Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Big Brother 2023 - ITV2 Big Brother UK (BB20) started October 8th 2023 on ITV2 and ITVX.

Old 19-11-2023, 03:46 PM #1

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:
Default Great post on another forum about race/how the public voted etc

Quote:
"Given the overt anti-asian racism from Trish, a black woman, it seems arbitrary to draw the white/non-white divide when looking at concepts like racism and bigotry.

To try and extrapolate from Big Brother results racial biases and/or other prejudices is like claiming you can look into someone's soul by reading their palms. It's random.

Here's some stats from Big Brother pertaining to race and gender.

1. The winner was mixed race.
2. Every male in the final was gay.
3. Two of the three women in the final were non-white.
4. The most hated housemate of the entire series was a straight, white male (Paul).
5. When the Trish/Paul, house divide was at its peak, the housemates that got the biggest cheers when their names were read out were Trish and Noki, two black women. The housemates who got the biggest boos were Paul and Olivia. Both white, both straight.

Now I actually liked Trish and didn't like Paul. I'd have cheered Trish if I was at those eviction nights. But if I wanted to I could put all those stats together and decide Britain hated white people (in particular white men, in particular straight men). But that would be silly. As is the idea Noki finishing 5th and Yinrun finishing 4th means anything pertaining to racial biases."
Also wanna add, Kerry was probably the most hated female, a straight white woman.

Pretty much debunks those absolutely desperate to yell "RACISM" and every other turn.
Old 19-11-2023, 03:54 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

None of that takes away from the racism that was aimed at Trish, Noky and Yinrun, nice try though
Old 19-11-2023, 03:58 PM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs down

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 03:59 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
None of that takes away from the racism that was aimed at Trish, Noky and Yinrun, nice try though

Or that Paul , Olivia and Kerry all behaved horribly in the house whilst none of the others quoted were ..

In fact you could say that Trish and Yinrun were everything good about Britain ( henve the cheers ) and the other three were just an embarrassment 95% of the time ( cue the boos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Zizu; 19-11-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 04:00 PM #5

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Share the racism that you've seen aimed at those 3 HM's so we can discuss it.

Trish is massive racist herself according to her tweets. Just think, if she felt that was acceptable to post, imagine the stuff she said behind closed doors.

Yinrun had the win, but then all we did is see her cry every HL show, it got a bit samey. Everyone loved her, she was always cheered.

Noky was saved countless times. No one ever had a bad word to say about her. She was a good HM, and a lovely sweet person. But she didn't have a big enough personality to win. That's how BB works.
Old 19-11-2023, 04:04 PM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Or that Paul , Olivia and Kerry all behaved horribly in the house whilst none of the others quoted were ..

That's not the point at all Zizu. Yes, they did behave badly, and were pretty unlikable over all. But if people were voting purely on race alone, that wouldn't matter. People would have voted to get the non whites out, and keep all the whites in. That's how being racist works. You look past that the people might be horrible characters, the fact that they're white, and the others are non white means voters will vote to get non whites out. But none of that happened.

Only confirmed racist, homophobe, disabled hater was Trish.
Old 19-11-2023, 04:14 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Share the racism that you've seen aimed at those 3 HM's so we can discuss it.

Trish is massive racist herself according to her tweets. Just think, if she felt that was acceptable to post, imagine the stuff she said behind closed doors.

Yinrun had the win, but then all we did is see her cry every HL show, it got a bit samey. Everyone loved her, she was always cheered.

Noky was saved countless times. No one ever had a bad word to say about her. She was a good HM, and a lovely sweet person. But she didn't have a big enough personality to win. That's how BB works.

Noky is a nice girl but she presented as being self obsessed and rarely showed anything but passing interest in any of the others .. she virtually turned every conversation onto herself !

Old 19-11-2023, 04:15 PM #8

arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 04:17 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Noky is a nice girl but she presented as being self obsessed and rarely showed anything but passing interest in any of the others .. she virtually turned every conversation onto herself !

She was my favourite, her and then Trish, then Yinrun, then probably Henry and Jordan.

A couple of people brought up her potential "fakeness" in the house, but the public never had a bad word to say about her. Debunking Liam's desperate need to see racism in everything.
Old 19-11-2023, 04:18 PM #10

Quote:
That's not the point at all Zizu. Yes, they did behave badly, and were pretty unlikable over all. But if people were voting purely on race alone, that wouldn't matter. People would have voted to get the non whites out, and keep all the whites in. That's how being racist works. You look past that the people might be horrible characters, the fact that they're white, and the others are non white means voters will vote to get non whites out. But none of that happened.

Only confirmed racist, homophobe, disabled hater was Trish.

We will never know … after all Jordan to all intents and purposes presented as a white male and he won the whole thing by a landslide ( even more you exclude the fake Facebook votes )

Old 19-11-2023, 04:20 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

Eleven years ago

What were your views like 11 years ago ?

Old 19-11-2023, 04:21 PM #12
You know my methods

You know my methods

Exclamation

Quote:
Eleven years ago

What were your views like 11 years ago ?

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 04:24 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
We will never know … after all Jordan to all intents and purposes presented as a white male and he won the whole thing by a landslide ( even more you exclude the fake Facebook votes )

Jordan presented Jordan. Racial stereotyping works both ways. You can't agree with Dylan or who ever it was that is was ok to warn Trish about coming across as a "angry black woman", the same way you can';t say "Jordan acted like a white man".
Old 19-11-2023, 04:25 PM #14
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

It's a bit reductionist to only focus on popularity and cheers though. You're expecting any racism to be really explicit and on the nose but it's rarely like that. It's more about how non white housemates can face increased scrutiny and damaging stereotypes. Trish talked about this often and it probably says a lot that her and Noky both felt like they were impacted negatively by people's perceptions and assumptions given that they're actually very different both in background and personality.

