Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #51
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,721


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
They've literally just won Best British Group at The Brits and made history in being the only girl group to do so. Even if they did decide to call it a day for some reason what a legacy.

Oh but some bloke off a big brother forum says they are past their best so it must be true.

Well...lets just wait and see shall we
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #52
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 44,630

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
I never said I had a problem with the content of the documentary...
IMO they would have had more of an impact on these issues had they raised them 2/3 years ago at the height of their fame......but the money they were making was obviously more important than their mental health at the time.
I hate racism and I hate bullying and I empathise with what they had to endure..both her and Jesy but why wait until now to bring it to light. People are having to endure bullying and racism all over the world but don’t have the platform they do and don’t have their wealth as some sort of comfort...because it is a comfort.
The same thing would have been said then, 'Oh why didn't they say it sooner, I'm gonna make ignorant remarks about their mental health and their state of mind when I don't know their story or their struggles.'

If someone has suffered from abuse, it is down to them how they share their story, abuse doesn't have a time limit, you don't have to stay silent or speak about it at a specific time.

At the end of the day, a black woman has spoken about her experiences of racism, and white people are trying to dictate how and when she should have spoken about it and are making out that what she is saying is invalid because she's successful or has money. It's all just deeply ignorant.

You say one thing to look good, but your intent says another. 'She said have spoken about this when I dictate she should have (which would have been never), and she has no reason to complain because she has money and success and that makes racial abuse okay! There's also plenty of other people suffering so she should just put up and shut up because that's obviously the smart approach to mental health and getting people to discuss hard topics!'
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #53
DouglasS
Who, Douglas?
 
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 6,924

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
They are on their way out....they have peaked and are on the slippery slope. It happens to all bands and you are a moron if you cant see it.
Very true, if you compare their sales, interest to 4-5 years ago they’ve plummeted. You only have to compare album sales it about 3x down.... Brit award or not less people listen and buy their music...

They definitely peaked years ago, don’t know why people are trying to argue against it as if sales/music interest hasn’t declined when it has
__________________
Douglas’s Love Island season 5 least faves: Yewande, Anna, Jourdan, Joanna and Lavena

Last edited by DouglasS; 15-05-2021 at 03:42 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #54
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,721


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
Very true, if you compare their sales, interest to 4-5 years ago they’ve plummeted. You only have to compare album sales it about 3x down.... Brit award or not less people listen and buy their music...

They definitely peaked years ago, don’t know why people are trying to argue against it as if sales/music interest hasn’t declined when it has


....and in most cases when one leaves its never quite the same. The Spice Girls dwindled when Geri left...Take That when Robbie left... Also they are young women now...one has a baby on the way...they know its the end. People are in denial
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #55
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,721


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The same thing would have been said then, 'Oh why didn't they say it sooner, I'm gonna make ignorant remarks about their mental health and their state of mind when I don't know their story or their struggles.'

If someone has suffered from abuse, it is down to them how they share their story, abuse doesn't have a time limit, you don't have to stay silent or speak about it at a specific time.

At the end of the day, a black woman has spoken about her experiences of racism, and white people are trying to dictate how and when she should have spoken about it and are making out that what she is saying is invalid because she's successful or has money. It's all just deeply ignorant.

You say one thing to look good, but your intent says another. 'She said have spoken about this when I dictate she should have (which would have been never), and she has no reason to complain because she has money and success and that makes racial abuse okay! There's also plenty of other people suffering so she should just put up and shut up because that's obviously the smart approach to mental health and getting people to discuss hard topics!'

Its my opinion...get over it.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #56
Nicky91
Nickeh
 
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 49,844
Blog Entries: 31

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
DOI 2020: Maura Higgins
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
X Factor Celebrity: Vinnie Jones


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
Very true, if you compare their sales, interest to 4-5 years ago they’ve plummeted. You only have to compare album sales it about 3x down.... Brit award or not less people listen and buy their music...

They definitely peaked years ago, don’t know why people are trying to argue against it as if sales/music interest hasn’t declined when it has
where are your sales, where is your music


oh wait
__________________
#SameSexOnStrictlyTibbDancing

Nicky G & Johannes Radebe
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #57
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,417

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Its my opinion...get over it.
Right, but according to the actual physical, recorded facts, you’re very wrong, get over it
__________________
Liam- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #58
Amy Jade
Queen of Walford
 
Amy Jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 52,106

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
IAC2016: Sam Quek
X Factor 2016: Saara Aalto


Default

All sales are down because of streaming but some don't deal in facts.
__________________
Amy Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #59
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,417

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

The lengths people go to demean people for speaking up about things that affect them personally is hilarious, a black woman speaks out about her experiences and set out to try and make a difference and white people make it their mission to mock her career and her talents because of it, it’s disgusting, but not at all surprising for this place
__________________

Last edited by Liam-; 15-05-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Liam- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #60
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73,132


Default

Isnt she mixed-race and not black

Did i not see her mum is white?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #61
Amy Jade
Queen of Walford
 
Amy Jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 52,106

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
IAC2016: Sam Quek
X Factor 2016: Saara Aalto


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Isnt she mixed-race and not black

Did i not see her mum is white?
Watch the documentary and she discusses her heritage.

