Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The Olympics Discuss The Olympics Games & Winter Olympics.

Old 29-04-2021, 11:26 AM #1

Default New sports at Tokyo Olympics - Climbing, Surfing, Skateboarding, Karate and Baseball

Are you interested in watching these new sports to be at this year's Olympics? (Baseball is a returning sport).

Quote:
Tokyo 2020: What you need to know about the new Olympic sports

There will be five (well, actually six) new sports added to the programme at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) considered multiple factors when deciding which sports would make the cut: the impact on gender equality, the youth appeal of the sports and the legacy of adding them to the Tokyo Games.

Here’s our guide to the new sports and how they will look at the Olympics next summer.

Sport Climbing
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, rather than climbing up it, you’ll know that climbing is the new brunch - everyone is doing it.

The International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) website says the sport is enjoying an increase in popularity, with an estimated 25 million people across the world climbing regularly. They also estimate that between 1,000 and 1,500 people are trying climbing for the first time, every single day, in the United States.

With the worldwide climbing community growing there’s never been a better time to introduce the sport to the Olympics.
In Tokyo it will be a combined format featuring three disciplines: speed climbing, bouldering and lead climbing - all of which take place on artificial climbing walls. The gold medal will be awarded to the climber with the highest cumulative score. There will be both men’s and women’s events at the Olympics next year, with 20 climbers competing in each.

A variety of different skills and strengths will be needed to compete across all three disciplines - it’s like asking a sprinter to run 100m, 1500m and then do the hurdles, kind of.

Speed climbing
This involves two climbers racing up a fixed route on a 15m wall, men and women compete on identical routes.

In the men’s event the quickest times are around five to six seconds, while the women’s are usually won in around seven or eight. In an event where speed is of the essence, a false start means instant disqualification.

Bouldering
In this event climbers scale a number of fixed routes on a 4m wall within a given time, without ropes, over a safety mat. The routes are called ‘problems’ and the athlete that ‘solves’ the most in the lowest number of attempts wins.

In qualifications and semifinals, the climbers observe the problems for the first time during their first attempt, they are kept in an isolation room beforehand. In the finals they can preview the problem during a group observation time of two minutes per boulder. Different problems are set for men and women.

Lead climbing
This sees the competitors attempt to climb as high as possible on an overhanging 15m wall within a six minute time limit. They are secured by a rope. The athlete who climbs to the highest point wins.

Competitors can preview the route during a collective observation time of six minutes, but cannot attempt the route prior to the competition.

When a climber grabs the final hold at the top of a route with both hands, they have completed it.

Surfing
Surfing also makes its Olympic debut next summer on the real waves at Shid****a beach, 40 miles outside of Tokyo on Japan’s pacific coast. Twenty men and 20 women will compete in separate competitions.

Surfing competitions are usually divided by the size of the board, shortboards will be used at the Tokyo 2020 Games. They are approximatley six feet (1.8m) in length, compared to longboards which are around nine feet (2.7m).

The competition will use a four-man heat structure - four athletes will compete at a time. The best two of each heat continue to the next round.

Shortboards have a pointed tip which makes them quicker to manoeuvre and receptive to dynamic techniques.
Common surfing etiquette will be used:

only one rider may ride a wave
the surfer closest to the peak has ‘right of way’
any interference with another surfer can incur a penalty or point deductions
There will be a panel of judges to determine performance. Scores are based on difficulty of manoeuvres and how they are executed, taking into account speed, power and flow.

Riding as many waves as possible and performing loads of manoeuvres is not going to pick up the highest scores, doing a variety of dynamic moves on large waves is the way to win gold.

Like with planning routes in climbing, surfing involves plenty of mind games as athletes can throw each other off by pretending not to be interested in a wave or by paddling but not catching it.

Skateboarding
The Olympics are getting really down with the kids with this one. Skateboarding is rolling into Tokyo 2020 with two events, Park and Street.

The Street Skateboarding event is held on a, wait for it, ‘street-like’ course.
In the Street event, the competitors perform individually and show off their skills or ‘tricks’ on stairs, handrails, curbs, benches, walls and slopes.

They are scored based on the level of difficulty, height, speed, originality, execution and move composition and include the following:

Slide: A slide is a trick where the skateboarder slides sideways either on the deck (wooden board) or on the wheels.

Grind: This involves the skateboarder sliding on the trucks of their skateboard (the part which connect the wheels and bearings to the deck of the skateboard).

Ollie: An ollie is a trick where the rider and board leap into the air without the use of the rider's hands.

Regular stance: This is the side-on position taken by skateboarders with their left leg facing the direction they are moving.

