Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:21 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Default Should parents be allowed to withdraw their children from relationship education.

Bearing in mind relationship education is statutory on the teaching equilibrium, and parents will be find if they allow their children to pull out of these classes.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:40 PM #2

I suppose but I don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s not like too many parents are going to take time out to lecture their kids about the ol. twig and berry, periods and safe sex.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:40 PM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

Is this when they are not on strike or on constant holidays?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:48 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
I suppose but I don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s not like too many parents are going to take time out to lecture their kids about the ol. twig and berry, periods and safe sex.
It's not that simple, the kids get taught about some very diverse ralationships, such as lesbianism and homosexuality. What if the parents religious beliefs go against that? Cause let's face it, it kind of goes against what kids are taught in religious education, where they are taught to accept different types of religions...maybe not christian beliefs, but other religions seem to be force fed.

So where dies that leave a religious mother and father who are strongly Christian. Can they not therefore demand their kids sit out these lessons like the jehova kids did assembly and xmas.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:59 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Is this when they are not on strike or on constant holidays?
It’ll be 2029 before strike is over at this point.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:01 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
It's not that simple, the kids get taught about some very diverse ralationships, such as lesbianism and homosexuality. What if the parents religious beliefs go against that? Cause let's face it, it kind of goes against what kids are taught in religious education, where they are taught to accept different types of religions...maybe not christian beliefs, but other religions seem to be force fed.

So where dies that leave a religious mother and father who are strongly Christian. Can they not therefore demand their kids sit out these lessons like the jehova kids did assembly and xmas.
Christian/strongly culturally Christian parents are always going to take their kids out of those lessons when it comes to things like LGBT+ acceptance. That’s a good point.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:06 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Or is it all about giving the kids the power to make up their own minds after being given the facts?

If so, where does that end? What if a kid wants to have sex with an adult? Does it then become an issue?
Old 02-05-2023, 06:11 PM #8
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Christian/strongly culturally Christian parents are always going to take their kids out of those lessons when it comes to things like LGBT+ acceptance. That’s a good point.
Redway you are so 2022

its now LGBTQQIP2SAA

and im not even joking

Old 02-05-2023, 06:59 PM #9

Parents should have open and honest conversations with their kids about these matters anyway. My son has asked some pretty leading questions anyway about relationships and I have told him facts in language he will understand. He knows he can come and ask me anything and I'll answer as much as I know is true and we will google if there is anything we are unsure of. It's only been difficult when he's asked anything about boy issues that I don't know so we have to resort to google

I have no issues with what school will teach him....its good to be armed with as much information as possible.

I have no religious beliefs that would be offended by any teaching methods
Old 02-05-2023, 07:08 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Parents should have open and honest conversations with their kids about these matters anyway. My son has asked some pretty leading questions anyway about relationships and I have told him facts in language he will understand. He knows he can come and ask me anything and I'll answer as much as I know is true and we will google if there is anything we are unsure of. It's only been difficult when he's asked anything about boy issues that I don't know so we have to resort to google

I have no issues with what school will teach him....its good to be armed with as much information as possible.

I have no religious beliefs that would be offended by any teaching methods

Can I ask 2 questions please.

1. How old is your child.
2 Do you think they would have come and asked about adult things other than the birds and the bees if they hadnt been fed it at school.

Q 2, if you can keep in mind the whole LQBT movement was originally about acceptance and not about teaching the acts that separate it from the birds and the bees.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:56 PM #11

Quote:
Can I ask 2 questions please.

1. How old is your child.
2 Do you think they would have come and asked about adult things other than the birds and the bees if they hadnt been fed it at school.

Q 2, if you can keep in mind the whole LQBT movement was originally about acceptance and not about teaching the acts that separate it from the birds and the bees.

He is 12
He has learned far more about sex and relationships from friends, msm, movies, general news etc than he has at school. He will hear a term and ask about it. As I said we have very open dialogue and if he asks I answer in age appropriate language.

I would rather he know and understand what a relationship is about and know that his happiness is all that matters, I couldn't care less who he falls in love with as long as he is in a happy healthy relationship.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:58 PM #12
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
What? Of course parents talk to their kids about that stuff, that's our job fgs

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:01 PM #13
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
He is 12
He has learned far more about sex and relationships from friends, msm, movies, general news etc than he has at school. He will hear a term and ask about it. As I said we have very open dialogue and if he asks I answer in age appropriate language.

I would rather he know and understand what a relationship is about and know that his happiness is all that matters, I couldn't care less who he falls in love with as long as he is in a happy healthy relationship.

couldnt agree more

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:02 PM #14
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
He is 12

"He has learned far more about sex and relationships from friends, msm, movies, general news etc than he has at school."

He has learned a bunch of un-scientific tik tok hearsay from friends, movies and social media you mean

School is where he should learn scientific facts from the best scientific minds

sadly it seems teachers are more than happy to peddle BS left wing pop-agenda from social media too "people are born into the wrong sex bodies, only by cutting off your boobs will you not commit suicide.."

Old 02-05-2023, 08:13 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He is 12

I'm happy your lad turns to you. I also find it soothing that there will be thousands and thousands of families as loving and trusting as your family that allows a child that comfort annie.

So why even bother teaching stuff like this in school now when kids learn more on the internet though?