But what difference does that actually make if her mum was white?
__________________
Amy Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #62
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,802

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 1: The Vivienne
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Isnt she mixed-race and not black

Did i not see her mum is white?
Ignorance much, yes she's mixed race . And she has still experienced racism as she is not white.

Even Jade felt she had to hide her heritage , she's also mixed race .she happens to be Arabic.
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #63
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73,132


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
Watch the documentary and she discusses her heritage.

But what difference does that actually make if her mum was white?
well people in this thread keep calling her black and she isnt black she is mixed race

at least stick to the facts
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #64
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73,132


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Ignorance much, yes she's mixed race . And she has still experienced racism as she is not white.

Even Jade felt she had to hide her heritage , she's also mixed race .she happens to be Arabic.
I think arabic is classed as white - it is in the USA
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #65
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 44,630

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Its my opinion...get over it.
Do I really need to inform you how opinions work again? You can have an opinion, and everyone else can have their views on what you are saying. 'It's my opinion' is not a shield, especially when it comes to ignorance.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #66
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,802

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 1: The Vivienne
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
They are on their way out....they have peaked and are on the slippery slope. It happens to all bands and you are a moron if you cant see it.
Did you watch THE BRIT AWARDS , even after Jesy leaving they still WON best British group.
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #67
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73,132


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Did you watch THE BRIT AWARDS .
Not many did

Viewing figures for the Brit Awards have plunged for the fourth year in a row
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #68
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,802

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 1: The Vivienne
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I think arabic is classed as white - it is in the USA
She is Egyptian & Yemeni
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #69
Amy Jade
Queen of Walford
 
Amy Jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 52,106

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
IAC2016: Sam Quek
X Factor 2016: Saara Aalto


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
well people in this thread keep calling her black and she isnt black she is mixed race

at least stick to the facts
Both her parents are in fact black, her mum is Jamaican and her dad is from Barbados. You're clueless and just trying to hush a black woman calling out blatantly racism.
__________________
Amy Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #70
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,802

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 1: The Vivienne
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
Both her parents are in fact black, her mum is Jamaican and her dad is from Barbados. You're clueless and just trying to hush a black woman calling out blatantly racism.
I was told " Arabic is white " when I tried to explained Jade's background
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #71
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,802

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 1: The Vivienne
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Not many did

Viewing figures for the Brit Awards have plunged for the fourth year in a row
Well little mix are doing well for themselves, especially after that achievement in history.
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #72
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 73,132


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
Both her parents are in fact black, her mum is Jamaican and her dad is from Barbados. You're clueless and just trying to hush a black woman calling out blatantly racism.
no i just googled her mum, after seeing her on that clip, and she looked white and it said she was from HIgh Wycombe

its really not that deep

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 15-05-2021 at 05:25 PM.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #73
Amy Jade
Queen of Walford
 
Amy Jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 52,106

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
IAC2016: Sam Quek
X Factor 2016: Saara Aalto


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
no i just googled her mum and she looked white and it said she was from HIgh Wycombe

its really not that deep
Even if she was white what actual difference does that make at all?

__________________
Amy Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #74
Amy Jade
Queen of Walford
 
Amy Jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 52,106

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
IAC2016: Sam Quek
X Factor 2016: Saara Aalto


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I was told " Arabic is white " when I tried to explained Jade's background
The racists on here hate to see a poc doing well basically. Let's call a spade a spade.
__________________
Amy Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #75
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,802

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 1: The Vivienne
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East


Default

At the end of the day unless you're in Leigh-Ann's or Jade's shoes , nobody will ever understand what they've had to go through.

Some people are so ignorant in life , in the past when I use to hear people say "coloured" , I use to think what a daft description they're not a piece of crayon. And I use to hate hearing "half cast" and I had to correct people.

So today there's no excuse really to still be this uneducated. It's ashame it's still there though.
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
13, 2021, 9pm, bbc1, bbc2, leighanne, pop, power, race

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts