starting Uni are teenagers and are dumb as ****. I know I know "they are 18 and so they are adults blah blah blah" but no, sorry, freshers are kids.

That's not to make light of it either - there should have been significant repercussions... there IS a huge problem with this stuff in Universities and (frankly)this has only gone this far because someone reported it. It happens constantly in every University and needs to be tackled. Most of it is all mouth but that's not really the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
He must of said something particularly nasty to get the boot.
I agree with that though - sounds like it was a fairly large group with multiple people making these "jokes" and only one of them lost their place... which suggests that that particular individual took it further than the others. My guess would be some sort of suggestion of using force/"not asking for consent" which even as a "joke" would likely have been good reason to withdraw the offer.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:37 PM #17
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You don't think alot of young women don't do exactly the same thing when they get together

his crime was naievty and trusting a group he had just met.

anyway I am sure we had a very similar story last year, its a bit like the Giant Ants are coming to the UK at this stage
I wouldn't think so no? You think girls organise competitions to bang the poorest guy or sniff ketamine off the nearest willing ball bag they can find?

I get what you mean about us all being a bit idiotic at that age however rape and sexual assaults within the university setting are a problem so this kind of stuff has to be taken seriously. Maybe it could have been dealt with in a better way than just expelling the guy (unless there is more to the story that is) by educating the group or whatever but it needed dealing with

PS I don't get the Giant Ant reference

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Niamh.; 24-09-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:39 PM #18
-

-

Quote:
Again I agree, it's not even about "excusing it", you can point out that their "edgy banter" is immature and shameful and make it very clear that it won't be tolerated. I do think at that age they should get a strong warning before anything else though. Who wasn't coming out with some utterly ludicrous **** at 18.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:39 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Then we should do everything we can to stop these young people from growing older still believing that way is right, no?

Last edited by Liam-; 24-09-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:39 PM #20
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I wouldn't think so no? You think girls organise competitions to bang the poorest guy or sniff ketamine of the nearest willing ball bag they can find?

I get what you mean about us all being a bit idiotic at that age however rape and sexual assaults within the university setting are a problem so this kind of stuff has to be taken seriously. Maybe it could have been dealt with in a better way than just expelling the guy (unless there is more to the story that is) by educating the group or whatever but it need dealing with

PS I don't get the Giant Ant reference
Every year there is a newspaper report of giant ants heading to the UK at some point

this feels a bit like that

anyway I think girls can be just as gruesome when they get into a gang

Old 24-09-2020, 01:41 PM #21
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Then we shout do everything we can to stop these young people from growing older still believing that way is right, no?
moving out, looking after yourself and life lessons do that? sitting on your arse at home does nothing for most people

Old 24-09-2020, 01:41 PM #22
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Then we should do everything we can to stop these young people from growing older still believing that way is right, no?
That involves conversations and education though, not just "ban this filth" mentality.

Though again I think there must be more to this story if just one of them lost his place - as I doubt it was just him making the "jokes". Would be reasonable to assume he took it to a level beyond that.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:42 PM #23
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Again I agree, it's not even about "excusing it", you can point out that their "edgy banter" is immature and shameful and make it very clear that it won't be tolerated. I do think at that age they should get a strong warning before anything else though. Who wasn't coming out with some utterly ludicrous **** at 18.
Many on TiBB apparently came out of the womb mental age of 30

Old 24-09-2020, 01:42 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
moving out, looking after yourself and life lessons do that? sitting on your arse at home does nothing for most people
I doubt living in halls was going to teach him not to treat women like disposable objects or treat people less well off with respect
Old 24-09-2020, 01:46 PM #25

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Also, people can be sensible at 18, people’s behaviour and their attitudes can’t always just be put down to their age, it’s such a cop out, maybe he’s just a sexist, classist pig? Not all teenagers are like that, most teenagers get drunk and steal traffic cones, not conspire to seduce girls and humiliate them based on their lack of wealth and class privilege

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discussing, durham, expelled, freshers, girl’, group, sex, ‘lads’, ‘poorest