And why isnt it about acceptance anymore?

Why is it now about the teaching of doing the acts they hear about on tik tok and places like that?

Last edited by parmnion; 02-05-2023 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:51 PM #16

Quote:
"He has learned far more about sex and relationships from friends, msm, movies, general news etc than he has at school."

He has learned a bunch of un-scientific tik tok hearsay from friends, movies and social media you mean

School is where he should learn scientific facts from the best scientific minds

sadly it seems teachers are more than happy to peddle BS left wing pop-agenda from social media too "people are born into the wrong sex bodies, only by cutting off your boobs will you not commit suicide.."

He has not been taught any of that you are trying peddle... You seem to be believing hype you read.

They have been taught about relationships, reproduction, healthy body issues etc. Don't believe everything you see on tic toc or youtube LT The real world and education is very different.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:55 PM #17

Quote:
I'm happy your lad turns to you. I also find it soothing that there will be thousands and thousands of families as loving and trusting as your family that allows a child that comfort annie.

So why even bother teaching stuff like this in school now when kids learn more on the internet though?

And why isnt it about acceptance anymore?

Why is it now about the teaching of doing the acts they hear about on tik tok and places like that?
Thank you I have always been open and honest with him and hope as he matures he will be the same and always feel he can come to me.

He has not been taught anything that I have any concerns with, his school is also very open with their syllabus and are open to hear about any concerns parents have. I think a lot of this is whipped up by the media and some schools going off piste witn their teaching because it certainly isn't the norm at my sons school or any of the schools my friends kids go to
Old 02-05-2023, 09:03 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Thank you I have always been open and honest with him and hope as he matures he will be the same and always feel he can come to me.

He has not been taught anything that I have any concerns with, his school is also very open with their syllabus and are open to hear about any concerns parents have. I think a lot of this is whipped up by the media and some schools going off piste witn their teaching because it certainly isn't the norm at my sons school or any of the schools my friends kids go to

Relationship studies is in the curriculum so it has to be taught by all secondry schools, and attended by all 1st and 2nd year pupils, so your son will soon come across language and teachings you may not find age appropriate, told to him by a relative stranger he may not feel comfortable with. So just be aware.

Last edited by parmnion; 02-05-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:04 PM #19
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs down

Quote:
He has not been taught any of that you are trying peddle... You seem to be believing hype you read.

They have been taught about relationships, reproduction, healthy body issues etc. Don't believe everything you see on tic toc or youtube LT The real world and education is very different.
how do you know what he taught?

if real education is as you say we would not have the ridiculous social contagion we have at the moment

with women being erased in sports and in speech

surely you are not blind to this??
Old 02-05-2023, 09:15 PM #20
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

No. Although in an ideal world they'll have had these talks with parents/carers first and not be "going in blind". If parents didn't care enough to get there first, well... You snooze you lose, I guess?
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:22 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
No. Although in an ideal world they'll have had these talks with parents/carers first and not be "going in blind". If parents didn't care enough to get there first, well... You snooze you lose, I guess?
If a deeply religious set of parent have already taught their children what's right and wrong in relationships then that would mean someone out with the household are teaching them something completely different to what's in the parents heads. One that goes against the religios belief they want their children to be brought up following.So shouldnt their religious beliefs be accepted like the school want to teach into the children during religios education?

Last edited by parmnion; 02-05-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:50 PM #22

Quote:
how do you know what he taught?

if real education is as you say we would not have the ridiculous social contagion we have at the moment

with women being erased in sports and in speech

surely you are not blind to this??
I know what he is taught because I speak to my kid and he tells me. I also know his headteacher personally... I am present and aware pf his education and I dare you to say otherwise. I may not be aware of what he is chats to friends anout but I know for damn sure if he was being taught anything inappropriate I would know in a heartbeat, that kid loves a drama

What social contagion? PHSE has nothing to do with what is going on in sport. Again you seem to be catastrphising from youtube videos
Old 02-05-2023, 09:52 PM #23

Quote:
Relationship studies is in the curriculum so it has to be taught by all secondry schools, and attended by all 1st and 2nd year pupils, so your son will soon come across language and teachings you may not find age appropriate, told to him by a relative stranger he may not feel comfortable with. So just be aware.
Nothing he will be taught in school will be topics I jave not covered. Its not like they have live sex shows. I have no concerns.....
Old 03-05-2023, 08:55 AM #24
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
For balance... Let's not forget all the other religions ithat are MUCH more militant than the Christians. Had to say this because I've seen the Christians take an unfair bashing on here lately when the reality is other religions are far less accepting.

Last edited by Livia; 03-05-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:03 AM #25
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
So shouldnt their religious beliefs be accepted like the school want to teach into the children during religious education?
Exactly the opposite; schools should teach observable knowledge and theory and not pander to anti-scientific religious dogma. If parents want their kids to be taught about spooky ghosts in caves and bearded men in the sky (as fact, rather than as myth), they can homeschool or send them to a specific religious school. Fairy tales have no place in a secular state education other than as stories.

I would be concerned if high school sex ed classes actually were "peddling an agenda" but as far as I can tell from actual real-world accounts that isn't happening, or at least, it certainly isn't happening here. Yet? Who knows, but currently it isn't.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
allowed, children, education, parents, relationship, withdraw