Goofy stance: When a skateboarder rides with their right leg facing the direction they are moving. When they swap the position of the front leg in a competition they go from main stance to switch stance. A trick performed in switch stance would usually increase the degree of difficulty.

The Park event will take place on a hollowed-out course featuring a series of curved surfaces that rise steeply. Competitors climb the curves at speed and perform mid-air tricks. They are scored on the difficulty, originality and execution of their tricks.

Karate
Karate in the Olympics will consist of kata (forms) and kumite (sparring). A Karate practitioner is called a karateka.

The Tokyo 2020 Games will see 80 athletes competing in the two styles. There will be a kata men’s and women’s event, and three weight classes each for men’s and women’s kumite events.

There are 102 kata that are recognized by the World Karate Federation.
Kata
This is a demonstration of a series of offensive and defensive movements made to be practiced alone targeting a virtual opponent.

Competitors at the 2020 Games choose which kata they want to demonstrate. They are scored on strength, speed, rhythm, balance, power of strikes and kicks, solidity, clarity, force of movements… and that’s not even everything.

Kumite
Also known as sparring, is when two karateka face each other. They compete on a matted area measuring 8m x 8m. Karateka wear a traditional suit known as a karate gi. It is tied with a belt or sash called an obi.

In kumite, competitors are allowed to use three techniques: striking, kicking and punching.

They have to try and land strikes on the target area of their opponent’s body to gain points. They get more points for attacks with good form, power and control.

Baseball/Softball
Baseball and softball are back on the Olympic programme after being absent since the Beijing 2008 Games.

Their reinstatement follows an invitation by the IOC for the host country to propose the temporary inclusion of additional events. They suggested women’s softball and men’s baseball considering their popularity in Japan.

The most popular pitch is the windmill pitch - the arm traces a circle to employ centrifugal force to give the ball maximum speed.
Baseball
There are two teams of nine players who aim to score the most ‘runs’ by hitting a ball and running around a sequence of bases to reach the ‘home plate’. The teams take it in turns to bat and field, these are called ‘innings’. They switch when the opposing team gets three players out. The team with the most runs after nine innings of alternate batting and fielding wins.

Softball
Thought to have been introduced as an indoor version of baseball for the off-season, softball was introduced to the Olympics as a women’s sport in Atlanta 1996, and then removed with baseball in 2008.

It is very similar to baseball but with a shorter distance between pitcher and batter, the ball in larger and less dense, and the bat is shorter.

The ball must be thrown underhand when pitching, this means the ball is released while the wrist is passing the side of the body.

With the introduction of these new sports, will young Olympians be running, rolling and riding circles around their senior counterparts?

And if you’re thinking, "I fancy being in the Olympics,” but you’ve missed the boat on these sports, never fear - Paris 2024 Games are currently bidding for breakdancing to be at their Olympics.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zm4h7nb
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 11:28 AM #2
Sod orf

Sod orf

No Darts?
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 11:35 AM #3

Yes The Karate
is good when they draw blood
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 11:38 AM #4
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes The Karate
is good when they draw blood
They wouldn't get blood out of me, I'd Mr Miyagi their arses.
Old 29-04-2021, 11:40 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

They don't look to interesting, maybe the karate

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 11:42 AM #6
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I know! Who in their right mind wants to watch climbing?

Skateboarding? That's just a kids toy. About time these sad sacks grew out of it.
Old 29-04-2021, 11:45 AM #7
Sod orf

Sod orf

Next thing you know they'll have a Yo-Yo event.

Last edited by Alf; 29-04-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 29-04-2021, 11:50 AM #8
Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

E-Sports will also be include in the future as an event.

Last edited by Calderyon; 29-04-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Calderyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 01:52 PM #9
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

am excited to see all of these new sports too

everytime whenever there is a debuting sport event, i have to see it at least once, and depending on if i like it then i can watch more times or no longer follow
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 02:01 PM #10
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

We should win the womens skateboarding

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 02:32 PM #11
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I'll definitely be interested in the Karate

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 02:59 PM #12
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

The climbing wall event is crazy. They just throw themselves up a massive wall in about 5 seconds.

I've started going to climbing gyms as I want to get into bouldering. I can't explain how weak I am and how strong these folks are.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 19-07-2021 at 02:59 PM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 03:03 PM #13
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Climing is good I seen it on bt sports there clim fast up the wall the press a big red button if you slip you lose an lest yhe other one all so steeps
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 03:29 PM #14

I watch a lot of climbing and mountaineering videos so I'll be interested in that.

Martial arts are always good to watch also.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
baseball, climbing, karate, olympics, skateboarding, sports, surfing, tokyo