I'm really not one to shout racism at any thing but if it's something that both black housemates have talked about then it's surely worth listening and reflecting on rather than just shut it down as not being an issue because they got a few cheers on eviction night?
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 04:33 PM #15

Quote:
Jordan presented Jordan. Racial stereotyping works both ways. You can't agree with Dylan or who ever it was that is was ok to warn Trish about coming across as a "angry black woman", the same way you can';t say "Jordan acted like a white man".

I meant he looks white not mixed race if you’re suggesting that thousands voted on skin colour alone

Last edited by Zizu; 19-11-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 19-11-2023, 04:37 PM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
It's a bit reductionist to only focus on popularity and cheers though. You're expecting any racism to be really explicit and on the nose but it's rarely like that. It's more about how non white housemates can face increased scrutiny and damaging stereotypes. Trish talked about this often and it probably says a lot that her and Noky both felt like they were impacted negatively by people's perceptions and assumptions given that they're actually very different both in background and personality.

I'm really not one to shout racism at any thing but if it's something that both black housemates have talked about then it's surely worth listening and reflecting on rather than just shut it down as not being an issue because they got a few cheers on eviction night?
…that’s exactly all a part of the social experiment aspect to it as well and what we hope from it and why we’d rather not have civilian housemates who are more self promoting in the house…but people are chosen because of the various diversities on them…to listen to them and to provoke and encourage discussion …
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 04:38 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

To be fair if she will get lambasted if she deletes them or not

She should give an interview to explain what on earth she was thinking at the time of the tweets and where she stands now

Old 19-11-2023, 04:44 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

White people being booed and evicted, again, doesn’t take away from the racism directed at the women of colour
Old 19-11-2023, 05:05 PM #19
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

1. The winner was mixed race….it would seem so, I don’t know any of his multi cultural heritage…but that has no bearing on whether he or other housemates have felt any racial micro-aggressions in their time in the house…

2. Every male in the final was gay….they indeed were….they were the ‘triangle’…I’m not sure they were all gay..Jordan might have felt romantic attractions to females also…maybe bi sexual/I’m not sure…and I’m not sure with Matty also…
There were other LGBTQ housemates and they didn’t reach the final…also, in a diverse house with a well represented LGBTQ, I’m not sure what that stat the poster gives would indicate or suggest…

3. Two of the three women in the final were non-white….they were …and I think that they were both very gentle and sweet and lovely in their character, which would be one reason that they were finalists…another, I think for Yinrun, is that she hadn’t faced eviction before, had she…?…if she had, I think that she might have been voted out because she would have been seen as competition for a favourite…/…similar to Trish…(…although, obviously both having different characters also..)…

4. The most hated housemate of the entire series was a straight, white male (Paul)….Yinrun’s party-gate was the main reason for his unpopularity, I think…

5. When the Trish/Paul, house divide was at its peak, the housemates that got the biggest cheers when their names were read out were Trish and Noki, two black women. The housemates who got the biggest boos were Paul and Olivia. Both white, both straight….I’m not sure that Trish and Noky got the biggest cheers until Yinrun’s party night..Noky because Paul’s behaviour toward her was bullying …and Trish because she spoke out against the bullying behaviour that was happening…

…if there were racial micro aggressions in the house and some housemates felt it …?…and some fans felt it also…?…then none of those statistics would have any bearing or any relevance in saying that wasn’t so…
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 05:11 PM #20

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
White people being booed and evicted, again, doesn’t take away from the racism directed at the women of colour
If you mean a few nob heads on twitter, than that is a true representation of the voting British public. You can't just say there was racism with no proof. Assuming so is just straight up ignorance.

Isn't assuming racism in any form considered slightly racist anyway?

It's all you good saying racism was directed at them, i can say im a millionare, doesn't mean it's true. Share the evidence in this thread and we can discuss it.
Old 19-11-2023, 06:37 PM #21
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…that’s exactly all a part of the social experiment aspect to it as well and what we hope from it and why we’d rather not have civilian housemates who are more self promoting in the house…but people are chosen because of the various diversities on them…to listen to them and to provoke and encourage discussion …
Yeah agreed and you can tell that someone like Henry found it quite eye opening in that regard, I remember a scene where Trish and Noky were talking about stereotypes and he made a comment about how interesting it was because he wouldn't have considered things that way etc (and I wouldn't have done either tbh)

Last edited by MTVN; 19-11-2023 at 06:38 PM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 07:24 PM #22
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Why is the Bieber tweet in this portfolio?

Nearly everyone that follows Pop Music made the exact same jokes back then, if anything it's a dig at Bieber who is a straight man as far as I'm aware.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 07:27 PM #23

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

And as I've said before it all hit the fan , Trish was getting labelled " aggressive" despite other hm's like Olivia screeching and having outbursts herself . Sheep boy Tom especially loved using the word " aggressive" ,yet he kept sulking over his hero Paul getting called " bully" .

Noky was at the bottom of every poll in favourite to win / least popular, until the Halloween killer nom ....and she was still pretty low down, until recently when Tom & Chanelle became the most disliked.
Old 19-11-2023, 07:28 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

In fact you could say that Trish and Yinrun were everything good about Britain ( henve the cheers ) and the other three were just an embarrassment 95% of the time ( cue the boos)

There's only two things good about Britain at the moment.

1. We're not Russia

2. We're not the US

Otherwise we're in a really bizarre society at the moment that no BB Housemate is going to be able to fix.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 07:35 PM #25
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
"Women of colour?"

Such a racist term.

They're just women.

Did you add the "colour" part because you don't see them just as women?

Last edited by Alf; 19-11-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
forum, great, post, public, race or how, voted